Menu

How many of you have lost $$ on a sale on this forum?

I have seen quite a few lately and am just wondering.

I purchased something 3 months ago from someone here and I don't have it yet and she is not answering my emails now. It was $65.

It makes me so sad because I have ordered from people on this site and others for years with no issues and consider most hsers to be very honest and dependable.

This is tainting that view completely!

Dawn

Have you seen the person on the forum? Maybe there was an emergency?

When I sell used books here I try to ship immediately to ease worries. We did have a death in the family last summer where we had to leave immediately, but I did send a quick note to say I'd ship when we got back.

I've bought and sold probably a dozen times on this board, and only the last time (last month) did I have any problems. The other person never shipped and didn't respond, so I just filed a claim on paypal and got my money back last week. So, I didn't lose money, but I did have to do a few extra steps to get my money back.

I've bought and sold without issue. However, due to all the issues I've read I don't list many items. I also haven't found many deals on what I need. When I weigh the risk of buying from someone I don't know, I mostly buy new these days. I've had a few deals this year, but those were from buying people I knew well on the board.

If you used pay pal, and you haven't heard back or received the item.... contact them and have them resolve it. It must be done within a certain amount of time..... you might be past the time....but I'd go ahead and file with them and at least let them know.

I've been buying and selling used homeschool curriculum for about 12 years on several different sites. I have bought and sold literally hundreds of different items and have only had a couple of times when I got "burned." The lastest was on a different board where the seller had a good rating. She listed a set of books as being in very good condition and sold them for $35. She said she only took non fee paypal, so I sent $ that way. When the books arrived, it would have been an exaggeration to say they were in fair condition. I was so disappointed! But since I had paid non fee, Paypal wasn't able to do anything. I contacted the other website and they said she had closed out her selling account. But I guess out of hundreds of transactions, that's not a bad ratio (although it doesn't make it any easier to stomach when it happens!)

What I've been wondering about lately is the HUGE increase in people who commit to buy something, never to be heard from again. I have had over a dozen people just in the last month say they want something, ask where to send payment, and then I've never heard from them again. I've actually lost several sales because I was holding things for a buyer who didn't come through. Any ideas why so many more people are doing that?!? :001_huh:

I've bought only one thing through this site and it was a very smooth transaction. I paid for it the next day after first contacting her and I had it in my hands two days later. True, she was in the next state over, but she shipped it out the same day she got my money. I'm sorry you've had a negative experience. I've read about people having these types of things happen and it kind of makes me paranoid.

I paid with a check. It has been cashed within days of me sending it back in January.

She emailed a few times in Jan and Feb. with excuses of snow and sickness, but then promised me she would mail it out. She said it would definitely go out the last week of Feb. She appologized and said there was no real excuse she just hadn't gotten around to it. Well, it is now almost mid April and I have nothing.

I have emailed twice and asked for a refund of my money. She has not responded at all.

Dawn

I bought something from a board member in November and never received it despite several emails and pm's (all unanswered). Out of the blue in January, I received a full refund. Unfortunately this member made it a habit of not sending items that people paid for, and she has now been banned. I had a similar experience on homeschoolclassifieds.com. I have bought and sold many things here over the last few years, and every other transaction has been great.

I've bought many things and sold many more. I've only had one sale go bad. It was right after the whole "Personal" or "Purchase" paypal options started and because it was someone from here I used Personal in early Oct, then got nothing. Mid Nov I got an email saying that she didn't have my address (I included it in the notes section on paypal and emailed her it also) and promised to mail it the next day via priority mail. Then I heard nothing until late Jan after I had mentioned something on this board. Suddenly I got a refund saying she didn't know what happened to it, couldn't find it in her house or remember if she ever did mail it. Nothing ever showed up on my end (no empty or damaged box) so I'm guessing it was never sent.

I've never used Personal Paypal since.

I've never had something not show up when I sell, so far and I try to ship ASAP with Delivery Confirmation.

But since I had paid non fee, Paypal wasn't able to do anything. I contacted the other website and they said she had closed out her selling account. But I guess out of hundreds of transactions, that's not a bad ratio (although it doesn't make it any easier to stomach when it happens!)

What I've been wondering about lately is the HUGE increase in people who commit to buy something, never to be heard from again. I have had over a dozen people just in the last month say they want something, ask where to send payment, and then I've never heard from them again. I've actually lost several sales because I was holding things for a buyer who didn't come through. Any ideas why so many more people are doing that?!? :001_huh:

I usually ask for non-business pay pal since I am selling used books at a fraction of that I paid for them (like a garage sale).... I thought that was ok... I'm wondering if I should just add a little to my sale price and forgo that? Does anyone know what the fees are? And, I'll think about getting a confirmation. I do pay for insurance for more expensive sales.

And.... I get a lot of people who say they are buying and then do not. I never agree to hold anything, first who sends money gets it. Period. I did notice that an insane number of people ask for ISBNs of the books never to buy. I think they take those to get them elsewhere for less $$ especially the Chalkdust texts.

I've probably bought about 10 things and never had a bad experience. Although I think it was the very first thing I bought, it was a bit of an uncomfortable experience. I bought a R&S English set (text and TM). The seller packaged them in a lined paper envelope, which is pretty sturdy, but obviously not sturdy enough because when it arrived only the student text was in there and the P.O. had taped it up. I called the P.O.s where it came out of several times to try to located it but could not. I'm not sure the seller totally believed me that the TM was missing and I felt guilty (although I don't know why!) and felt bad for her, disappointed I didn't get my book, and just uncomfortable all the way around. The seller did refund some of my money, but not enough that I'd have been able to buy another TM for that amount. I think if I'd been the seller I would have given a more generous refund, which again led me to think that maybe she didn't believe me! She didn't send me a message (such as "I'm so sorry this happened, hope this will help) with the refund, either.

I did give her positive feedback since she refunded the money.

Silly me---I thought you were referring to 'losing money' by selling something that I bought new, never used, and then took a terrific loss in selling it! :tongue_smilie:

Seriously----this has to be THE most irritating thing about homeschooling and curriculum. The fact that the used market is such a losing proposition for sellers. :glare:

I usually ask for non-business pay pal since I am selling used books at a fraction of that I paid for them (like a garage sale).... I thought that was ok... I'm wondering if I should just add a little to my sale price and forgo that? Does anyone know what the fees are? And, I'll think about getting a confirmation. I do pay for insurance for more expensive sales.

And.... I get a lot of people who say they are buying and then do not. I never agree to hold anything, first who sends money gets it. Period. I did notice that an insane number of people ask for ISBNs of the books never to buy. I think they take those to get them elsewhere for less $$ especially the Chalkdust texts.

I know that *I* don't buy anything with personal Paypal. Just my 2 cents.

I've bought numerous times on this board and never had a problem; I've gone around and around about selling some stuff here--in general, selling online seems to be more hassle than it is worth, unless you have a big ticket item that you know you can get a good resale price on (like a complete SL core...).

I put our used stuff up on Paperbackswap, or get a box out to Book Samaratian. Not much profit (for me), but that's okay. We have been on the recieving end of other people's kindness, and I like to pass it on.

Yes! Just recently I sent money to someone for something and never heard from them again. She posted saying she was taking a 'board break' but she did not respond to email either. She responded so promptly when I asked if it was still available (like within a couple hours), I sent money via paypal that same night....and then nothing. No response to PMs or email. I have initiated a complaint via paypal- not sure if I'll get my money back or not. Oh- and I know she read at least one PM because after not hearing from her, I attached a read receipt. It was only the second transaction I'd tried. The first one went very smoothly.

I've bought a few things on here, and bought and sold quite a few more on homeschoolclassifieds. I've had no problems, nor any random accusations or hassles, as either the buyer or seller. In fact, I can honestly say, many of the items were nicer than described, and one lady sent me all her stuff she used, not just the book (cut outs organized in envelopes), and it was a $7 transaction. I was so touched.

I'm a bit scared by all the weird transactions I've read about lately.

I have never sold, and only bought once but it went very smoothly. I would be very hesitant to purchase from someone who was relatively "new" here though.

Although I appreciate you have reasons for being hesitant to purchase from someone "new" on this board, I feel the need to respond. :D With only 140 posts I appear to be "new", but I have been visiting these boards daily, sometimes many times daily, since I joined in 2008. I just don't post much.

I have sold quite a few items, and I always try to treat people as I would like to be treated. I try very hard to give thorough and accurate descriptions of what I am selling, package very well, ship asap, and always use delivery confirmation. I would hate for people to not buy from me because I appear "new".:crying:

I have had someone refuse to sell me an item after I offered to pay with any form of payment they wanted, even after giving board names of others I had bought items from. :sad:

I wish more people would use the feedback option.:001_smile:

Sue

Edited by suenc

Silly me---I thought you were referring to 'losing money' by selling something that I bought new, never used, and then took a terrific loss in selling it! :tongue_smilie:

Seriously----this has to be THE most irritating thing about homeschooling and curriculum. The fact that the used market is such a losing proposition for sellers. :glare:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Sometimes I just want to put it all in a big box and pack it all off to Goodwill. :tongue_smilie:All at once. Done.

It is nice (and often necessary) to have at least a little something to put toward next year though.

I am in the middle of what I feel to be a bad transaction. I am praying the mama comes through though as I don't have the budget for errors. I am not very hopeful as the transaction was on 3/18 and she forgot to mail it I moved gave her the new address and asked for a conf# over a week ago and no response :( This was my first transaction here too. Kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth :(

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Sometimes I just want to put it all in a big box and pack it all off to Goodwill. :tongue_smilie:All at once. Done.

It is nice (and often necessary) to have at least a little something to put toward next year though.

Yep. :iagree: Totally. ;)

Although I appreciate you have reasons for being hesitant to purchase from someone "new" on this board, I feel the need to respond. :D With only 140 posts I appear to be "new", but I have been visiting these boards daily, sometimes many times daily, since I joined in 2008. I just don't post much.

I have sold quite a few items, and I always try to treat people as I would like to be treated. I try very hard to give thorough and accurate descriptions of what I am selling, package very well, ship asap, and always use delivery confirmation. I would hate for people to not buy from me because I appear "new".:crying:

I have had someone refuse to sell me an item after I offered to pay with any form of payment they wanted, even after giving board names of others I had bought items from. :sad:

I wish more people would use the feedback option.:001_smile:

Sue

Oh, bummer, Sue:001_smile:

To help encouragement feedback, once a transaction is completed and buyer has received her package, maybe send them a PM asking if they'd consider leaving feedback and provide the link to the transaction. This reminds them about feedback and makes it easy for them since they already have the link.

I'd have no hesitation buying from you:) Once I see one or two positive feedbacks, I'm good, regardless of how new someone is (obviously, you're not new, though)

Blessings,

lisa

Edited by Momto5girls

Oh, bummer, Sue:001_smile:

To help encouragement feedback, once a transaction is completed and buyer has received her package, maybe send them a PM asking if they'd consider leaving feedback and provide the link to the transaction. This reminds them about feedback and makes it easy for them since they already have the link.

I'd have no hesitation buying from you:) Once I see one or two positive feedbacks, I'm good, regardless of how new someone is (obviously, you're not new, though)

Blessings,

lisa

Thanks Lisa! :001_smile:

Sending the link through a pm is a great idea. I hadn't thought of that. I have started giving feedback to buyers, and they in return give me feedback. It's nice how things work out that way.

Sue

I've bought a few things on here, and bought and sold quite a few more on homeschoolclassifieds. I've had no problems, nor any random accusations or hassles, as either the buyer or seller. In fact, I can honestly say, many of the items were nicer than described...

Same here for me exactly. I've sold a number of things with homeschoolclassifieds and from this forum and every single one has been a very positive transaction. Praying fervently that it continues, but will be sure to use caution considering what some have shared in this thread.

Blessings,

Lucinda

:iagree: I only use personal paypal on very rare occasion when I *really* recognize the seller & they've been here a long time, and if it is relatively inexpensive item. 90% of the time I use "purchase" paypal, but I do fund via non-cc, so fees are really quite low.

I never ask anyone to pay in a certain way other than requiring paypal only. I think it'd scare many folks off from a purchase. Personally, I will *only* purchase from someone using paypal b/c it is so convenient and b/c I'd have some recourse if the sale went sour. If someone asks for check or money order, I am skeptical that they are pulling a scam, as it would be very hard to get a refund. I would never pay any way other than paypal.

I have taken a check a couple times from people for relatively minor purchases and had no problems, but now I list my sales as paypal only. The risk of losing bank charges and the hassles that come with a bounced check, not to mention holding a sale for so long as it takes to get the check and have it clear are not worth the hassle, IMHO.

I also try to be diligent about using feedback. When I leave feedback, I send the person a message telling them I have done so & ask that they do the same if they can figure it out. Especially with newbies, I like to leave feedback to help them out, and I like to remind them to leave feedback since they probably don't know how yet. Many folks follow through when asked.

Edited by StephanieZ

I buy and sell on this board frequently, as well as on VegSource, DiaperSwappers, Amazon and eBay. My transactions have been overwhelmingly positive, with an occasional mishap.

On this board specifically, I've only had one item I never received, and we were in the middle of the move, and the seller bought DC which showed it delivered. I think it must have been stolen off my porch on a day we were away. So the seller was not at fault at all.

On a few occasions, I've purchased items and then find them not to be what I thought they would be. Usually this is due to my lack of familiarity with the product and not any obvious deception on the part of the seller.

Overall for me, buying and selling online is what you make of it- buying with caution, selling with care. I don't get burned buying online any more often than I get home with takeout to find that my fries are cold, or that I forgot a bag on the carousel at the grocery store, or a clothing item was mistagged so I have the wrong size. Mistakes happen, sometimes due to the carelessness of others, sometimes due to my own inattention, and sometimes due to malicious intent. But I can only think of a time or two I ever really felt cheated and had no recourse.

One of those times, on another board, I agreed to a trade with another seller. I sent my item to her, which had a value of around $30, but never received the item I'd traded for. I sent several PMs and emails with no response. I felt very cheated, especially since I really wanted the item I had traded for. But a week or so later, I checked the delivery confirmation on the item I had sent, and it made it as far as the post office in her hometown, but then was "lost in the mail." So... the item I sent never made it to her. And the P.O. never did find it. So, that seller probably thought I was the flake, claiming to have sent her something she'd never received, and having the audacity to pester her to send her end of the bargain. :lol:

Overwhelmingly, despite an occasional disappointment, I prefer to buy online for my own convenience and to help support fellow homeschoolers.

I don't either. Even if they post they only accept personal paypal I pay through the goods button. It is against Paypal rules to even list an item that way and I assume that they are unaware that they are scamming paypal when they do it and didn't mean to.

When I sell something I get tracking info and add it to the paypal transaction button, so there is delivery confirmation.

So far I have been lucky. I believe I actually bought something from someone who was banned for not shipping some items to other and I even got that order, but I did a gut check on that one :D and counted my lucky stars.

Although I appreciate you have reasons for being hesitant to purchase from someone "new" on this board, I feel the need to respond. :D With only 140 posts I appear to be "new"

I wouldn't consider you new.

I'd consider someone new who just joined and had a post or two. Or none! Over a hundred posts means you aren't just passing through.

Good grief. I just looked at the sellers' blog. It is all about how she wants to be a virtuous wife and mother and loves Jesus. Apparently that doesn't extend to buyers of her used curriculum.

I am in a stinky mood today about this whole thing. I NEED this curriculum and will have to just order it today new.

She hasn't been on this site for several months, but I do have her email and she is not responding. I have half a mind to make comments on her blog.

Dawn

My main rule is only purchase with business paypal. I have on occasion purchased with a check, but it was in amounts I could afford to loose if it went sour. Usually if I need curriculum that is expensive and I am buying it used, I purchase it from ebay or amazon knowing I can get my money back 100%.

On another board I made a trade with another poster. I felt extremely safe in the trade because the poster had over 1000 posts. She failed to send my half of the trade. After several emails with no response , I posted on the forum a thread asking her to respond. When she still did not respond I posted anther thread stating why I wanted her to respond. The public message of her not fulfilling her side of the bargain was what did it. I got my trade. I did post the trade was complete after I received my things.

Good grief. I just looked at the sellers' blog. It is all about how she wants to be a virtuous wife and mother and loves Jesus. Apparently that doesn't extend to buyers of her used curriculum.

I am in a stinky mood today about this whole thing. I NEED this curriculum and will have to just order it today new.

She hasn't been on this site for several months, but I do have her email and she is not responding. I have half a mind to make comments on her blog.

Dawn

I would comment there, as long as her blog is being updated regularly. It doesn't have to be mean, but just something like "Hi--I'm still waiting on XYZ that I purchased from you 3 months ago. Please contact me immediately so we can resolve this matter."

Don't forget to leave her negative feedback here :grouphug:.

I add delivery confirmation to everything I sell because it costs 19c when the label is printed online/electronically (through paypal, USPS shipping assistant, or the usps website). Makes me happier too.

Yeah, about that delivery confirmation: I used it as well for an order that included 2 items. Buyer said she got the package but that one item (the more expensive one, naturally) was missing. So someone opened my package without destroying the shipping label that was taped over the opening, removed one item, taped it back up and sent it on its way??? I sent her $20 back and told her to enjoy the bookS.

This is why I do not sell on this board any more. I would rather give my used materials away than let someone steal them.

Terri

The person that ripped off so many here and on another board appeared to be OK she had at least 275 posts and 2 positive ratings yet she still did this and this was not her first time, she has had other names on this board(2 others that I have seen:confused:)

:svengo: Wish I would have known she had 2 other names BEFORE I sent my money! :glare:

Did none of you get your $$ back?

I remember that.

Dawn

The person that ripped off so many here and on another board appeared to be OK she had at least 275 posts and 2 positive ratings yet she still did this and this was not her first time, she has had other names on this board(2 others that I have seen:confused:)

I did read that thread. I was hoping it was resolved.

Sorry.

Dawn

I did not get anything from this person. No response to emails or PM's, no school materials and no refund. She did try to post snide remarks about how bad WE all were but they were deleted.

She hasn't been around since Dec. and says she is now sending her kids to school so she isn't hsing. Don't know if I am allowed to name names, but I don't think you have to worry about her with sales.

Dawn

Is she still on this board? Can you name names? Please?

I will be selling materials and buying for next year soon. It would be nice to know what names to avoid.

Sue