Menu

Indigenous, Traditional Diets - what do you think?

GM corn can be organic, right? Doesn't organic just mean they add no pesticides/herbicides/chemical fertilizers? So you want organic AND non-Genetically Modified. I think it's *really* hard to find non GM food nowadays. If I remember correctly, nothing that is GM needs to be labeled that way and nearly *everything* is GM.

By definition, organic foods cannot contain genetically modified organisms. Cuba and perhaps a few other countries allow GMOs in their organic products, but the large majority of countries do not.

By definition, organic foods cannot contain genetically modified organisms.

Really???

My uncle is a microbiologist who has worked with GMOs and he once told me that it's pretty impossible to NOT eat them. If it's as simple as buying organic foods -- then I wonder what HIS problem was? :D

Really???

My uncle is a microbiologist who has worked with GMOs and he once told me that it's pretty impossible to NOT eat them. If it's as simple as buying organic foods -- then I wonder what HIS problem was? :D

Your uncle isn't wrong. The problem with GMOs is that they cross-contaminate everything else, so even if organic farmers are growing their crops as they're supposed to, there's no guarantee that the organic crops aren't being cross-contaminated by crops being grown elsewhere.

Your uncle isn't wrong. The problem with GMOs is that they cross-contaminate everything else, so even if organic farmers are growing their crops as they're supposed to, there's no guarantee that the organic crops aren't being cross-contaminated by crops being grown elsewhere.

Yes, but a good organic association will restrict the selling of cross contaminated products. Certified products are certified for a reason.

We have a farmer here whose organic certification was revoked because of cross contamination from Monsanto canola, I think it was- or wheat- and also Monsanto was going to sue him. There has been a big fundraising to help him with court costs.

The other thing is, we get a lot of irradiated food- our quarantine laws are very strict (for good reason) but you cant import food that is irradiated and call it organic here, even if it was grown organically.

Yes, but a good organic association will restrict the selling of cross contaminated products. Certified products are certified for a reason.

I understand that, but the problem is that you can't control the wind, so preventing cross-contamination is difficult. That's one of the reasons that Mexicans were so concerned when their government agreed to allow GMO corn. They know that eventually no matter how hard they try to prevent it, the GMO corn will contaminate all their many species of corn. It's sad.

We have a farmer here whose organic certification was revoked because of cross contamination from Monsanto canola, I think it was- or wheat- and also Monsanto was going to sue him. There has been a big fundraising to help him with court costs.

I read about that. I can't even begin to tell you how much I despise Monsanto.

The other thing is, we get a lot of irradiated food- our quarantine laws are very strict (for good reason) but you cant import food that is irradiated and call it organic here, even if it was grown organically.

The same is true here.

My dads family are mainly Irish and Dutch (Holland) as well as Cherokee (several in my ancestory....I look more like the Cherokees than the other ancestors. Related to Cheif Redbird) My mom's is more from European countries.

Nope! I do not eat like they do according to my research I just did. I did eat lots of potatoes however do not anymore as it raises my sugar level drastically and I gain 3 pounds after eating potatoes.

I am more of a meat eater in Red meat and chicken meat. I eat some fish but only shushi meats such as salmon, eel, scallops and some fish eggs. I will only eat Orange Roughy cooked. I am not a huge fan of fish. I can handle eating them raw better.

Holly

Unfortunately, some purveyors of organic goods in the U.S. have acquiesced and signed agreements with Monsanto to allow GM foods to be sold in their stores, so I'm not sure that there is any law, or even any hard and fast rule any more, that even attempts to protect us from GM foods....

Yes, I was just coming back to say the same thing. The monkey is out of the box now, and we'll probably never be able to catch him. I don't know what this means for our future, but I'm certainly not happy about it.... All we can do is try to buy organics from farmers who are trying to avoid GM contamination....

I agree with this. We've made a move over the past 5-6 years to change over to more organic or natural foods. We're seeing good results for our entire family. I do also seek out heritage foods when I can, too, rather than the current popular variety that is devoid of all nutrition. I rarely ever eat or serve iceberg lettuce, for instance....

Unfortunately, some purveyors of organic goods in the U.S. have acquiesced and signed agreements with Monsanto to allow GM foods to be sold in their stores, so I'm not sure that there is any law, or even any hard and fast rule any more, that even attempts to protect us from GM foods....

If you're talking about the Whole Foods and Organic Valley selling out to Monsanto allegation, this is untrue and has been thoroughly debunked.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240956

Dr. Dean suggests going back about 200-300 years. The theory is that our digestive system has adapted to that particular diet. If a someone with deep German roots moves to the tropics, perhaps it would take another 200-300 yrs to adapt to pineapple. :001_smile:

In that case, American. Most of my ancestors came to America in the early 1800s.

That's explains why the traditional diet of my ancestors doesn't work for me.

To return to the OP, my first thought was I don't know how that would work in this country as the cultures interbreed more than in prior generations. My kids are half northern European mutt (mostly Irish, German, and English), one quarter South American indian and one quarter Spanish (as in from Spain).

Barb

I'm American back the last 200 years or so (not even kidding, although it's totally unusual, I have no non-American ancestors on either side that came after the civil war), so I guess I get to eat fried chicken and cornbread?

Before that we were British/French, so I guess Baguettes and Fish and Chips for me! :lol:

I'm American back the last 200 years or so (not even kidding, although it's totally unusual, I have no non-American ancestors on either side that came after the civil war), so I guess I get to eat fried chicken and cornbread?

Before that we were British/French, so I guess Baguettes and Fish and Chips for me! :lol:

:iagree: :lol:

All of my ancestors have been here since the 1700's at least. I have some Cherokee and Algonquin blood in me, too. Mostly British blood overall according to my extensive genealogical research. I still eat mostly what my Grandma raised me on-Appalachian food.

but I like sushi and tropical fruits :D

Ummmm....cooked sushi...well, okay, cook the rice and the seaweed and then insert the raw fish???? Toasted Coconut???

I'm sorry Mommaduck, Rosie's post set me snickering and so now my brain has gone to crazy places.

Faith

First off, which ancestors? Unless one came from ancient Egyptian rulers, within the social group of whom one married ones siblings, by two hundred years ago, the family tree already is quite branched with unrelated members who, in theory, could have come from all over the planet.

For me, half of the tree would take me straight to Southern [u.S.] food, which I won't touch with a pole. :)

Ummmm....cooked sushi...well, okay, cook the rice and the seaweed and then insert the raw fish???? Toasted Coconut???

I'm sorry Mommaduck, Rosie's post set me snickering and so now my brain has gone to crazy places.

Faith

:lol: Naw, she cracked me up also :D I looooooovvvveee coconut, btw. I make my own hasa maki and ragoon. DH thinks I'm nuts to sit there and work at my food (especially when it comes to shellfish). And I go crazy in the GOYA section of food stores and asian markets. Did you know there is coconut soda? I think I'd puke if I had to eat haggis and I could live without red meat if I had to.

First off, which ancestors? Unless one came from ancient Egyptian rulers, within the social group of whom one married ones siblings, by two hundred years ago, the family tree already is quite branched with unrelated members who, in theory, could have come from all over the planet.

For me, half of the tree would take me straight to Southern [u.S.] food, which I won't touch with a pole. :)

*GASP!* Heresy! Fried chicken, bbq, grits, rice, watermelon...you would turn all that down?! (okay, grits I can understand if you aren't native of Southern culture)

I'm French Canadian, Italian, Mohican, and we aren't sure about the other 50% :001_huh:

I have no idea what I'd be eating. :D

We have no cultural foods in our house whatsoever as all my grandparents tried to assimilate as much as possible. My grandfather used to hate speaking French and only spoke it with his mother. Refused to teach his children. I guess I'll stick with good ol' American (mac & cheese and hot dogs!)

Edited by BeatleMania

oh geez, mine would be an odd diet! lol

I'm Danish, French, German, Scottish, Irish and a smidge of Blackfoot Indian, lol.

I do adore seafood. I'd much rather eat Asian food all of the time. Not interested in the food of my ancestors! My dd is half Asian (Thai), so I'll just eat the food of her ancestors, lol

:D

Did they really have a lot of dairy? I do eat dairy but have a feeling it's not ideal for me.

I read somewhere that for most people groups during ancient times, pretty much everyone was lactose-intolerant. And then sometime before the early middle ages, there was a genetic mutation that enabled one particular people group to digest cow's milk products -- they were the Norse/Scandinavian/Viking people, or at least one group of them. And now that they were able to have this new source of protein (which was relatively easy to obtain/maintain), they experienced a population boom, which led to them seeking new lands, etc. Over time, this genetic lactose-tolerance spread to other people, primarily in western Europe. But it didn't really spread to far away places, like East Asia.

I like watermelon. I don't eat meat or poultry anyway. Don't care for pillow-puff biscuits. Vegetables should not be cooked down to mush in butter/grease, and should not cohabit in the pot with a ham hock.

Grits are where unrepentant ears of corn end up following a sinful life. :D

I have no idea of how my preferences ended up so implacably opposed to Southern food, considering where and how I was raised! It truly makes me feel ill afterward, however. I'm just messing with you folks, though. My food preferences would be anathema to many of you all, I'm sure !

*GASP!* Heresy! Fried chicken, bbq, grits, rice, watermelon...you would turn all that down?! (okay, grits I can understand if you aren't native of Southern culture)
Edited by Orthodox6

I like watermelon. I don't eat meat or poultry anyway. Don't care for pillow-puff biscuits. Vegetables should not be cooked down to mush in butter/grease, and should not cohabit in the pot with a ham hock.

Grits are where unrepentant ears of corn end up following a sinful life. :D

I have no idea of how my preferences ended up so implacably opposed to Southern food, considering where and how I was raised! It truly makes me feel ill afterward, however. I'm just messing with you folks, though. My food preferences would be anathema to many of you all, I'm sure !

:lol::lol::lol: But you are a G.R.I.T.S., right?

:lol: That's what I thought, too. ("What about us mutts?")

I've only read the first page but that was my thought too. I don't even know all I am, a tad German I do know (less than 1/4), the rest is European of some sorts.:confused: Oh and my Grandpa said he had some blue eyed Indian.:lol: So glad I can eat ANYthing.:tongue_smilie:

Exactly what I thought! Add my husband's traditional balut and you'd have a gross-out fest at dinner:ack2:

Aw, come on....what's gross about pin feathers and duck bill? :drool5:

My ancestor's ate black pudding...it's made from blood. :001_huh:

Edited by Geo

You know I lived in Ireland for a year and never had corned beef in a restaurant, served in a home or anytime. I think corned beef is an 'americanization of an irish salted pork'. Cabbage is old world (just looked it up).

My mom's mom was off-the-boat Irish straight to my hometown Irish Parish in our Irish/Polish coal mining community in here in America and she never cooked corned beef. Lots of cabbage, potatoes, and onions and roast beef, pork, and bacon but no corned beef.

I could happily live on cabbage, turnips, onions, fish, and bacon. I hate sunshine and burn immediately on walking out my front door, I love rain and grey skies. Too bad my body hasn't figured out we left our homeland.

You need to move to the Pacific Northwest. It sounds right up your alley!:)

I should too. I burn within seconds and collapse in the heat. I have no business living in this kind of heat. Today's forecast F 102.

Aw, come on....what's gross about pin feathers and duck bill? :drool5:

My ancestor's ate black pudding...it's made from blood. :001_huh:

My dad used to eat blood pudding all the time. His heritage is

Scottish. I must admit that thught you'll never get me to like haggis I absolutely LOVE blood pudding. LOVE it. Yum.:)