Menu

Would you allow your children to visit relatives in this situation?

My children and my brother's children are big buddies. They love-love-love being together. Sometimes his 2 spend the night here; sometimes 2 or 3 of mine (the ones closest in age) spend the night there. Db is kind to my dc. Sil is precious -- she helps them pick out enjoyable things to do and makes fun treats. Our relationship isn't perfect, but it's good and close.

Db and sil are animal lovers. I am to a certain extent, but not as much as db. Besides dogs and cats and fish, db has tarantulas and scorpions in glass cages. I don't like these particular pets, but they're caged and, as long as he doesn't give them to my children, I'm okay with it.

The thing that concerns me is a recent development. Db just adopted a Great Dane (this makes the 3rd or 4th dog -- I can't keep up). He's a beauty and a sweetie and they all love him. He's still a pup (6-8 mos?) but huge.

Well, this sweetheart recently broke through their backyard fence and led his buddy, their black lab, over to a neighbor's yard. Db lives in a neighborhood with small lots inside the city limits. The dogs broke into a neighbor's yard and attacked the dog.

Db paid the vet bill and the dog survived.

Great Dane did it again last week. Since db is paying another vet bill, he claims he can't afford to fix the fence yet and the dog is inside all the time.

I'm wondering if I should view this dog as a big old lovable baby anymore. And if I should be comfortable with my elementary aged children hanging around over there. The dog is strong and attacked, nearly killing, someone else's pet in its own yard. Totally unprovoked! Could he (they) be dangerous?

I've always had a dog or cat or two, and we've had pets attack squirrels or birds or rabbits . . . but this seems more sinister and dangerous.

My db would probably be furious with me if I kept the children away because of this. He feels they're safe. But sil is tired of the bills and heartsick over the neighbor's dog. She's considering giving up the dog or having him put down . . .

Neither dog has ever even growled at db's young children. What do you think?

Well, if they continue going over there, we're counting on the dog to be able to distinguish between other dogs and children, and we're counting on the dog to be in a good mood.

That is a lot of confidence to place in an immature dog that is big enough to kill what it attacks.

JMO.

You only have to be wrong once.

I would not be comfortable with my children in their home right now.

This is determined aggression, and could easily be redirected. I don't know the dog's history--perhaps your brother does--but there is something very wrong with a puppy who is leaving his territory to seek out other dogs to attack.

I would not want my kids over there. It sounds like there is a good chance they will get rid of the dog soon. Maybe you could be "busy" if they invite your kids over for the next little bit and see if they get rid of the dog. Then things won't turn ugly with your relationship to them.

2 things to consider.

1. How old are your kids? If they are 8 and older- wouldn't bother me.

2. You say the dog wasn't provoked, BUT said dog entered another dog's yard. Dog number 2 (neighbor's dog) most likely went after the dane upon entrance, because dane was invading dog number 2's territory, and was protecting it's property. So, although dane did a bad thing, it could have been going over to play, then had to defend itself. Just a thought.

Your db really needs to dane proof the fence.

Edited by Unicorn
clarification

An immature puppy can really t-off another dog, to the point of violent attacks. Without seeing the fight, it very well could be that the dane just went over there and then defended itself.

Danes are, for the most part, big loveable dorks. I have heard that if improperly bred - or if an aggressive dane is bred - that they can have issues.

My dane is afraid of garbage cans, small dogs, tricycles, and garden statuary.... it is hard for me to imagine an "aggressive" dane....

2 things to consider.

2. You say the dog wasn't provoked, BUT said dog entered another dog's yard. Dog number 2 most likely went after the dane upon entrance, because dane was invading dog number 2's territory, and was protecting it's property. So, although dane did a bad thing, it could have been going over to play, then had to defend itself. Just a thought.

My impression is that Dog #2 was ALSO their dog. (edit: never mind, I think you're referring to Dog # 3)

The odds that the dog would attack a child may be small (and no one really knows for sure what those odds are), but the odds that a child would be badly hurt IF he attacked are probably pretty good.

An immature puppy can really t-off another dog, to the point of violent attacks. Without seeing the fight, it very well could be that the dane just went over there and then defended itself.

Danes are, for the most part, big loveable dorks. I have heard that if improperly bred - or if an aggressive dane is bred - that they can have issues.

My dane is afraid of garbage cans, small dogs, tricycles, and garden statuary.... it is hard for me to imagine an "aggressive" dane....

This is me....I just can't wrap my head around an aggressive dane but I guess it is possible.

I think it would depend on ages of kids as to whether I would let them go over....

No. At this point the dog can't be trusted and if he lead the other dog to attack another animal, there is evidence if it attacks one of the kids, the other dog will think its okay. I say let them know you aren't comfortable sending the kids over under the circumstances.

My sister had two mix breed pit bull dogs that weren't well trained. The one and only time we went to their house, they jumped all over James, licking him on the face and knocking him down. When they weren't allowed to continue, the alpha dog decided he no longer liked James and kept growling at him. We haven't been back since.

If the dane has set itself up as alpha, that's a problem.

Is it a panther dane? I've a soft spot for Danes and the 4 bites I know of were ALL black Danes.

Is the puppy "fixed"?

As I remember (I'd only seen the dog from the back window when we visited before) he was gray and splotchy.

I'm pretty sure neither of db's male dogs are fixed (the Great Dane and the black lab). That could be an issue.

2 things to consider.

2. You say the dog wasn't provoked, BUT said dog entered another dog's yard. Dog number 2 (neighbor's dog) most likely went after the dane upon entrance, because dane was invading dog number 2's territory, and was protecting it's property. So, although dane did a bad thing, it could have been going over to play, then had to defend itself. Just a thought.

The children in question range from 6-12. There is minimal supervision of the children at play because they have so many toys and electronics in their bedrooms. The adults would not necessarily be in the same room with them, I mean. The dc could be scattered all over the house or playing in the front yard or hunting for tadpoles in the ditch down the street . . .

Dog #1 (Great Dane) and Dog #2 (black lab) both belong to my db. Together they hurt a neighbor's smaller breed dog INSIDE the neighbor's back yard (they must have gotten over or through another fence). I think this is what concerns me the most: two dogs seem to have more than twice the aggression and power of one dog alone . . .

No. At this point the dog can't be trusted and if he lead the other dog to attack another animal, there is evidence if it attacks one of the kids, the other dog will think its okay. I say let them know you aren't comfortable sending the kids over under the circumstances.

My sister had two mix breed pit bull dogs that weren't well trained. The one and only time we went to their house, they jumped all over James, licking him on the face and knocking him down. When they weren't allowed to continue, the alpha dog decided he no longer liked James and kept growling at him. We haven't been back since.

If the dane has set itself up as alpha, that's a problem.

Yes, I think that's my suspicion. They had the black lab first and he never even tried to escape the yard. This new puppy has more power and motivation to get into trouble (making his way into a neighbor's yard) . . . and it looks like the lab is the follower.

I love dogs. We have 4. Dh is a vet. . .

I would not allow my kids to go over there. There are just too many unknowns.

If they could invest in a dog behaviorist (not a trainer, a behaviorist), and could follow their instructions, it's entirely likely this dog could be 'fixed' before another disaster strikes. But, without serious investment of time, $$, and expertise, it is highly likely the dog will continue to attack. You don't know if it'll be another dog, or a child, or an adult. . . I would not allow my kids there unless I was present to supervise, and I would not allow my kids to play with (or in the same physical space) as the dog. The dog should be on a leash, with a handler, indefinitely, at all times, until he is thoroughly and expertly trained -- not a job for lay persons w/o expert guidance.

TBH, I think this dog would be *much* better off if they could contact a breed specific rescue to rehome him NOW with assistance from behavior experts, or, if that is a deadend, they should put him down. The longer this goes on, the less likely that the dog can ever be a safe companion. It's not fair to another family to rehome him w/o expert guidance. . .

It's not worth the risk. Dogs can, and do, kill. Adults as well as kids. Dogs of that size can, and do, kill adults as well.

I'd take my brother and SIL to coffee, sit down, and tell them straight up that you love them, but are frightened for your kids, and for theirs. Tell them that you'd like to be the hostess for sleepovers and playdates until they have had time to figure out the problem with the dog. . . and, no, a better fence isn't the whole solution. There is more to it. . .

I wouldn't and here's why. The only dog to ever attack me was a Great Dane. I was out walking and had passed this dog and owner and had made my way to the end of the trail and was headed back. On my way home I had to walk pass them...he came completely across the road and grabbed me by my shoulder. He ripped my jacket and shirt and scared the toodle out of me. This dog was huge and the owner could not control him. She was also pushing a baby carriage with a newborn in it. This particular dog was aggressive and wouldn't listen to her when given commands.

The children in question range from 6-12. There is minimal supervision of the children at play because they have so many toys and electronics in their bedrooms. The adults would not necessarily be in the same room with them, I mean. The dc could be scattered all over the house or playing in the front yard or hunting for tadpoles in the ditch down the street . . .

Dog #1 (Great Dane) and Dog #2 (black lab) both belong to my db. Together they hurt a neighbor's smaller breed dog INSIDE the neighbor's back yard (they must have gotten over or through another fence). I think this is what concerns me the most: two dogs seem to have more than twice the aggression and power of one dog alone . . .

I'll be the dissenting vote. The above is (troublesome for the owner) dog behavior. It does not make the dogs a risk to humans - from a safety standpoint (only a liability/insurance one.)

We love our animals but it is appalling what some people think dogs should be allowed to do. No, this is not a home I would send my kids to until they get their porverbial ducks in a row. Not only would I fear for my kids' but I'd also worry about their reactions if the GD breaks out and kills something while the kids are there. Wow.

The not neutering is a potential problem but most breeders and vets don't like to neuter until the dog is fully grown.