Menu

My birth story

George Sequoia is here. I went into labor on due date July 1st and he was born about 1248 on July 2nd. 7LB3OZ; he is perfect!

I was just going to make a simple birth announcement, but due to the cirucmstances of his birth I feel compelled to tell a bit of my story. I decided after it was all over that I would not be silent about my feelings on interventions anymore.

I am convinced that had I been given an epideral he would have been a c-section.

My labor progressed fairly normally. When the intern came in for a routine cervial check I was dialted to a 7 and about 80% effaced. She then reached WAY up and started feeling around (this was horrible, caused a contraction...just.bad.owee...ouch!) During the contraction she pulled her hand out but said she need to go back up a second time (just as painful as the first and I yelled at her..the first ever I did this to a provider and this is number 5!) When she was done she told me that baby was twisted up in my birth canal and was not coming down like he needed to be. She was actually feeling his head up in the canal to get his postioning. She was afraid he was face up, which thank goodness hr vwasn/t. But he was twisted.

She then said the best thing would be for me to get up and move around and maybe try a birthing ball. I was so, so, so discouraged...at this point it was well past midnight and I thought I was in for a long, long night. I though of an epideral seriously for the first time. I didn't know if I could do it all night...I just didn't.

Well..I got up from the bed and went into the bathroom, had one more contraction on the toilet...stood up and swung my hips around (sort of like slow motion hulu hoop swing) and then I felt like I needed to start pushing!!!!!! Serious it was that quick. Of course they said no, no...don't [push, it's not time yada, yada, yada......I was able to pant through that contraction, but no others. I ended up delivering him standing up with my husband catching him because noone else was ready!!!! Not kidding!!! at one point I thought he was going to hit the floor because they didn't believe me!!!

I firmly believe that the hulu hoop swing motion is what dislodged him and he shot down!! They seriously don't even know exactly what time he was born, they guessed....and the door to the room wasn't even shut!!!

Had I had an epideral I would not have been able to stand up and move around and it is possible he would have stayed stuck or at the very, very least taken FOREVER to come down the canal.

His cord was wrapped 3 times around his neck and I can't help but wonder if an epideral would have prolonged a dangerous situation as well????

Oh yes, and I highly, highly suggest pushing a baby out standing up.....it was amazing!! I felt so strong and like I could use ALL of my strength and the recovery has been the best yet. Only one small tear that could have been prevented had the provider actually been there......

yay for new life!! yay for George!!

Thanks for listening!

Emerald

Congratulations!

I had a similar situation with one of my larger babies . . he wasn't dropping. . . doctor was concerned . . . without thinking I swung my hips from one side of the bed to the other and voila, he arrived within 5 minutes. I've often wondered also what would have happened if I hadn't done that. Maybe we can copyright that "Hula hoop move".

Congrats!!! Hip movements absolutely can help, and giving birth WITH gravity instead of against it is amazing. (Ds was born "standing" on my knees in a birth pool. And he was indeed posterior, lol. I'm so glad I could birth in a better position for that.)

:party:

Wow! I can imagine your ancestors hula hooping those babies out in the field before going back to work!:D I'm so glad that you had a safe and (sort of) quick birth.

Welcome to the Hive, George Sequoia!

love the image!!

no fields here, although I did make it to our annual 3rd of July parade!!!

Congrats!!! Hip movements absolutely can help, and giving birth WITH gravity instead of against it is amazing. (Ds was born "standing" on my knees in a birth pool. And he was indeed posterior, lol. I'm so glad I could birth in a better position for that.)

:party:

wow, true posterior...I think it is too close to my birth to think of this, ha, ha......

Great job, Mama! Welcome to the world, George!

I delivered my last dd on my knees facing the back of the bed. The doc and nurse tried to have me roll to my back but I wouldn't give in. It gave me more leverage to push out my 11 1/2 pounder! Poor doc. We have it on video and he was way out of his comfort zone. Baby was in serious danger (that MONDO size wasn't easy to get out) but I'm convinced it would've been worse had I flipped to my back.

I delivered my last dd on my knees facing the back of the bed. The doc and nurse tried to have me roll to my back but I wouldn't give in. It gave me more leverage to push out my 11 1/2 pounder! Poor doc. We have it on video and he was way out of his comfort zone. Baby was in serious danger (that MONDO size wasn't easy to get out) but I'm convinced it would've been worse had I flipped to my back.

11 1/2 pounds!!!

just wow!!

:w00t:

George Sequoia is here. I went into labor on due date July 1st and he was born about 1248 on July 2nd. 7LB3OZ; he is perfect!

I was just going to make a simple birth announcement, but due to the cirucmstances of his birth I feel compelled to tell a bit of my story. I decided after it was all over that I would not be silent about my feelings on interventions anymore.

I am convinced that had I been given an epideral he would have been a c-section.

My labor progressed fairly normally. When the intern came in for a routine cervial check I was dialted to a 7 and about 80% effaced. She then reached WAY up and started feeling around (this was horrible, caused a contraction...just.bad.owee...ouch!) During the contraction she pulled her hand out but said she need to go back up a second time (just as painful as the first and I yelled at her..the first ever I did this to a provider and this is number 5!) When she was done she told me that baby was twisted up in my birth canal and was not coming down like he needed to be. She was actually feeling his head up in the canal to get his postioning. She was afraid he was face up, which thank goodness hr vwasn/t. But he was twisted.

She then said the best thing would be for me to get up and move around and maybe try a birthing ball. I was so, so, so discouraged...at this point it was well past midnight and I thought I was in for a long, long night. I though of an epideral seriously for the first time. I didn't know if I could do it all night...I just didn't.

Well..I got up from the bed and went into the bathroom, had one more contraction on the toilet...stood up and swung my hips around (sort of like slow motion hulu hoop swing) and then I felt like I needed to start pushing!!!!!! Serious it was that quick. Of course they said no, no...don't [push, it's not time yada, yada, yada......I was able to pant through that contraction, but no others. I ended up delivering him standing up with my husband catching him because noone else was ready!!!! Not kidding!!! at one point I thought he was going to hit the floor because they didn't believe me!!!

I firmly believe that the hulu hoop swing motion is what dislodged him and he shot down!! They seriously don't even know exactly what time he was born, they guessed....and the door to the room wasn't even shut!!!

Had I had an epideral I would not have been able to stand up and move around and it is possible he would have stayed stuck or at the very, very least taken FOREVER to come down the canal.

His cord was wrapped 3 times around his neck and I can't help but wonder if an epideral would have prolonged a dangerous situation as well????

Oh yes, and I highly, highly suggest pushing a baby out standing up.....it was amazing!! I felt so strong and like I could use ALL of my strength and the recovery has been the best yet. Only one small tear that could have been prevented had the provider actually been there......

yay for new life!! yay for George!!

Thanks for listening!

Emerald

Very cool story! Thanks for sharing. I would try it the next time, but I am 43 and done. I may share your story though. Congrats!!!!

. I'll have to ask her if she's ever had a lady deliver standing up! :) Enjoy baby George!

:party::hurray:

It is quite common in Australia to have a baby standing up. Most hospitals actively encourage women to explore many different positions.

the doctor and midwives always find it amusing that I have had all mine lying on my side. Apparently the only time the come across women having their baby in that position is in medical text books.

:party::hurray:

It is quite common in Australia to have a baby standing up. Most hospitals actively encourage women to explore many different positions.

the doctor and midwives always find it amusing that I have had all mine lying on my side. Apparently the only time the come across women having their baby in that position is in medical text books.

My first dd would have been born on my side if they had let me. I was stuck at 9 1/2. The nurse suggested laying on my side because it sometimes helps. I rolled over and instantly had to push. They forced me to assume the position, and it was near impossible to roll at the time, but I did.

OP- (I don't know how to double quote)- My Dr this past time suck his hands in me like that. It's the reason I would have to seriously, seriously have to think hard about having another hospital birth. I was at an 8, but he wanted to go hom and get back in bed. He had his hands up me, telling me to push, while trying to stretch out my cervix. Made the last 10 minutes of an otherwise ok labor absolutely unbearable. And left me exhausted

Edited by Scuff
Got cut short. Congratulations on your little one. :)

Guest jab300

Lovely story, congrats and thanks for sharing. I think the bolded part in the quote above is the key...it's what the hospital staff feels comfortable with that influences their procedures. Isn't that awful? Imagine how much better experience birthing would be if they would just give a little and let the mom be the focus.

Congratulations! I love to hear birth stories. And I wish nurses/doctors would trust that when we know our bodies, we just may know what we're talking about.

I had not heard of anyone else birthing on her side before. :high five:

My first dd would have been born on my side if they had let me. I was stuck at 9 1/2. The nurse suggested laying on my side because it sometimes helps. I rolled over and instantly had to push. They forced me to assume the position, and it was near impossible to roll at the time, but I did.

Thank goodness my doctor went along with me giving birth on my side. I did not plan it, but in the thick of things I just knew that's what I needed to do.

One interesting tidbit: dd was born at 5:30 p.m. Dr. was alert, happy, already at the hospital when delivery was imminent. Totally cool with the side position. Fast forward 2 1/2 years. Same dr, but he got the call for delivery at 5:30 a.m. He came in a bit grumpy and not really thrilled that I wanted to deliver on my side, but didn't insist on me being on my back.

Thanks for all the thoughts on this. I too love birth stories and never, ever tire from them.

I had NO IDEA how many women birthed on their sides.....or standing up.

My hope is that George's birth story can help encourage others.

My sister in law (my first neice!!) recieved an epideral and ended up with a c-section. When they pulled out baby she had a mark on her head that indicated she was a bit off kilter in the birth canal. SIL labored and got fully open and ready but baby just would not come down. She could not get up and move or shift to help make it happen....makes me very sad for her. Now she is having a scheduled c-section for number 2 baby and is stressed about what to do with 2 year for her recovery and such. I can't help but wonder how things would have forever been different for her had she been able to Hulu-hoop it.

e