Menu

Have any of your children done this?

Dd18 called a hair salon today to see if they took walk-ins. She then put the phone up to my ear and said, "What does this mean?" I listened and heard "beep, beep, beep, beep!" It was a busy signal!!!! She had never heard a busy signal. She is 18 years old and she's never heard a busy signal!!!!

I guess since most folks have answering machines/services now, a busy signal is a rare thing, but I had no idea it was that rare.

Anyone else have this happen?

Dd18 called a hair salon today to see if they took walk-ins. She then put the phone up to my ear and said, "What does this mean?" I listened and heard "beep, beep, beep, beep!" It was a busy signal!!!! She had never heard a busy signal. She is 18 years old and she's never heard a busy signal!!!!

I guess since most folks have answering machines/services now, a busy signal is a rare thing, but I had no idea it was that rare.

:lol: That is hysterical! My kids have heard a busy signal but just today I said something about a test and DS8 asked, "What's a test?" So, there are definitely experience gaps here. :tongue_smilie:

:svengo:

I'm afraid my kids don't even know how to use the phone yet. I do need to teach them how to dial 911.

A few weeks ago ds was asked to pick up the phone to see if the line was working (we were having some internet/phone problems). He picked up the phone and kept looking at us funny. We asked if there was a dial tone and he responded, "I don't know what is going on; there is a strange noise." We realized he had just used "redial" or called on a cell phone and had never heard a dial tone.

Actually, YES!!! My daughter was listening to the buzz signal and saying "the phone is ringing funny" while calling her grandparents at home. This just happened to us last week.

Similarly, we have cell phones from another area code, but have not changed the numbers. Monday my son (9) tried to call us from a land line and got "this call cannot be completed...", gave up and just waited for us to show up. His response to not calling us, "the phones here do not seem to work to call your (dad and mom's) numbers"

Not yet. But I was reading Harry Potter 5 to my boys, and when Harry goes into the Ministry of Magic through the phone booth, my kids asked what a phone booth was.

My children would have no clue what a busy signal was, but they'd sure as heck recognize a phone booth... as long as it was blue :lol:

Not yet. But I was reading Harry Potter 5 to my boys, and when Harry goes into the Ministry of Magic through the phone booth, my kids asked what a phone booth was.

I wonder if any of mine do. I'm thinking they must've seen one in a movie at least. Better check.:D

:lol: That is hysterical! My kids have heard a busy signal but just today I said something about a test and DS8 asked, "What's a test?" So, there are definitely experience gaps here. :tongue_smilie:

I love that! What's a test!! Oh, the joys of homeschooling.:)

:svengo:

I'm afraid my kids don't even know how to use the phone yet. I do need to teach them how to dial 911.

I'd better check on that too.

Yes! That happened to ds a year ago or so. He had no idea what a busy signal was.

Oh, good. I'm glad to know she's not alone.

A few weeks ago ds was asked to pick up the phone to see if the line was working (we were having some internet/phone problems). He picked up the phone and kept looking at us funny. We asked if there was a dial tone and he responded, "I don't know what is going on; there is a strange noise." We realized he had just used "redial" or called on a cell phone and had never heard a dial tone.

That makes sense, but it still is amazing. You just never know.

Yep, mine were confused by it as well.

They also found themselves unable to roll down the windows in our new truck a couple of years ago. You know...the crank? :glare: They were clueless. I have since toted around several teens in the same truck and most of them were similarly clueless.:lol:

They also found themselves unable to roll down the windows in our new truck a couple of years ago. You know...the crank? :glare: They were clueless. I have since toted around several teens in the same truck and most of them were similarly clueless.:lol:

What I think is funny is that even though most cars have automatic windows, people still do the "crank in the air" motion when they want you to roll down your window. At least the adults I know do this. I wonder what our kids think when we do that.:lol:

We were reading Socks by Beverly Cleary today and they mentioned dialing on a rotary phone. I mentioned to DH that Little Librarian would have no idea what that even was. I'm going to youtube it so she'll know how we used to dial. Or course, we don't even have a landline anymore so she pretty much doesn't understand the concept of a phone plugged into the wall.

My children would have no clue what a busy signal was, but they'd sure as heck recognize a phone booth... as long as it was blue :lol:

LOL. Little Librarian and my niece are the same way. That they would know. They'd probably run up to it hoping for a ride too. :001_smile:

What I think is funny is that even though most cars have automatic windows, people still do the "crank in the air" motion when they want you to roll down your window. At least the adults I know do this. I wonder what our kids think when we do that.:lol:

300 years from now people will be making that motion in hoovercrafts and will all wonder where it came from. Similar to our strange expressions today like "chew the fat" or "on his high horse".

My kids would have no idea what the busy signal is either. A few of them don't even really know to dial a complete phone number -- aren't phone numbers just 1 or 2 digits on speed dial? None of us even KNOW phone numbers anymore.

Seriously, if I didn't have my cell phone I could not call any one of my immediate family members because I only know that number they are on speed dial. RIDICULOUS

Here's another one . . . just this week while eating lunch we mentioned the phrase "carbon copy". My oldest looked at me and said, "what IS carbon copy anyway? What does that even mean?

Tried to explain the best I could but it's pretty difficult since that is such a foreign concept to them (probably to some on these boards as well). I told my hubby about it later and I started wondering if there is anywhere that we could even show the kids what carbon paper even was?

We were reading Socks by Beverly Cleary today and they mentioned dialing on a rotary phone. I mentioned to DH that Little Librarian would have no idea what that even was. I'm going to youtube it so she'll know how we used to dial. Or course, we don't even have a landline anymore so she pretty much doesn't understand the concept of a phone plugged into the wall.

LOL. Little Librarian and my niece are the same way. That they would know. They'd probably run up to it hoping for a ride too. :001_smile:

I feel like I should get this reference but I don't. Fill me in?

Can I just say I am loving this thread. My kids maybe several years behind academically but here I sit with a huge grin pleased as punch that they know what a busy signal sounds like, and what a test is, and how to use a phone booth, and a dial tone. They even know what a rotary phone is and how to use it (we have a telephone museum in our town that is free to see all summer, the kids love it because it is only 1 block over). For once I am feeling like my brood of misfits are the head of the class :lol: They also know how to use a typewriter and carbon paper (we play with them at daycare for fun in our "office" center). My kids may not know how to construct a good paragraph or how to do long division but they can utilize old technology perfectly :D

Ds, 14 barely understands area codes and has no idea that he needs to dial 1 before the number to make a long distance call! It's the age of cell phones! He just can't remember. I guess that's good for the phone bill!

Here's another one . . . just this week while eating lunch we mentioned the phrase "carbon copy". My oldest looked at me and said, "what IS carbon copy anyway? What does that even mean?

Tried to explain the best I could but it's pretty difficult since that is such a foreign concept to them (probably to some on these boards as well). I told my hubby about it later and I started wondering if there is anywhere that we could even show the kids what carbon paper even was?

Sure. You can still buy it.

http://www.amazon.com/ROA22915-Carbon-Paper-Tablet-2x11/dp/B002JFOGDG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1314272276&sr=8-4

I have a Woodcock Johnson test from 1988 here and it had some references that my kids didn't know. It asked who Denis the Menace was and it asked about Mount St. Helens. They finally do know who Denis is, but I substituted Mount St. Helens with a 9/11 reference. ;)

Not sure they would know what a busy signal is.

We went to a yard sale and there was a typewriter. My youngest asked quite loudly, "How do you plug this into the computer?"

What a great thread:D My kids are young anyway, but how funny that things have changed so quickly! Suddenly I feel "old" and I'm only 30! Everything mentioned here was totally normal when I was a kid!

They may not know how to use a rotary phone or recognize a busy signal, but I'll bet most of our kids, even the younger ones like my DD, could figure out how to send a text! The things we need to teach are different - like when my DD goes off to call her cousin and comes back five minutes later saying, "Nobody is answering!" I have to tell her that you can't just let it ring forever and ever because they are busy talking to someone else!

My 8 year old asked me the other day what a typewriter was. We googled it to find a picture for him. I wrote papers on mine when I was in high school, and I graduated in 1993!

I kinda liked rotary phones...

Dd12 has wanted me to buy her a typewriter ever since she saw the Kit movie (American Girl). She thinks it would much more fun to type on it instead of the boring computer!!!

:lol: Mine probably wouldn't know if they heard one. They saw a rotary phone at a Goodwill, had no clue what it was. I don't think they'd know what an answering machine was, either. I also found an old cassette tape in my van... they're still working their minds around that one.

Can I just say I am loving this thread. My kids maybe several years behind academically but here I sit with a huge grin pleased as punch that they know what a busy signal sounds like, and what a test is, and how to use a phone booth, and a dial tone. They even know what a rotary phone is and how to use it (we have a telephone museum in our town that is free to see all summer, the kids love it because it is only 1 block over). For once I am feeling like my brood of misfits are the head of the class :lol: They also know how to use a typewriter and carbon paper (we play with them at daycare for fun in our "office" center). My kids may not know how to construct a good paragraph or how to do long division but they can utilize old technology perfectly :D

You should be very proud. If all of our kids get transported back in time 70 years then they'll have to rely on your kids to get around. :001_smile: That's a lot of responsibility.

It is amazing the different things our children will grow up knowing. It will happen to them with their children as well.

My funny story has to do with myself being too used to technology though. I was standing outside of my van with all the kids there trying to figure out how to get into my van as the remote wasn't working. I seriously stood there a few too many seconds before the solution dawned on me, put the key in the lock and turn it. :blushing:

It is amazing the different things our children will grow up knowing. It will happen to them with their children as well.

My funny story has to do with myself being too used to technology though. I was standing outside of my van with all the kids there trying to figure out how to get into my van as the remote wasn't working. I seriously stood there a few too many seconds before the solution dawned on me, put the key in the lock and turn it. :blushing:

:lol: :lol: Oh my that is funny!

Mine too! Between dr who and Harry potter, my kids are going to be seriously disappointed with the lack of excitement involved if they ever actually use one!

I just asked my nine year-old if he knew what a busy signal was and he answered, "No, should I?"

I told him it's what used to happen before call waiting.

My 7yo nephew read a sign through the car window not too long ago. It said "Beep Me Plumbing" and listed a phone number. He said, "That's a weird name ... what does Beep Me mean?" I said the phone number must be the plumber's beeper number. You know what's coming next, right?

What's a beeper? :001_huh:

Um, a pager.

What's a pager? :confused:

It's like a cell phone, but it just beeps and you call the number back.

So it's a cell phone?

No, you can't call someone on it, it just flashes a number and you have to find a phone to call them back.

Like you have to borrow someone else's phone?

No, like you pull over and find a pay phone.

What's a pay phone?

:lol:

I don't even know if you can still have a beeper, actually!

Yes! It was funny when that happened, too. Earlier this summer we went to a particular museum that had a phone with a cord. Of all the things around, ds ran to the phone and played and played and played. He's 11 and he thought that was the coolest thing. Another time my kids saw a rotary phone and I stopped and explained how they're used. They think it's fascinating.

Yes! :lol::lol::lol:

Very recently. The boy is 14. :D

I told him it was a busy signal and then had to explain what that was. :D Hysterical.

Still glad to hear I'm not the only one. It still amazes me though. And it makes me feel very old. It's an interesting study in etymology too. I guess this is how words change their meanings over time. If I say "roll down the window" do I really mean "roll"? If I say "dial this telephone number," dial just means "call" and is no longer associated with the actual dial on the phone. Fascinating. :)

I feel like I should get this reference but I don't. Fill me in?

Dr. Who. :)

Actually, Doctor Who's Tardis wasn't strictly a phone booth. It was a police box. In the 1960's in England there were special boxes with a phone in them that only contacted the police. So...it's sort of a phone booth, but you could only make a direct call to the police station if you needed help. They were also used by the police themselves to call in to the station if they needed to.

I bought a typewriter at a yard sale just this past Saturday for $2. It's a manual typewriter and the kids LOVE IT.

It doesn't require electricity. You just pop the paper in, start typing, and you have a completed product in one step. There's no powering up, no passwords, no opening Word, no clicking on "save" or "print", no printer to turn on, no nuthin'.

The kids are having a great time creating documents whenever they want without a wait. It's the weirdest thing, but it's much easier than using a computer if you want a document.

Of course, there's no spell check and the backspace key is pretty much useless (unless I go get some white out.)

LOL! My kids do, thanks to dh's old pick up know how to roll a manual car window down, however they ask if they can "scroll the window down" when in a car.

~Cari