Menu

(shaking my head) Unbelievable dental story.

My son was extremely impressed with the tooth fairy money his 10 yo sister was getting lately. She was loosing teeth frequently and increasing her pocket book and spending power. He was like, "Why wait for teeth to fall out?" So he pulled, pushed, pulled, twisted, and yanked on teeth until they came out.

I am not a dentist. I did not know that certain teeth come out at certain ages. So when his dentist at the recent 6 month checkup asked me how the rest of his baby teeth came out I was dumbfounded, "Huh? They fell out." Not according to the previous x-ray from 6 months ago. Those teeth were far from showing signs of being loose. In fact, they shouldn't have come out until he was 10 or closer to 12. He referred us to our ortho for a consult.

Fast forward, this afternoon, the ortho says, "You need to switch to another dentist. I want to know why he pulled out your son's remaining baby teeth!?"

Nope, that was the child next to me.

"YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING! How did he get those teeth out. They'd have had huge roots! OUCH!"

So the $1 of Tooth Fairy money is going to cost me thousands of dollars. :svengo::svengo::svengo::svengo::svengo::svengo::svengo:

Unbelievable.

Wow! My kids have wiggled their loose teeth, but I don't think they've the courage to pull out perfectly good ones.

Ouch! The only thing I can figure as to why it would be costly is that pulling teeth out before the new ones are ready could mess up their alignment and lead to all sorts of future issues. Oy.

Why will it cost thousands of dollars? :confused: They'll grow back, right? Why does it make a difference?

sorry, forgot to mention the 6 adult teeth (3 on each side) that are trapped by the adult teeth that already came in and moved forward to fill the space he created when he pulled those two baby molars.

If kids lose teeth early through trauma or whatever they replace them and/or put in spacers. If they don't, then the adult teeth won't grow in correctly.

Right. And since I didn't know this the adult teeth filled in those spaces and we're well down the path of growing in incorrectly. I am not a dentist.

His front teeth are bucking because everything is moving forward and pushing up and out.

He'll wear braces to pull those teeth back down and in. And he'll have an expander to widen his palate to make more room for those 3 teeth. Next year he may have to have something pulled, but time will tell.

Right. And since I didn't know this the adult teeth filled in those spaces and we're well down the path of growing in incorrectly. I am not a dentist.

His front teeth are bucking because everything is moving forward and pushing up and out.

He'll wear braces to pull those teeth back down and in. And he'll have an expander to widen his palate to make more room for those 3 teeth. Next year he may have to have something pulled, but time will tell.

I wouldn't mention this part to the boy ;)....:svengo:

That is pretty unbelievable. My 9 yo son had 4 pulled by the dentist, at the recommendation of the orthodontist, and it was excruciatingly painful for him even with novacaine. And the roots on the teeth were HUGE. Did you notice the roots on them were not what you normally see on teeth that fall out naturally?

OK, I've got the heebie-jeebies (teeth/dental issues. Plus I always have the dreams that my teeth are falling out).

Did you give him money/tooth fairy money for all these teeth? :confused:

Heebie-Jeebies is a good way to explain how I am feeling after reading this. Wow!

I would! And tell him if it comes out by way other than the dentist, or any way the dentist deemed unnatural, YOU get ALL his tooth fairy money!

The ortho. told ds that if he touches any of his teeth that he will tie his hands behind his back permanently!

It is unbelievable, as you wrote. Sorry, you are facing all these expenses. You can always comfort yourself with the thought that he may have needed orthodontic treatment anyway...

There had to have been a good amount of bleeding? Did he ever think he may need them for chewing? :001_smile:

OK, I've got the heebie-jeebies (teeth/dental issues. Plus I always have the dreams that my teeth are falling out).

Did you give him money/tooth fairy money for all these teeth? :confused:

My 5 year old has her first loose tooth and I get heebie-jeebies watching her wiggle it. I have had TONS of those same dreams where my teeth fall out. I cannot imagine trying to purposefully pull your own teeth out before they are totally ready. How in the world did he do that?!

I don't know if it's any consolation, but if he needs a pallet expander he would have needed it even if he hadn't pulled the teeth. They are trying to make room for the adult teeth and his pallet is too small, not connected to the pulled baby teeth. Of course he probably wouldn't have needed the ortho this early!

One of my dds had a pallet expander and it did amazing things. We could practically see the teeth moving into place.

Mary

I don't know if it's any consolation, but if he needs a pallet expander he would have needed it even if he hadn't pulled the teeth. They are trying to make room for the adult teeth and his pallet is too small, not connected to the pulled baby teeth. Of course he probably wouldn't have needed the ortho this early!

One of my dds had a pallet expander and it did amazing things. We could practically see the teeth moving into place.

Mary

True. we did know about the palette expander possibility. But that was supposed to be when he was older, in a year or two. The braces are the new piece since his teeth moved forward and bucked. That's adding additional years.

:grouphug: I am so sorry...and now I feel stupid that I spent time locked in the bathroom crying yesterday because my daughter needs to see a pediatric dentist since she has two severely decayed teeth. Maybe I should be happy that she hasn't pulled them out. Eek! :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug: so sorry for that unhappy trip to the dentist. Our experiences with a pediatric dentist have all been super. My kids actually look forward to going for their cleanings despite having had to have fillings too.