Menu

Junie B Jones books?

I know that there's a lot of books in this series...and I was wondering about them. I don't care for books where the child is snotty or mean. Are these books like this? Is there a lot of name calling?

Just curious whether this would be something to read to DD7 and DD4 or not.

It's also written in a "kindergarten dialect", and like any book written in dialect, that makes it harder to read, which makes the series a poor choice for a child just making the jump to chapter books. My daughter didn't make it through even one because "Junie B doesn't talk right!".

We liked Junie B. She reminded me of Ramona, especially when she started kindergarten. Junie B. is sassy, but my daughter thought she was hilarious. She's 11 now & the books never had an ill effect on her, but they were excellent in giving her a chance at reading chapter books that she found funny & could read independently. I'd say if sassy attitudes are something you want to steer clear of, I'd skip Junie B.

Susan

It's also written in a "kindergarten dialect", and like any book written in dialect, that makes it harder to read, which makes the series a poor choice for a child just making the jump to chapter books. My daughter didn't make it through even one because "Junie B doesn't talk right!".

:iagree:This is the main reason my kids never read them. I believe kids should be reading books with proper English, especially when they are just learning to read.

We loved them back in the day. We listened to them on tape in the car and we'd laugh and laugh :lol:. We still have little code words that come from the Junie B. books.

My kids knew the difference between a smart-mouth fictional character and real life. I don't /didn't see the problem with letting them hear stories about kids who are less than perfect.

We loved them back in the day. We listened to them on tape in the car and we'd laugh and laugh :lol:. We still have little code words that come from the Junie B. books.

My kids knew the difference between a smart-mouth fictional character and real life. I don't /didn't see the problem with letting them hear stories about kids who are less than perfect.

ITA! My first dd and I would laugh and laugh, and Junie B. was never a negative influence, as dd #1's manners are always commented on. We also discussed Junie B.'s inappropriate grammar--it didn't affect my dd's reading or language development.

With dd#2, I quickly realized that Junie B. might perhaps serve as inspiration rather than a lesson on what not to do--and gave them all away.

I think like everything else, it depends on the kid. Personally I think Junie B. has a good heart and she cracks me up, as does her description of the adult reactions to her shenanigans.

:iagree: Junie B's bad grammar was hilarious. It was very out of place from what my dd was used to hearing so she obviously knew it wasn't a proper way to speak. She loved that series so much, she has refused to give the books away and they are in our attic, waiting for grandchildren.

The choppy sentence writing isn't any different from other beginning books. The Frog and Toad series and even Dr. Seuss come to mind.

I didn't like Junie B and I think I have a pretty high tolerance for kid attitude. I get a little annoyed with perfect prissy characters too. I don't like Magic Treehouse books either. While I don't like Junie B., I love Ivy and Bean. Have you looked at those? The characters still have a little spunk and attitude but it doesn't feel quite so mean and they are funny. My DS is 9 and an advanced reader and even he likes to read Ivy and Bean to his little sisters.

I didn't read the books aloud, or let my girls read them as they were learning to read, BUT we love to listen to them on CD in the car. The actress (Lana Quintal?) is perfect as Junie B.

Jennifer

It is and she is! I think we (the grownups) laughed harder than the kids did.

But they would be an absolute bear for me to read (not a fan of dialect) and I can totally see where others would not find them to their liking.

we didn't like them.

Junie is pretty mouthy IMHO.

My kids were horrified at some of the things she said.

:iagree: twaddle and a bad example for my very impressionable ADHDer who doesn't need any help in the colorful language and creative mischief dept. .

Thanks for all the replies! I do think we'll skip this series. My daughters are the type to hear sassing or a mean word and say "ooooooh, she's not supposed to say that!" So they'll be forever asking why Junie is saying mean things when it is wrong.

My DD & I are laughing about our fav Junie B memories.

Then DD pointed out that every character has flaws; that's what makes them human.

She also said that Laura from LHotP never wanted to wear her bonnet and she was so bad once that her Pa whipped her.

(I still remember that scene. It makes me feel pukey to this day.)

You might like the Gooney Bird Greene books instead. They're a great read-aloud and we all laughed our way through them.

Dd is on a JBJ jag. Since it's her free reading, I let it go, but I'm not very strict about media. JBJ is very funny and she has a good heart under her sass.

ITA! My first dd and I would laugh and laugh, and Junie B. was never a negative influence, as dd #1's manners are always commented on. We also discussed Junie B.'s inappropriate grammar--it didn't affect my dd's reading or language development.

With dd#2, I quickly realized that Junie B. might perhaps serve as inspiration rather than a lesson on what not to do--and gave them all away.

I think like everything else, it depends on the kid. Personally I think Junie B. has a good heart and she cracks me up, as does her description of the adult reactions to her shenanigans.

I think for my dd7, Junie B might serve (who am I kidding? WOULD serve) as an inspiration. Dd5 would probably understand not to act that way (she sees her older sister get in trouble enough that she's already behaving better...and this is exactly the way it was with my older sister and myself).

We read all the JB books after my d/d found that one of her good friends was reading them. We had a lot of laughs, and my d/d had no difficulty understanding that JB was a crazy, made-up, silly little girl.

I could not stand the grammar, but it gave my d/d an opportunity to point out the errors to me, which she loved.

• 2 weeks later...