Menu

Bookcase Bliss

Love it! We did something very much like that in our first house. It's actually what sold the house. The buyers took one look at it and said, "gotta have this house." :) I've wanted to do the same thing in our gameroom, but it hasn't happened yet. We have too many other projects.

I know how much work that was. You did a fabulous job!

I know some of you love books and those things that hold books as much as me, so I wanted to share the "project" we just completed (and I use "we" loosely, as dh did the hard work) :) it turned out lovely!!

http://seasonsoflearning.blogspot.com/2011/06/is-it-possible-to-be-in-love-with-wood.html

Awesome!

I have a plan for some bookcases myself, but would also love the bottoms to be enclosed. Are those cabinets wall cabinets? The upper bookcases are made with 1x12's?

I love it!

Off to modify my SketchUp plans...

That's great! I want a picture that shows all the cabinet doors open, though! hehehe!

Umm...yea, sure, well...I tried to get a pic of that, but it didn't turn out :D

and I looke through you blog a bit and your redheaded boy.....oh my....what a cutiepie!!

e

:iagree:

my sweet little man, the boy who thinks he can pee anywhere he pleases! :tongue_smilie:

....quite a little pistol with that red hair!

Love it! We did something very much like that in our first house. It's actually what sold the house. The buyers took one look at it and said, "gotta have this house." :) I've wanted to do the same thing in our gameroom, but it hasn't happened yet. We have too many other projects.

I know how much work that was. You did a fabulous job!

Ahhh...a selling point - good to know. It would have sold me :D

Awesome!

I have a plan for some bookcases myself, but would also love the bottoms to be enclosed. Are those cabinets wall cabinets? The upper bookcases are made with 1x12's?

I love it!

Off to modify my SketchUp plans...

The cabinets are those stock ready-to-finish kitchen cabinets that you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot. They are the upper ones because those are not as deep as the bottom cabinets. The upper shelving was made from MDF. This was a bookcase on a budget ;)

That came out beautifully!

I do have to say that opening anything about "books" or "bookshelves" on this forum, I'm never sure what I'm going find!

Ha, ha! That never occurred to me -- though I admit a similar thought did pop into my mind when I saw the thread titled "want to see my puppies?" :lol:

Thank you all for the the sweet comments and sharing in my delight! I wish you each could have one as well!!!

If you build it, books will come. :D

The cabinets are those stock ready-to-finish kitchen cabinets that you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot. They are the upper ones because those are not as deep as the bottom cabinets. The upper shelving was made from MDF. This was a bookcase on a budget ;)

Thank you all for the the sweet comments and sharing in my delight! I wish you each could have one as well!!!

If you build it, books will come. :D

That's what I thought. They didn't look like base cabs. I hope the mdf works out well for you. It's generally pretty strong (and wonderful to paint), but not like planks. It can sag over time with wider spans and any amount of weight.

If they should ever start to sag, it can be fixed by adding a back and/or some 1x2 facing pieces up the sides and across each shelf--kind of like this hutch. Or even cleats on the wall behind if you intend to never move them. That would be quick & cheap (ETA: I think I do see some in there above the TV, but it's hard to see with all the white primer.).

I had planned to make some bookshelves, and was thinking of adding doors to the bottom shelves. It would be much easier to do something like what you did.

I just need to finish the second bookcase I started for dd's room. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by darlasowders