Menu

S/O what won't you do...co-ops

Alyeska

For those of you who said you wouldn't do co-ops, why?

Just curious...

I kinda have a love/hate with our co-op, but it mostly has to do with me. There are a few things I wish the co-op would change, but my kids really enjoy the classes so I suck it up and deal with it.

I have lots of reasons. I'll try to give the Reader's Digest Condensed version.

1- I homeschool b/c I want to control my kids' education. I am not willing to let go of that control. I want to use what I want to use and how I want to use it and be actively involved in teaching my kids w/what I have chosen.

2- I hate interruptions in our school day.

3- I don't like teaching other people's children b/c of #4.

4- I have only ever met a very few people who have the same educational views/standards that I do.

5- The few times I attempted a co-op it ended up being a waste of my time b/c of #4.

6- This is a biggie.......I think co-ops have changed the face of homeschooling. Parents are more easily convinced that they aren't "qualified" to teach something so their children are better served by someone who is. That bothers me on multiple levels, but mostly b/c it is the argument that has been used against legalizing homeschooling since before I started homeschooling.

7- And ironically, most of the teachers in co-ops are not professionals but are simply teaching a course that they have been asked to.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

I don't do co-ops for a number of reasons:

-Many of them have SOF's that are worded to specifically exclude my denomination. Even if they permit families to join without signing the SOF, I wouldn't out of principle.

-My kids are all over the map in terms of their abilities. There's an IEW PAL co-op that would be great for my DS in terms of the writing & memorizing poetry but he'd be bored with the phonics part since he's already reading chapter books.

-Scheduling logistics. My youngest is an a 5 day per week Early Intervention preschool, and I have to make sure that I can make drop-off and pick-up.

My reasons:

- most of the co-ops I encountered are either highly religious Christian or vehemently secular (to the point of being anti-religion). As a moderately religious Jew, neither of these worldviews worked for me.

- Frankly it has to be worth my time. We have a lot going on, and I have a lot I want to cover academically with my kids. The co-op would have to be pretty awesome for me to sacrifice the time, and I think it is highly unlikely I'd ever find a co-op worth that sacrifice.

My kids don't even go to Sunday school anymore because I don't think it is worth the sacrifice of time. I teach them better at home.

We do twice-weekly homeschool PE and several extracurriculars which fills the social need, IMO.

I've not heard anything about co-ops that make me believe what a co-op has to offer outweighs the disadvantages. The classes are out of sync with what I wish the children to be taught, they are too expensive when multiplied by 4, and don't appear more academically rigourous.

Another reason is that I can only handle so many outings a week with the babies. My older children have requested that those outings be social, not academic, in nature.

About Co-ops, I would love to have our co-op be the exception :) I really want it to be academically superior to what's talked about here. Kinda scares me! We have Biology being taught, with labs, and that's more than I want to do at home. If the bar is high enough, isn't there some benefit for peer groups? I'm gonna keep believing this will happen for our co-op! ;)

I am considering using outside classes to teach my kids things that I do not wish to teach, like Latin and music. Or things that benefit from a group, like speech and theater. I don't wish to be involved in a true co-op where I have to teach and my kids have to take what's offered, no matter if it's something we need or want.

We did participate in a co-op for a year. Several reasons I will never do it again:

- it takes a lot of time out of the day

- it did not meet my kids' educational needs, but was basically fluff and glorified playgroup because nobody but us had any academic expectations

and

-it was very hard to fit into my work schedule; I had to use the lunch hour on my busiest day to teach the coop class

The bottom line was that the hassle was just not worth it.

I would reconsider co-op if I could find like-minded people who have similar academic goals. (So far, I have only met one single family in real life who homeschools for academic reasons.)

We have taken some classes in a co-op setting. It was not a true co-op where parents were taking turns instructing, rather more of an alternative (state funded) school for homeschoolers where "qualified" parents or trained teachers could instruct in various subjects.

Even in this setting the academics were somewhat appalling to me. I felt that if I did not sit next to my daughter the entire class that she would have no clue what was happening or what was expected. It seemed unorganized and chaotic. None of the parents had ever heard of classical education and most did not even expect their child to sit in their seats throughout the lesson.

I wish that there was a rigorous, classical co-op around, because I would consider it for things such as music and latin. However, there are always cons, and scheduling with two under 2 will be next to impossible. I found that going out was such an interruption, too. We would never get all our schoolwork done on a co-op day. I just dropped the whole thing after a few months.

The right co-op could be invaluable. I think they exist, but you have to be choosy...

If I had been happy with other people teaching my children, they would still be in public school.

I keep meeting other HS moms, even those who say they practice classical style, who say they get it all done in 2-3 hours per day for a 5th grader. Either their child is Steven Hawking, they don't have the same expectations we do, or they are kidding themselves. For us, 2 hours would cover math and part of either chem or history, but not all of it; and we have a few other subjects to go there. I am not sure I want that person teaching my children if that is their idea of depth for 5th grade. And they probably don't want me anywhere near their kid ;)

I see a lot of busywork out there, and a lot of crafty/coloring pages. My older son hates that and would get nothing out of it.

Hmm, seems that some lump all types of co-ops together.

I mean, there are purely academic co-ops, which usually have certified teachers (or at least parents with degrees in that field), and usually high cost. I don't normally do those because of the reasons other stated. (The HIGH cost with three children, I mean one co-op here asks $250 for each middle/high school course so for three classes, plus add my younger children's class fees, and it would have been over $1000+ for the semester; the academic standards not what I want, etc)

Now, on the other hand, parent led co-ops, where parents band together, teach different classes that are more "fun, yet still educational" type things, especially in elementary, those usually have small fees, and a very social atmosphere. I am talking classes like: Art, Magic School Bus science, Lego Club, Cake Decorating, Book Club, P.E./Volleyball, woodburning; Show-n-Tell; all classes that I would not be doing at home, all classes that my child was taught from a parent which volunteered to lead the class, either they were highly skilled at it, or because they just loved the subject matter. Oh, yes, perhaps these classes are not HIGHLY academic, but I believe I am teaching the academics I want taught at home, so these classes are the fun stuff, some of the fluff that I would NOT do at home, that all children should have some exposure to "fluffy fun". I feel this environment adds in some of the fun that I may not remember to do at home, BECAUSE we are so driven to stay on the hard-core academic path.

I have participated in two highly-organized parent led co-ops.

I do get tired of giving up our Fridays for them,

but for what my children get out of the environment, we do it.

We did not participate in co-op one year, because I wanted my Fridays back,

and ya know, it was really hard to make connections with other HSers (we were new in town that year). I have found that the parent-led co-ops, families are invested in, they come every week. My children actually make FRIENDS there. Other classes, that we just go to the one class, do the class, and then come home, there is much less social interaction. After all, it is a class, with a teacher, so the child should be paying attention and not really socializing right? I mean P.E., or Art, other types of classes that are offered at businesses, etc.

Edited by Samiam

1- I homeschool b/c I want to control my kids' education. I am not willing to let go of that control. I want to use what I want to use and how I want to use it and be actively involved in teaching my kids w/what I have chosen.

4- I have only ever met a very few people who have the same educational views/standards that I do.

5- The few times I attempted a co-op it ended up being a waste of my time b/c of #4.

6- This is a biggie.......I think co-ops have changed the face of homeschooling. Parents are more easily convinced that they aren't "qualified" to teach something so their children are better served by someone who is. That bothers me on multiple levels, but mostly b/c it is the argument that has been used against legalizing homeschooling since before I started homeschooling.

7- And ironically, most of the teachers in co-ops are not professionals but are simply teaching a course that they have been asked to.

Well said. :iagree:

I'm haven't done any yet for many of the same reasons already stated - messes up my schedule, takes a day out of my homeschool, difficulty in getting out with younger kids (2 year old), nothing that seems worth the trouble of doing all that.

I *may* do a Lego club at some point when my youngest is at a better age. We'll see. I think DS would enjoy it, and he'd probably be around more geeky kids like himself. :D But as far as weekly social outlets, he already has Bible class at church twice a week and hockey once a week, so we're covered there. I'd rather him socialize with his brothers than all the other kids.

Wo do a co-op but I would love to not have that interruption during the week. Our co-op day is Wednesday which is not my favorite day. I think I'd like it better if it was on Friday and our school week was over. Plus I have to teach each session so right now while I should be prepping my kids fall stuff I'm trying to put together a 7 week World Geography class for twelve 7-9 year olds.

I couldn't do it if I was just doing it for academic opportunities. Our co-op falls more into the fun classes category which I don't mind much. We did take one year off from doing co-ops which I really enjoyed but it was also the year my older girls were begging to go to school because they were lonely. So we basically do it for social. We're looking for a new church now and if we can find one with a great youth program maybe we could drop the co-op.

Now, on the other hand, parent led co-ops, where parents band together, teach different classes that are more "fun, yet still educational" type things, especially in elementary, those usually have small fees, and a very social atmosphere. I am talking classes like: Art, Magic School Bus science, Lego Club, Cake Decorating, Book Club, P.E./Volleyball, woodburning; Show-n-Tell; all classes that I would not be doing at home, all classes that my child was taught from a parent which volunteered to lead the class, either they were highly skilled at it, or because they just loved the subject matter. Oh, yes, perhaps these classes are not HIGHLY academic, but I believe I am teaching the academics I want taught at home, so these classes are the fun stuff, some of the fluff that I would NOT do at home, that all children should have some exposure to "fluffy fun". I feel this environment adds in some of the fun that I may not remember to do at home, BECAUSE we are so driven to stay on the hard-core academic path.

:iagree: With your whole post, but this in particular.

I adore my co-op groups and would not trade the intangible things we learn there and the strong, long-term friendships my children forge there for anything. It's not the 3 R's, but our co-ops teach lifelong skills that are just as essential in my view, only in a completely different way. I value having the freedom to control my curriculum at home and to have a strong community to turn to as well.

I think a lot of people here have had bad experiences with the other parents in a co-op group for all kinds of reasons. But having had mostly positive experiences and met wonderful homeschool parents, I'm glad we have co-ops.

I do it to cover the things that I want my kids to do, but that either I don't like to / feel unable to teach, or that I know would get put on the backburner.

Memory work (Classical Conversations)

Public Speaking

Drawing

Puppet Theater (make puppets, write play, make theater, etc.)

Chorus

Homeschool PE

I probably wouldn't do it if I had to teach, as I fear that I would end up putting all my time & effort into preparing for the class, at the expense of my own kids' education in the non-co-op subjects.

Edited by MeganW

Hmm, seems that some lump all types of co-ops together.

I mean, there are purely academic co-ops, which usually have certified ar). I have found that the parent-led co-ops, families are invested in, they come every week. My children actually make FRIENDS there. Other classes, that we just go to the one class, do the class, and then come home, there is much less social interaction. After all, it is a class, with a teacher, so the child should be paying attention and not really socializing right? I mean P.E., or Art, other types of classes that are offered at businesses, etc.

We just come early or stay late after our PE class/gymnastics/karate/swimming. It's at a professional place, not a co op, but they have general play space available, so it's the best of both worlds. Or sometimes we agree to meet in the park or head out for lunch or ice cream as a group. Poof, problem solved!

There has always been chatter about co-ops where I live but I keep my distance. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but most of the other HSers I've met don't share our values and some of the moms scare me a little (they seem a little nuts quite frankly!).

Also, I knew some HSers when I was younger who put together what should have been a great co-op, with the best of intentions and a lot of wonderful people, but it completely fell apart. I think HSers like autonomy too much for co-ops to come together easily.

I agree with all of these.

Also, I did enroll in a co-op once, when I was in my first year homeschooling, and it was a dreadful, chaotic experience:

The director of the co-op was a power-play kind of person who yelled at me and reduced me to tears in front of the entire co-op one day for a simple misunderstanding.

The art teacher sort of "gave up" teaching halfway through the first semester, and I ended up having to pinch hit teaching that class, when really I was just supposed to be a helper in that room.

The children were too rowdy to really teach. Half of them were never prepared, and none of them really seemed to see the classes as classes. It was really just a chance to hang out with their friends. Kids often ran wild in the hallways. A lot of the teachers also didn't seem to take it all that seriously. Not enough parents would step in and parent their kids. The teachers didn't feel comfortable reprimanding anyone because the parents were all right there. So, there was a definite disconnect with regards to authority.

In the end, my kids didn't learn anything, it ate up an entire day, not to mention extra hours for me, for planning purposes for the 2 classes I taught, and it all just felt like way too much like regular school. Which is exactly what I was trying to avoid when I started homeschooling.

So, now: no co-ops, and I will never agree to teaching anyone else's children but mine. As the years go by, I find more and more people ask me if I'm interested in teaching any classes, and I always say no.

We just get together with people for social stuff. Between theater and scouts and karate and dance, we're busy enough. I'm at a point where I have to fiercely guard our mornings and early afternoons just to do our school work. (sigh)

I agree with all of these.

Also, I did enroll in a co-op once, when I was in my first year homeschooling, and it was a dreadful, chaotic experience:

The director of the co-op was a power-play kind of person who yelled at me and reduced me to tears in front of the entire co-op one day for a simple misunderstanding.

The art teacher sort of "gave up" teaching halfway through the first semester, and I ended up having to pinch hit teaching that class, when really I was just supposed to be a helper in that room.

The children were too rowdy to really teach. Half of them were never prepared, and none of them really seemed to see the classes as classes. It was really just a chance to hang out with their friends. Kids often ran wild in the hallways. A lot of the teachers also didn't seem to take it all that seriously. Not enough parents would step in and parent their kids. The teachers didn't feel comfortable reprimanding anyone because the parents were all right there. So, there was a definite disconnect with regards to authority.

In the end, my kids didn't learn anything, it ate up an entire day, not to mention extra hours for me, for planning purposes for the 2 classes I taught, and it all just felt like way too much like regular school. Which is exactly what I was trying to avoid when I started homeschooling.

So, now: no co-ops, and I will never agree to teaching anyone else's children but mine. As the years go by, I find more and more people ask me if I'm interested in teaching any classes, and I always say no.

We just get together with people for social stuff. Between theater and scouts and karate and dance, we're busy enough. I'm at a point where I have to fiercely guard our mornings and early afternoons just to do our school work. (sigh)

For theater and scouts and karate and dance, substitute for our family horseback riding lessons, dog handling classes, 4H and piano.

It sounds like we attended the same co-op! (And came to the same conclusions)

Shannon

:iagree:

We don't co-op. We did a music co-op one year. It was fine when the kids were pre-k/k. Once we hit real school (1st grade0 we quit.

When non-homeschoolers ask us, "What makes you qualified to teach your kids?", we usually rave on about knowing them so closely, its like tutoring, etc. Co-ops, in my opinion, are a direct contradiction to all those arguments. In co-ops we take a bunch of kids, put them in a classroom with an person who is unqualified both as a teacher and in the subject matter, and call it better than public school. It's so strange to me. Its like we want to legitimize ourselves by duplicating in the homeschool community what public schools are doing.

We went to a GREAT co-op last year. We loved it and made a lot of friends there. I am really glad I went because I was so new to homeschooling and I didn't know anyone else in the area who homeschooled. However, this year, we're taking a break. I think it was too much for my 3 year old. There are not enough classes offered for her and she hated waiting in the hallway while her older sister was in classes. Also, it was kinda far away from our home, which meant--we had to leave our house earlier to drive up there and we came home later. I'll definitely go back once my 3 year old starts K!

I am sorry many of you didn't have a good experience with co-ops. :(

My reasons for not doing coops:

1. Takes too much time away from our studies at home.

2. I've been disappointed with the level of educational quality offered and the lack of control over behavior.

3. Hate the volunteering. It always seemed to evolve into a select few doing the work that the others should be doing.

4. Couldn't stand the cliques and drama-both parents and kids.

5. Wasn't a good social environment for us either. It seemed that too many were so pro-homeschool that there was an atmosphere of reverse discrimination and I found it off-putting.

I wouldn't want to do an academic co-op. I likely have different educational philosophies and want to do things the way we enjoy doing them (I use a curriculum that's pretty different from the "norm"). I wouldn't want any religion involved because we homeschool secularly (and aren't Christian to begin with). I wouldn't want to have to teach other peoples' kids on any sort of regular schedule (a one time or very short term fun class maybe) because I like the flexibility to sort of come and go as I please.

Last year, we participated in a FIAR co-op and that was fantastic! We 'rowed' different books together as a group and did the activities together...it was SO much fun...we 'traveled' the world with the books :)

This year, we are doing another similar co-op called a project co-op and another field-trip type co-op. For us, they really are more 'glorified play dates' I guess if you wanted to get real technical, but my DS loves them and so do I. For us, the co-ops do NOT replace anything that we are already teaching, they are just an added 'bonus' in the week for DS. BOTH of the co-ops are also taking place in the afternoon, which is fabulous and means we can get our school work done and out of the way in the morning and have the afternoon free (for co-op or whatever we want). We are also doing Zoo Club this year at the zoo ;)

However, with all that said...I also only have ONE child...I am sure that my answer would change drastically if there was even one more added to that mix ;)

Wow, I didn't think there was such a negative connotation with co-ops in general. I'm considering one for ds8. It's an hour and a half away, but it offers something I can't and won't offer right now - Lego Robotics and Mind Lab. It also has a great sounding Lego Building class. This is right up ds' alley. I want him to be in a team problem solving towards an educational purpose at least a few times in his K-12 experience. The classes are once a week, for only three months or less if I want to. You can pay per class, and other than registration I don't believe there's any other commitment other than sitting in class once in a while (which I would like to do anyway). During the long car trip we'll be listening to Peter Pan (Literature), ds will be doing a math page or two, listening to The Easy Spanish audio, History audio reading and discussion, and music appreciation. We would come home around 3:30, when we would hit Writing, Science, and English (grammar).

:iagree: Except #5 - I have never tried one because of reasons #1-#4 and #6-#7

:lurk5: Mostly, I am just lurking. There are 4 co-ops in my area. Two have SOF's that specifically exclude my faith. One spends half the time on PE, which is all sports--too much testosterone for my girly girl. And the secular one meets smack during lunch--not good for my 3yo.

I have this fantasy about turning our play group into a co-op, but I suspect that it will remain a social group.

For those of you who said you wouldn't do co-ops, why?

Just curious...

I kinda have a love/hate with our co-op, but it mostly has to do with me. There are a few things I wish the co-op would change, but my kids really enjoy the classes so I suck it up and deal with it.

I sucked it up for 3 years. Actually, the first half- full year didn't feel that way. By the second year it did, though, and six hours a week, times 30 weeks, year after year, starts to really add up. I finally decided that with the cost, both financially and time wise, it just wasn't worth it for us. It took too much away from our week without giving enough back. We were all too tired the day after to do much, and often the day before required time preparation wise. I didn't feel that it was strong enough academically to sacrifice that much time. Once in awhile ds says he'd like to go back. I do feel bad, because although we have friends, we don't have something which has really replaced that in terms of friendships for my older ds. But boy, what a relief for me not to be there.

I forgot to add, some of the classes were great, many so-so. Sometimes my kids couldn't find a class in a time slot that they wanted so just picked "any old class". I got very burnt out on teaching there. I also found I had some real issues with how it was run, and the overall feeling for me.

When non-homeschoolers ask us, "What makes you qualified to teach your kids?", we usually rave on about knowing them so closely, its like tutoring, etc. Co-ops, in my opinion, are a direct contradiction to all those arguments. In co-ops we take a bunch of kids, put them in a classroom with an person who is unqualified both as a teacher and in the subject matter, and call it better than public school. It's so strange to me. Its like we want to legitimize ourselves by duplicating in the homeschool community what public schools are doing.

You have put my thoughts into words. :D

I think that's fine for younger children and for fun classes, but really, if I couldn't teach an academic class myself for middle school and up, why would I send them to a co-op to be taught by someone who is generally not an expert and usually has zero teaching experience?

I wanted to add, and this is a "biggie" for me--I find that coops have some of the same issues as brick and mortar schools. If you are teaching something to a group, it is hard not to teach to the middle. At least, I noticed that happened quite a bit. Also, if one child is not getting it or is bored, that might easily be overlooked (and, I believe, sometimes this was inadvertant, sometimes not).

I noticed some people (not sure if it was based on Mom's choice or children's) would join the coop mainly for the social aspect, but then be obligated to unwillingly take classes. You then end up with people in the class who don't want to be there, are bringing in a negative attitude, are just waiting for the class to end so they can socialize.

There also seemed to be a wide spectrum in what was acceptable in teaching a class in terms of content, homework, discipline.

I felt that (other than the social aspect) much, not all, of my children's time there was wasted.

And--it was not cheap.:glare:

Thanks for the eye-opener. I wouldn't want to take precious time away from schooling, driving hours to and fro with a 7-month-old in tow and having dh pick up dd from pre-K (VPK).. It sounds like and I'm sure is a lot of work for most likely not a return that's worth it.. That said, there is a Robotics class closer (an hour away) in Spring.

Sigh. I do think that Mind Lab would have been good for ds.. He can always go when he's a bit older.

Where's the love? :) I believe any group is as good as it's leaders make it. We do co-op every semester and I am on the co-op board. This will be our 4th semester. I started teaching last semester. I decided to teach Music because it was something I wanted my son to be in in a class setting. I am not a music expert, and I have told the parents that, but if you can read, you can teach many things. I mean how can a person who wants to teach history end up being an art teacher with no art talent? It happens in schools (more elementary). That teacher will follow a curriculum and make the class work. Teaching (a class) is about confidence too. Luckily my co-teacher is a piano teacher and has some expertise I don't, so if a question is asked I don't know, she probably does. But we sing songs, learn about a composer, listen to his music, learn to play the Xylophone, learn music theory and do movement. It is a lot of fun. I couldn't do that at home, okay, I could, but it wouldn't be nearly as fun. Music in a group setting is fun.

We don't have to sign a statement of faith for the co-op or our homeschool group. We are not a religious group and we are not a secular group. We are just a support group for homeschoolers.

The classes offered are enrichment classes. Art, music, science, reading for K-1, health, book club, writing, life skills math, sewing, knitting, active games, show and tell.

It is easier for parents to do co-op when the kids are younger. Once you get into 3rd/4th/5th grade, it gets harder to take the time out to do that. Doing the co-op allowed me to establish relationships with other homeschool moms in the group because I saw them all the time and it allowed my kids to establish relationships as well. Then I would see them other places and it got more fun to go to all the field trips and park days.

It is what you make it. I looked into a Classical Conversations co-op (only because our co-op had to find a new place and we weren't sure we would find a place in time for the next semester) and was disappointed when they said the parents had to stay in the room the whole time with their kids while their kids were taking classes. Why? Too many people in a room and kids get distracted when their parents are there, and are sometimes more likely to act up. That turned me off right there. We do make parents who are not teachers volunteer 10 hours a semester, which ends up 1 day a month. Fees are only based on what the class fee is - usually $5-$10 for most classes. And my 3YO goes to preschool while I am teaching or volunteering. It's a great set up. If the young kids are cranky, they do go to the teacher or volunteer.

I'm sorry some of you have had bad experiences, but all co-ops are not bad. :)

Because the only way my area is gonna get one is if I set it up and lead it and I'm just not in for that right now while trying to educate my own children.

That's understandable :) It'd be way easier to pay say.... $1000 for my son to attend one... rather than all the hours that I've spent preparing ours :)

I'm sorry some of you have had bad experiences, but all co-ops are not bad. :)

Oh, yes. I agree. There are so many coops in our area right now and lots of people love them. I'm just over it for now.:) I wouldn't go back to our old coop and ds isn't interested in trying new one.

:iagree:

:

I: have lots of reasons. I'll try to give the Reader's Digest Condensed version.

I definitely agree with #6 and #7...

In addition to these, I don't like spending money on a class that I or my husband could teach for a lot less. And I definitely have a problem paying for my kids' classes while I have to teach for no pay! That just seems wrong!!! :D:D It feels like I'm paying to work....??? :tongue_smilie:

So if it's more for "social" reasons, then, hey, why not just schedule play dates? Then you can sit and chat with other moms while the kiddos goof off and play...and the best part....FOR FREE!!! And....you don't have to work for NO PAY!! :lol:

Anyhow, that's my take on it. I'm the only one in my circle of friends not going to the local co-op. They all look at me like I'm short-changing my kids, but maybe I'm reading into it... IDK... It probably boils down to money for me. I have a lot of other things I'd rather spend money on! (Yes, I'm cheap!)

Edited by hollyandab
typo

:iagree:Completely agree.

I've been anti-co-op for years. I gave CC a test-run last year and loved what I saw in and out of the classroom. What a stellar group of families. Goodness. I love them.

Aw Beth, You're such a cutie! I know you love CC, but I wish we could have you! Course, you're kinda far:) We'll have to settle for maybe when SWB comes to town... if she's not stopping over there.

:)

So if it's more for "social" reasons, then, hey, why not just schedule play dates? Then you can sit and chat with other moms while the kiddos goof off and play...and the best part....FOR FREE!!! And....you don't have to work for NO PAY!! :lol:

Because you often don't see the same people twice....well, at least not on a regular basis. We have done co-ops, we have done groups that are based on "let's meet at the park every Wednesday from 1p-3p", and we have done groups based on "let's meet at the park whenever someone feels like setting up a park day".

Park groups, both the regular one and the sporadic ones, while fun, never seemed to produce great friendships for my children. Because families are not invested in them as much as they are in co-op. In a co-op, first, many families have paid $$ to be there, and secondly, most parents have some sort of obligation, ie teacher, assistant, helping in another way..so you know those people will be there.every.single.week. When we did park-day groups, my child might meet a great child, they hit it off, they play at the park, they invite each other over to spend the night (literally, my son invites over everyone for a sleep over..it isn't happening because you just met the kid!!), and then they don't see each other again, because we don't make it to the same park day as they do for another two months or so. Families say they are coming, then they get sick or whatever the reason, half of who said was coming, doesn't come. There isn't a huge COMMITMENT for park days...it is more like "if it fits into our schedule, we will come, but if something better comes along, we may or may not be there" Sure, I could have taken the initiative to invite the child over for a play date...but let's get real. First, jiving our HSing life schedule with another HS'ers life schedule is nearly impossible. Most of us run in 10 directions at any given time. Second, I am introverted, I guess, and don't necessarily WANT to make that much effort for play dates, especially if it means having the mother over too (sorry, not personal to other moms, it's just me, really not you!).

All of those problems are solved by a co-op. We see the same families every single week. My children form true relationships with these children. Plus we will often seem them at co-op sponsored park days, or field trips,

so there is a good chance we will see them 1-2 days a week. Families are invested in making sure the co-op succeeds and so they put effort into it.

I've never had the horrible experiences that some of the others have posted about with co-ops. I could see why some would think co-ops are rotten apples. But there are plenty of good apples in the mix too.

The main reason why we don't go to any co-ops is that in my area of the UK, there aren't any. Yes, there are Home Education groups, but they are primarily social events, and since my dc already have friends from our neighbourhood, their extra-curriculas and church, I don't feel the need to increase our social opportunities.

I'm now HSing 4 dc: 7th, 5th, 1st, and a very interested Pre-K and we just don't have spare mornings or afternoons for anything. This is partly because DH doesn't like us doing chores at the weekend and partly because my 7th grader just needs a lot of time to fit everything in. (We manage the odd hour for doctor's appts and such because we school year round.)

Also, as previous posters have mentioned, one of the reasons why we homeschool is because we prefer to give our children an education that is tailored to their specific needs, and we don't believe that a group situation is the best way to do this. The only reason why I could see us sending our dc to any kind of class is if they wanted to try something that was beyond either DH or I to teach. Although because DH and I have such different skills and interests, I can't think of much that we couldn't do!