Menu

Calling Dr. Hive.....puncture wound and red streak...

neighborhood kids were going down a slide yesterday into a mud puddle. DD hit something with her foot and had a nice slice. We washed it out thoroughly, used peroxide and neosporin and badaged it.

This morning, the outside skin was 'healed' but it was puffy and red, and there was a little bit of a red streak from the wound itself.. We opened it >gag shudder< trimmed away some skin, squirted peroxide into it (somehow, MORE dirt came out) and liberally applied neosporin to it and bandaged it up. We marked where the red streak ended with a sharpie so we'd know if it got worse.

I googled blood poisoning, and found NOTHING about red streaks. I always thought that red streaks from the wound were a sign of trouble.

Please Advise!!!!!

It sounds like it's infected. I'd keep a very close eye, and if the streak gets bigger or she gets a fever, I'd have it seen today. If the streak stays the same, and she feels ok, I'd take her to the ped Monday morning. If the streak goes away now that you've cleaned it out, I'd wait.

I agree w/ the previous two posters. Red streaks can definitely indicate trouble. (Sounds similar to a situation I was in as a kid; I ended up w/ multiple red streaks & my foot became so tender I couldn't walk on it easily. I apparently was close to having blood poisoning....)

Definitely make sure tetnus boosters are up to date....

Keep cleaning it and putting neosporin on it. The red streaks are bad, but if you keep cleaning it, they will probably go away. I had a friend in high school who got infected blisters during our dance recital (from new point shoes) they poured provide over the blisters and gave them time dry up, then put neosporin on them and the streaks went away after a day or so. They were halfway up her leg.

Don't forget to give the wound some time to dry! If it stays moist and wet in a band-aid all the time, it is a perfect environment for more bacteria. Clean it well, let it air dry in a clean place, and then bandage it.

I also think you are supposed to keep it below heart level.

No personal experience with that, but I'm in the middle of reading a book about a primatologist who had something similar- an injury with red streaks. She ended up with blood poisoning and nearly died. It's not something I would fool around with. Take her in today.

I'm another vote for having it seen today. My dad was prone to blood poisoning. He'd nick a knuckle on something fixing a computer or car and have a streak running up his arm. It was always treated as extremely urgent, as in come now and we'll see you as soon as you get here even though our schedule is booked full. (This was before the days everything urgent was sent to the ER.) He was always given antibiotics to take for it.

Yep, a red streak is bad. I was fast tracked in the ER with a red streak. Rec'd a tetnus booster, an antibiotic shot and a script for oral meds. He said if it had been a few hours later it would have been enough to require hospitalization.

Barb

Yep, I'm not a big antibiotic fan but I'm going to guess they'll want her on some form of antibiotic ASAP. They may even want to do it via injection or IV to get it in her faster. I would probably head into urgent care/ER or at the very least call your regular physician.

Neosporin and such may be helpful, but it could be a drug-resistant strain, etc.

Staph can get bad very quickly, for ex.

YOu don't want to mess w/ a risk of sepsis.

I would soak it in very warm water and epsom salts after marking the red streak with a sharpie. If the streak started to recede I would continue to soak it regularly and keep it loosely bandaged in between soakings. If the streak progressed more than 1/4 inch I would take her in to have it looked at.

Just an FYI - if tetanus is a concern, a tetanus booster won't do anything unless the child recently received the DTaP (I think within the last 3 months?).

If tetanus is truly a concern then it's likely they'll suggest the tetanus immunoglobulin. I know tetanus is a popular one for docs to give in the ER but it won't help prevent tetanus with the current injury, just future ones.

Also be aware that tetanus in children is INCREDIBLY rare in this country. Most tetanus (there are only a few cases every year and not all of the few are fatal) are in the elderly and diabetics who suffer from poor blood circulation.

I would have it looked at due to the infection, but I would not stress about tetanus.

Red streaks = "lymphangitis", if you want to google. Here's some info. Basically, the infection is in the lymph system, and moving to the lymph nodes. The bacteria can multiply rapidly and can quickly become serious.

She should be seen today.

Also, she should have a tetanus booster if she isn't up to date, but tetanus doesn't cause lymphangitis. It's usually a type of strep or staph.

Edited by Perry

I haven't posted because we were out celebrating her 7th birthday. What a way to start the day; debriedment of a puncture wound! It got MUCH better though ;)

Thank you all for your input. The streak has not gotten any longer and she has no fever, so right now we're just watching CLOSELY (as only a mother can!!). If it doesn't look any better, or looks WORSE tomorrow, I will get her into the Dr. The pain has actually gone down too; now, when distracted, she's actually walking on it!

Thank you so much! I love knowing that I have a good place to go for MATERNAL input! Nothing compares!

I haven't posted because we were out celebrating her 7th birthday. What a way to start the day; debriedment of a puncture wound! It got MUCH better though ;)

Thank you all for your input. The streak has not gotten any longer and she has no fever, so right now we're just watching CLOSELY (as only a mother can!!). If it doesn't look any better, or looks WORSE tomorrow, I will get her into the Dr. The pain has actually gone down too; now, when distracted, she's actually walking on it!

Thank you so much! I love knowing that I have a good place to go for MATERNAL input! Nothing compares!

my mom's cure for all cuts is to soak them in hot soapy water. Make the water as hot as she can stand it and soak, soak, soak. A movie to watch or a good book to read is a must!