Menu

If you could only recommend one book...

In our book club, names are drawn out of a hat and each member must suggest each month's book. The only condition is that the book must be a work of fiction.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what book I should choose, so I put it to you: if you could only choose one book to suggest to someone, what would it be? :bigear:

Right now, I'm leaning toward Watership Down. I'd love to hear what one book you'd choose above all others!

Watership Down is wonderful. There is so much to discuss there, especially if you have anyone interested in or smart about politics or history.

The book I recommend often when other women ask me what classic to read next is House of Mirth. It's timeless social criticism, so plenty to discuss there, too.

I find it to be a sad thing, that I cannot think of even one piece of fiction that I truly care about, right now. I could wax on, till someone's eyes glazed over, about a unending number of non-fiction books...but...fiction...not one can arouse the slightest bit of enthusiasm in me, at the moment.

Sometimes I can momentarily lose myself in a picture book, but it's not a lasting infatuation, and most adults would have no interest in discussing a picture book with me.

I feel like I should attempt to remedy this somehow, but don't know how.

Good luck! I'm glad it is you and not me that needs to make the recommendation :-)

I find it to be a sad thing, that I cannot think of even one piece of fiction that I truly care about, right now. I could wax on, till someone's eyes glazed over, about a unending number of non-fiction books...but...fiction...not one can arouse the slightest bit of enthusiasm in me, at the moment.

Sometimes I can momentarily lose myself in a picture book, but it's not a lasting infatuation, and most adults would have no interest in discussing a picture book with me.

I feel like I should attempt to remedy this somehow, but don't know how.

Good luck! I'm glad it is you and not me that needs to make the recommendation :-)

Try Water for Elephants. Plain old good storytelling.

I also need a book for a book group this summer. I want something fictional, with a woman protagonist...that is very uplifting...and not froo-froo. Nothing condemning, but maybe some introspection ok...

Any ideas for us? Hope I am not hijacking, but thought we could both use the suggestions. Most of us already read many of the already mentioned suggestions. Anything new and exciting out there?

Thanks,Faithe

I also need a book for a book group this summer. I want something fictional, with a woman protagonist...that is very uplifting...and not froo-froo. Nothing condemning, but maybe some introspection ok...

Any ideas for us? Hope I am not hijacking, but thought we could both use the suggestions. Most of us already read many of the already mentioned suggestions. Anything new and exciting out there?

Thanks,Faithe

The Secret Life of Bees.

Not new and exciting, though.

I'm leaning toward suggesting The Moonstone for my book club, because I think we need to read a classic, but it's fast paced enough that people might actually read it. Previously, when we've tried classics, most folks didn't even bother to find a copy (well, except for Little Women, because they thought they remembered liking it when they were young, but I suspect they must have read an abridged version, because so few of them were able to get through the real thing.)

Recently, they've also read

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (which I thought started out well but kind of died when it became a romance)

True Grit (because of the movie -- I haven't read it yet)

The Year of Living Biblically (it's not fiction. I expected it to be kind of dumb and offensive, but I actually found it to be better than I thought.)

Pope Joan (nice idea, but once again, killed by the romance aspects)

The Elegance of the Hedgehog (I don't think anyone much cared for this one.)

They have Anne of Green Gables up on the list next. It's supposed to be a light summer read.

If it didn't have to be strictly fiction, you might try Out of Africa or West With the Night. (Both have women protagonists. )

Another option in the woman protagonist category might be My Antonia. The Woman Warrior is also interesting although not such a classic.

Other books my kids have enjoyed over the past year that might spark discussion:

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

The Once and Future King

Father Brown mysteries

No 1 Ladies Detective Agency

The Red Tent

And To Kill a Mockingbird. But a lot of people might have read that already.

Thanks,Faithe

Not new, but uplifting and not froo-froo: Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Not new, but uplifting and not froo-froo: Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Hey, I just got a Golden book hardcover of this used at a library sale!

I just read South of Superior. It was sort of interesting and not melodramatic or overwrought.

I read Burmese Days by Orwell recently after reading the book Finding George Orwell in Burma. I recommend both.

Edited by stripe

Thanks,Faithe

Remarkable Creatures

Laura

Hey, I just got a Golden book hardcover of this used at a library sale!

I just read South of Superior. It was sort of interesting and not melodramatic or overwrought.

I read Burmese Days by Orwell recently after reading the book Finding George Orwell in Burma. I recommend both.

I just reserved South of Superior based on a review in our paper. I'm looking forward to it.

Laura

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - SO GOOD!!!

I just love, love this book. Told through letters about the German occupation of the Channel Islands during WWII. Fascinating, funny, touching, great characters (some quirky/hilarious), their relationships with each other and the invaders. It seems sort of like light reading, even though the topic really isn't.

Right now I'm watching Masterpiece Theatre's Island At War, same topic.

If it didn't have to be strictly fiction, you might try Out of Africa or West With the Night. (Both have women protagonists. )

Yes, and both women share the same lover (though being in different parts of Africa they don't really cross paths themselves). That Denis got around. :D

One book...hmm...do you think they would be interested in something like The Grapes of Wrath? Too depressing? What sort of books has the club read in the past?

Looking for modern classics? What about The Optimist’s Daughter by Eudora Welty? Song of the Lark by Willa Cather?

For the second poster looking for lighter, upbeat summer books: The Lottery (not the short story) by Patricia Wood. www.lotterythebook.com/

I also tend towards light summer reads this time of year, and in the heat I am espeically drawn to novels about southern women. :) Garden Spells, Welcome to the World, Baby Girl, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, The Girl Who Chased Away Sorow, Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen, The Sugar Queen etc. ;) :D

Edited by LibraryLover