Menu

If you had no access to pre natal care?

What could you do at home to check your health and the health of your baby?

When I got pregnant we had insurance, an emergency fund, and I had a wonderful OB. Shortly after that, DH's job, insurance, and emergency fund were gone.

I'm 12 weeks along. I've had an u/s done thanks to a local pregnancy resource center, so I know there's a heartbeat. I have morning sickness and severe food aversions, so my nutrition is mostly a miss.

We're attempting to get on state insurance, but that might not be possible due to the fact that I was insured the prior 3 months. I'm waiting to see.

DH was able to get another job in a very short period of time. He did take a small pay cut and they don't offer insurance right away. We can't pay Cobra and continue to make our mortgage payment.

Get a good prenatal vitamin. The med Rx'd for severe nausea is diclectin. Worth the copay, etc if its to the point of dehydration being an issue. Better copay and Rx than ER.

Taking the prenatal at bedtime was the only way I could keep them down.

What is a good pre natal vitamin? I used the ones from Target last pregnancy and am using that brand again...

I have an RX for zofran, because the morning sickness does lead to dehydration. My regular Dr. prescribed me a large quantity as soon as I found out I was going to lose my insurance. If I need more, I'll have to pay out of pocket but our local chain pharmacy has a workable payment plan.

Thank you!

I would check into Medicaid & WIC. I thought PG women were automatically covered. I'd call all local social services agency. I'd call every OB in town. I'd beg for help.

What would you do if your child needed medical care that you could not afford? What would you sell? Who would you beg? That's the situation you are now in. Do what it takes.

Can you work a few hours a week at a night/weekend job to earn the $$ for the Cobra? Grocery clerk? Babysitting? Cleaning?

After all those calls, I'd beg my family for help paying for comprehensive prenatal care if I didn't have enough credit to pay for it. If I had credit, or could get it, I'd go into commercial debt instead of debt to family, as at least commercial debt can be resolved through bankruptcy. If bankruptcy came later, that'd be fine by me.

Use your emergency fund to pay for COBRA, or if that isn't enough, then beg family, church, or friends for help paying it.

You'd never forgive yourself if your lack of prenatal care compromised your health or that of your new baby. Your family depends on YOU being healthy, and your new baby depends on YOU to do what it takes to care for him.

Do what it takes.

Oh, and I loved Rainbow Light Vegan Prenatals. They have papaya, which really helps with indigestion.

The only thing that is really critical is B vitamins. Calcium and iron will deplete your stores, but the baby will be okay. B deficiency can cause neural tube defects. Plus B makes you feel better. I took B complex only during the first 20 wks or so, when I had severe nausea. Then the Rainbow Light once I felt better.

I prefer the Rainbow Light vitamins...easy on the belly and you only have to swallow one a day. I'd also suggest Floradix. Have you considered birthing at home with a midwife? Most will work with you and offer payment plans that extend after the baby's birth. Midwifery care is the best healthcare I've ever received.

Congratulations!

The generic Zofran at CVS costs $4 if you pay out of pocket. At least this is according to my son's ENT who gave me that tip. So ask the pharmacist what the generic brand costs for you self pay and not using a copay.

I used Raibow Light prenatals. The liquid prenatal from Nature's Source is what I used for the first 6 months of pg when I was vomiting a lot.

Thanks all, some of those options look cheaper than Zofran.

I have looked into Medicaid, but we don't qualify. Pregnant women are not automatically qualified if there's income to look at.

I will beg for help from family if the state insurance doesn't pan out, but it's not like any of them have a lot of extra money they can give me. I have no problem seeking care and racking up (more debt), but I'd rather not. We couldn't pay it back in any kind of timely manner and that seems unethical.

Working is out until I can my nausea under control, I'd be a terrible employee at this point. :( It's the first thing I thought of.

Home birth. I've thought about it. My DS was an emergency c-section. My DH is not for a home birth at all and that's doubly so after DS was born. I looked and finding a midwife willing to do an at home VBAC isn't likely.

Thank you for all your thoughts!

Wow, what a hard situation. Here are a few websites, I hope one of these agencies is able to help. In theory these places exist for situations like yours, but it may take some work to figure out whether you qualify.

Medicaid: http://www.cms.gov/home/medicaid.asp (ETA: never mind, you've checked that already)

CHIP: http://www.insurekidsnow.gov/chip/index.html

US Maternal and Child Health Bureau: http://mchb.hrsa.gov/programs/womeninfants/prenatal.htm

:grouphug:

Edited by msk

You should be able to get on medicaid simply because you're pregnant. There shouldn't be a problem.

If, for some reason you absolutely can't, you could always google unassisted pregnancy. A lot of those forums/articles/boards actually have pretty good ideas on them. I used them most of the time when I was preg with my last, b/c I wasn't able to get care until my 32nd week.

If I were you, I'd call my regular doc and ask what he/she can work out with you. Usually doctors are more than willing to work out payment plans with people in your situation.

You can also call your hospital and talk with the OB department about finances. Most are happy to work with you.

Do you have a church body you can ask for help? I know our church (and it's very, very small) would be honored to help in a situation like this.

So sorry...I've been there, too. :grouphug:

Income limits for Medicaid are different if you're pregnant, so maybe call and talk to someone there. WIC is a good resource too. They can check your iron count.

I would check out unassisted pregnancy; even if you're not comfortable with that, you can get some tips on doing your own prenatal care. You can get a blood pressure cuff and a fetoscope, so that you can do your BP and listen to the baby's heartbeat. You can also measure (or have your husband measure) your fundal height and chart it to be sure the baby is growing. If you're concerned about diabetes, you can get the equipment and check your own blood sugars. You can record kick counts (later than 12w, obviously) and weight gain. I'd also see if your OB can make some sort of deal with you, and if not, I'd contact a midwife and use her for your prenatal care, even if you don't use her for the birth.

:grouphug: and congratulations!

Do you have a local crisis pregnancy center? That's where I would go in your position. They should be able to give you some ideas/references for what to do.

Oh, YES, this is exactly what the anti-abortion/pro-life/whatever pg centers should be doing! If they aren't already doing it, they should be! Protecting the life of the unborn is what they're about, right???

YES! That's brilliant! Call and make appts at some of those places! And, maybe appts to talk to the pastor of any large obviously strongly pro-life churches. They've GOT to have resources to direct you to!

I am so, so sorry. You all have some of the most helpful suggestions and I feel like such a heel because they may not work for me. We're not poor, just lower middle class. We've always had insurance and savings(not much, but it was there) and both were wiped out in the past 2 months due to everything hitting at once.

CHP+- i have applied and we qualify based on income. However, Colorado eligibility laws rules out people who had insurance in the past 3 months. Which I have. We lost insurance at the beginning of April. I may get presumptive eligibility, but two different people at CHP+, plus the United Way state insurance advocate are not sure if I will yet. No one seems to know.

Medicaid- We have income and proof of income for the past month(March and April), we're out of Medicaid range and even with being pregnant they said they couldn't help.

Planned Parenthood- Our local Planned Parenthood does not provide pre natal services beyond the initial test.

Crisis Pregnancy Center-Won't do medical care, beyond confirmation of pregnancy via test and u/s. I've asked for referrals and been referred to Medicaid/CHP+ and the Public Health Dept. They will pray for me. :)

Public Health Dept-worker stated that because we've had very little gap in income and based on what DH makes, I'm not eligible.

I'm going to look into some of the unassisted links you all have provided and try to my own care until I find something out about insurance. Maybe CHP will come through and, if not, in 3 months DH will get insurance through his job. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, I just have to get there.

Thanks for all your help!

Home birth. I've thought about it. My DS was an emergency c-section. My DH is not for a home birth at all and that's doubly so after DS was born. I looked and finding a midwife willing to do an at home VBAC isn't likely.

Several people have suggested an unassisted home birth; I'm assuming they did not see this part of your previous post. As a two-time VBAC-with-midwives mom, I'm all for VBACs, but only when the various risks and medical history are considered and sensible just-in-case plans are in place accordingly. I would NOT suggest an unassisted home birth in your situation, especially for financial reasons. A midwife-at-home VBAC isn't likely either (as said, it would be hard to find a midwife), but if you have a birth center in your area it may be worth inquiring there.

Is it possible to juggle your budget to afford the COBRA? Dump the cable, land line, etc. (if you haven't already)? Could you drop some family members but keep you covered? Could you choose a high-deductible plan? Talk to the HR people at the company and see if you have any options. If the COBRA is not an option, talk to midwives/docs and see how much it would really cost for the prenatal care/delivery.

i am so sorry. i can't believe that we are really a first world nation. no one should have to worry about this. no one.

ann

you could try this:

http://www.cohealthinitiative.org/uninsured

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/GovernorsHealthReform/GOVR/1251573982023

this may be the best bet

https://www.covercolorado.org/

for years i ran a health clinic for uninsured folks in california. one of the things we had was a state social worker who helped us find funding to help people. so you might start by calling the local hospital and asking to speak with the social worker.

Edited by elfgivas@yahoo.com

:grouphug::grouphug:

Maybe talk to your OB and see if you can work out some sort of payment plan so that you can go if necessary?

I saw that your dh has a new job - will you be covered by the new insurance once it comes through, or will they call "pre-existing condition" on your pregnancy case if your COBRA runs out?

:grouphug: I'm so sorry this is happening. If it were me I would definitely be begging relatives for money to pay COBRA before the new insurance started. I probably wouldn't go for an unassisted birth, since your last birth was a C-section. But hopefully you'll have insurance by then.

My prenatal appointments in early pregnancy were really simple - they were once a month. They measured my weight, fundal height, blood pressure, and listened to baby's heartbeat. They also asked me about baby movements and told me what things would be likely to get baby moving. HTH.

Edited by Hannah C.

I would definitely talk to your OB's office to see what they might be able to work out for you.

Several people have suggested an unassisted home birth; I'm assuming they did not see this part of your previous post. As a two-time VBAC-with-midwives mom, I'm all for VBACs, but only when the various risks and medical history are considered and sensible just-in-case plans are in place accordingly. I would NOT suggest an unassisted home birth in your situation, especially for financial reasons. A midwife-at-home VBAC isn't likely either (as said, it would be hard to find a midwife), but if you have a birth center in your area it may be worth inquiring there.

:iagree:

This is what makes our health care system so screwed up. I'm so sorry and can't imagine your stress. As far as "pre-existing" doesn't the new healthcare bill take care of that, don't they have to accept you? Have any of the people you called been able to suggest a low-cost insurance plan you can get? I just want to cry for you.:grouphug:

:grouphug: I'm sorry you are in this situation.

I'm curious why you don't think you can find a mw to do a HBAC? It's my understanding that midwives are able to attend VBAC at home. The leaders of the Colorado ICAN groups could probably put you in contact with a midwife.

What could you do at home to check your health and the health of your baby?

- Blood pressure cuff and stethoscope

- urine sticks: make sure they check at least ketones, protein, and glucose.

- weight (not totally essential)

- You can rent dopplers at places like Stork Radio to check FHT or after 20 weeks you can use a fetoscope (AllHeart.com sells a good, inexpensive one)

- If you haven't found a solution after 20 weeks your dh or can measure fundal height. He'll put the "0" end at your pubic bone then find the top of your uterus with his other hand and the other end of the measuring tape.

You only need to do those things every four weeks until you are 28 weeks. Then every two weeks until 36 weeks. After that, every week until the baby comes. But hopefully you'll have a provider by the time you need to do things so often. :)

- If you start seeing glucose on the urine sticks then start monitoring your blood sugars. Also eliminate processed sugar from your diet, eat carbs + protein at breakfast and exercise (a brisk walk can be enough to stablize sugars).

Re: vitamins - Anything whole foods based. They will assimilate very well in your body. The suggestions for Rainbow Light are great ones.

Re: m/s and aversion - Protein shakes are a great way to get some nutrition in but not be hard on the stomach. Also make sure you are nibbling on something every 2-3 hours. It can be as simple as a few almonds.

Also a good idea to consider a calcium/magnesium supplement.

If you have other questions I'm happy to help. :)

Contact WIC and the pregnancy resource center to find a free clinic. Also, if you've applied for state medicaid, they will backdate your benefits to the date of your application after you are approved. The process is easier if you are pregnant - less hoops, higher income limit.

At the very minimum, it's important to have your weight, blood pressure, and urine checked regularly. You may even be able to get urine test strips to do it yourself. If you do this, keep a log at home to record your results.

:grouphug: I'm sorry you are in this situation.

I'm curious why you don't think you can find a mw to do a HBAC? It's my understanding that midwives are able to attend VBAC at home. The leaders of the Colorado ICAN groups could probably put you in contact with a midwife.

I think it varies by state. Here in AZ it is considered a "black market" birth if a midwife will attend a HBAC (many still do). I agree to find your local iCAN to check.

I think it varies by state. Here in AZ it is considered a "black market" birth if a midwife will attend a HBAC (many still do). I agree to find your local iCAN to check.

My midwife in AZ can legally attend an HBAC because she is also a licensed naturopathic doctor. I don't know about where you are at, though. You may be able to find someone. (You'll still have to pay quite a bit, though...)

Find a local Catholic hospital. I ended up going to such a place with a clinic and while I had to cycle through all the midwives there (and one doctor), then I got excellent care and had an amazing birth. But I was no pushover and my pride was intact despite the free care. I had looked around and would have paid $3-5k for a birth at a private clinic that did VBAC's and the care at my old OB would have been somewhere below $10k, with no complications so these were my back-ups, has I needed it.

I think you are fine right now, but would definitely and absolutely not shrink on care after 20 weeks NOR at the end of pregnancy. Way too dangerous in my book if your outcome is the hope for a healthy baby (but I am not risky like that!!).

CHP+- i have applied and we qualify based on income. However, Colorado eligibility laws rules out people who had insurance in the past 3 months. Which I have. We lost insurance at the beginning of April. I may get presumptive eligibility, but two different people at CHP+, plus the United Way state insurance advocate are not sure if I will yet. No one seems to know.

Call Again. If they don't know, speak to the supervisor. Trust me. Explain your situation. There are always loop holes. My children were on Healthy Kids insurance for two years & we switched from our regular employer insurance straight to Healthy Kids (same as CHP+), and that was against the "rules", but it still worked out for us. Exceptions do occur. Set up an appointment & be incredibly kind when you go in. The state would not like to see you have zero prenatal care.

VERY worst case scenario, you can get the insurance during your second trimester. In the meantime, go to see the doctor at least once between now & then for a routine check-up. Eat healthy. Take prenatal vitamins & BE SURE to get the proper care you need as soon as you are eligible.:grouphug:

Susan

- Blood pressure cuff and stethoscope

- urine sticks: make sure they check at least ketones, protein, and glucose.

- weight (not totally essential)

- You can rent dopplers at places like Stork Radio to check FHT or after 20 weeks you can use a fetoscope (AllHeart.com sells a good, inexpensive one)

- If you haven't found a solution after 20 weeks your dh or can measure fundal height. He'll put the "0" end at your pubic bone then find the top of your uterus with his other hand and the other end of the measuring tape.

Yep, if all else fails with getting prenatal care, I was going to suggest the above as well. I have my own blood pressure cuff and I'm about to get a fetal doppler as well. I do have insurance but I also like to take my health (and that of my baby's) into my own hands as well.

Have you tried calling this number: 1-800-311-BABY? It should connect you to your local health department, which should have low- or no-cost prenatal care options in place. All states (in the U.S.) have some kind of program that helps women get prenatal care more affordably, but jumping through the hoops to find and secure it can be a big hassle.

Start calling midwives, the ones that work at birth centers or do homebirths. They have much much much lower fees than OB's, and are usually small business owners that are willing to do payment plans, barter, etc. I know mine wouldn't turn you away for prenatal care in the situation you are in.

That way you can have your urine checked, your blood pressure checked, and check the heart beat.

If you absolutely can't find someone to do this for you then you can go to the drug store to check your blood pressure, and see about buying some urinalysis strips to check for protein and ketones. Those are the two big things for prenatal care.

Maybe CHP will come through and, if not, in 3 months DH will get insurance through his job.

My advice, even when he is eligible through his work, keep your children on the state insurance and use the private insurance for you & your husband only. Especially since you are playing catch-up with finances right now. That's what we did (and it's totally allowed). We did this for 2 years. The state insurance will have no deductible and have much better coverage for your children, especially being pregnant - it will be the best route to go!

Susan

Please check and see if you have a crisis pregnancy center in your area. We have one and my mil, a retired nurse, volunteers there. She does prenatal care for uninsured moms that don't qualify for state health benefits and they refer to some lovely OB's that will give prenatal pro-bono if the mom is showing that she wants to be responsible for baby and can get transportation to the appointments.

This pregnancy center also has a baby pantry and women who attend their prenatals with either my MIL or the OB - low risk just stay with MIL - medium and high risk see the OB's - take the baby first aid/CPR class, etc. earn points to spend in the pantry where they can get car seats, strollers, clothing, diapers, etc.

An institution such as this would be happy to assist you. That is what they are there for.

Faith

I'd use a midwife if I expected a normal, uneventful pregnancy. Mine was very good about a payment plan. If I was high-risk, I'd work out a payment plan / borrow / beg.

Most of the money / expense is when the baby is born, and some clinics have a lump fee. I'd see if they would work with you on the insurance, perhaps waiting to bill until you are covered.

Call though, I'm sure you can find a doctor or midwife to work with you!

I had no access to prenatal care with my first till I was 6 months along.

If I were in your shoes I'd make sure my dr was aware of it; lots of times they will work with you when they know this. (ie. call in a prescription instead of insisting on an office visit) I'd find a Nurse Practitioner to who would be willing to see me at lower cost.

Actually, we recommended an unassisted pregnancy, which is different from an unassisted birth. UP is basically what many are recommending, get supplies and do it yourself, if the OP absolutely can't find a provider. Most people wouldn't ever recommend a UC (unassisted childbirth) for a VBAC. :001_smile: