Menu

If you think you spend a lot on curric

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am always amazed at the NJ stats. We live here, too. the thing is, while my kids aren't in the ps system, they have to keep space (and books) for them there JUST IN CASE I decide to send them back.

so the stuff is purchased (or whatever) and is just sitting there.

our district spends almost $16,000 per pupil

imagine what i could do with that:willy_nilly::drool::drool5::drool5:

Robin in nj

There are no lists available for the high school for which my son would be zoned. However, here's the list for the closest middle school to our house:

2 Pencils

1 Black Pen

1 Red Pen

1 Blue Pen

1 Green Pen

7 Composition Notebooks College Ruled (100 Sheets – Non-Plastic Cover)

5 Rolls of Scotch Tape

1 - Spiral Notebook for R-Squared (70 pages minimum)

1 – 1/2" 3-Ring Binder (Plain Binders are encouraged)

FCAT 4 function calculator (7th and 8th grade only) ~ No Scientific Calculators

2 Packets of Post-It Notes

Subject Dividers for Binder

Paper

Pencil Pouch (see-through: mesh or plastic)

Hi-Lighter

Ruler

Personal Small Plastic Pencil Sharpener

Book Bag (with or without wheels)

Additional supply items may be required by individual teachers. Your child will be notified of additional items that are required and/or recommended. While shopping for school supplies, be sure to look for all of the specials that are happening now at various retail and office supply stores and stock up for this school year! Depending on funding, school binders may or may not be supplied this school year. Please purchase 1 as a back-up.

I'm guessing at prices, but eyeballing it looks to me like it would add up to about $40 or 50 without the backpack?

Okay, I had to go look....if DS were enrolled in PS, here is the list I'd have to buy:

48 #2 pencils, sharpened

4 large pink erasers

2 box 12 count colored pencils, sharpened

6 wide rule spiral notebooks

12 glue sticks

6 boxes of facial tissues

2 packages 8 count washable markers

2 box 24 count crayons

1 pair of scissors

2 wide rule composition notebook

2 bottle Elmer's white glue

4 bottles hand sanitizer

4 containers antibacterial wipes

1 small plastic school box

6 two pocket folders w/brads

4 two pocket folders w/o brads

4 packages wide rule loose leaf paper

2 box gallon resealable bags

4 black dry erase markers

1 six count pack colored dry erase markers

1 package construction paper

2 Scotch magic tape rolls

1 Backpack

1 pack 100 lined index cards

1 pack 100 blank white index cards

1 bag rubber bands

1 box paper clips

2 1" 3 ring white binders

ETA: I also looked to see what the schools spend per student each year - we're apparently just under $10,000 per student.

Edited by RahRah

I am always amazed at the NJ stats. We live here, too. the thing is, while my kids aren't in the ps system, they have to keep space (and books) for them there JUST IN CASE I decide to send them back.

so the stuff is purchased (or whatever) and is just sitting there.

our district spends almost $16,000 per pupil

imagine what i could do with that :willy_nilly::drool::drool5::drool5:

Robin in nj

I know, right? Pffft, I could send them to Parochial school.

I know. $16,000!!! it's crazy!

robin in NJ

The $16K is averaged out over the students, but each student doesn't cost that much. Special needs students cost a LOT more than the average student, which sends the overall costs up. Take, for example, a student who needs constant one-on-one care due to a trach tube - the school is required to provide someone to fill that spot. In addition, the student may be in a class with only 5 or 6 others, get OT, ST, PT, etc. All of that comes from the school budget and costs a TON.

ETA: If per pupil spending is down, that can simply mean the budget was frozen and there are more students this year than last year.

The $16K is averaged out over the students, but each student doesn't cost that much. Special needs students cost a LOT more than the average student, which sends the overall costs up. Take, for example, a student who needs constant one-on-one care due to a trach tube - the school is required to provide someone to fill that spot. In addition, the student may be in a class with only 5 or 6 others, get OT, ST, PT, etc. All of that comes from the school budget and costs a TON.

ETA: If per pupil spending is down, that can simply mean the budget was frozen and there are more students this year than last year.

True, yes, I know. But it's still nice to dream. :D

True, yes, I know. But it's still nice to dream. :D

Yeah, well. Whenever I feel bad about things, I think about how much it would cost the school district for my 5. I'm a GOOD American - I am saving the government a LOT of money!:D

(If nothing they are saving the cost of a lawsuit because they said my 8.5yo didn't qualify for ST and OT - both of which he is getting privately.:tongue_smilie:)

This is the list for where my son would be in school.

Not too bad, but still...9 boxes of crayons!?! We have had 1 large box for 2 years!! And my kids color a lot!

KINDERGARTEN

4 boxes small Crayola crayons (8 ct)

5 boxes small Crayola crayons (24 ct)

2 Elmer’s glue stick (small)

4 bottles Elmer’s washable school glue (4 oz)

1 4-pack Play Doh

1 6-pack No. 2 pencils (regular size)

1 box Baby Wipes

1 large box Kleenex tissue

1 pkg paper plates (Names A-M)

1 pkg lunch sacks (Names N-Z)

1 sandwich size Ziplock bags (Names A-M)

1 gallon size Ziplock bags (Names N-Z)

1 pkg Dry Erase markers (Names A-M)

1 pkg Clorox Wipes (Names N-Z)

2 boxes Crayola markers (8 ct-not skinny)

1 Crayola watercolors

1 pair Headphones for Computer Lab (with name on them)

2 paper folders with brads

The teachers being cleaned out? Yep. I spent hundreds of dollars on my classroom library only to find that it was raided before the school year even began. The teachers assumed that they were school property, and as such could just take whatever they wanted. I was SO PEEVED.

Did you get your stuff back?

I checked 6th grade for our local public school, and the list looked pretty reasonable. It did have stuff like tissues and sanitizer, but 2 each per student, not bad.

The added supply fee is also not bad, $10, but it also says that "students will not be allowed to go on field trips, or participate in any extra curricular activities such as (field trips, dress down day, field day, etc..) until this fee is paid" so certainly not presented as optional. And it's a high poverty, Title 1 school where 90% of the students are eligible for free lunch. Either it's an empty threat, or a lot of kids are missing a lot of activities.

You think $16,000 per pupil is high? Our district spends $28,000 per kid. I could... oh geez, with that extra 50K we take some very exciting field trips, I'll say that much.

Avalon in NJ spends 35k? I would just LIKE 16k for each of MY students, not that it's high. :D:D

$600 does sound high but I know Mom's around here complain that it cost over $100 per child. The schools here don't just ask for you to buy pencils and such for your own child but you also have to send in x number of clorox wipes, x number of boxes of Kleenex, paper towel, and on and on.

:001_huh:

These lists are crazy!

I was glancing at our local lists (which are, in general, pretty reasonable,) and I was shaking my head b/c I saw they had specified an 8 count box of crayons (and said not to send larger boxes such as 24 count). The 24 count box was 25 cents at Kmart and the 8 count box was around $1.50 or something.....I was thinking "can't they just tell them to take out whatever certain color they need?"

But I'd flip if they asked me to spend what some of these people have to spend.

I just glanced at our school's supply list.

Elementary level was pretty standard - a zillion boxes of crayons, color/brand specific folders, etc.

Then I decided to look over the junior high and high school list.

The high school has a separate supply list, per teacher/class.

The funniest thing -- high school French, any level -- bandages. :lol: Does the teacher physically whip her students or why would they need every. single. student to bring in a package of bandages?! I can see it for, oh, say... chemistry. But French? I didn't know French was so dangerous!

The thing that disturbs me about the school supply list is the 'non-consumable' items that parents must buy every year - like scissors, compasses, rulers. I know several teachers in our districts and they say those items are dumped at the end of each school year. :confused:

That about sums it up!!

As to my lament about the local public high school's list which included a $125.00 graphing calculator and someone suggested getting it used, well, that's a nice idea but since they changed brand and model from last year, that isn't going to be an option for a lot of families.

And to add insult to injury in a county with probably close to the highest unemployment rate in the nation and a mean average income of only $29,000.00 per year - many times this represents two wage earners :001_huh: -students will be dropped from all high school college preparatory maths if they do not possess the holy grail of calculators! Yes, that's right folks. The rule is you have it with you on the first day of class, or you can step down the hall to remedial math or business math, but you will NOT take algebra 1 or higher in this school without that calculator. Sigh...I am convinced that the local school board and administration have jello for brains and granite for hearts.

This same school requires seniors to purchase the "graduation package" which will cost $476.00 this year. If the student does not purchase "the package", they will not be allowed to participate in commencement and will have their diploma mailed to their homes. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

The whole thing is INSANE!

Faith

INSANE is right! I'm putting that on the list of most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Outlandish!

I remember being shocked when I moved to this province and was informed that there was a text book rental fee. I don't remember exactly how much it was, but it was several hundred dollars.

I *do* remember that btwn my eldest and Diva, the school fees alone were over $500 one year. Not including the massive list of supplies that had to be sent in.

I sent Diva w/what seemed reasonable. Teacher called to complain that I sent in 2 glue sticks instead of 10. I asked if they were eating them for snack.

I wasn't financially capable of supplying the classroom. My kid's needs were hard enough without extra supplies to 'pool'. And nothing ever, ever came home.

I swear I save money hsing. For one, we have tonnes of stuff left over from one year to the next. For two, like Swellmomma, we are eligible for some funding that I use to cover our curric.

The funniest thing -- high school French, any level -- bandages. :lol: Does the teacher physically whip her students or why would they need every. single. student to bring in a package of bandages?! I can see it for, oh, say... chemistry. But French? I didn't know French was so dangerous!

How gloriously random! I'm picturing the rest of the supplies list...

Spanish 2: Cheese Graters

Pre-Calculus: Dental Floss (waxed)

AP Environmental Science: Yellow Gumdrops

US History: Carpet Tacks (initials A through M); Mylar Balloons (N through Z)

I have a public middle and high school child. My son's beginning supply list, before school started, cost us $80 from Walmart. Then I had to pay $30 supply fee, $7.50 tech fee, $20 gym uniform, $10 reading fee, $15 spirit fee, $15 computer fee, and $20 FCA fee. FCA was the only optional fee. I also had another $55 worth of supplies to pick up after first day. For daughter, fees directly to school were $65 plus $35 optional club fees, and $20 gym uniform since they change design yearly so you can't reuse them. Her supplies were around $65. DD used her backpack from last year but I had to get DS a new one, $45, since his finally wore out after three years. I tell Dh that it is amazing what a free public school education costs. Oh and we have uniforms that costs me $300 for both.

Oh my gosh!!! That is just freaking insane!!! Free education- yeah right! On the other hand, it was entertaining to read the contribution of $15 for spirit fee... I didnt know they were serving "spirits" at ps??? just kidding. :001_smile:

There are no lists available for the high school for which my son would be zoned. However, here's the list for the closest middle school to our house:

2 Pencils

1 Black Pen

1 Red Pen

1 Blue Pen

1 Green Pen

7 Composition Notebooks College Ruled (100 Sheets – Non-Plastic Cover)

5 Rolls of Scotch Tape

1 - Spiral Notebook for R-Squared (70 pages minimum)

1 – 1/2" 3-Ring Binder (Plain Binders are encouraged)

FCAT 4 function calculator (7th and 8th grade only) ~ No Scientific Calculators

2 Packets of Post-It Notes

Subject Dividers for Binder

Paper

Pencil Pouch (see-through: mesh or plastic)

Hi-Lighter

Ruler

Personal Small Plastic Pencil Sharpener

Book Bag (with or without wheels)

Additional supply items may be required by individual teachers. Your child will be notified of additional items that are required and/or recommended. While shopping for school supplies, be sure to look for all of the specials that are happening now at various retail and office supply stores and stock up for this school year! Depending on funding, school binders may or may not be supplied this school year. Please purchase 1 as a back-up.

I'm guessing at prices, but eyeballing it looks to me like it would add up to about $40 or 50 without the backpack?

They have the list in Walmart by the entrance. I always look. At the school my kids would attend each grades list is over a page long.

Here is the list for my elementary kids IF they were going to ps.

4TH GRADE

·12 ct. box colored pencils

·24 ct. crayons

·8 ct. thick markers

·8 ct. thin markers

·8 ct. watercolors

·Pencil pouch

·10 wide rule spiral notebooks

·Ruler—inches & centimeters

·2 erasers

·4 oz. Elmer's glue

·2 glue sticks

·10--#2 pencils

·10 mechanical pencils

·2 containers 0.7mm lead—refills for mechanical pencils

·2 fine point Sharpie markers

·2 ultra fine point Sharpie markers

·2 red Bic ball point pens

·Scissors, pointed

·6 pocket folders

·2—200 ct. boxes of Kleenex

·pencil/supply box

·Assignment notebook—purchased at school

·Backpack—No Wheels

No notebook binder or Trapper Keepers.

5TH GRADE

·2 wide ruled spiral bound notebooks

·24 ct. crayons

·8 oz. bottle Elmer's white school glue

·2 glue sticks

·1 highlighter pen

·Scissors, pointed

·10--#2 pencils

·2 boxes 200 ct. Kleenex

·8 ct. Prang watercolors

·3 pkgs. 200 sheets wide rule paper

·1 pkg. lined 3 ½ x 5 in. index cards

·12 or 24 ct. colored pencils

·2 erasers

·8 ct. thin markers

·8 ct. thick markers

·5 pocket folders

·Gym shoes

·Art smock

·4 pack Dry Erase markers

No pencil boxes, No notebook binder or Trapper Keepers.

Here is the list for my 8th grader IF he were going to ps

8th grade supply list

3-ring binder or trapper

colored pencils

spiral notebooks for English, math, and social studies

folders for each class, including FACS, General Music

plastic folder with 3 prongs for Band

supply of loose-leaf paper

pencils

eraser for Tech Ed

blue, black, and red pens

calculator with a square root key, preferably solar

2 boxes of tissues and a bottle of hand sanitizer for homeroom teacher

Memory sticks, also known as thumb drives, flash drives, or portable hard drives

are a recommended but not required school supply.

Memory sticks with U3 technology WILL NOT work on TSC machines!

More Specifics:

Health and Physical Education

· 2 folders

· 2 red ink pens

· Required WRMS PE uniform*

o Black shorts w/ WRMS logo

o Grey shirt w/ WRMS logo

o White socks

o Good tennis shoes that are securely laced and tied

o A sweatshirt for PE use only to use on cool days

· Deodorant & other personal products in non breakable containers. (NO GLASS)

· A towel and soap is optional

· $10.00 Health & PE fee which covers the cost of CPR & Sharbade (This fee will be collected at the start of the school year. There will be forms available on line, on the teacher's website and in the school office in August to complete and submit with the fee.)

*If you need to purchase a PE uniform, complete the bottom portion of the Health/PE form that is available in the school office and submit it with the payment to the office during registration or to your PE teacher once school starts. Students who still own the older grey and maroon uniforms and they fit appropriately may continue to wear those.

I just looked up what my first grader would be expected to bring if she were going to public school:

1 pocket portfolio

4 composition notebooks

Glue: liquid or glue sticks

That's it! I can't imagine it would cost me more than $10, even if I didn't shop the sales.

They also request a donation of one box of tissues and one bottle of hand sanitizer, but it's clearly optional.

The second graders are expected to bring pencils -- I wonder what the first graders write with?

How gloriously random! I'm picturing the rest of the supplies list...

Spanish 2: Cheese Graters

Pre-Calculus: Dental Floss (waxed)

AP Environmental Science: Yellow Gumdrops

US History: Carpet Tacks (initials A through M); Mylar Balloons (N through Z)

:lol: and

Latin 1: 1 pillowcase

My husband was just looking at those in the store. They are the same price as they were 20 years ago. Look at what has happened to computers and such. On the other hand we still have my TI-84 so when my kids need it they will be using a 20 something year old one. :tongue_smilie:

1996.png

I had to look too. Compared to most of you, ours is downright reasonable:

3rd Grade

Recommended:

Sturdy backpack

3 Spiral notebooks

2 Composition books

Optional:

Pencils with erasers

Pencil sharpener

Crayons

Pencil box

Two sturdy folders with pockets

Donated to classroom:

1 Box of tissues

1 Roll of paper towels

1 Box of baby wipes (antiseptic, if possible)

5th Grade

Recommended:

Sturdy backpack

3 Ring organizational binder

Loose leaf paper

5 Folders

1 Composition notebook

1 Three subject spiral notebook

Optional:

Sharpener with cover

Pencils with erasers

Crayons, colored pencils and/or markers

Rectangular rubber eraser

Zippered pouch for school supplies

Donated to Classroom:

2 Boxes of tissues

2 Rolls of paper towels

1 Bottle of hand sanitizer

1 Box of slide-lock bags

1 Box disinfectant wipes

I live in Virginia where they did away with the book "rental" fee about 15 years ago. So now the kids don't get books. Seriously. When my older kids were in school each child had a book for the subject and brought it home for homework, to read, or study. Now there is one set of books for the classroom and they never leave the class. This way if a teacher has 6 classes of 25 kids each, instead of needing 150 books they need 25. It also cuts down on the wear and tear on the books, so they can keep the same books longer. As for homework, they have notebooks on each subject where they copy basically word for word out of the texts at school and then study them at home. If they miss a day of school then they use their lunch time to copy out of the book into their notebooks so they can make up their homework. Strange but it works since the costs of textbooks are insane. As for whether it provides a decent education as well as saving money that is anyone's guess.

This has been interesting and, well, educational...;)

I looked up the supply list for the school DD would be attending and found

in elementary K-5 basic supplies will be provided but other items may need to be purchased during the year.

Then in middle school (6-8) they make it convenient, they'll shop for you:

6th Grade Kit

2 Packs Lined Filler paper

1 Graph paper 4x4 squares bound ,hole punched for 3 ring binder

3 Composition Books

1 Pack Post It Notes 3x3 100 ct. pad

2 Two Pocket Folders with prongs

2 Sets of 8 tab Dividers

3 Book Covers

1 Large Eraser

2 Highlighters

2 Dry Erase Markers

1 Erasable Pen blue or black

2 Red pens

1 Pencil Pouch for 3 ring binder

1 Box #2 yellow pencils

1 Package hole reinforcers

1 Scissors 5" pointed

1 Glue Stick regular

1 Box Erasable Colored Pencils

4 1.0" 3 ring binders (red/white/blue/green)

1 Box Kleenex

Total kit price including tax $45.00

Optional items recommended by your faculty

___ 2 G USB Drive strongly recommended $12.99

Not included but requested by faculty; 1 tri-fold display board(36"x48")

Please note this is a general kit that makes a good start to the school year.

There may be a few optional items required once the year begins.

7th Grade Kit

1 USB Drive 2G

2 Packs Filler paper- college ruled

1 Pack Index cards 3x5 lined

2 Composition Books

3 Plastic 2 pocket folders w/clasp (red,blue,green)

1 Set of 5 tab Dividers

1 Book Cover XL

1 Book Cover large

6 Pens (3 red/ 3 blue)

1 Box #2 yellow pencils 12ct.

1 Highlighter

2 Dry Erase Markers

1 Box Colored Pencils 24ct.

1 2.0" 3 ring binder

Total kit price including tax $45.00

Optional items recommended by your faculty

TI 34 scientific calculator recommended $23.00

Optional package (fine point markers, accordion folder/6-pocket, eraser,

pencil sharpener, compass, protractor ) $ 9.00

Please note this is a general kit that makes a good start to the school year.

There may be a few optional items required once the year begins.

This is to be pre-ordered by the end of June for the next school year though.

Then there are more supplies if in French or Spanish:

French 1:

One 1inch

3 ring binder with dividers

One spiral notebook with holes, 1 subject, 70 pages

Pencil, pen

One large book cover

One dry erase marker

Spanish 1:

One 1inch

3 ring binder with dividers

One spiral notebook with holes, 1 subject, 70 pages

Pencil, pen

One large book cover

One dry erase marker

These lists look quite reasonable to me. It pretty much lines up with what we use in a year.

Here is the list for my elementary kids IF they were going to ps.

4TH GRADE

·12 ct. box colored pencils

·24 ct. crayons

·8 ct. thick markers

·8 ct. thin markers

·8 ct. watercolors

·Pencil pouch

·10 wide rule spiral notebooks

·Ruler—inches & centimeters

·2 erasers

·4 oz. Elmer's glue

·2 glue sticks

·10--#2 pencils

·10 mechanical pencils

·2 containers 0.7mm lead—refills for mechanical pencils

·2 fine point Sharpie markers

·2 ultra fine point Sharpie markers

·2 red Bic ball point pens

·Scissors, pointed

·6 pocket folders

·2—200 ct. boxes of Kleenex

·pencil/supply box

·Backpack—No Wheels

No notebook binder or Trapper Keepers.

5TH GRADE

·2 wide ruled spiral bound notebooks

·24 ct. crayons

·8 oz. bottle Elmer's white school glue

·2 glue sticks

·1 highlighter pen

·Scissors, pointed

·10--#2 pencils

·2 boxes 200 ct. Kleenex

·8 ct. Prang watercolors

·3 pkgs. 200 sheets wide rule paper

·1 pkg. lined 3 ½ x 5 in. index cards

·12 or 24 ct. colored pencils

·2 erasers

·8 ct. thin markers

·8 ct. thick markers

·5 pocket folders

·Gym shoes

·Art smock

·4 pack Dry Erase markers

No pencil boxes, No notebook binder or Trapper Keepers.

This is what my fifth grader would have to bring:

Grade 5 (please label)

3-ring 2-inch binder w/dividers

2 3-ring 1½-inch binders (blue and green)

2 spiral notebooks

1 pkg. loose-leaf paper

2 doz. #2 pencils

4 highlighters

1 black & white composition book

4 dry erase markers

1 box colored pencils

2 glue sticks

Zippered pencil case/pouch

1 gum eraser

1 pair scissors

Post-it notes

Why do people do it?

Seriously. My husband's district doesn't allow kids to bring supplies. They state that all children are guaranteed a FREE education and as such cannot be asked to bring supplies.

Try sending a letter back stating you've paid your taxes and the bazillion school bonds and that's all you are able to donate this year.

:iagree:

Why do people do it?

Seriously. My husband's district doesn't allow kids to bring supplies. They state that all children are guaranteed a FREE education and as such cannot be asked to bring supplies.

Try sending a letter back stating you've paid your taxes and the bazillion school bonds and that's all you are able to donate this year.

I'm more of the mindset that we pay taxes to allow education to be accessible to everyone. The thought that taxes should cover everything down to the pencils our children write with is ludicrous to me. Even parents who may $20,000 a year for private school still have to buy supplies.

The amount each family pays for public education by way of taxes is still far lower than the cost of education each child receives. The same is true of Medicare -- nearly everyone will receive more in benefits than they paid in -- much, much more.

Could the tax money be better managed? I'm sure it could. But, I think parents are getting off quite easy even if they spend $200 a year on school supplies. Children just cost money. My grandparents were quite poor, but they never grumbled at having to supply their children with school supplies. They accepted it as part of parenting. They were also content with far less than many people I know today who complain about the amount they have to spend on school supplies while finding enough money for a Wii, Gameboy, cigarettes and smart phones. Perhaps some people just have their priorities askew.

I disagree.

If it were only to supply their own child, I could see the validity in the statement.

When it comes to supplying the classroom, and the teacher, I understand the resentment completely. So many families are struggling to make ends meet that the extra demands are beyond their abilities to manage.

Frankly, I think that the onus is put on the parents while the admin wastes money left, right, and centre, and it needs to stop. Parents should not have to be supplying everything the way its being demanded.

I just got done talking to a friend whose child attends public school. Around here you get a list of what your child needs to bring to school. They normally come sometime in the summer with the schedule letters.

My friend spent 600 dollars on classroom supplies and that's not even clothes shopping. That was the list, which had things on it like 6 packs of post it notes, how many folders, notebooks, packs of pencils, tissues. INSANE.

I told her she should have torn the list up and sent it back in an envelope.

Please tell me you mistyped and put an extra 0 there?:svengo: I spent $150 this year for school supplies for 6 kids.

Edited by Quiver0f10

Ok whats with the different crayon count needs and marker thick/thinness? Seriously do 2nd or 3rd graders need thin and regular markers? Is it that essential to a goo education to have a pack of 8 crayons and a pack of 24?

I saw another poster that posted a supply list that included regular sharpened pencils and mechanical. Why?

Blank index cards and lined, can't just one be used? Who cares if there are lines or not? Just get the lined ones and be done with it.

What is with no Trapper Keepers too? I think most lists I have seen posted (and here locally) don't want Trapper Keepers. Very discriminatory to me! :)

When my son was in PS, we attended school board meetings and PTO monthly and volunteered heavily. Our school system runs a very tight ship if you look at operating expenses, salaries, etc. Every penny is accounted for and used. I understood the system after that and the fund raising and the list of supplies (that approached no where near $600), made perfect sense in that context. I don't doubt there is waste in the system, but I see many people saying that without ever having had looked at a budget for a school system. Our 2 years in PS opened my eyes. I am very sympathetic to teachers spending their own money to cover suppliers in the classroom. There are many parents in the system that are not invested in the success of their child's school. And we were at a high achieving, relatively affluent school.

I'm more of the mindset that we pay taxes to allow education to be accessible to everyone. The thought that taxes should cover everything down to the pencils our children write with is ludicrous to me. Even parents who may $20,000 a year for private school still have to buy supplies.

We have friends that attend private schools that cost 10 to 20K. Their fund raising and supply lists demands are actually worse than the PS. Some of the fund raisers they run are SO extravagant and over the top.

I don't miss the days of buying a list of supplies. But on the other hand, if I were going to use the school system again (which could happen), I will expect to support it. Even in ways that don't feel like they're just for my own child.

I agree that, $600 does seem ridiculous. Especially for 2 or 3 kids. for 8 kids maybe - yep, seems about right. Love to see what's on that list. But without that list, it's hard to know the full story there.

I agree that we shouldn't be responsible for the supplies of other students. I would only send in supplies for my own child. When I was in elem. School, we had our own supplies in a school box.

I would be fine with donating some stuff for the classroom on my own, but I would not send 20 glue sticks just because some parents won't send in supplies.

I disagree.

If it were only to supply their own child, I could see the validity in the statement.

When it comes to supplying the classroom, and the teacher, I understand the resentment completely. So many families are struggling to make ends meet that the extra demands are beyond their abilities to manage.

Frankly, I think that the onus is put on the parents while the admin wastes money left, right, and centre, and it needs to stop. Parents should not have to be supplying everything the way its being demanded.

We were not allowed Trapper Keepers either. I think it's the Velcro noise or something.

Ok whats with the different crayon count needs and marker thick/thinness? Seriously do 2nd or 3rd graders need thin and regular markers? Is it that essential to a goo education to have a pack of 8 crayons and a pack of 24?

I saw another poster that posted a supply list that included regular sharpened pencils and mechanical. Why?

Blank index cards and lined, can't just one be used? Who cares if there are lines or not? Just get the lined ones and be done with it.

What is with no Trapper Keepers too? I think most lists I have seen posted (and here locally) don't want Trapper Keepers. Very discriminatory to me! :)

We were not allowed Trapper Keepers either. I think it's the Velcro noise or something.

Yea... I am of a mind though that if *I* have to buy it then *I* get to decide what to buy. They can provide suggestions but ultimately it is my dime. If I want a Trapper Keeper then I will get one. The teachers can answer to me at that point.

Like I said though, I am very much a rebel and I will want to do exactly what they tell me not to. :D Thus the reason I homeschool! :)

Last year I spent an insane amount of money. Between the school supplies, uniforms and so forth we spent about $1,000 for 4 kids. That was including the fact that they had a used uniform store at the school but of course there weren't enough of the sizes we need. Shirts needed to be bought new because the ones on the table were really gross looking. New shoes, bookbags, lunchboxes( they only served hot lunch twice a week) , school supplies for four kids. That also didn't include the $35 activity fee, the $50 application fee for being a first time family , all the silly odds and ends that cost money. The $400 worth of fundraising we had to do for having 4 kids in a school. Paying for the hot lunches they had twice a week, and the pizza or sub once a week(beause, well EVERYONE ate pizza on Mondays). Plus tuition.

My total for homeschooling 4 this year so far?????

$250!!!!

Even if I have to purchase a little more I STILL won't spend as much as we did last year.

I had to send in 10 DOZEN *sharpened* pencils for dd's 1st grade last year. :blink: At the time, I didn't have an electric sharpener, so I had to buy one just for that massive task. I sharpened about 4 dozen and gave up. I was afraid I would burn the poor little thing up!

Great, leaping cats!!! 10 dozen....good gravy, some school official deserves a complete SMACK DOWN for that.

See, it's a really, really good thing I homeschool because there is just no way I would put up with this crap.

Faith

The reason for the 8 count separate from the 24, for young children, is that you sometimes really need yellow to be yellow, red to be red, and blue to be blue and that it can be hard to find those colors in a pack of 24. But 24 crayons cost less than 8, so teachers will suggest sending a box of 8, to leave separate for those things where color matters, and a box of 24 (or more) to use when the kids are drawing/coloring and it's not important to have red vs red-orange or purple vs blue-violet. I've got a ziplock bag of just the main colors separated out for my daughter from a box of 24 for that reason.

I wish crayola sold single color packs for popular colors. I think I could never buy another brown, orange, or yellow marker again, but DD probably goes through 8 green ones in a single year. Same with crayons.