Menu

Sigh....another reason why I'm glad DD is homeschooled

Wait a minute...they tell you you can't send your child a lunch and then make you pay for their lunch? Is that legal? I know some parents don't pack healthy lunches, but from what I've read about school lunches, those aren't very healthy either. I would rather see parents packing a lunch that their children will eat, then have the children dumping out the over priced school lunch and going hungry. I feed my kids healthy foods. I'm certain my lunches would be healthier AND more appealing than what the school provides. I realize this isn't the case for all families. Maybe what this country needs is more nutrition education for the parents and the children alike. Maybe the schools could try sending home a list of recommended healthy lunch foods to assist parents with their lunch packing.

You know, the irony of this is that school lunches have such a reputation for being completely garbage. So you can't send a ham and cheese sandwich with carrots on the side with your kid because they have to buy processed white flour pizza at school because it's healthier? Huh????? Stupid.

I am sorry but I know what is served in the kitchen at the schools that my kids would go to. I do have one child that goes to public highschool and he tells me each day what they had and then comes home and eats his real lunch at 3pm. It is ridiculous. Not only is the food not fit to eat but it is not healthy and the portions wouldn't even feed my 9yr old son, and these are highschoolers.

I don't believe a school has the right to decided what I can feed my child for lunch. To me that is a huge parental rights infringement, although I am beginning how many rights we will have for too long.

I wonder what Jamie Oliver has to say about that one? :confused:

In the show set in the US, he was very much UNimpressed with what most kids were bringing in their packed lunches -- Lunchables, cookies, soda, and the like, so he was in favor of kids eating nutritious school lunches.

There are people who have special dietary needs beyond allergies (vegetarian, vegan, kosher, halal). But I also think the money issue is troubling.

In my public high school, sodas, candies, and chips were all sold. There was a vending machine as well. AND students were forced to sell candies on behalf of the school. So I'm underwhelmed personally by school food.

because I'm SURE that if Chicago is doing it-Memphis will follow suit pretty quickly.

Synopsis-At least some Chicago-area schools have banned kids from bringing in packed lunches unless there's a medical reason to do so.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/education/ct-met-school-lunch-restrictions-041120110410,0,4567867.story

This type of thing makes me want to :ack2: What an over-step of boundaries!

Taxpayers subsidize a lot of those school lunches. Follow the money. Someone is making a profit on this--and it's not the parents.

I wonder what Jamie Oliver has to say about that one? :confused:

From watching Food Revolution, I think he's in favor of what the school is doing. I remember one episode where he was looking at the lunches that kids had brought in and critiquing them. He didn't sound like he was in the camp that believed that family liberties included the freedom to pack unwholesome lunches.

I love the idea of making school lunches more nutritous. But I think that is probably going to come with more restrictions on lunches brought from home.

I don't care how healthy the schools are supposedly going to make the lunches become (or so they say), NO ONE should take away my right to feed my children what I want them to eat! And, to force me to have to PAY for something and not give me the choice is absolutely wrong! That's why they have taxes!!! :banghead:

Ugh... this article irks me to no end!

Even if the school lunches are lower fat and lower calorie than home-packed lunches, so what?! A potato chip or a cookie should not be given the enormous cachet of "forbidden fruit," because it will only increase the desirability of those things. Children should be encouraged to eat a wide range of foods.

My kids are both below the fifth percentile in weight-for-height. They are bony little sticks. You'd better believe that I put high calorie, high fat foods in front of them at every given opportunity. You bet that I've said "eat more meat and potatoes before you have another helping of carrot sticks." You bet that I serve full-fat milk. You bet they have dessert every night. It's what's right for my kids.

1. Aaaaaaaaaarrrggghhh!

2. "Carmona said she created the policy six years ago after watching students bring "bottles of soda and flaming hot chips" on field trips for their lunch." My mom saw field trips as special occasions and often packed me a can of soda or juice box and a bag of chips... she didn't want me to have to lug around my reusable lunch box (which on a regular day contained a thermos of milk and washable containers with a sandwich, fruit, and veggies) all day.

3. Reason #483 to continue homeschooling: We can't afford "free" government education. :glare:

4. Aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!

Edited by Tutor
typo

I'm pretty sure from its name that this is a charter school, so they can impose these types of rules since you're not obligated to send your child to that particular school. I can see both sides. School lunch is usually pretty nasty, but they do have to serve milk and fruits and vegetables. They do beat a lunchable, gatorade and skittles.

Dh said that they are trying to force people who don't qualify for free lunches to buy lunches to make up for the money the schools are loosing from free lunches.

I don't legally see how a free, public school can force a person to buy a lunch.

Except that according to the Chicago Public Schools web site, 99.9% of the kids attending are low-income students, which I'm thinking means they get free lunch anyway. No?

The school also has a dress code.

I wouldn't like it, if our schools did mandated it (and our school lunches are awesome!), but from the little bit I've read about this school, I am thinking this is the least of their problems.

I'm pretty sure from its name that this is a charter school, so they can impose these types of rules since you're not obligated to send your child to that particular school. I can see both sides. School lunch is usually pretty nasty, but they do have to serve milk and fruits and vegetables. They do beat a lunchable, gatorade and skittles.

I don't consider chocolate milk and french fries healthy.

My daughter's public preK serves a free snack to the (4 and 5 year old) kids every day. Things like Poptarts, Rice Krispy Treats, and (huge) honeybuns. Things I consider junk.

MMM, did everyone miss the carrots and fruit in the picture as well? And what's the beef about chocolate milk? Have you tasted the white milk in a carton? It's really nasty. Research has shown that when students were offered only white milk they chose not to drink it and obtain more calcium and nutrients from the chocolate.

As far as requiring school lunches being a cash cow for the school, in this instance most of the kids are on free/reduced lunch. But schools barely break even on lunches; it's not about making a profit. I would have to work very hard to spend less money on a sack lunch than I spend on their school lunch which is $1.30 per day. Don't compare today's school lunch to what you remember from your school days as they have much improved.

MMM, did everyone miss the carrots and fruit in the picture as well? And what's the beef about chocolate milk? Have you tasted the white milk in a carton? It's really nasty. Research has shown that when students were offered only white milk they chose not to drink it and obtain more calcium and nutrients from the chocolate.

As far as requiring school lunches being a cash cow for the school, in this instance most of the kids are on free/reduced lunch. But schools barely break even on lunches; it's not about making a profit. I would have to work very hard to spend less money on a sack lunch than I spend on their school lunch which is $1.30 per day. Don't compare today's school lunch to what you remember from your school days as they have much improved.

I did not miss that the pears were canned.

I like white milk. I would drink it everyday. Unfortunately I am violently allergic to milk. I know pink milk tastes W*O*N*D*E*R*F*U*L (with sparkles wonderful) but it isn't something I want my children drinking. I don't like the dyes in it. Yeah, I give my kids chocolate milk sometimes but it is an occasional treat, not an everyday thing. It has a lot of sugar in it. If I splurge on one organic, all natural thing it is milk.

Schools get a lot of their food for free through subsidies and commodities. Especially if they are giving their students garbage.

Edited by Sis

"Maybe what this country needs is more nutrition education for the parents and the children alike. Maybe the schools could try sending home a list of recommended healthy lunch foods to assist parents with their lunch packing."

Don't mean to start something new but I don't see how this even remotely should be included in the school system's priorities. Now we're educating parents on how to be...parents?

Venting a bit and don't mean to come off as snarky but I strongly disagree with a statement like this.

Its this underlying attitude of what I think that adds to the problem here.

Honestly asking, do you think we're not smart enough as parents to even pack a lunch? What if those parents actually went to a store, bought ho-hos and chocolate milk and packed it for their child to eat for lunch. Are they not allowed to do that?

Don't mean to start something new but I don't see how this even remotely should be included in the school system's priorities. Now we're educating parents on how to be...parents?

Venting a bit and don't mean to come off as snarky but I strongly disagree with a statement like this.

Its this underlying attitude of what I think that adds to the problem here.

Honestly asking, do you think we're not smart enough as parents to even pack a lunch? What if those parents actually went to a store, bought ho-hos and chocolate milk and packed it for their child to eat for lunch. Are they not allowed to do that?

Honestly, based on some of the people I have met, some parents are not smart enough to pack a lunch. I've worked in an elementary school before. I saw what came to school with the kids as lunch.

Some people in this country have no clue what a healthy nutritious lunch looks like. We've had a couple of generations of people that have grown up on processed, packaged food. There are a great many people that do not understand, or care, what is in the food, how the food affects both your body and mental abilities, and the long term affects of the junk food.

Look at the standard American diet. It's loaded with refined carbs, sugar, and fat. There are people that really don't know that is unhealthy. I'm opposed to a school saying you can't bring your own lunch. But I'm not opposed to a little nutrition education for both the students and the parents. If the school doesn't provide the information, who will? I never said a parent should be required to send foods on the list of suggested lunch items, just give out a little information on what makes a healthy balanced diet. Maybe someone who is completely uneducated in that area might appreciate the information.

There is a big push at a national level for healthy foods in schools, so I wouldn't assume it's the same junk you might remember. This may not have happened everywhere yet but it's definitely coming. I've never seen our schools serve dessert and even though the chicken nuggets are grossly preprocessed, they are breaded in whole wheat. Even the pizza is whole wheat. They have an option for chocolate milk but they offset by making it non-fat. The soda machines are out, even in the teacher's lounge and in high school vending machines serve juice or bottled water. I'm not arguing that they serve healthier lunch than lunch from home, just pointing out that things are changing.

Also, I don't think it's a money thing. As far as I know lunch is pretty much federal money. At least free lunch is.

All that being said, I still think it's very wrong to take parenting power away and is exactly what this does. It's also a very bad precedence. Where is this leading? If nutritious lunches are a problem they should step up their education on nutrition and healthy choices. Education is their business, not parenting.

We're vegetarian, and drink only soy or rice milk. Would they accomodate us?

I was wondering that, too.

We've vegan. I didn't see that on the short list of allergy/medical excuse exemptions.

What about a child who has religious restrictions on his or her diet?

The whole thing is ridiculous.

But we all knew that, right?

Edit: Out of curiosity, I looked up what is being served for lunch this week in our local middle and high schools.

Monday - Chicken Alfredo with Rotini, garlic breadstick, "California medly" (whatever that is), Italian ice, fruit juice

Tuesday - Nachos Surpeme, buttered corn, fruit mix, fruit juice

Wednesday - Ultra Dog with Scrabble (I have no idea what this means.), Cheese It, mashed potatoes with poultry gravy, fresh fruit, fruit juice

Thursday - "Asian Bowl," fruit mix, fruit juice

Friday - Peach Barbeque Roasted Chicken, mashed potatoes with poultry gravy, fresh fruit, fruit juice

There is an alternate every day that is more fast-food-like, usually either cheese or peperoni pizza, taco salad or fish sandwich.

My kids could not eat any of these items, except the fresh fruit served on one day. They could also drink the fruit juice if it's really 100% fruit. (We avoid most refined sugar for ethical reasons.)

There is a link on the district's website for nutritional facts, but it doesn't work.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I was wondering that, too.

We've vegan. I didn't see that on the short list of allergy/medical excuse exemptions.

What about a child who has religious restrictions on his or her diet?

The whole thing is ridiculous.

But we all knew that, right?

Edit: Out of curiosity, I looked up what is being served for lunch this week in our local middle and high schools.

Monday - Chicken Alfredo with Rotini, garlic breadstick, "California medly" (whatever that is), Italian ice, fruit juice

Tuesday - Nachos Surpeme, buttered corn, fruit mix, fruit juice

Wednesday - Ultra Dog with Scrabble (I have no idea what this means.), Cheese It, mashed potatoes with poultry gravy, fresh fruit, fruit juice

Thursday - "Asian Bowl," fruit mix, fruit juice

Friday - Peach Barbeque Roasted Chicken, mashed potatoes with poultry gravy, fresh fruit, fruit juice

There is an alternate every day that is more fast-food-like, usually either cheese or peperoni pizza, taco salad or fish sandwich.

My kids could not eat any of these items, except the fresh fruit served on one day. They could also drink the fruit juice if it's really 100% fruit. (We avoid most refined sugar for ethical reasons.)

There is a link on the district's website for nutritional facts, but it doesn't work.

I would love to hear more about what your family eats. I bet you rarely are sick. :)

My family eats horrible. A lot to do with it being cheaper. :(

I don't know where you live, but the school lunches in my area are anything but healthy! They are very much like what I remember, if not worse. For the free breakfast, they serve "super donuts" (which are just donuts with peanut butter for protein), PopTarts and Teddy Grahams. Lunch this month includes corn dogs, tacos and chicken nuggets with vegetables like tater tots and curly fries. BTW, I took those off of this month's meal schedule at my local school. The meals cost $2.85 and I live in an area with a median income of $40,000, so not a high cost/income area. The kids who don't qualify for free lunch are probably the ones who bring packed lunches because my friends tell me they pack because they can't afford to buy everyday. The high school lunch costs $3.65 and then the school also sells an assortment of items like Gatorade, pizza and ice cream.

I would love to hear more about what your family eats. I bet you rarely are sick. :)

My family eats horrible. A lot to do with it being cheaper. :(

We're not vegan for health reasons. It's an ethical choice.

We don't eat all that differently from most people, I don't think.

For example, last night we had baked potatoes with toppings of choice, corn on the cob and apple slices. My son had a glass of soymilk with his meal.

For breakfast, my husband and son had oatmeal with some maple syrup. They both drank calcium-fortified OJ, and my son also had soymilk and a banana.

He warmed up left-over pasta and tomato sauce for lunch.

He has a dance class tonight, so dinner is everyone on their own. When I walked past the kitchen, my son was eating one of the banana-chocolate chip muffins I baked earlier today and some potato chips. (Not healthy. I'll make sure he eats something later to round out the day.) My husband is eating what we refer to as a quesadilla, but is more like a flat burrito: two tortillas with refried beans, onion, corn niblets, bell peppers and grated cheese (because he's vegetarian, not vegan). He'll microwave it and top it with salsa.

My son has been begging me to make Indian food something this week. I'm hoping to get to it on Friday. That will be either lentils or chickpeas as the main dish, vegetable samosas, basmati rice and a couple of different kinds of chutney.

His other favorite meal is falafel with hummus and couscous and some fresh fruits and veggies on the side.

We are very rarely sick, however, even though we're not filling up with tofu and kale at every meal.