Menu

Which would you choose??

If you had a bunch of kids which would you choose?  

1. 1. If you had a bunch of kids which would you choose?

• big house, no yard
    • small house, big yard

Is there a park nearby the large home?

Do you live in an area where it is warm most of the time?

How small is "small" for the small house?

How many kids are a "bunch"? Will there be only 2 to a bedroom, or more?

Personally, I like a big yard. But I don't like being cramped in the house.

Are going to continue looking or is it just a toss up between these two?

Where do you live? (How many months out of the year can you use the yard?)

How many sq. ft?

How many kids?

How many bedrooms?

I need more info!

:iagree:

Sorry, too vague. I can't reply. All I can say is, if dd4 and dd12 had to share either a yard or a bedroom..... neither would work. LOL

Yes, I need more details. Generally, I'd choose the larger yard, BUT if it's large enough for sitting outside, maybe having a space for a container garden, and is private, I might choose the larger house.

Is this your "forever home" (as far as you know)? Do you want to take care of a large yard or a large house in your retirement? Will your house needs be diminishing fairly soon as kids go off to college or do you want to keep a larger house for your kids to come home, grandkids, etc.?

Houses are in PA. Haven't lived there, so can't answer about how many good months outside.

House is <1000sq ft. The yard is big enough for a barn and fenced pasture for goats and chickens, possibly 1 horse.

Each room would have 2-3 in it, but they are actic rooms and there is only room for beds and maybe a dresser. No extra rooms. Just the bare minimums. Kitchen, living room, and eating all one big room. It does have 2 full baths.

Not a forever house.

The larger house has a basement, with a 1 car garage, absolutely no yard, but big bedrooms 4bed/2.5bath, formal dining room, big Eat In kitchen, den, living room, a little over 2000 sq. ft.

hopefully that gives enough info.

Edited by lmkzbcb

i just made that choice. I even had to give up my dreams of a homeschool room. But to get the homeschool room, I would have been locked into a subdivision surrounded by houses. It did have a nice wooded area off the back. Instead, I chose the smaller house on 3.5acres in an older neighborhood with nothing but park land/forest behind us for miles. And the house is set far back from the road so I feel isolated but I'm only 5min from my grocery store!

Just saw your update. HHmm. We left 1200sq.ft. (3 kids) b/c I needed space to get away from the kids. Our choice was between 2400sq.ft and almost 3000 sq.ft. We chose the 2400sq.ft w/ no HS room. We are finishing the basement to give us the extra bedroom that is needed for when we have house guests.

I think you have to consider if being in 1000sq.ft. will drive you insane. My kids are loud. I'm very sensitive to noise. Once the basement is finished, they can play down there and I can go upstairs and have some quiet time to regroup. I'm MUCH less stressed here b/c I can find that space.

After reading your post, I'd have to go w/ the larger house w/ no yard but I had already voted for the smaller house, not knowing how small it was. However, some folks are entirely happy in 1000 sq.ft! You have to decide if you are one of those. I'm very sensitive to noise and really wanted my own space that was quiet.

Also, I had a terrible time sleeping in our other house due to traffic and road noise. That was a large part of my decision. It's so quiet here, I can hear the owls at night. What a sweet way to fall asleep.

Edited by Capt_Uhura

One of the reasons we bought our current home was because of the large backyard. The house is about 1400 sq. ft. and is large enough for our family of 3.

When I was growing up our family of 7 lived in 1400 square feet with room to spare!

Houses are in PA. Haven't lived there, so can't answer about how many good months outside.

House is <1000sq ft. The yard is big enough for a barn and fenced pasture for goats and chickens, possibly 1 horse.

Each room would have 2-3 in it, but they are actic rooms and there is only room for beds and maybe a dresser. No extra rooms. Just the bare minimums. Kitchen, living room, and eating all one big room. It does have 2 full baths.

Not a forever house.

The larger house has a basement, with a 1 car garage, absolutely no yard, but big bedrooms 4bed/2.5bath, formal dining room, big Eat In kitchen, den, living room, a little over 2000 sq. ft.

hopefully that gives enough info.

Big yard for sure then.

I would pick the larger house... :) Seems like it'll be a small enough season outside, that you can walk each day... outside... to get exercise... but for us, during the cold... it's hard to get my kids out to play... SO, that means we're cramped inside. The garage would be used for play type things...

:)

I would go with a big house/small yard.

I currently have a big house/big yard and we hardly use the yard. When the kids were very little they loved running around in the yard, but now they just don't want to. Even with a wooden play set, pool, and fire pit. The fire pit gets used often in nice weather but that is it. The pool has a huge hole and we aren't bothering fixing it as the last two summers the kids used it maybe 6 times all summer each. So not worth the $$ to fix.

The only one who uses the yard is our big dog :tongue_smilie:. Also no one wants to do the lawn care.

And we are still cramped in the house (about 2000sq ft). But we currently have 9 people living here. When we move, only 6 of us are going.

We are moving in June and I am hoping to rent a 4 bedroom with 2 baths.. the yard doesn't matter.

Edited by AnitaMcC

I don't enjoy yard work. At all. Gardening? Not my thing. So *I* would choose the big house with the small yard. But I am out-voted by husband and daughter. :) My dream would be to move into a town home with a little patio, but within walking distance of a nice big park (a park which someone else mows, waters, and takes care of!).

We had this choice. We chose neither. Instead, we moved further out of town where we could get BOTH a fabulous house and yard. It's a pain to be out of town, but I keep remembering our choices in town, which were the two extremes you describe, and I still think it was the right decision.

In this situation, where small is <1000sq ft, I'd choose the larger home. However, I would keep looking since I think you could probably find a more balanced property for your needs. My answer would change if the small house has usable basement space not being counted.

Bigger house! Having lived in PA, it is too cold and wet to play outside all day for a large part of the year. A bigger house with access to a nice park would be fine for me. When we lived there, we had a very large yard but went to the park more than we just played in our own yard.

We had a small house, big enough yard (for the little ones we had at the time) in a warm climate. We lived on a dead-end, no-traffic street and the kids lived outside most of the time. I still felt cramped and grumpy. There just wasn't enough space for the 7 of us.

We moved to a big house with a small yard and I LOVE, LOVE the space. We are now in a cold climate. I know little ones like to go outside no matter what. But the older ones are getting to where they do not. They'd rather be inside, as would I. So we are inside a lot more because of the climate and we are all much happier. We just like having some space to ourself. And now there are 9 of us. I do wish we had more of a yard. Our street now is busy and so the front yard is out of the question because of the little ones. But I really enjoy the bigger house.

Not sure what you mean by "bunch" of kids but we have four right now. We have a small house and a small yard...my dream is to have a yard! The kids can be outside more. We have friends with seven kids and three bedrooms...their kids ate outside ALL day long except for school time.

Big yard is definitely a must, if you have someone to mow it!:D

I bowed to those with PA experience who said it's more common to be inside than outside.

I have a very small yard and wish it was bigger. So, we just go to the park a LOT. Or walk/ride bikes around the neighborhood.

Having 2-3 kids per room, no extra space, stuck inside in the winter......yowzers.....

ETA: Ideally, I agree with the others who say to keep looking. Seems like you've found the two extremes.

It depends. How small is small? We were in a 750sq ft house with 4dc. I'd choose big house/small yard over that situation. We've also been in 1400sq ft with 4dc. That would be fine if that's your idea of small.

It would also depend on what kind of climate we were in. A small house can be really claustrophobic in long lasting bad weather. But if it's nice a lot of the time, and the kids are always outside anyway, then the big yard would be more important.