Menu

Have your kids ever attended school outside the home?

My oldest son went to ps kindergarten. Three of out of 5 of my adopted children attended ps as well until I told the social worker that in order to know for sure if I could handle things, I had to be able to homeschool all of my children- even my potential children. :001_smile: So they let us use a ps charter school where we only had to meet with a teacher 2 times a month. Otherwise, that is it- and unless something very serious happens that I can not foresee, that is the way it will stay. :001_smile:

I just realized as I was reading everyone's responses that DD had some PS instruction. She received speech services, 30 min/week for about 5 months when she was in K. I suppose it was pretty uneventful to have slipped my mind like that!

My older son was in pre-school from age 2. He was in private schools for K and first grades. He returned to a private school for his sophomore year and graduated from there.

My younger son was in pre-school at age 2, then switched to a Montessori school at age 3 and remained there through K, when he came home. I'm looking at a Montessori high school that is starting here in connection with our local university, but I don't think he wants to go there for ninth and I'm not sure I could put him in for tenth if he doesn't do ninth there....

Yes, oldest DS went to 2 years of private school for pre-k (age 3 - 2 mornings a week, age 4, 3 mornings a week), followed by K and 1st in our local PS.

Younger DS went to a little over half a year of private pre-k - job changed and so did the $$ ;) (age 3 - 2 mornings a week), followed by 1 year of pre-k in our local PS.

This is our first year homeschooling. :) And I don't know if I've mentioned it, but so far we LOVE it!!!! :D

My oldest is just starting her 4th year of college and my 2nd oldest is in her 6th month of a Cosmetology program so they've both now been in school outside the home. Other than 2 yrs of pre-school for my oldest while we were starting out in grad school they've all been at home, all the way through.

I was a "successful" public schooler, then became a public school teacher (for 10 years, then stopped to try being a stay at home mom!!) after 1 year I began taking my kids out of ps one at a time...that's just the way it happened, not planned, at all. I've homeschooled now for 1 1/2 years to 1 and 1/2 of my kids; but will be starting our first year homeschooling all of my kids very soon !!!

So my oldest went through most of 4th grade; 2nd went thru half of 1st; 3rd finished kdg; and last may never know ps, btw my 1st-3rd were in daycare from birth to preschool also, while I taught ps, so really we've been lifers til now...and are undergoing a huge transformation :)

Edited by rocketgirl

My son went to a 2-day a week preschool for a year. It was a Montesori school, and I loved it.

I had planned to send my daughter there, too, but they changed the rules to require 4 days per week and I wasn't cool with that. So we did Montessori style stuff at home for a fraction of the price, and she just played with the kids who went there LOL. We live in a small town, and this is THE preschool to belong to; lots of her peers and my friends' kids attend there.

Other than that, nope. They're 10 and 5.

Ds17 has never been homeschooled and will be graduate from ps next May.

Ds14 attended ps from pre-k to 5th grade when he requested to come home.

Dd10 attended ps from pre-k to 1st grade (actually only 3 months of 1st grade).

This was definitely not a path I thought our family would ever venture on, but now I honestly don't see either of my youngest returning to ps unless there were major changes in our family.

Ds attended a private school from age 3-6 (preschool all the way through kindergarten.) He began homeschooling for first grade.

We are sending our 3 year old dd to the same school this year. I anticipate that she'll be there for the next three years, then come home in first grade just as her older brother.

I doubt we'll homeschool all the way through and imagine that at some point (middle school? high school?) that both children will eventually go to public school as well.

Ds16:

k-3 public

4 Christian private

5-9 home/public school hybrid

10 public magnet within large public school

11-12th college

Dd12

k-Christian private

1-5th homeschool/public school hybrid

6th private school (non-religious)