Menu

Do you care what your child(ren) grow up to do (work-wise)??

Do you care what your child(ren) grow up to be (occupationally)?  

1. 1. Do you care what your child(ren) grow up to be (occupationally)?

• Yes
    • No
    • Obligatory Other (please explain)

I voted no because I do not have any strong preferences. I want them to be themselves, to follow their hearts, to be happy. I do not care if they are rich doctors or poor artists.

I want them to know they can do what they want to do- anything really. I trust that by knowing that they will be attracted to what is in their hearts for themselves.

My kids are pretty down to earth. They will find a way.

I voted no but I guess I made some assumptions about the question based on my kids and our family culture - they would never choose anything illegal or immoral and we have always known they would decide what to do based on what they love and what fits their talents and personality. That is part of the reason we homeschool, so we can develop individual talents. So given that, no, I don't care what they choose because I know they will choose what is best for them, and, so far have. (journalist, MBA in process, and cosmetologist)

I'm afraid Tazzie might end up a politician. I'd prefer assassin :lol:

I agree with the legal/moral statements.

I'm not so fussed on the whole 'make them happy' etc ideology. Yes, that would be the ultimate, but if one of my kids figures that making sculptures out of macaroni and glitter is their life's calling, they'd better find a job that pays their bills, even if they're not overjoyed, b/c they're not living with me forever :lol:

I'll be happy for them if they find something that doesn't want to make them chew glass rather than go to work, and supports them adequately. IF they're among the few blessed that their passion can support them, then I'll be overjoyed.

I will say that I'm against anyone else joining the military. One kid is enough, imo. I know I don't get a vote, but I won't be encouraging it at all. Canadian military doesn't take adequate care of their personnel, imo, for starters.

Provided it is legal, reasonably safe and not immoral or unethical and that they do it in an ethical way, I do not care. I would rather have an honest plumber or grocery store clerk for a son than a ponzi scheming broker or a doctor who runs insurance scams. So in my mind well paid, highly trained professional does not necessarily mean success, if that success is ill gotten.

I want them to do things that make them happy, provide a reasonable level of financial security and don't violate any of the values we've tried to teach them.

Other than that, no, I don't care. I don't need them to "make my sacrifices worthwhile" by going into careers that provide status or super-high paychecks.

Why on earth would I care?

I will prep them to have options available to them. I would love for them to have the college experience, but I also think trades, etc. can be a viable option. (fwiw we both have advanced degrees in "in demand" fields and still feel that way).

Actually for the kid who is just not college bound trade or vocational school is an excellent option. I saw a news report a couple years ago that said the average age for vocational trades right now is 55. In the next few years there could actually be a shortage of skilled workers in these fields. The technology may change, but we are always going to need electricians and plumbers.

As long as it's legal and they are capable of supporting themselves and any children they decide to have my greatest desire is for them to be happy.

Edited by akmommy

...this is kind of the question on the kitchen table right now as our oldest ds enters the high school years.

He's expressed interest in film making. We've told him that's a nice *hobby* but he really needs to think about a true "bread and butter" career as film making students are "a dime a dozen" and those who have successful careers in this industry are few and far in between.

Yeah, "I'm gonna be a film maker" is NOT what I signed up for in committing to homeschool my child. :thumbdown:

Right now, I think my 6yo (and probably my 2yo) would be thrilled to be a Star Wars sound effects dude!

No, really, I don't care. If they are happy, decent at the job, and paying the bills, and the job is not illegal or immoral, more power to them! The time for snobbery, if there ever was one, is over. There's nothing undignified about doing a manual labor job well. I need my garbage collectors and grocery store cashiers as much as my doctors (and on a regular basis, more than the doctors)!

ETA: As for college, I also don't care about that. I had a great college experience, so I'd ideally want that for my children, but I also want them to do what's right for them. If college isn't the best path to a career, then I am completely fine with that and would rather them not spend all that money if they don't need to.

Oh, and I do care, to some degree, what my daughter does. If she chooses to get married and is blessed with children, I want her to stay home with them. At this point, that's what she wants to do as well, but that may change. Whether or not I encourage her to go to college will depend on her plans at the time, the cost of college, etc. I have no problem with her getting a degree and then not working outside the home, but I don't want her to go into major debt to do that. (And student loan debt for a non-working spouse seems like a hard thing to enter into a marriage with too. I did it myself, but since DH and I had been together for years before I went to college, at least we were able to discuss it and decide that it was worth a small amount of student loan debt for my degree, even though we planned all along for me to SAH and homeschool our children.)

Edited by happypamama

It may be unpopular in some circles, but yes--I do care what my kids do for a career and I begin conversations about it early. I regularly point out things we are able to do--and not do--based on our financial situation and time restraints imposed by my husband's work schedule.

My thought process is--and I'm speaking for myself only, no judgment toward those who feel differently--I don't want them to be boxed into dead-end jobs and the resulting financial hardship. I want them to be able to enjoy the same, or better, lifestyle they've had while under our roof. I want them to be able to homeschool their own children if they wish.

Even with college degrees and good salary/benefits--we have had to make hard choices due to financial constraints. I don't believe that money leads to happiness, but I do know from experience that it is hard to enjoy your family when you are consumed by money worries and crummy bosses.

I also think that our kids will need to make more $$ to keep the same standard of living in the future. One look at our rising grocery bill and college tuition is enough to convince me that unless something drastic happens, they'll need to make more $$ than their father and I do to live comfortably. I hope I'm wrong, but I couldn't forgive myself if I didn't steer them in that direction.

I also want them to be happy going to work. Happy employees make happy spouses and parents. I want my grandkids to live in a cheerful home. I've worked enough crummy jobs in my lifetime to get past the fantasy that you can leave work stress at work and that you don't need a decent job to have an abundant family life. I don't mean wealth, just enough so that the bills can be paid and mom and dad aren't laying awake at night wondering how to pay for an unexpected emergency, or whether they'll be a burden on their kids because they haven't saved enough for retirement or end-of-life care. I'm a planner--I can't help but consider these things, even though they are far from happy thoughts.

I know I probably sound like a real downer--but this is a sore spot for me. Yes, I want my kids to follow their dreams, but I'm also well aware of what a starving artist or a homeless dreamer is because of circles I traveled in prior to marriage and kids. I think it is my responsibility to tell them, 'yes, it would be wonderful to be a pro ballerina, but you should have a fallback and while you're under my authority I will guide you and give you the tools to do that'.

I'm also careful to remind my kids just how much things cost, and what percentage of our salaries go toward that item. For example, the kids joked around about our 'beater' truck for a while. I pointed out that my ds would have to work 6 months at his dream comic store clerk job to buy that clunker truck.

I know I've rambled, but I have some pretty strong convictions on this issue when it comes to our kids. I didn't get that kind of guidance as a teen--and looking back it would have been very helpful to know that hey, that dream job teaching ballet to preschoolers might be fun--but it wasn't going to make a house payment. Some of us need that kind of reality spelled out for us.

Hope my approach doesn't burn me someday--but until God leads me differently, I will encourage our kids to go into a career that will support a one-income family at a decent standard of living or provide worthwhile part-time options for a working parent. As far a what specific job, I don't care--I just want it to be an in demand, reasonably recession proof, decent paying one.

Please excuse the typos, taken some sinus medication and I'm foggy tonight.

Edited by homeschoolally

I voted yes. I do care. I want them to grow up to do a job they love! I love my work and my husband enjoys what he does. I know so many people who are miserable in their jobs. I do not want that for my kids. That is part of why their education is so important. They need a good education to enjoy that freedom. A good education also introduces them to the many possibilities the world has to offer.

I also want them to be good citizens with legal and ethical careers.:001_smile:

...this is kind of the question on the kitchen table right now as our oldest ds enters the high school years.

He's expressed interest in film making. We've told him that's a nice *hobby* but he really needs to think about a true "bread and butter" career as film making students are "a dime a dozen" and those who have successful careers in this industry are few and far in between.

Yeah, "I'm gonna be a film maker" is NOT what I signed up for in committing to homeschool my child. :thumbdown:

Same here.

It may be unpopular in some circles, but yes--I do care what my kids do for a career and I begin conversations about it early. I regularly point out things we are able to do--and not do--based on our financial situation and time restraints imposed by my husband's work schedule.

My thought process is--and I'm speaking for myself only, no judgment toward those who feel differently--I don't want them to be boxed into dead-end jobs and the resulting financial hardship. I want them to be able to enjoy the same, or better, lifestyle they've had while under our roof. I want them to be able to homeschool their own children if they wish.

Even with college degrees and good salary/benefits--we have had to make hard choices due to financial constraints. I don't believe that money leads to happiness, but I do know from experience that it is hard to enjoy your family when you are consumed by money worries and crummy bosses.

I also think that our kids will need to make more $$ to keep the same standard of living in the future. One look at our rising grocery bill and college tuition is enough to convince me that unless something drastic happens, they'll need to make more $$ than their father and I do to live comfortably. I hope I'm wrong, but I couldn't forgive myself if I didn't steer them in that direction.

I also want them to be happy going to work. Happy employees make happy spouses and parents. I want my grandkids to live in a cheerful home. I've worked enough crummy jobs in my lifetime to get past the fantasy that you can leave work stress at work and that you don't need a decent job to have an abundant family life. I don't mean wealth, just enough so that the bills can be paid and mom and dad aren't laying awake at night wondering how to pay for an unexpected emergency, or whether they'll be a burden on their kids because they haven't saved enough for retirement or end-of-life care. I'm a planner--I can't help but consider these things, even though they are far from happy thoughts.

I know I probably sound like a real downer--but this is a sore spot for me. Yes, I want my kids to follow their dreams, but I'm also well aware of what a starving artist or a homeless dreamer is because of circles I traveled in prior to marriage and kids. I think it is my responsibility to tell them, 'yes, it would be wonderful to be a pro ballerina, but you should have a fallback and while you're under my authority I will guide you and give you the tools to do that'.

I'm also careful to remind my kids just how much things cost, and what percentage of our salaries go toward that item. For example, the kids joked around about our 'beater' truck for a while. I pointed out that my ds would have to work 6 months at his dream comic store clerk job to buy that clunker truck.

I know I've rambled, but I have some pretty strong convictions on this issue when it comes to our kids. I didn't get that kind of guidance as a teen--and looking back it would have been very helpful to know that hey, that dream job teaching ballet to preschoolers might be fun--but it wasn't going to make a house payment. Some of us need that kind of reality spelled out for us.

Hope my approach doesn't burn me someday--but until God leads me differently, I will encourage our kids to go into a career that will support a one-income family at a decent standard of living or provide worthwhile part-time options for a working parent. As far a what specific job, I don't care--I just want it to be an in demand, reasonably recession proof, decent paying one.

Please excuse the typos, taken some sinus medication and I'm foggy tonight.

:iagree:

Our older dc are very interested in the performing arts. And they seem to have some talent in those areas (this info coming from professionals, not from me :) ) Like Vanna, we consider those hobbies, so we encourage dc to study in the science or business fields. We want dc to have a marketable degree so they have options when they're older.

We are also teaching the basics of entrepreneurialism.

:001_smile:

I voted other. There are perfectly legal jobs I'd feel like a failure if my children ended up in. That said, none of them are headed in those directions because I've encouraged them to more productive/contributory education. (there are some university degree's out there I consider worthless). I do epxect them to go into a field where they can support themselvs and their families, and giving them the means to positively contribute to society.

This last line makes me feel terribly sorry for your son.

I don't have a specific job picked out for them, but I do want them working jobs that are fulfilling and use their gifts/abilities. I would be disappointed to see them settling for jobs that aren't challenging....which I think will mean different things for each of my kids. I would like to feel like the effort I put into their educations wasn't for nothing. :) Personally, I also hope that if my girls have babies, they have the flexibility to either work from home or stop working altogether, and I hope my son can provide for a wife and kids if he chooses to marry.

I shortened the quote somewhat for length, but I do agree with you in a sense. Unfortunately, we are all restrained by our abilities. I want my dc to do the best they can do with what they've been given. I don't want them to struggle as badly as we have. You have to tailor the talks to the child. My 8yo plans to operate a bulldozer during the day, work his farm at night, and play violin for people on the weekends. I can support that for him, even though it may not pay the best.;)

I shortened the quote somewhat for length, but I do agree with you in a sense. Unfortunately, we are all restrained by our abilities. I want my dc to do the best they can do with what they've been given. I don't want them to struggle as badly as we have. You have to tailor the talks to the child. My 8yo plans to operate a bulldozer during the day, work his farm at night, and play violin for people on the weekends. I can support that for him, even though it may not pay the best.;)

Yes, I'm with you on this. A good example we've pointed out to the kids -- the family who did some grading for us recently. They'd been very successful--no college required. Many of the subcontractors we know (until recently, and I'm hoping it will bounce back) have done very well--electricians, plumbers. The potential is there for someone with strong people-skills and a good work ethic. I'm not fixated on a professional career by any means.

Edited by homeschoolally

I voted other. There are perfectly legal jobs I'd feel like a failure if my children ended up in. That said, none of them are headed in those directions because I've encouraged them to more productive/contributory education. (there are some university degree's out there I consider worthless). I do epxect them to go into a field where they can support themselvs and their families, and giving them the means to positively contribute to society.

I feel similarly, although "I'd feel like a failure" isn't the terminology I would use. I do want my children to have a very clear understanding that nice homes, vacations and being able to live on one income are not perks that fall from the sky. I talk to my kids about pursuing a marketable skill/degree. There is a very wide range of life paths that I find acceptable, but I would not say, "Whatever makes you happy." The reality is what makes you happy may not put bread on the table and a large segment of the population has to do what is feasible for pay and leave happiness-making to the weekends.

DH would be happy to ride motorcycles for a living, but, since he's not Ricky Carmicheal, he has to tolerate plumbing and construction for bread and leave motorcycles for his free time. ;)

I want them to follow their passions and dreams, not just have a job.

I want them to enjoy what they do and have the resources and abilities to fulfill those passions.

I am 99% sure they will need special training in their given pursuits (i.e.: college or technical training.)

My oldest wants is Aspie and wants to do something in the animation/movie/artistic world. The others are undecided.

Dawn

Just little old me knows several ex-"film making students". (I went to a college pregnant with them.) Film students are out in number, and while most of them don't become Woody Allen, the ones I know run a film library, edited films, manage location arrangements, is the A/V manager for a college, is a stage manager of a large playhouse in NJ, and designs promos. Film is not a puny industry, and thousands are employed in it.

I hope your son pleasantly surprises you. :)

I voted other.

I don't have a specific vision for my children's future, and think it would be useless if I did - they're people with a mind of their own, after all! I do care about job fulfillment, though. Doing a job you hate or even mildly dislike can make life a lot less enjoyable.

I would like my children to find a profession they are good at and enjoy, not just a job to pay the bills. Of course, I hope they will not have any financial difficulties too.

I posted NO because success, or career field, is not important to me. Prosperity is NOT important to me. That they're happy, GOOD people with morals and a compassionate heart, and can take care of themselves with responsibility and reliability - that is what is most important to me. And to be in a field/career they're passionate about would be WONDERFUL. Ds19 is so far making me VERY proud. He's still too young to truly judge but is passionate about his career of choice, is a hard worker, is reliable, and has a heart to make ANY mother proud.

I really don't care, as long as they live a life pleasing to God, and can provide for themselves and their family. Whether that is a white-collar job or a blue-collar job or whatever else, that doesn't matter.

My husband is an attorney and owns a financial business; he has three degrees. He is the first to say that although he love(d) his job, he has no expectations for our children to follow in his path.

The "college experience" is not a priority at all... It would simply be a means for our children to attain their career goal, if it's necessary. Wisdom, motivation, a desire to self-educate, and an open-mind are traits we have tried to instill in our children; college may or may not be part of that.

Yes. I would not want them to be stippers/ onp playboy / bikini bar ....basically no selling of their bodies. Besides that I just want them to be happy. Happy with clothes on.

:iagree: I wish you would have posted before me!

That sums it up nicely. I just want them to be happy. Happy with clothes on.

:lol:

I posted NO because success, or career field, is not important to me. Prosperity is NOT important to me. That they're happy, GOOD people with morals and a compassionate heart, and can take care of themselves with responsibility and reliability - that is what is most important to me. And to be in a field/career they're passionate about would be WONDERFUL. Ds19 is so far making me VERY proud. He's still too young to truly judge but is passionate about his career of choice, is a hard worker, is reliable, and has a heart to make ANY mother proud.

I really don't care, as long as they live a life pleasing to God, and can provide for themselves and their family. Whether that is a white-collar job or a blue-collar job or whatever else, that doesn't matter.

My husband is an attorney and owns a financial business; he has three degrees. He is the first to say that although he love(d) his job, he has no expectations for our children to follow in his path.

The "college experience" is not a priority at all... It would simply be a means for our children to attain their career goal, if it's necessary. Wisdom, motivation, a desire to self-educate, and an open-mind are traits we have tried to instill in our children; college may or may not be part of that.

I think the bolded bits are assuming a lot. You voted no, but you are assuming the bolded items will be true. I voted yes, because I do *not* assume those things are a given.

Just little old me knows several ex-"film making students". (I went to a college pregnant with them.) Film students are out in number, and while most of them don't become Woody Allen, the ones I know run a film library, edited films, manage location arrangements, is the A/V manager for a college, is a stage manager of a large playhouse in NJ, and designs promos. Film is not a puny industry, and thousands are employed in it.

I hope your son pleasantly surprises you. :)

Interesting field applications -- are any of these ppl supporting a wife and family? (My son would like to have a wife and family someday.) Are they committed Christians and church members? This is one of many goals for my son/children as well and this is why I think film making might be a good hobby, but not a good career for my son.

This last line makes me feel terribly sorry for your son.
:confused:

My 6 yr old's current goal is to be a computer programmer/artist/writer for the Neopets website. I don't have the heart to tell her that the chance that the site will still exist in another 20 or so years is pretty slim...

I don't really care what profession she picks, but I want her to be able to support herself/her family (not saying that her family can't make the same choices her father and I have, which is to have a parent at home and live on one income-but I've made sure I keep my professional training and status up to date and my contacts in my field so I COULD go back to work and support the family if we needed it) , and to pick something that's legal, ethical, and moral.

Edited by dmmetler

I think the bolded bits are assuming a lot. You voted no, but you are assuming the bolded items will be true. I voted yes, because I do *not* assume those things are a given.

You're assuming that a good, hard-working individual in an ordinary job will probably struggle to earn enough to support a decent standard of living for their family. That may be true, but it's an indictment against the society we live in, and has little to do with a parent's aspirations, hopes, dreams for their offspring. I would like to dream that my children could work at whatever best suit their talents, abilities and inclinations and still be able to live reasonably comfortable lives. Anyone who works hard to support themselves, and contributes to society, should be able to live above subsistence level. I dream.

Cassy

Yes. There are things that I would not want my children to do because they go against my values. And I'm talking about legal employment, not something like drug dealer or prostitute (which is actually legal in some places).

For example ... if one of my children grew up to run a slaughterhouse ... I would care.

Tara