Menu

I'm biting my tongue and trying not to judge...

If you read the parents control at IMDB you can usually get a good idea without too many spoilers. They do cover some spoilers.

I've taken ds to some R rated movies, but the Hangover II? That's not a movie I would see in the theater (wait for Netflix), but I would try to sit away from any children.

If you like crass humor and Zack G, Due Date was hilarious in all the wrong ways. He and Robert Downey Jr were great together.

Awesome, thank you!

It was not meant as an insult. What I meant by "blissful ignorance" is that (TO ME) it seems like people do not want their movie experience *spoiled* by finding out what is in it. And because of that they don't do the research to see if a movie is filth or not.

I didn't care to look, my friends said it was hysterical, I went. I guess I laugh at filth.

Well, you're just that much better of a Christian than I am.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, thank you!

I didn't care to look, my friends said it was hysterical, I went. I guess I laugh at filth.

Well, you're just that much better of a Christian than I am.

Wow. I guess I should tell you that I am not the kind of poster that always inserts IME, MY OPINION, I THINK, IMHO. I don't do that because if I write something here it is MY OPINION.

Your comment about *better Christian* is unnecessary and hurtful. Go back over the posts. I didn't mention Christ at all. I think it's interesting that you assume I am one.

I'm really starting to wonder whether people look at reviews before they go to movies, or is it just blissful ignorance helping them make the choice?

:confused: You don't necessarily need movie reviews to make a decision about whether you want to see a movie or not. I purposely do not read reviews, because I don't want anyone else's opinions coloring my experience of a movie. I wasn't blissfully ignorant about the content of the first one, and I won't be blissfully ignorant of the content of the second one when I go see it. It may not be your idea of humor, but some of us find it funny and feel no guilt over it. I certainly agree that it's not a movie my children will see anytime soon, but I highly doubt that those parents had no idea what the content was before they took their kids to see it.

And you're a regular and pretty vocal poster here, so it's probably known to other regular posters here that you're posting from a conservative Christian worldview.

Um.. I purposefully do not read reviews. I choose movies based on what looks interesting to me. What other people think about it is totally irrelevant to whether or not I may see it.

The kind of review I am talking about is like the one I linked. How much sexual content, drug and alcohol use (BTW, the kid in the movie who went out drinking with the guys (who got hangovers) was 16 years old), how many F words, how many times "God/Jesus" is used and it what way. Do you want to know this information? Knowing things like these definitely doesn't spoil a movie for me. It keeps me away from many of them, but it doesn't spoil it.

Reviews have nothing to do with it.

Some people just make really, really, different choices for their kids (gender free babyhood, anyone? :lol:)

I know someone who let his preschooler watch Scarface, for instance. :001_huh:

:iagree: I know of people whose kids started watching jaws at age 1, then moved on to the Freddy and Jason movies, Saw, and similar movies from about 3 on and by the age of 7 fell asleep each night watching adult swim (which I'd never heard of before the parents told me).

The kind of review I am talking about is like the one I linked. How much sexual content, drug and alcohol use (BTW, the kid in the movie who went out drinking with the guys (who got hangovers) was 16 years old), how many F words, how many times "God/Jesus" is used and it what way. Do you want to know this information? Knowing things like these definitely doesn't spoil a movie for me. It keeps me away from many of them, but it doesn't spoil it.

You are presuming that these things matter to all of us. They don't bother me or influence me. That it's portrayed in a movie doesn't make me think it's actually OK for 16-year-olds to drink, the language doesn't faze me, etc. I'm glad that reviews work for you. I don't need them unless I'm looking for spoilers.

Edited by melissel

:iagree: I know of people whose kids started watching jaws at age 1, then moved on to the Freddy and Jason movies, Saw, and similar movies from about 3 on and by the age of 7 fell asleep each night watching adult swim (which I'd never heard of before the parents told me).

My kids have all seen the original Jaws (I skipped the s*x on the beach scene at the beginning) and it's one of their favorite movies. They were 11, 6, and 4 when they watched it for the first time! I wouldn't dream of letting them watch the other films that you mentioned though.

Please read the reviews before you go. I truly hope you will change your mind. Maybe try Candid Camera reruns or Funniest Home videos--they will give you the laugh you want without the feeling of guilt.

What the heck? Did you address this statement yet dmmosher? Why does it matter to you what movie another adult chooses to go see? Or am I misinterpreting your words? Good grief.

but I have to let it out somewhere! A family that we know took their ten and eleven year old sons to see The Hangover 2. And they are upset that some of the moviegoers gave them a hard time. That is all. I just had to get it out.

I can imagine what their kids' friends get to see when they're over for a rental.

Please read the reviews before you go. I truly hope you will change your mind. Maybe try Candid Camera reruns or Funniest Home videos--they will give you the laugh you want without the feeling of guilt.

Umm... Thanks, but I'm an adult and get to make my own decisions regarding movies.

Umm... Thanks, but I'm an adult and get to make my own decisions regarding movies.

Of course. I only wrote what I did because I thought you were conflicted about seeing it. "Heck, I know dh and I probably shouldn't watch it, but the first was just so funny".

Sounds like Zach G. thought the movie was indecent, but because it made tons of money and allowed his family to travel, he set his objections aside. At one time he tried to change people's minds about seeing it. I guess he can do it without criticism because he is rich and famous :lurk5:

Off to tuck children in.

but I have to let it out somewhere! A family that we know took their ten and eleven year old sons to see The Hangover 2. And they are upset that some of the moviegoers gave them a hard time. That is all. I just had to get it out.

I remember going to see "Silence of the Lambs" in the theatre. Part way through a distinctly tiny voice piped up "Mommy what is that man doing?" Every head in that theatre turned and saw a girl who couldn't be more than 5 years old being dragged down the aisle by her mother. I'm sure at least a couple of people made some suggestions as to the parenting character of the mother on their way out.

I've never quite forgotten that, and I still wonder why people bring young children to movies that are obviously not meant for young eyes.

We've let our kids watch lots of things that other people here consider grossly inappropriate. We have always said that, for the most part, we censor for quality rather than for content. So, Othello (which my son saw performed live when he was six), sure. Victor/Victoria (which was my daughter's favorite movie when she was three), certainly.

And, while I wouldn't take my children to see a film that derives its laughs from gross-our humor, I very much value my own right to decide what is appropriate for my family. So, I have to stand by the rights of other parents to decide what works for theirs.

I can't say how I would react seeing a child at a screening of this film, because I wouldn't ever be there in the first place. It's not my kind of humor. (It's not a moral stance, by the way. I just don't think it's funny.) But I hope I would be as gracious to them as I would want other patrons to be to me if the situation were reversed.

Ok. Dh and I loved the first movie and are dying to see the second. However, there would be no way in h-e-double-hockeysticks that we would bring (or ever allow) our 10yo to see it. Heck, I know dh and I probably shouldn't watch it, but the first was just so funny.

OP, I'm glad you vented here. That is a parenting decision that would have me scratching my head as well. But, to each his/her own, I guess.

:iagree:

ETA - I have absolutely no guilt about watching the first movie. It is raunchy and funny and we loved it!

Edited by kitten18

Please explain this to me (the blue). I don't understand what the difference is where you are sitting.

Because I am not the mother of other people. I also have the sense of humor of an adult, not as in boomchicka wowow adult, but life experience. What I may find humorous and laugh at may not be how I would express myself in front of younger children.

I remember going to see "Silence of the Lambs" in the theatre. Part way through a distinctly tiny voice piped up "Mommy what is that man doing?" Every head in that theatre turned and saw a girl who couldn't be more than 5 years old being dragged down the aisle by her mother. I'm sure at least a couple of people made some suggestions as to the parenting character of the mother on their way out.

I've never quite forgotten that, and I still wonder why people bring young children to movies that are obviously not meant for young eyes.

We saw The Exorcist when it was re-released around here years ago, and someone had a little girl of about 4 or 5 in the theater. When the movie started, you could hear a small, upset voice saying loudly, "Daddy, I'm scared! Daddy!" :( He just kept shushing her and refused to take her out. They stayed for the whole movie. It was so upsetting.

In our previous town they had an evening rule on R rated shows. Anyone under the age of 6 was not allowed in an R movie after 6pm.

Personally we skipped a lot of movies when we didn't have a babysitter, ones we felt were inappropriate for ds. Instead we'd rent a movie, get take out, watch a family movie with ds, and then watch our movie after ds went to bed.

Of course. I only wrote what I did because I thought you were conflicted about seeing it. "Heck, I know dh and I probably shouldn't watch it, but the first was just so funny".

Sounds like Zach G. thought the movie was indecent, but because it made tons of money and allowed his family to travel, he set his objections aside. At one time he tried to change people's minds about seeing it. I guess he can do it without criticism because he is rich and famous :lurk5:

Off to tuck children in.

Has it occurred to you that he was joking? That that is his type of comedy? About the parents not taking the kids, sure, but that he actually thought it was indecent? Have you head his stand up? You're really judging something you have no idea of here.

Off to watch Due Date. ;)

Wow. I guess I should tell you that I am not the kind of poster that always inserts IME, MY OPINION, I THINK, IMHO. I don't do that because if I write something here it is MY OPINION.

Your comment about *better Christian* is unnecessary and hurtful. Go back over the posts. I didn't mention Christ at all. I think it's interesting that you assume I am one.

You're telling everyone the movie is filth, that it's indecent, you're judging adults who watch the movie... I've seen you post on Christian threads. It's not that hard of a leap.

Has it occurred to you that he was joking? That that is his type of comedy? About the parents not taking the kids, sure, but that he actually thought it was indecent? Have you head his stand up? You're really judging something you have no idea of here.

Due Date was hilarious! You'll love it.

I'm guessing the preschooler found it boring. I know I sure did...

So you don't run around family parties shooting them with pretend machine guns screaming "Say hello to my little friend!"? :tongue_smilie:

Honestly...there are better things to fill their minds with, but~he's not my kid.

In our previous town they had an evening rule on R rated shows. Anyone under the age of 6 was not allowed in an R movie after 6pm.

I really, really like that. I probably couldn't watch either of them today, but I watched both Death Proof and The Devil's Rejects in the theaters when they came out. In both cases, there were parents with kindergarten-age and younger children.

So you don't run around family parties shooting them with pretend machine guns screaming "Say hello to my little friend!"? :tongue_smilie:

Honestly...there are better things to fill their minds with, but~he's not my kid.

Nope, and never had odd feelings or desires after seeing Rosemary's Baby at 10 either. Some kids/people are just more sensitive than others.

What I really don't understand is why people would waste $$ taking young kids to the theater, where they are less than entertained by movies w/o mega special effects & non-stop promos for junk food, via cartoon characters. :lol:

They just need to stick to the Disney/Pixar franchise.

I'm really starting to wonder whether people look at reviews before they go to movies, or is it just blissful ignorance helping them make the choice?

I'm incredulous at how many people got insulted over this comment.

She just wondered if people look at reviews. So what?

Ftr, I don't always look at reviews because they are too subjective. I look at the actors (if Johnny Depp is in it, I pass ;)) and try to figure out the genre, and that's it.

And The Hangover 1 was stupid.

I saw it over the weekend and I laughed so freaking hard. I loved it. When I got home, I told my teenager that she wasn't allowed to see it until she was 25. :lol: She hadn't expressed any interest but my friend's teenagers wanted to see it--she had considered it but after seeing it said no way.

Has it occurred to you that he was joking? No That that is his type of comedy? No About the parents not taking the kids, sure, but that he actually thought it was indecent? Yes Have you head his stand up? No You're really judging something you have no idea of here. I have more than an idea. I read reviews.

You mean this Due Date? *spoiler alert* Also, the word *filth* is used ;) Edited by dmmosher
Actually the word is "filthy"

Ftr, I don't always look at reviews because they are too subjective. I look at the actors (if Johnny Depp is in it, I pass ;)) and try to figure out the genre, and that's it.

:iagree::iagree:

I have walked out of a movie and requested a refund because someone had little children watching who were hiding their heads and crying. I think it was one of the Saw movies as my husband is a fan of them (I spend most of the time plugging my ears and covering my eyes as I think it is just gross). It ruins my moviegoing experience but that is my problem, not the parents. We now go to movies during the 21 and over times at the theatre pubs.

For me, I would never take my children to a movie like the Hangover and I honestly might shoot a few dirty looks toward any person who brought children into it, but I would not presume to tell them off. Their children, their choice. My 15 yo ds asked to go see it and I laughed my head off. He couldn't keep a straight face either as he knew just how likely it would be!

And yes, I plan on going to see it!

There are places to go on the internet to read about the content of the movie, which I use often to determine if we will be seeing a movie. Sounds like they are okay with what their kids see......but

I can't imagine the kids actually enjoyed it.

Edited by cat

I'm pretty sure no one is bothered by that comment alone. The whole series of posts that preceded it, however, give the one comment some extra context that is pretty offensive. Dreck--filth--how could anyone read the review and still want to see it--truly hoping viewers will change their minds and get their laughs without "guilt"--blissful ignorance...yep, too holier-than-thou for my taste. Saw the first one, still plan to see the second in spite of Focus on the Family's opinions *shrug*

My DH wanted to go see it today. It was way raunchier than the first! I would have been horribly uncomfortable if there were children in there. I won't see it again!

I agree. It was way over the top, like they were trying very hard to shock their audience more than entertain them. I looked away plenty of times through the movie, and even though it was kind of funny, I was too uncomfortable to enjoy it. However, that is my personal experience. Others may not have felt the same way as I did, and that's okay. We are all different and do not have to have the same opinions. I'm starting to be okay with what happened in the OP, not that it matters what I think. I could never expose my kids to that, but I guess they were okay with it, or they didn't know it was going to be THAT bad. I would hate to be judged by others for some of my parenting decisions. I love that I can get different perspectives here. Thank you all for sharing your opinions.

If the movie is like the review someone linked earlier, I am wondering how it has an R rating. I have seen at least one movie in my life that had a NC_17 rating and that movie was a lot tamer than this one. Wow- just wow. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I have never even heard of this movie (1st or 2nd) and was thinking that people had no right to comment on other parent's choices, however, call me judgemental, but ...:willy_nilly::eek:... come on , if the review is half accurate to this movie's contents, then it deserves an nc17 or whatever is worse then R. A monkey licking genitals!!! And from the review: "A Russian club owner offers the s@xual services of a child for $2,000." Over 100 curse words!

Of course I also agree that people in the theater to see that movie obviously find it ok for themselves and have little room to talk. But as the ticket seller I would be tempted to ask the mother if she had atleast read a review.

We went to Kung Fu Panda and the booster seats happened to be in front of The Hangover II. There was a movie person there checking tickets and IDS AGAIN, even though they were checked at the door. I'm totally shocked they were able to get them into an NC17 movie:001_huh:

ETA - It's NOT NC17?!?! So the movie theater person was only checking tickets? I could have sworn she asked people for ID!

Edited by coffeefreak

I agree. It was way over the top, like they were trying very hard to shock their audience more than entertain them. I looked away plenty of times through the movie, and even though it was kind of funny, I was too uncomfortable to enjoy it. However, that is my personal experience. Others may not have felt the same way as I did, and that's okay. We are all different and do not have to have the same opinions. I'm starting to be okay with what happened in the OP, not that it matters what I think. I could never expose my kids to that, but I guess they were okay with it, or they didn't know it was going to be THAT bad. I would hate to be judged by others for some of my parenting decisions. I love that I can get different perspectives here. Thank you all for sharing your opinions.

I think your honesty is very refreshing.

To those of you who placed me in the "holier than thou" category, you are wrong. It seems that three of the biggest sins in our society are 1) spoiling the movie experience of another person 2) calling a spade a spade and 3) labeling ANYTHING indecent.

If that movie does not showcase indecency, I don't know what does.

I did not call anyone here a name (filthy, sinful, unwise).

If it is not right to attempt to change another person's mind, we should all just start our own personal blogs (no comments allowed) and chuck the definition of "forum".

Edited by dmmosher

I'm pretty sure no one is bothered by that comment alone. The whole series of posts that preceded it, however, give the one comment some extra context that is pretty offensive. Dreck--filth--how could anyone read the review and still want to see it--truly hoping viewers will change their minds and get their laughs without "guilt"--blissful ignorance...yep, too holier-than-thou for my taste. Saw the first one, still plan to see the second in spite of Focus on the Family's opinions *shrug*

I read the preceding posts and maintain there was nothing to get offended about and I did see the first Hangover.

:blink: :ack2:

::looks around for Mrs. Mungo::

I have stayed out of the thread so far. I don't like these kind of movies because I think they are inappropriate for me. I saw the first one, dh thought it was hilarious. I, on the other hand, could barely watch Seinfeld when it was on because I would get too embarrassed for them. I was always feeling like I would commit hari kari if I got myself into a situation like that or just die of shame. So, all those sorts of comedies are very uncomfortable for me.

I would be judgy toward someone who took a child to see it. I don't judge adults who like that sort of thing, it's just not for me.

All of this to say, the back and forth debate really drown out the many inappropriate apostrophes. ;)

My DH wanted to go see it today. It was way raunchier than the first! I would have been horribly uncomfortable if there were children in there. I won't see it again!

I appreciate your honesty. If you care to share why you believe children should not be exposed to raunchiness I would like to listen. What specifically makes the presence of children "uncomfortable" when watching these things in a theater?

Is it because topics like erections, prostitution, drunkenness, underage drinking, illegal drugs, lying, adultery, lewdness etc. should not be mentioned in front of a child? Or perhaps a child should not see adults laughing about such things? I think a PP joked (maybe wasn't joking) about her child not seeing content like that until she is 25. How do parents choose the age for their children to see such things as in The Hangover movies? Are there any indecent things that should not receive laughter and acceptance? If we laugh at something doesn't that mean we think it is funny and acceptable? I appreciate honest answers (from anyone) to these kinds of questions.

This is what I keep thinking about: if someone posted on the general forum about (pick a scene from the movie) and vented about something similar happening to them in real life, what would happen? For example, someone took my 16 yo son out drinking and got him drunk! My friend sleeps with prostitutes! I saw someone put a water bottle in a man's pants on the bus! I think there would be lots of posts filled with indignation. Advice. Solicited opinions. Would ANYONE crack a joke about it or say how funny that situation must be? So why are those things funny just because they are in a movie (called a comedy)?

Once I see something, I can't unsee it. That's a huge reason I don't go.

Edited by dmmosher