Menu

We need opinions!!

My son has agreed to read each comment to hear what you think about what he did in the store today. I will write it out in as fair of a statement as I can.

His brother had a beef stick/slim jim and wanted it opened (it had been purchased already). I had gone into another area and asked them to wait for me. Another son came up to me, saying that his brother had his pocket knife out and was cutting the beef stick into pieces. (he didn't really see it correctly)

I arrived on scene and it was put away in his pocket. I asked him if he had taken his pocket knife out and that it was inappropriate to do that out in public. (He is often times out at the boat/docks with his dad and he does use it regularly, but only at the boat.) A customer then turned to me and said that he took it out, cut open the beef stick, then waved the knife around, calling out, "Does anyone here have a napkin to clean this with?"

I made him hand over the pocket knife, telling him that this was inappropriate behavior. I don't know if he really understands why. I don't know what to say other than it's just not proper public behavior.

As I mentioned, he agrees to read what you all will share with him.... or me, for that matter.

Thanks so much!

I personally don't think that there is anything wrong with using a pocket knife discretely.

However, waving it around and drawing attention to it is inappropriate.

Your son also has to understand that many people do have a problem with others having a knife in a public place.

I personally don't think that there is anything wrong with using a pocket knife discretely.

Your son also has to understand that many people do have a problem with others having a knife in a public place.

:iagree:

I don't have a problem with his usage of the knife. I would have a problem with him waving it around, even if he was asking if anyone had a knife. Punishment? Just a "don't do that again".

Also, I would suggest he think it through and make sure he has something to clean the knife with before he uses it. But it wouldn't be a big deal to me.

Using the knife to cut open the wrapper would be fine by me. However, I tend to get nervous when I see someone waving a knife around. Many people would be focusing on the action rather than the words coming out of his mouth, thereby seeing it as a threat.

I think how you handled it was fine. It is perfectly ok to have a pocket knife and use it... in most situations. In this situation, however, it might have been better to bite it in pieces or try to break/twist it into pieces and keep the knife hidden.

I am hesitant to believe what the perfect stranger said 100%. He might have simply held it up a bit and asked if anyone had anything to clean it with, not waved it around high in the air. However, many MANY people are very against guns and knives, even if they're used responsibly and freak out just seeing them.

I think your son used it responsibly, but neither you nor him want any negative attention focused on your family or wrong conclusions being drawn about his motives.

It would depend on his tone and attitude when he was "waving" it around. Was he just holding it and asking for a napkin to clean it off, which is actually a good thing to do before folding it back up. Was he brandishing it like a sword? Was his tone of voice polite and simply asking a question? Or was he exaggerating his voice to sound like he was being threatening?

You don't know who that stranger was and how that person interpreted the situation. Did any of your other children witness the event and perhaps shed some light on it?

If he was using the knife responsibly, including wanting to clean it, I would say the situation was appropriate. If he was waving the knife around in a dangerous manner, I would say that was inappropiate.

If he's been told to never pull out his knife unless he is at the boat and/or with his dad, then he made a mistake by using it even if it was well-intentioned. His sibling could have waited for you before he ate that snack.

I wonder why he couldn't have waited until he got in the car. It seems that it would have been safer to do it sitting down (and maybe there would have been a sanitizing wipe or Purell in there to clean the knife before cutting food. : )

Also, as a customer who did not know your son, I would have been nervous to have my kids around a young person with an open knife. While your son is probably very responsible and has been taught how to use a knife safely, other people wouldn't have known that.

I think how you handled it was fine. It is perfectly ok to have a pocket knife and use it... in most situations. In this situation, however, it might have been better to bite it in pieces or try to break/twist it into pieces and keep the knife hidden.

I am hesitant to believe what the perfect stranger said 100%. He might have simply held it up a bit and asked if anyone had anything to clean it with, not waved it around high in the air. However, many MANY people are very against guns and knives, even if they're used responsibly and freak out just seeing them.

I think your son used it responsibly, but neither you nor him want any negative attention focused on your family or wrong conclusions being drawn about his motives.

I don't know that I would take what a stranger says at face value. They may exaggerate just because they disapprove of him having a knife at all.

As other posters have said I would use as a moment to teach discretion but it doesn't sound like a punishment is warranted.

13 years old.

Hmmm. Borderline, but still young kid. I would cut him slack because at 13 they don't have enough life expereince to know certain things are going to freak people out. At 13, they are still borderline young.

Note to BMW son: Don't do that again! Seriously. :) At 13, you still look like a little kid, but soon you will not. People will get nervous and call the cops. I am *sure* you meant no harm. But if you do that when you have facial hair /no longer look like a little kid, you are inviting trouble. However, I don't think an older kid would do this, so I am not worried. Just don't do it again! :)

BUT! Don't do this again.

Edited by LibraryLover

13 years old, cover your face and wait a couple of years. :D You could keep the knife for a while or just threaten him that if ever doesn't use his brain again with the knife it's gone for a long time. At our house we try to limit the amount of pocket knives one needs to carry. lol

I agree with the others in that using the knife wasn't inappropriate, however *waving* it around was.

However, the bigger issue for me as a parent would be that you asked him to wait for you, and he did not. He disobeyed you. It would be *this* that delayed my child from enjoying the Slim Jim (I'd take it away), not so much the using of the knife.

:iagree: Yep. Dear boy, discretion is the better part of valor. (Henry IV ;) )

I don't know that I would take what a stranger says at face value. They may exaggerate just because they disapprove of him having a knife at all.

As other posters have said I would use as a moment to teach discretion but it doesn't sound like a punishment is warranted.

Edited by LibraryLover

Hmmm. Borderline, but still young kid. I would cut him slack because at 13 they don't have enough life expereince to know certain things are going to freak people out. At 13, they are still borderline young.

Note to BMW son: Don't do that again! Seriously. :) At 13, you still look like a little kid, but soon you will not. People will get nervous and call the cops. I am *sure* you meant no harm. But if you do that when you have facial hair /no longer look like a little kid, you are inviting trouble. However, I don't think an older kid would do this, so I am not worried. Just don't do it again! :)

BUT! Don't do this again.

Only, at 13 my ds looked like a 17 yo to most people. He's been 14 almost 2 months now and people think it is 17 minimum. He still looks like a baby to me.:001_smile:

Only, at 13 my ds looked like a 17 yo to most people. He's been 14 almost 2 months now and people think it is 17 minimum. He still looks like a baby to me.:001_smile:

I hear that!

PS. BMW son-- When we get upset, we are really saying, "I am scared." Your Mom is not trying to be mean, she is trying to say that she cares for you and doesn't want any harm to come to you. If somebody (police, or other frightened person) takes your innocent actions the wrong way (and if you look like an adult), they might want to 'take you down'. Your mother loves you and wants you to be safe. She wants the folks around you to see the good and decent person she knows.

Moms worry.

That's simply what we do. You can never fight a mama who wants her son to be safe, and to be seen by others as the wonderful boy she sees. That's a mama. I always tell my kids that they got to suck up my pride. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

Personally, I don't think it is appropriate to bring out a pocket knife in a store to cut something open, even if it is something already owned. I would be concerned that people, even the store management might think my child to be not the nice sort. Someone to keep an eye on. Depending on the type of store, he might be thought a thief.

Some people completely freak out when they see a child/young adult with a knife and make wrong assumptions. My own boys own and use pocket knives at home or camping, but I don't allow them to bring them to the stores or city parks.

I don't have a problem with his usage of the knife. I would have a problem with him waving it around, even if he was asking if anyone had a knife. Punishment? Just a "don't do that again".

:iagree: My son is 13. I would probably explain that people can't read his mind, they don't know his intentions. Those not in earshot might have only seen a kid* waving a knife.

It's not nice to scare people in public, a waving knife could do that. Don't do it again.

*my son barely looks like a kid, he sounds like a man.

I would tell him not to wave the knife around, and to clean it by swiping it on his jeans. Otherwise, wait until he gets home.

Around here, I've seen a few people carrying guns in holsters on their belts (not police), so a pocket knife would not be a big deal. Waving it around, though -- not good, according to what my sons learned in Boy Scouts.

Sometimes people also need to grow up. A pocket knife is handy tool. I don't think it's at all wrong to use one in public.

While this is true, some of those people that freak out about using knives are law makers. My husband & I are martial artists, and we like to know something about the laws that affect our weapons. There are some ridiculous laws on the books.

This might be a good time to have an assignment on finding out about what your state's knife laws are. Some states are *extremely* strict on how long the blades can be; in some places they are so restricted that the size knife that's legal to carry is hardly useful as a pocket knife anymore. I suggest calling the state attorney general's office, and also checking in with the police department: the difference in answers I've received when speaking to these two different entities has been marked. Also, be aware that the style of knife can make a difference in the legality: butterfly knives, I believe, are generally illegal, while the folding pocket knives tend to fall into a different category.

Another consideration, when thinking about the legality of the whole thing is that if this young man *appears* older than he is, he may or may not be dealt with as a minor. They try kids as adults all the time, and if someone is describing, to the police, the action as "waving the knife around" it could be seen as threatening... and police tend to deal harshly with "threatening."

It sucks to have to think about things in this way, but that's the legal climate we live in. The United States' governments have become very hostile to weapons of all types. Even pocket knives.

I don't buy that using a pocket knife with discretion is an issue.

It sucks to have to think about things in this way, but that's the legal climate we live in. The United States' governments have become very hostile to weapons of all types. Even pocket knives.

Edited by LibraryLover

Around here, I've seen a few people carrying guns in holsters on their belts (not police), so a pocket knife would not be a big deal. Waving it around, though -- not good, according to what my sons learned in Boy Scouts.

This is soo encouraging! I was just reading the other day about some Pennsylvania police that went nuts on a man who was lawfully open carrying. The guy had a recorder of some sort, and the incident is on youtube. It's disturbing (and the police used vile language), but it's something to think about when you have a weapon of any sort. If folks can actually do open carry where you are, well, I find that tremendously encouraging to hear. We've been noting a lot of very police-state type news this week, and it's good to hear that Rights are still respected in some parts of the Union.

I don't buy that using a pocket knife with discretion is an issue. Sorry.

When we moved to the state we live in, I called the local police department to find out about the local laws - I believe that I was asking about my pocket knife, which has an approx. 3' blade. The officer told me that all blades are illegal to carry all the time - which, the attorney general's office informed me is simply false. The officer was hostile at me for merely asking the question. I was glad that I called anonymously!

Using a pocket knife with discretion shouldn't be an issue. But it can be. And, in my experience, police can't be trusted to know the law. Those who choose to carry (I do) should be aware of that.

Honestly in today's world, other than on the boat, or camping, or on your own property, I think the knife should be kept out of sight.

This may not be the popular opinion, but in my way of thinking there isn't any reason to give people any opportunity to even wonder why a teenager has a knife. Someone who didn't see him cutting open the Slim Jim may catch him waving the knife around in the air and think, even for a second, that he has other intentions. It obviously bothered the customer, or they wouldn't have said anything to you. ;)

Well, my ds would have waited until we were out of the store before eating it, regardless of whether it was paid for or not. As far as the knife use, ds may use his knife at home or in the woods, while fishing, etc. but not in a store or other public place. Here in northern NJ, someone probably would have called the police if he had it out in a store.:tongue_smilie:

This is soo encouraging!

Well, having lived in Boston for 22 years, it bothers me when people open carry unless I know them. I have been indoctrinated thoroughly, and didn't realize it until I moved here.

It's so weird, because when I lived in Georgia 24 years ago, every guy I knew had guns in their cars (under the front seat) and in their houses, and behind their front doors, and carried concealed, and that was normal to me. Guns were for self-protection, hunting, and target shooting.

In Mass, you have to get permission from your local police chief before you can own a gun, have a special id card, can't carry it anywhere (in the trunk of your car) without a separate permit, and so forth. There are so many rules about every little thing to do with guns that it is too much trouble to own one. I met one person who owned a gun the entire time I lived there, and he was a hunter who told me about that like it was a secret vice.

Here, everyone (except us) seems to own a gun. I hear gunfire a lot because people out in the country where we live shoot guns. I suspect that is why I have seen only 3 squirrels since I moved here.

Edited by RoughCollie

It sounds like he was being responsible with it.

Using a pocket knife is not something I'd freak out about, but I wasn't there to see what kind of "waving" was happening. Asking for help is fine, but approaching strangers with an unsheathed knife is asking for trouble.

Agreeing with previous posters - He should have waited for you simply because you asked him to. THAT is really the big issue here.

I was born here, and have lived in the Boston area most of my life. People here do have pocket knives and they do use them for various things... like slicing duck tape for college dorm needs, or cutting apples.... Not a big deal. ;)

A 13 year old with a pocket knife...people...lol ...can we get any sort of perspective here?

Well, having lived in Boston for 22 years, it bothers me when people open carry unless I know them. I have been indoctrinated thoroughly, and didn't realize it until I moved here.

Edited by LibraryLover

You didn't say how old this son is, but I'm guessing he's at least 11. That would make a difference in some people's minds.

If he was subject to rules such as "you can only use the knife when with Dad or at the boat", then punishment is in order.

Otherwise, I find it completely acceptable to use a pocket knife to open a package, even by an 11 year old in public.

If he was wearing jeans he could have swiped the pocket knife on his jeans without cutting himself. That way he gets the greasy residue off his knife. Otherwise, he should have just put the knife back in his pocket to clean at home.

The biggest mistake in my mind, with the information given, is "waving" it around and asking for a napkin to clean it. That could be taken in the wrong way.

It sounds like your family needs to clarify the ground rules here.

My Dad and my brother usually would carry a pocket knife and I agree it is a useful tool. Even my mom had a little pocket knife she would use. It is easy for a 13 or younger to learn to use them safely.

If I were the stranger standing there, seeing an 13 year old in a store or public place without a parent using a knife would make me nervous. Especially if the 13 year old was with a younger child - as an adult I would feel adults would have to step in if a younger child was in a situation that wasn't safe. I would be concerned whether the 13 year old knew what they were doing. If they used it simply and put it away, then I'd feel better. If they waived the knife around, that would make me suspect that they were wanted to show off that they had a knife. Showing off with a knife would make me think, that the 13 year old could be inexperience or using a knife was new for him. I'm just trying to explain what I would feel, I might not have showed any reaction to the situation or would not have said anything to the 13 year old or his mother.

When I was in college, there was a person who was waiving a gun out a dorm window. They were within sight of the windows of a packed dorm dining room It turned out that was an unloaded BB gun, but the people who ran from the tables next to the windows didn't know that. Using a pocket knife is fine. Waiving around anything that could be perceived as a weapon is not a good idea.

Edited by OrganicAnn

I was born here, and have lived in the Boston area most of my life. People here do have pocket knives and they do use them for various things... like slicing duck tape for college dorm needs, or cutting apples.... Not a big deal. ;)

A 13 year old with a pocket knife...people...lol ...can we get any sort of perspective here?

I agree to a certain extent. And yet.... In some cities there are gangs of 7, 8 & 9 year olds that carry knives and know how to use them, and have. It depends where people are from whether they think it's funny or not.

We went on a Mission trip to Fiji. The big gift given at age 6 is the child's first machete. By then they've been using knives and blades of different kinds and have no problem using the machetes properly. We were sitting in church and the little kids were coloring with colored pencils. When the pencils would get dull, the parents would pull out razor blades and hand them to their little 4 and 5 year olds, who would use them with no problem and hand them back. My middle guy, who was 11, wanted to do, or try, everything those kids did (run everywhere barefoot, no shirt, climb palm trees, open coconuts with a machete, etc. :001_huh:), so when his pencil dulled one of the kids handed him a razor blade. He got little cuts on his fingers.

This boy is used to using a knife, and he and his parents know it's not a problem. But others don't know that, so they could have had a problem.

I agree with the knife safety class. I think that's a good solution! It'll remind him of proper use, not to whip it out in public, and he can help the youngers or other kids learn the "rules" too!

I also agree with the thought that you'd asked him to wait and he didn't. So he may need a brush-up on obedience. I'd like to hear what HE says he did with the knife. Does he agree that he waved it around as the other person said?

Edited by Brindee

It didn't sound like the OP's boy was with a gang. If he was, that would be bad.
No, I was meaning that some places have that, so if someone is from an area like that, they may "freak" more than someone who hasn't heard of or dealt with that kind of thing.

To me it depends on the direction of the blade. (This is what I was taught by my father at least....)

If the blade was pointed down, away from people,, within 12 inches or so from the body, and the shaft securely in the hand, it was fine.

If the blade was pointed outward, in motion, more than 12ish inches from the body, and directed towards people, it was inappropriate, rude and dangerous. In this position (if not in use), it is a weapon, not a tool.

I would instruct my child to use what they had handy in the future to wipe the blade. If they wanted a napkin to use, they should have procured it prior to cutting the meat. Part of using a tool/weapon, is maintaining your safety and that of those around you. Proper maintenance of a tool/weapon is essential in the respect of ownership and use of the tool/weapon. Knowing how he was going to clean it, is part of that respect.

I wouldn't 'punish' a child for this behavior, but re-education in the proper handling and respect of the tool/weapon is definitely in order.

If you live in an area where tools like this are regularly used, it's nothing out of the ordinary. In our area. I doubt anyone would turn their head around here if someone had a knife, in fact you should have a knife. Okay, waving it around and asking for a napkin was perhaps not quite kosher - next time wipe it on your pants or go to the bathroom where they should have toilet paper...hide it a little though lest someone screams about a guy in the john with a knife...

No, I was meaning that some places have that, so if someone is from an area like that, they may "freak" more than someone who hasn't heard of or dealt with that kind of thing.

I live near where there is gang activity, but given the OP's particular/described situation, I would not think anyone would consider what happened gang activity.

Unless we are talking Florida or Germany. :) If the OP lives in FL, mea culpa.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=germany%20or%20florida

I see nothing wrong with your son's behavior. But why would he expect someone in a store to have a napkin for cleaning blade?

I live in a large high-crime-rate city; the pocket knife I carry is not intended to ever be used for personal protection, only for convenience. I carry a pocket knife in my purse for cutting apples, tags, etc. It is only way it won't be lost or reappropriated by other family members.

Edited by annandatje

My father has a pocket knife on him at all times. But you never ever wave it around or show it off in any way. You can be proud and be discreet. ;)

I didn't want to give more information to sway any opinions...

We live in an area where blades are carried... for protection. We live in an area where blades are used to cut people. We also live in an area where there is a lot of boating, too! My son isn't involved in a gang, but he knows people who are or who will be...

I told the boys to wait for me while I stepped into another area... I expected them to stand with the cart and wait for me, then to leave the store. I knew that the youngest boy had the beef stick in his hand. I didn't know my other son had his knife with him. I don't know why he would have it to go to the store. I find that odd... except that it gives him a feeling of "growing up" and maturity. He is proud of that knife. A boat captain recently bought it for him.

I don't think he held the knife up high... as in above his head... I believe it was more of a shoulder area, turning to other adults... asking for a napkin. I don't know why he would ask them... except that he has adhd and sometimes doesn't think things through. In that moment, all he knew was that he wanted to wipe his blade.

My belief is that now he is no longer allowed to carry a blade out in public... it should be strictly for boating or out with his dad and grandfather. If he violates that in the future, he will have a bigger consequence for disobeying. He isn't showing, in my opinion, good judgement. I don't find his behavior appropriate. (It's just fine with me... it IS appropriate to use a knife to open something... but not out in pubic in the store... not without adults... imo) To me, it's a sign that he isn't mature enough to have the knife in possession while out in public.

I will also look up some knife handling safety class... great recommendation. I know he got that years ago in boy scouts. Time to refresh!

My belief is that now he is no longer allowed to carry a blade out in public... it should be strictly for boating or out with his dad and grandfather. If he violates that in the future, he will have a bigger consequence for disobeying. He isn't showing, in my opinion, good judgement. I don't find his behavior appropriate. (It's just fine with me... it IS appropriate to use a knife to open something... but not out in pubic in the store... not without adults... imo) To me, it's a sign that he isn't mature enough to have the knife in possession while out in public.

I will also look up some knife handling safety class... great recommendation. I know he got that years ago in boy scouts. Time to refresh!

:iagree: I think is is completely appropriate.

I think your decision seems totally appropriate. I wouldn't have a problem seeing him use the knife for that purpose, but many people would. I live in a state where concealed carry is legal, and in our suburban area ALL public places have big signs that say NO WEAPONS. Around here law enforcement might consider that a weapon. It sounds like with the knife activity in your area, that might be a consideration. Better safe than sorry.

I don't know why he would ask them... except that he has adhd and sometimes doesn't think things through. In that moment, all he knew was that he wanted to wipe his blade.

I agree 100% with your second paragraph above. I would have the same restrictions. Through his behavior, he is telling you that he is not yet quite mature enough to handle carrying a pocket knife with him at all times.

If I saw a kid cutting open a food item in a store and then holding a knife and asking for a napkin, many things would go through my mind, none of them good. I'm sure your son meant no harm, but his actions were not appropriate for a public place.