Menu

Amazon won't hire homeschoolers?

Recently a friend had her son apply for a warehouse position in an Amazon distribution center. He has a great work history, is an Eagle Scout, great college grades...you get the idea. Amazon refuses to hire him only on the grounds that he is homeschooled. They said they will not hire anyone who has not been issued a state certified diploma.

Has anyone else heard of this?:confused:

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who runs an amazon warehouse, want me to ask him? I can send him a message on facebook.

eta: I sent him a message on facebook. He's not a compulsive facebooker though, it may take a day or two for him to get back to me. I'll update if/when he does.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I looked at their requirements for "customer service representative" and it said "certified diploma or equivalent (10 + 2) or Fresh Graduate." I would argue that a homeschool diploma is equivalent and that college classes add additional proof of achievement.

Sounds like something is getting lost in translation or that the HR person is unclear on homeschooling.

I looked at the jobs section of Amazon and all it said for the job I found that didn't require a college/vo tech degree was "Completed HS Diploma or GED".

:iagree:

I looked too and found nothing to support the idea that they will not hire homeschoolers.

I have a friend who was homeschooled and is currently interning there. She does have a state diploma, though (she did her last 2 years of high school at the community college), so that may not totally be relevant.

I just spoke to the HR person at our distribution center to confirm the details and they said "it must be a state issued diploma or GED" I asked for it in writing and she said she would email it to me. I told her that in our area hs are considered private schools but that didn't seem to matter. She was very adamant. I am trying to contact the corporate office in Settle.

great college grades...

It is an employer's market, and I hear their profits are down.

I work for a "big institution", and making any kind of exception is 1) a big hassle, as the person is but a cog and can't make any real decision for an exception, but must go up the food chain and why would they want to do that if they know the bigger fish they have to go to first is an angry, busy person who will get revenge for this annoyance and 2) a ripe spot for cheaters to wiggle in.

Once someone is in college, however, it is odd to think about the rest. How do they think he got there?

Did you ask the question about private schools (even select private schools) not having a state issued diploma?

No I didn't know that private schools did not have what they are referring to as "certified state issued diplomas."

I did call HQ and asked to speak to HR. The woman I spoke to said they could not comment on the hire practices but transferred me over to legal and I left a voice mail. I thought that was strange because I was just asking for clarification.

My friend called HSLDA and they were aware of the issue with Amazon. I guess it has happened in the past. They said they would offer assistance but don't expect much because they are a private company.

I find it hard to believe that Amazon would take that stance. I also find it strange that no one in this very small and vocal community hasn't heard about it before. If I have written proof from someone higher up than a local office stating that is their policy I won't shop there anymore but right now I am just trying to find out what is the actual policy.

I work for a "big institution", and making any kind of exception is 1) a big hassle, as the person is but a cog and can't make any real decision for an exception, but must go up the food chain and why would they want to do that if they know the bigger fish they have to go to first is an angry, busy person who will get revenge for this annoyance and 2) a ripe spot for cheaters to wiggle in.

Once someone is in college, however, it is odd to think about the rest. How do they think he got there?

He did duel enrollment for his senior year. I think his mom said he took 5 classes. He has a scholarship to a local college that is respectable and will start in the fall. He just officially graduated last week.

I just wonder if this is really their policy or if that is how it is being interpreted down the line?

good point!

eta: Don't they realize they run the risk of offending a group that buys a lot of books?!

He did duel enrollment for his senior year. I think his mom said he took 5 classes. He has a scholarship to a local college that is respectable and will start in the fall. He just officially graduated last week.

I just wonder if this is really their policy or if that is how it is being interpreted down the line?

A GED would be a snap for the kid, I'm sure. I'd try with a copy of college grades and SAT scores. Hat in hand. Smile purdy. Worth a try.

No I didn't know that private schools did not have what they are referring to as "certified state issued diplomas."

I did call HQ and asked to speak to HR. The woman I spoke to said they could not comment on the hire practices but transferred me over to legal and I left a voice mail. I thought that was strange because I was just asking for clarification.

My friend called HSLDA and they were aware of the issue with Amazon. I guess it has happened in the past. They said they would offer assistance but don't expect much because they are a private company.

I find it hard to believe that Amazon would take that stance. I also find it strange that no one in this very small and vocal community hasn't heard about it before. If I have written proof from someone higher up than a local office stating that is their policy I won't shop there anymore but right now I am just trying to find out what is the actual policy.

Well I don't have dh's high school diploma laying about (can't say that he's shown it to anyone after entering college), but I would doubt that it has anything on it other than signatures and seals from his school. It might indicate that the school is accredited. But my experience is that in most states there is not regulation of curricula by the state DOE.

Keep us updated. I spend thousands a year through Amazon. But I'm back in the land of Borders, B&N and used bookstores. No reason not to shop around.

Though the other poster's comments about it being a futile battle are probably correct.

good point!

eta: Don't they realize they run the risk of offending a group that buys a lot of books?!

But still a tiny minority of their customers.

A diploma is just a winnower. It shows someone showed up every day for a sustained effort. It is an extremely inexpensive way to put a first hurdle up.

But still a tiny minority of their customers.

A diploma is just a winnower. It shows someone showed up every day for a sustained effort. It is an extremely inexpensive way to put a first hurdle up.

Yes, but it's a very prejudicial hurdle. It's like the military requiring homeschoolers to get a GED and then putting them at a lower track/paygrade, thus treating them as though they were dropouts.

Yes, but it's a very prejudicial hurdle. It's like the military requiring homeschoolers to get a GED and then putting them at a lower track/paygrade, thus treating them as though they were dropouts.

Like I say, its an employer's market, and they want a cheap winnow. I'm not saying it is right, but it is understandable.

Like I say, its an employer's market, and they want a cheap winnow. I'm not saying it is right, but it is understandable.

I know; it just ticks me off. I've been turned down for several jobs merely because 1) I've been out of the workforce for some time and 2) I have a family (one of the places, I had three inside pulls for me including the supervisor of the department I would have worked in...but HR overruled them based on these two things).

My one and only adult friend who was homeschooled worked for Amazon, doing programming stuff.

I think there's more to the story.

ETA: my friend does have a GED. It sounds like Amazon's issue may be about requiring state-issued graduation documents, instead of private ones. I really can't imagine they don't have a number of private-schooled applicants. Honestly, I'd have my kiddo take the GED if it was a job he wanted. It's not like a college that can use SAT or ACT test scores in lieu of diploma.

Edited by ondreeuh

If I were your friend's son I'd mention HSLDA :D

There are a lot of places that try that whole thing and sometimes just saying, "Okay, that's fine I'll have my lawyer call you.." and mention HSLDA will work.

My brother wanted to join the military and though he passed everything they threw at him with flying colors it came down to his education. Because he was homeschooled they didn't want him. He smiled kindly and said, "Not a problem. By the way, have you ever heard of an organization called Homeschool Legal Defence? They'll be calling you later today on my behalf."

Within 24 hours he was hired on for the position he'd been after. Not entirely sure he's grateful he used that card {he's been deployed} but there you have it..

Geez. As a homeschooler, I buy so many books from Amazon. I guess we are good enough to buy their books, but not good enough to employ, huh?

Did you know that if you purchase from Book Depository you don't have to pay shipping? In Australia I get my books in 2 weeks flat. Which is the same as ordering them from Amazon. They have a UK distributor and a US distributor. That said I don't know how long US shipping takes. :D

If I were your friend's son I'd mention HSLDA

They can't do anything here. Private companies can hire or not hire for any reason, as long as it doesn't violate discrimination laws (age, sex, race, etc...) Education background certainly falls under the scope of accepted weed-out criteria. Dh does a lot of hiring and routinely weeds out people based on education, and spelling errors, and job experience.....

My private school diploma was not certified. I don't even know if there is any such thing as a "state certified" diploma in Michigan as there is no state curricula.

My dad is putting together a logic and math exam that potential new hires will have to take and will no longer be accepting applications from GED only candidates. He's just really having trouble training new recruits in the heating/cooling business and a high school diploma no longer means they are actually capable of doing the basics much less studying for and passing the mechanical and plumbing licenses. Because he is a private business, he is within his rights to winnow in this manner.

I'm not saying I agree with Amazon...it seems rather arbitrary and unproductive. But, they do have a right to do so.

Faith

Seriously? Does Amazon *know* how much business they get from homeschoolers? I'm betting a grassroots boycott would get their attention faster than a call from HSLDA.

HSLDA just e-mailed their weekly newsletter. There's an article entitled "Cornell University Asks for GED or State-Approved Diploma." It says that Cornell asked an applicant for either a GED or a letter from her central New Jersey public school system confirming that her homeschool program met "state requirements for a high school diploma."

HSLDA wrote to Cornell and cleared up the issue.

I wonder we'll be seeing more and more of these requests.

But.... he's in college. If the college accepted him, it's a moot point whether or not he has a high school "diploma".....

If he had a college diploma and were to apply for a job that required a college diploma, it would be a moot point. But I get the impression that he is still taking some college classes and so the last diploma he would have would be the high school one.

HSLDA just e-mailed their weekly newsletter. There's an article entitled "Cornell University Asks for GED or State-Approved Diploma." It says that Cornell asked an applicant for either a GED or a letter from her central New Jersey public school system confirming that her homeschool program met "state requirements for a high school diploma."

HSLDA wrote to Cornell and cleared up the issue.

I wonder we'll be seeing more and more of these requests.

It honestly surprises me with a school like Cornell. I find it hard to believe that they just started getting applications from homeschoolers. I'm sure there are several homeschool grads in their current student body.

It does make me think that as we approach high school, it will be worth the effort to have an outside body "bless" the schooling we do.

Several of my friends have used Crossroads Christian School. They admit that it was a mixed experience. In fact one school rep told one family that they would get a better consideration as straight homeschoolers. But it seems there are also situations where the HR reps don't seem to be able to shake out of the limited model they are used to working in.

I think if my kids decide not to go right to college, then this would be even more important. I hope that college is in their futures, but you never know what the future holds.

It honestly surprises me with a school like Cornell. I find it hard to believe that they just started getting applications from homeschoolers. I'm sure there are several homeschool grads in their current student body.

It does make me think that as we approach high school, it will be worth the effort to have an outside body "bless" the schooling we do.

Several of my friends have used Crossroads Christian School. They admit that it was a mixed experience. In fact one school rep told one family that they would get a better consideration as straight homeschoolers. But it seems there are also situations where the HR reps don't seem to be able to shake out of the limited model they are used to working in.

I think if my kids decide not to go right to college, then this would be even more important. I hope that college is in their futures, but you never know what the future holds.

Some schools in NY ask for a GED and have to be shown the regs that state one can be earned by college classes.

In PA, if you have done a year of college you can get a GED-equivalent from the state (without taking the GED exam). Presumably on the theory that if you can be reasonably successful in college then it can be assumed that you would meet high school graduation requirements. My impression is that you fill out a form, etc.

Perhaps this approach would be possible in the OP's situation.

If I were your friend's son I'd mention HSLDA :D

There are a lot of places that try that whole thing and sometimes just saying, "Okay, that's fine I'll have my lawyer call you.." and mention HSLDA will work.

That's a great way to start employment. Threaten a lawsuit.

I'd be less likely to hire someone who threated me with a call from their lawyer than I would be to hire someone whose mother called on their behalf. I'm sure glad I live in an at-will state and I don't have to justify who I hire or fire to anyone. (I do hire homeschoolers though.)