Menu

hunky old actors

What's your fav CG movie?

Have you seen "I was a Male War Bride"? Hysterical! I love him in "North by Northwest". That scene where he's sneaking through the woman's room and she yells, "Stop!", then puts on her glasses and says, "Stop" in a completely different tone of voice. :lol: Here's a

to the scene.

I've heard rumors over the years that he was gay. I don't believe it, but honestly, don't really care. If cared about the personal lives of actors/actresses, I wouldn't watch anything!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Robert Redford story for you all. :D I went to college at BYU in Provo and Mr. Redford owns the backside of the mountain down there (Sundance, his ski resort). Anyway, it's just up Provo canyon, and it's the closest place to ski, so we went there quite a bit.

One snowy winter day in the mid-80s, my girlfriends and I piled into her crappy Datsun with even crappier tires, to play hooky from school and ski. Well, before the canyon was widened, the entrance to Sundance was a "blink and you'll miss it" turn off the road. My girlfriend blinked and made a fast turn to pull into the parking lot. Not a good idea in the crappy 70s Datsun she was driving. We got stuck...right in the entrance.

So, we're sitting in the car, trying to get it to move and spinning the wheels, when we hear this *tap, tap, tap* on the driver's side window. My friend rolls down the window (yes, manually, :lol:) and Robert Redford is standing there. "You ladies need some help?" :blink: "We're stuck." "Yes, I see that. (grin that made us all melt) How about I give you a little push into the parking lot?" "Why sure, Mr. Redford, whatever you like." :drool: "You can call me, Bob." *stupid giggling ensues from the car*

So, "Bob" returns to his pick-up and we all try to keep our composure inside the Datsun, because, well, he can see us, but a few girly squeals were emitted. My friend who is driving manages to put the car in neutral and keep her foot off the brake (no small feat under the circumstances, I assure you) and "Bob" pushes us into the parking lot, so his other paying customers can have access to the resort.

Anyway, we all jump out of the car, effusively thanking him (of course, he needed to hugged for performing such a valiant deed :D) and he was very sweet. He talked to us for about ten minutes, checked my friend's tires and told her to replace the rear ones, and then radioed to the admissions booth to give us each free lift tickets and a free meal at the Tree Room (his on-site restaurant). From that point on, we were all in :001_wub:

Just an FYI, for those who like short men....he's short. I'm 5'6" and he was barely taller than me.

Oh, my, I am all giggly just reading this. :o

Paul Newman is my main man, but I also love Cary Grant and Gregory Peck. Jimmy Stewart, while not classically handsome, steals my heart in almost every movie he's in. His sweet personality reminds me so much of my husband.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned young Marlon Brando. Yowza!

I have a Robert Redford story for you all. :D I went to college at BYU in Provo and Mr. Redford owns the backside of the mountain down there (Sundance, his ski resort). Anyway, it's just up Provo canyon, and it's the closest place to ski, so we went there quite a bit.

One snowy winter day in the mid-80s, my girlfriends and I piled into her crappy Datsun with even crappier tires, to play hooky from school and ski. Well, before the canyon was widened, the entrance to Sundance was a "blink and you'll miss it" turn off the road. My girlfriend blinked and made a fast turn to pull into the parking lot. Not a good idea in the crappy 70s Datsun she was driving. We got stuck...right in the entrance.

So, we're sitting in the car, trying to get it to move and spinning the wheels, when we hear this *tap, tap, tap* on the driver's side window. My friend rolls down the window (yes, manually, :lol:) and Robert Redford is standing there. "You ladies need some help?" :blink: "We're stuck." "Yes, I see that. (grin that made us all melt) How about I give you a little push into the parking lot?" "Why sure, Mr. Redford, whatever you like." :drool: "You can call me, Bob." *stupid giggling ensues from the car*

So, "Bob" returns to his pick-up and we all try to keep our composure inside the Datsun, because, well, he can see us, but a few girly squeals were emitted. My friend who is driving manages to put the car in neutral and keep her foot off the brake (no small feat under the circumstances, I assure you) and "Bob" pushes us into the parking lot, so his other paying customers can have access to the resort.

Anyway, we all jump out of the car, effusively thanking him (of course, he needed to hugged for performing such a valiant deed :D) and he was very sweet. He talked to us for about ten minutes, checked my friend's tires and told her to replace the rear ones, and then radioed to the admissions booth to give us each free lift tickets and a free meal at the Tree Room (his on-site restaurant). From that point on, we were all in :001_wub:

Just an FYI, for those who like short men....he's short. I'm 5'6" and he was barely taller than me.

ok, first of all, I'm not sure if you're trying to make me jealous about that story, but I'm glad you didn't hint to my boyfriend flirting with you and your friends. That simply would NOT have been cool.

Secondly, you're a liar flat out. Now I don't know if I can believe any bit of your story. My boyfriend IS 7 feet tall. Now don't you lie about him again.

:lol:

(WAY cool story but it should have been ME!!!)

Paul Newman is my main man, but I also love Cary Grant and Gregory Peck. Jimmy Stewart, while not classically handsome, steals my heart in almost every movie he's in. His sweet personality reminds me so much of my husband.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned young Marlon Brando. Yowza!

marlon_brando-1.jpg

:iagree:James Steward sure DID seem like such a sweet man!!!

Oh MY!!!! I could not stop giggling the whole time I was reading your story.:001_wub:

Sorry, I had to post again in this thread so I could get my 1,000th post. :D

Congrats :)

And for the record, Jimmy Stewart is a favorite of mine too. He was at his best playing opposite Cary Grant ala Philadelphia story. He was always so sweet and approachable. I love Paul Newman for his long term devotion to his wife and to his ideals. What a wonderful man he was.

Barb

About 20 years ago I knew an older guy who used to own a nightclub in New York back in the 50s. He said Cary Grant came in all the time (along with many other actors). He said that in real life Cary Grant was just like he was in the movies--very polite, funny, as a pp said, debonair. That made me happy!

Cary Grant was awesome:

Bringing Up Baby

Philadelphia Story

Father Goose

I was a Male War Bride

Arsenic and Old Lace

Operation Petticoat

My Favorite Wife

:001_wub:I have them all, this is making me want to re-watch them, haven't been into movies much lately.

Was Gregory Peck the one who was in Big Sky and Designing Woman?

:001_wub:

Cary Grant was awesome:

Bringing Up Baby

Philadelphia Story

Father Goose

I was a Male War Bride

Arsenic and Old Lace

Operation Petticoat

My Favorite Wife

:001_wub:I have them all, this is making me want to re-watch them, haven't been into movies much lately.

Was Gregory Peck the one who was in Big Sky and Designing Woman?

:001_wub:

Oh, Gregory Peck. I forgot about him. He's was a favorite of mine too.

Thanks for this thread!

Denise

My friend and I just watched Charade a few weeks ago. I had never before seen anything with Cary Grant in it, but I really liked it. And Audrey Hepburn, so amazing.

I always liked Michael Callan from Cat Ballou. And Denzel Washington (he's old to me:blushing:)

My friend and I just watched Charade a few weeks ago. I had never before seen anything with Cary Grant in it, but I really liked it. )

blink blink. You poor deprived child. Okay, time for you to have a Cary Grant marathon

You must see

To Catch a Thief with Grace Kelly.

The Philadephia Story with Jimmy Stewart, and Katharine Hepburn (one of my all time favorites)

Bringing up Baby with Katharine Hepburn

Arsenic and Old Lace

Operation Petticoat with Tony Curtis

and I'm sure other's have had great CG movie suggestions, I start mixing movies up after awhile . . . .

My friend and I just watched Charade a few weeks ago. I had never before seen anything with Cary Grant in it, but I really liked it. And Audrey Hepburn, so amazing.

I always liked Michael Callan from Cat Ballou. And Denzel Washington (he's old to me:blushing:)

Oh, my word. Discovering Cary Grant for the first time? Lucky, lucky you! He is my all-time favorite. Love. him.

blink blink. You poor deprived child. Okay, time for you to have a Cary Grant marathon

You must see

To Catch a Thief with Grace Kelly.

The Philadephia Story with Jimmy Stewart, and Katharine Hepburn (one of my all time favorites)

Bringing up Baby with Katharine Hepburn

Arsenic and Old Lace

Operation Petticoat with Tony Curtis

and I'm sure other's have had great CG movie suggestions, I start mixing movies up after awhile . . . .

Don't forget Father Goose!

Then there is The Bishop's Wife and Suspicion. I don't think the man made a bad movie.

Jimmy Stewart. Not the classic heart throb, but something about him...Just adore him.

Gregory Peck. One of my all time faves is To Kill A Mockingbird.

Cary Grant. Yummy.

I adore the Philidelphia Story. Completely excellent movie.

Micheal Landon. I was caught btwn wanting to marry him, and wanting him to be my Dad as a kid :lol:

Two that I had mild crushes on as a teen, they are no longer with us:

Michael Landon and Bill Bixby. That was Pa on Little House and Dr. David Bannister on The Hulk.

Gee, I'm old.

Michael Landon was one of the sons on Bonanza, and Bill Bixby was courtship of eddie's father . . . . (or my favorite martian)

Edited by gardenmom5