Menu

SO, if you have flown with an infant, seat or no???

In light of all the discussions about flying with babies/toddlers, what is the general consensus on purchasing a seat for a 6 week old? There is no price break at all.

Does flight length make a difference? Can you put baby in a sling at any time? What are the rules?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In light of all the discussions about flying with babies/toddlers, what is the general consensus on purchasing a seat for a 6 week old? There is no price break at all.

Does flight length make a difference? Can you put baby in a sling at any time? What are the rules?

You can not use the sling on takeoff/landing

If you need a car seat on the other end, flying with a lap baby means checking the car seat -- which means risking damage/disappearance (the one time I flew with a lap baby my car seat was not on the other end when I got there. Even though it showed up 12 hours later, it made for a huge headache trying to get to the house we were staying at)

OTOH, at 6 weeks it is likely you will be holding the baby anyway, regardless of whether they have a seat again. I'm not sure what I'd choose, ultimately. I would NOT fly with an older child as a lap baby because it is just too hard to hold them still versus keeping them in the car seat they are used to having to stay in.

I did some big trips with my son when he was < 2. For a 6 week-old I would not buy a ticket. I found that it was far, far easier to just nurse them through. Now I did buy a seat when my son was 20 months and I did a 12 hour trans-pacific flight by myself. He was a big kid and there was no way I was going to be comfortable with him on my lap. Plus he was used to falling asleep in a carseat and so it helped him to nap most of the flight.

They are safer in the car seat, and that is good enough for me.

Also, if you have one of those cheap folding luggage carts, you can bungee the car seat with the baby in it to the cart, and pull it through the airport in the manner of a wagon. If you are flying through a place that requires lots of walking, like O'Hare in Chicago, this is invaluable. I once travelled like that, with a big diaper bag over one shoulder and a carry on over the other, pulling DD in the car seat, and people stopped me repeatedly to say how brilliant that was and to ask me where to buy a set up like that. It is SO much easier than carrying a car seat, full or not.

Nope, I've never bought a ticket for an under 2 child unless it was an overseas trip or especially long trip. It was always much easier for me to keep them close and to check the car seat.

For the still nursing ones, I just nursed them the whole flight and it never was a problem. Funny enough, the only times I bought a seat for the littler ones were the times they were the fussiest and most trouble. They spent FAR more time out of the seat than in it with me trying to calm them down.

For safety of the baby and other passengers, buying a seat and appropriately installed infant seat is a no-brainer.

As far as convience and courtesy to other travelers, I would imagine most infants are less an issue than toddlers (unless they are crying constantly).

I bought tickets for DD when she was 3 months and 4 months. I've always bought her a tickets except once when she was about a year old and I'll never do that again (not that I can, she's 4!). Even with a tiny infant it was so nice to have a place to put her when she slept so that I could rest too. And as a PP mentioned, having her car seat on board kept it safe too.

I know not everyone can do it, but it makes the flight so much more pleasant and easier in my no-so-humble opinion. And the baby is safer in her car seat than in my arms.

We flew a lot when DS was an infant. We always had him as a lap child, but brought his car seat and asked at check-in if we could be seated next to an appropriate empty seat so we could use it (and then checked it at the gate if we couldn't, which is safer for the seat anyways). Out of ten or so flights on multiple airlines, including supposedly "full" flights, there was only one where this didn't work (The only JetBlue flight, and it wasn't actually full, so i suspect that was their policy). I have a feeling they were understandably happier with the idea of babies being strapped in, and willing to make an effort to accommodate that.

This was 7 years ago though, and I get the impression from the recent threads that this might not work so well now.

I have flown numerous times and have never bought a seat for my under 2's. Most of the time there is an extra seat on the plane that they will block out for you. Honestly most of times I have had a blocked seat and brought a car seat, it just got in the way as my infants never wanted to be in it, and in an attempt to keep them happy and quiet as to not disturb other passengers, they are always in arms, eating, sleeping etc.

i was thankful to have the baby in the carseat in his seat when we went at 8 weeks. I could doze and not have to hold him. He wasn't in my lap and therefore in someone else's face.....you know how they like to reach out and grab things, lol.

It was worth the money when I flew. But our flights were 6-8 hours depending on the time of day. If it were a shorter flight I could see holding a baby. But for 6 hours....well worth the money!

We never flew with our dds not in their own seat, and we flew a lot when they were young. We would buy them their own seat and they would sit in their car seat. At the time they were under 2 we lived on the east coast and Europe, while our family lived on the west coast. It was a major expense but we felt they should be as protected as we were when flying.

Mary

I think (and numerous organizations agree) that for the baby's safety, he or she needs to be strapped into a car seat at least during take-off, landing, and turbulence. Flight length makes no difference to me, as the most risk is in the take-off and landing anyway. I can't imagine a tragedy in which I am unharmed because I am strapped safely into my seat and my baby is injured or dies. :crying:

Jmho, but I would save money on a lot of other things before I would not buy a seat for my baby on an airplane.

I have flown with my infants and I have always purchased them a seat and always carried on their carseat and strapped it in. Always.

Anything not strapped in becomes a projectile in the event of turbulence or a rough landing. If the 'fasten seatbelt' light is on, my children are strapped in. Period. I wouldn't drive down the interstate with my child unsecured and I won't fly with them that way, either.

I know the ticket costs the same, but I say it's worth the money. It's against airline policies for infants to be worn when the seatbelt light is on. They are supposed to be held on your lap during turbulence.

It really is a safety issue IMO rather than one of comfort, convenience, or even cost.

The one time I flew without a seat for my 6 week old (family emergency -- one ticket was a stretch to the budget), the airline lost the carseat, so we didn't have it for the other end. Made for some interesting times that I didn't need after a delayed flight, etc. In general, I find it ironic that you have to secure your purse, but your child can remain free to be a projectile around the cabin in the event of an emergency. Once they hit 9-10 mo and are getting mobile, the seat was always a no-brainer, as it made the plane seem like a car, and in the car, they were used to not being able to get up and move around for a couple of hours at a time. A child the same age as one of ours was injured on a flight we were on because he got squirmy and lunged into the aisle just as the cart came by.

There was only one time when my oldest was 2 months that I flew without buying the child a seat of his own. It was the worst flight ever. My son was awesome but it was hard to hold on to him that whole time. He never had a problem being strapped in his carseat, so after that first time all of our kids have always had a seat of their own to put their FAA approved carseat in.

I have never bought a seat for an under 2 yo and would only consider it if there were an extremely long flight, or we needed the extra baggage slots each ticket brings (or used to bring ;)). We gate check carseats/strollers. The cost is simply prohibitive for buying additional seats (and this is a reason we flew more when our children were younger, and do not now that they require their own tickets/seats).

I am really big on carseat safety, and I do not at all see the risk/benefit analysis to be the same for an airline ticket. Until there are studies showing the incidence of injury/death to lap infants/toddlers then I am not going to pay for a seat until required. And if someone brings up the Sioux City, IA crash as their 'reason' then I will say - that was one infant death of the millions of lap children who have flown, and it occurred over 20 years ago. There was a lap baby in the 'miracle on the Hudson' flight and that child survived the crash landing without injury.

There is a mountain of evidence for safe carseat practices and why they save lives/reduce injury. There is NOT a corresponding body of evidence for airline seat belt issues (which is why there are not 3 point harnesses on planes, for example).

Edited by Sevilla

If you can afford the seat, I'd get it. It makes it easier to maneuver because you have more space and a place to set the baby down while he or she is sleeping or when you're trying to dig something out of a bag. I never took short flights when my son was little, though, so that may influence my perspective. I really, really, really did not want a baby on my lap for five hours or more, so I always bought a seat.

Babies are safer in their seats. Seats are not safe being checked as baggage, they can get cracked or lost (egads!). The way I look at it is that if the plane experiences turbulence and baby gets thrown from your arms, you will really wish you'd spent the $$ on a seat.

We bought a seat for my DD for every trip there was one available (we had one trip for a funeral where there were two seats available, but not three). She slept better in a moving car than anywhere else, and a moving plane worked about as well :), and it made sure the car seat was there. It didn't mean she wasn't in our arms some of the time when we flew, especially if it was a long trip, but it gave us a safe place to put her down, and it certainly made me feel safer during taxi, takeoff, and landing.

Babies are safer in their seats. Seats are not safe being checked as baggage, they can get cracked or lost (egads!). The way I look at it is that if the plane experiences turbulence and baby gets thrown from your arms, you will really wish you'd spent the $$ on a seat.

Gate checking is different than putting it fully through baggage check, and in all the flights we have done the seats (and strollers) have been handled very well and no cracks/damage (I check).

There is ALWAYS something 'safer'. It is safer to never take my child to a pool, because hundreds of children drown each year. If I took my child to the pool and they drowned, I would wish I had not brought them.

The question is not really 'is it the safest option out there' but 'does the cost/benefit analysis = the safety gain' and THAT is where I am saying that for middle class families who cannot easily afford extra tickets, there has not (to my knowledge) been a demonstrable safety gain in buying a seat for a 6 week old who will be nursed take-off/landing and be in-arms for the duration of the flight (at least that's how my 6 week olds were - they hated their carseats anyway). If I made three times as much money as we currently do, I'd probably buy seats for everyone but still keep the child in my lap during the flight.

Oh, and on the price for flights-when my DD was under 2, I always called the airline directly to book flights. You do pay a fee for this service, but it usually led to a serious discount, and occasionally they'd block a seat and add it to the reservation, without charge-presumably if the ticket agent could see that the plane was half empty and didn't expect it to fill. It's been 4 years or so now, so maybe they've tightened up on this, but it's worth asking.

The last time we flew, we flew with eight children. Of the two youngest, one was itty bitty and another was a few months shy of two. The next two were three and a half and barely five. It was easier, for us, to bring a carseat for the toddler. We wished we had not for the 3yo or the 5yo. They were old enough to be still and sit fine so the carseats were a hassle. We're glad we did for the toddler because she knew how to sit still in a carseat, but I wonder if she would have done that well OUT of a carseat, kwiM? I don't think she would have so that was worthwhile.

For the baby, no, we did not take the carseat. She was tiny and sitting on my lap and nursing was the best way for us, definitely.

Our flight was supposed to be two flights - one short initial and then the second flight half way across the country. Nothing went according to plan and it ended up being four flights.... It went really smoothly, considering, lol.

Have any child over 3 or 4 carry a backpack. Take a pack for the little ones if they need a snack or something to draw or color on. We had a virtually tear free, quiet, lots of sleep, pleasant travel. :) (Turned out later they were all on the cusp of getting sick, but it worked out well to have a peaceful trip!)

Gate checking is different than putting it fully through baggage check, and in all the flights we have done the seats (and strollers) have been handled very well and no cracks/damage (I check).

There is often not visible damage, but xraying the seat will show hairline cracks that would fail in a crash.

There is ALWAYS something 'safer'. It is safer to never take my child to a pool, because hundreds of children drown each year. If I took my child to the pool and they drowned, I would wish I had not brought them.

Pools are safe if you keep within a few feet of your child.

The question is not really 'is it the safest option out there' but 'does the cost/benefit analysis = the safety gain' and THAT is where I am saying that for middle class families who cannot easily afford extra tickets, there has not (to my knowledge) been a demonstrable safety gain in buying a seat for a 6 week old who will be nursed take-off/landing and be in-arms for the duration of the flight (at least that's how my 6 week olds were - they hated their carseats anyway). If I made three times as much money as we currently do, I'd probably buy seats for everyone but still keep the child in my lap during the flight.

I personally don't look at my child's life as a cost benefit analysis equation. Dead is dead, injured is injured. For *me* if I can't afford the seat, we don't go.

If you ask any airline attendant, they can tell you horror stories of unrestrained babies.

If you opt for not buying a seat, you can gate check your carseat to avoid it getting lost. This is what I have done every time we've flown.

My car seat WAS gate checked the time it got lost. (They also lost the gate-checked stroller). It showed up 12 hours after we did.

Both times my stroller has been damaged on an airplane, they were gate-checked. Not at baggage claim. Gate checking is no proof against loss OR damage.

Edited by vonfirmath

I personally don't look at my child's life as a cost benefit analysis equation. Dead is dead, injured is injured. For *me* if I can't afford the seat, we don't go.

Of course you do - every.single.parent does this with everything they do. Driving to the airport on the highway is a cost-benefit analysis equation. The type of car you purchase (and its safety features) is a cost-benefit analysis equation. When you give your child nuts to eat, grapes that aren't cut in quarters, hot dogs that aren't cut in half, popcorn - those are all life-and-death cost-benefit analysis equations. It would save lives from choking if no child ever ate grapes or hot dogs. The fact that your house has stairs, or your child sleeps in a bunk bed, or that you hand your child a dropped snack in the car while driving is a cost-benefit analysis equation that involves actual life-and-death prospects. Same goes for going on a trip to visit grandparents - children DIE driving to visit relatives in cars (even when properly restrained). It is far safer and will preserve lives if no one drove in a car. Yet we have decided as a whole as a society that the benefits of driving outweigh the risks.

To act as if plane travel is in some sort of special category where there is only one clear-cut answer that saves lives and anyone else is a neglectful parent is ludicrous - flying on a plane on my lap is SAFER for a 1 year old child statistically than the 1 hour drive to the airport in a rear-facing carseat.

If you ask any airline attendant, they can tell you horror stories of unrestrained babies.

Yep. I don't see how one could argue that a properly restrained infant is not safer than a lap-sitting one during take-off, landing, and turbulence. One might argue the odds of injury during those events. I'm not taking my chances. If I need to be buckled in then so does my infant. If I cannot afford the tickets then I don't fly.

My car seat WAS gate checked the time it got lost. (They also lost the gate-checked stroller). It showed up 12 hours after we did.

Both times my stroller has been damaged on an airplane, they were gate-checked. Not at baggage claim. Gate checking is no proof against loss OR damage.

So I should have said "help avoid" rather than "avoid.":001_smile: I still think it lowers the risk of loss or damage.

Of course you do - every.single.parent does this with everything they do. Driving to the airport on the highway is a cost-benefit analysis equation. The type of car you purchase (and its safety features) is a cost-benefit analysis equation. When you give your child nuts to eat, grapes that aren't cut in quarters, hot dogs that aren't cut in half, popcorn - those are all life-and-death cost-benefit analysis equations. It would save lives from choking if no child ever ate grapes or hot dogs. The fact that your house has stairs, or your child sleeps in a bunk bed, or that you hand your child a dropped snack in the car while driving is a cost-benefit analysis equation that involves actual life-and-death prospects. Same goes for going on a trip to visit grandparents - children DIE driving to visit relatives in cars (even when properly restrained). It is far safer and will preserve lives if no one drove in a car. Yet we have decided as a whole as a society that the benefits of driving outweigh the risks.

To act as if plane travel is in some sort of special category where t.here is only one clear-cut answer that saves lives and anyone else is a neglectful parent is ludicrous - flying on a plane on my lap is SAFER for a 1 year old child statistically than the 1 hour drive to the airport in a rear-facing carseat.

:iagree: We are generally a very safety-conscious family. We all wear helmets for wheeled sports and snowboarding. We wear sunblock, hats, and rash guards while swimming. My 21-month-old still rides rear-facing in the car. (and much more)

Can anyone link to real statistics about injuries to unrestrained children on airplanes? We've decided for our family that the risk of injury is small enough that we'd rather our child get to actually see his grandparents more than once a year.

Yep. I don't see how one could argue that a properly restrained infant is not safer than a lap-sitting one during take-off, landing, and turbulence. One might argue the odds of injury during those events. I'm not taking my chances. If I need to be buckled in then so does my infant. If I cannot afford the tickets then I don't fly.

Yes, and the idea of surviving a preventable death of an infant is beyond intolerable.

:iagree: We are generally a very safety-conscious family. We all wear helmets for wheeled sports and snowboarding. We wear sunblock, hats, and rash guards while swimming. My 21-month-old still rides rear-facing in the car. (and much more)

Can anyone link to real statistics about injuries to unrestrained children on airplanes? We've decided for our family that the risk of injury is small enough that we'd rather our child get to actually see his grandparents more than once a year.

I am not aware of any studies conducted on the topic; however, if adults need to be restrained during specific events (and are safer when they are restrained during those events) it stands to reason that a restrained infant would also be safer, no? I mean, if they were selling cheap seats that lacked safety belts for the 3+ crowd, I wouldn't buy them. Likely I won't really need the seatbelt, but I don't want to take the chance, even if it does save me several hundred bucks.

There are horror stories about virtually anything. Bikes, trampolines, medicines. We still use these things however. It would probably be even safer if we drove in our cars and on airplanes with a safety helmet.

Know anyone who does that?

:auto:

I flew with a 6 month old from CA to SC and back with no seat for him. I want to say it was manageable but as I recall (it was 13 years ago) the seat next to me was empty anyway.

I flew overseas and did purchase a seat.

Dawn

It's interesting that this is not considered a sufficient argument in a car. Something to think about.

Your chance of being in a car crash in your lifetime is something like 1 in 4. SUVs are more dangerous to their occupants than regular passenger cars (in general). So yes to the seatbelts and carseats in cars. I have known plenty of people who have been in car accidents. I don't know anyone who has been in a plane crash, or who has had turbulance that did more than spill their drink.

What is it about our psychology that makes us think shelling out an extra $200-$400 for an airline seat affords significantly more safety, but no one would dream of wearing the safety helmet either in a car or on a plane.

Safety first, unless it messes with your hair!

:lol:

It's interesting that this is not considered a sufficient argument in a car. Something to think about.

Yes, but in a car, if my child does not want to be in his car seat and screams, it is perfectly acceptable for me to ignore his temper tantrum for safety sake when only my family will suffer, or with a discontent infant I can pull over, calm the child, meet his needs and then carry on. On a plane, if I sat there reading a book while my infant/toddler screamed in his seat, I am pretty sure no one would find that acceptable. And we are not talking about the parent not trying. I ALWAYS board prepared. I travel A LOT. I bring new toys the children have never seen, levels of various snacks (offer cracker, goldfish, it that doesn't work we move on to fruit snacks, lollipops and candy as a last resort), plenty of activities and diversions. Almost always my kids are great, we almost always get compliments on the behavior of my children and infants on planes. I once had someone tell me he almost moved when he saw me and my 3 small children sit near him, and thanked for my wonderfully quiet and well behaved children. Yet, if I were to force them to stay in a car seat, there might have been riots :tongue_smilie:

I guess I just think, a car seat is only safer if you actually use it. In my not limited experience, my infants and toddlers are not content to sit in a car seat on a plane, (they are accustomed to the car seat, but a plane does not provide the movement feel they are used to). No one wants to hear my child scream, so out of common courtesy I hold my child, therefore negating the purposes of both buying a ticket and bringing a car seat.

It is recommended to nurse babies during take off and landing as well for ears, so that would negate a large reason for the the car seat, if one were to say that take off and landing alone benefit the use of a car seat.

Genuinely curious, for those of you that would not dream of not buying a seat for your infant/toddler, do they actually stay in the seat?

Yes, the carseat is only safer if you actually use it. If the fasten seatbelt light is on, then I use it. If my baby cries, so be it. The light is on and my baby is in his seatbelt. I don't care if other passengers don't like it.

No, my babies do not stay in the seat the entire time (though my toddlers do, unless they need to use the restroom). But when that light comes on they go in the seat. No question.

I think it depends on if your are nursing, etc. I would NEVER buy a seat for a 6 week old as they do best nursing during the flight and sleeping in my arms. I have had very pleasant experiences with little ones in my arms very content and they probably would not be as much in a seat. I do understand people being concerned about the safety issue. But, it is very expensive so it depends on if you can afford to pay an extra ticket when you can just have them with you for free. I know, save a few bucks or possible death/injury. People need to do what they are most comfortable with and not made to feel bad about their decisions.

I have always wondered though...in times of needing oxygen, is there an extra mask for the lap children? I never figured that out. :confused:

ETA: Oh, and if it is such a huge safety issue then the best thing for airlines to do is charge half price for children. I understand they are taking up a whole seat but, sheesh, it gets pricey if you have a lot of kids.

The FAA and the AAP both strongly recommend the use of Child Restraint Systems during takeoff, landing, and turbulence.

The FAA brochure says:

The AAP Policy Statement on Restraint use on Aircraft [pub 2001, reaffirmed multiple times since] says:

Abstract:

Recommendations:

Under no circumstances would I fly without having my baby properly restrained.

All this stuff just plays into paranoia that we have today. I mean, how did I and all my friends survive riding our bikes without helmets? Or back in the day before car seats? Or all the crazy crib (sleep) rules today --yes, I co-slept with all 4 kids!!! Sheesh. Parents need to use their own discernment and common sense. Some parents are dumb and need help discerning and statistics may help you decide what is best. But these should all be freedoms (like if you don't vaccinate, wear helmets while bike riding, etc). Whatever, just a tangent. Sorry.

I have always wondered though...in times of needing oxygen, is there an extra mask for the lap children? I never figured that out. :confused:

I have flown on 16 flights w/my ds, and most of the planes had one extra mask in each row on both sides of the aisle. Only one lap child was allowed per side for this reason. The other flights had an extra mask only on the right-hand side of the aisle (as you face the front), so the attendant would re-seat us there.

Do you anticipate the flight being full?

I haven't flown with a baby for 5 years, so I'm not sure the following still applies. When traveling with my kids, I always carried the car seats to the gate. On every single flight, there was an extra seat available. They had me install the car seats and put the kids in them. I was told that if the flight filled up, they would gate check the seat for free with the stroller. Because gate check items are last on, first off, they are less likely to be damaged. The stewardesses said the airlines greatly prefer infants to be in seats for safety reasons, which is why I was given seats for my kids. I preferred having my baby in a seat so I could run to the restroom while she slept. It was easy enough for a stewardess to watch my strapped-in babies sleep.

To act as if plane travel is in some sort of special category where there is only one clear-cut answer that saves lives and anyone else is a neglectful parent is ludicrous - flying on a plane on my lap is SAFER for a 1 year old child statistically than the 1 hour drive to the airport in a rear-facing carseat.

Exactly. This is, from what I've read, why the FAA allows lap babies - even as a lap baby, they're still safer than if they drove to their destination.

I think it depends on if your are nursing, etc. I would NEVER buy a seat for a 6 week old as they do best nursing during the flight and sleeping in my arms. I have had very pleasant experiences with little ones in my arms very content and they probably would not be as much in a seat. I do understand people being concerned about the safety issue. But, it is very expensive so it depends on if you can afford to pay an extra ticket when you can just have them with you for free. I know, save a few bucks or possible death/injury. People need to do what they are most comfortable with and not made to feel bad about their decisions.

Yeah, age makes a difference. Holding my mobile 8 month old on my lap for a long flight would be a pain and a half - she doesn't want to be held unless she's nursing. But in a car seat, with all the gentle movement and white noise, she'd be likely to sleep. But a 2 month old? Totally different story.

Though the one flight we did take where we weren't allowed to use a car seat was the day before DS turned 1, and I don't recall it being particularly horrible.

Edited by ocelotmom

Yeah, age makes a difference. Holding my mobile 8 month old on my lap for a long flight would be a pain and a half - she doesn't want to be held unless she's nursing. But in a car seat, with all the gentle movement and white noise, she'd be likely to sleep. But a 2 month old? Totally different story.

Yes, holding my 1yo on a red eye flight was hard. I was soooo tired and thankfully he was sleeping but I was crowded! The flight back we ended up with the seats that have extra leg room. Wow! Wonderful...totally worth that money (which we didn't actually have to pay but I would consider it in the future). And cheaper than an entire seat. But, that is not what OP is asking about, so sorry for getting off topic. :) I am good at that.