Menu

Did you know that...(CC, I suppose)

What is legalism? The term most people use is quite different than the legalism of the Bible. I found this and found it interesting....

"There is a false definition of legalism and a Biblical definition. In the thinking of most Christians, any presentation of Christianity which maintains standards, practices separation from the world and has a code of conduct is guilty of legalism. This notion is expressed in the liberal Dictionary of Philosophy which defines legalism as “The insistence on a strict literal or overt observance of certain rules of conduct, or the belief that there are rules which must be so obeyed.†Christians who decry legalism invariably turn to the book of Galatians for a Scriptural indictment of legalism. Galatians is the book that speaks against legalism and warns believers not to let themselves be put under the law. But this “legalism†described and written against the Galatians is not the legalism spoken against today. The Biblical concept of legalism is far different. Biblical “legalism†was the teaching advanced by some of the Jewish community which insisted that it was necessary to keep some of the law of Moses in order to gain salvation. To them salvation was gained by faith in Christ and observing the legal system of Moses. Webster properly defines legalism in this way as “the doctrine of salvation by good works.†Paul wrote the Galatian epistle to counteract such legalism and make it plain that salvation was by faith alone, without the deeds of the law. “...a man is not justified by the works of the law†(2:16); “...if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain†(2:21); “...that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident...†(3:11); “...if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law†(3:21); “...the law as our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith†(3:24). Against this backdrop of maintaining that legal observances have nothing to do with our salvation Paul exhorts, “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage†(5:1). Let us be clear. The legalism which the apostle opposed was that thinking which made the observance of the law a condition of salvation.

Certainly no Bible believing Baptist teaches that law-keeping is part of salvation. We are saved by faith alone. The works of the law do not and cannot either help us gain salvation or help us keep salvation. Salvation is all of grace—none of works. For anyone to accuse us of being legalists then is either to deliberately distort our position on salvation or else to abandon the Biblical concept of legalism and adopt the modern notion advanced by the moderns."

So, is obeying the Scriptures legalism? Only if you think it brings salvation. Salvation is through grace, but I still have to live a holy life that is pleasing to God. My goal is to become more Christ-like. :)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, is obeying the Scriptures legalism? Only if you think it brings salvation. Salvation is through grace, but I still have to live a holy life that is pleasing to God. My goal is to become more Christ-like. :)

I'm on my way out the door but just wanted to say that for years and years I held that legalism was anything that added to justification. But, now I understand that it is also anything that adds to sanctification.

Sanctification is by the same grace as justification.

All of us should desire to become more Christ like but it doesn't come through our works. It comes by grace.:)

Agreed!!! :) :)

I am seeing a trend though, of "anything" goes under the blanket of grace. That is the other extreme. Balance, its all about balance. And taking care of the plank in our eye before worrying about someone's speck or splinter in theirs. :)

I'm on my way out the door but just wanted to say that for years and years I held that legalism was anything that added to justification. But, now I understand that it is also anything that adds to sanctification.

All of us should desire to become more Christ like but it doesn't come through our works. It comes by grace.:)

:iagree:

What is wrong with wine????? :blink:

I don't know anything about this site, but here's an example of what many churches teach about drinking wine. They also often teach that the wine mentioned in the Bible was actually unfermented grape juice (even though Thomas Welch didn't invent the process for making it until the 1800s, but I digress).

Has anyone seen Lord, Save Us From Your Followers? Awesome documentary, highly recommend it! It's really made DH and I think (well, that, along with the kerfluffle and some other issues) about what Christianity is *supposed* to be versus what it appears to be today. And it's on instant queue on Netflix. :)

I actually did see this movie. It brought tears to my eyes 3 or 4 different times...especially when the lady was saying, "where would Jesus be right now if he were here...he would be washing the feet of the homeless." And the gay confessional booth was pretty heart-wrenching- especially when one of the men started crying. It was a really good documentary.

Copswife - the trend you're referring to is not new. I know what you're saying. Didn't Dietrich Bonhoeffer call it Cheap Grace?

Remembering that documentary is making me all teary. :glare:

I'm learning that legalism is so incredibly prevalent and that it can be worse than license.

....I know I come off as wretchedly strong, perhaps shrill sometimes, especially in the last kerfluffle. I'm really not. I get incredibly angry on behalf of people like you, who have to bear this irrational judgment of others. I can't deal with my conscience if I don't stand up against it. The sword cuts both ways, it slices the person judged, and (in ignorance) it slices the person wielding the sword.

Legalism is the smiling mask on fear.

Edited by justamouse

And the problem is what starts out as harmless separation from the world (No modern secular music, women should dress modestly), quickly spirals downward into one group abusing the rest and controlling them through religion (No music at all except hymns or classical, women MUST wear dresses or they're not welcome). It's a fast moving slippery slope that our family flees from. We don't teach that "anything goes," but if it's not specifically in the Bible under the new covenant, we believe it's open for interpretation and is between the believer and the Lord.

Dorinda

Now, I'm wondering if the Catholic church also offers grape juice, in addition to wine.

And, I hijacked your thread. SORRY! :grouphug: I have to do my taxes, renew my license plates, mow and clean the house. But, I'd much rather chat with you guys! You all are so much more interesting!

:auto:

My guess would be no since there were stories a few years back about wheat and allergies. The host must be made from wheat and not rice.

I don't know anything about this site, but here's an example of what many churches teach about drinking wine. They also often teach that the wine mentioned in the Bible was actually unfermented grape juice (even though Thomas Welch didn't invent the process for making it until the 1800s, but I digress).

And if it was not wine as we know it, why would the Bible say "do not be drunk with wine?"

Guest CarolineUK
....I know I come off as wretchedly strong, perhaps shrill sometimes, especially in the last kerfluffle. I'm really not. I get incredibly angry on behalf of people like you, who have to bear this irrational judgment of others. I can't deal with my conscience if I don't stand up against it. The sword cuts both ways, it slices the person judged, and (in ignorance) it slices the person wielding the sword.

Some of us love it when you get angry :D

Your sword slices straight to the point.

The last Mass I went to had 2 lines, one for wine and one for juice. The one for wine went straight up the center aisle, the one for juice was much smaller, and went behind the altar.

That was a Catholic Mass? I have never heard of it. From what I recall, using juice would be against the GIRM (General Instruction of the Roman Missal.) They do allow mustum if the priest is an alcoholic, but this is only with dispensation from the bishop and the priest is the only one who receives this, since he is the only one who is obligated to take under both species (bread and wine.) All others would have the option of taking the wine or not.

Well, one person's "legalism" is another person's trip down a Bad Path. I think it's just as dangerous to whitewash it all in the name of non-legalism.

From a Christian point of view (and what do I know, I'm a garden-variety Catholic), What Would Jesus Recommend?

Twilight?

I'm guessing, no.

But, there's probably plenty of stuff I need to wean myself from for similar reasons.

:ohmy:

:grouphug:

:lol:

We are experiencing this too. I commented to my DH today that I don't know what scares me more, my children leaving the church, or my children turning to legalism.

this has come to my mind lately also. . . how sad is that???

wow. . . agreeing and pondering. . . it's fear of failure(to 'get it right') and

I'm also seeing it as a spiritual laziness sometimes. We're supposed to be led by the Spirit not the flesh and that takes time, quiet and a hearing heart. Easier just to make up a list of rules for myself. . . (can you tell I'm untangling from legalism too?)

And the problem is what starts out as harmless separation from the world (No modern secular music, women should dress modestly), quickly spirals downward into one group abusing the rest and controlling them through religion (No music at all except hymns or classical, women MUST wear dresses or they're not welcome). It's a fast moving slippery slope that our family flees from. We don't teach that "anything goes," but if it's not specifically in the Bible under the new covenant, we believe it's open for interpretation and is between the believer and the Lord.

Dorinda

My son (ds just-turned-16) was really ticked that the girls complain all the time about how randy the boys are, and how "all they can think about...." and yet girls are just as vocal and just as lusty as the guys. He was explaining to me the shirts-off-lust-fest he had just endured when seeing Twilight with a group of friends. (He has declined further invites as the sequels have come out.)

His take was that, aside from the eye candy, the girls liked the movie because there's nothing better than a good cry over star-crossed lovers, and that many of the girls empathized since many of them had experienced unrequited emotional attachments. Dh countered with his view, that the movie was really about being unequally yoked. (Not that either of the lovers was a believer...)

I was proud of my men-folk; they're both insightful.

Did anyone see the 20/20 show last night about IFB's? I realize not everyone is a radical but I've been in a couple of the radical ones. Not only would "Soul Surfer" not be a prudent choice, it was a sin to go the the theater at all. Same with books. Fiction wasn't an option.

You do not have a consistent walk with the Lord if you read Twilight, go to see the new movie Soul Surfer, etc.?:glare::glare: You have bad judgement, are a compromiser and may not even be a Christian at all.:glare::glare:

I just want to say that I'm sorry for ever thinking or saying anything to or about anyone that would indicated that I think my own personal convictions are the gold standard.

I'm sick of legalism! I regret that I was ever caught up in it.

I'm frustrated! That is all!;)

Thanks for the rant.

I hear you. We used to be belong to a much stricter church. We even had people telling us that they were only ones of this generation that would receive the Kingdom. :confused:

I have my beliefs, but how do I really know what God considers essential? And why is it so difficult to avoid extremes?

Actually, I did think it was kind of funny...mostly that instead of going to my website and reading my books/articles/blogs, someone decided it would be easier to type the question into Google.

It's like a whole new definition of legalism. "What does Google say?"

SWB

You can have plastic bracelets made up. :p WWGS? Some erasers, too, that Oriental Trading can sell.

As to the OP, I have a "friend" who is appalled that my daughter and I like Harry Potter, but she lets her dd (same age as my oldest) watch Twilight. I just told her that she can make her decisions and we will make ours. I really wish people would mind their own darn business.

Originally Posted by Susan Wise Bauer viewpost.gif

OK, I have to show you this. A friend sent me a screenshot of this. Actual question on one of those Web info sites. I like the answer

God is on the internet now???? With 'yes' and 'no' answers to questions like that? Dare I google my own name with that question? What if it says no? Who do I speak to to have that changed? :D

As far as legalism goes, it would be so much nicer if people would be concerned about THEMSELVES as opposed to OTHERS when it comes to legalism, but it never works that way. Legalism only goes/points one way......

What I mean is that some people who have drinking issues know they can not ever touch alcohol again. Obviously one communion cup is not going to make someone drunk, but if you're trying to abstain completely from alcohol it's a grey area.

The churches I've attended always use those little communion cups and served grape juice.

I grew up in the Episcopal church, where real wine was used. It was made very clear that you were fully participating in the sacrament and it "counted" if you chose to only take the bread & abstained from the wine or vice versa.

Our priest explained the alcohol thing this way:

- if you are going to drink & drive & endanger others, then for you, consuming alcohol is a sin

- if you are going to drink & then beat up your spouse, then for you, consuming alcohol is a sin

- if you consume alcohol to excess and it interferes with your normal life/responsibilities, then for you, consuming alcohol is a sin

- if you have reason to believe you may be/may become an alcoholic, then for you, consuming alcohol is a sin

- etc.

A nightly glass of wine enjoyed on the sofa with my hubby isn't a sin! :)

Edited by MeganW

As to the OP, I have a "friend" who is appalled that my daughter and I like Harry Potter, but she lets her dd (same age as my oldest) watch Twilight. I just told her that she can make her decisions and we will make ours. I really wish people would mind their own darn business.

Wouldn't it be nice........

If you want the opposite of legalism, you gotta love sinners. (Yes, it helps when we acknowledge we are the biggest sinner out there too). If you're wondering how to do that you might want to check out Doug Pollock's resouces. He has a website GodsGPS and is on FB too.

Agreed!!! :) :)

I am seeing a trend though, of "anything" goes under the blanket of grace. That is the other extreme. Balance, its all about balance. And taking care of the plank in our eye before worrying about someone's speck or splinter in theirs. :)

When I was a teenager, I worked at my grandfather's church. His ministry attracted some strange people. I had a guy tell me once that even if he killed his wife, he would go to heaven because it is all covered under grace. All I could say was, "Uh, why would you want to kill your wife? So grace can further abound?" Yes, that is an issue too!

It seems legalism's only purpose is to feed the sin of pride. Funny how legalists never have a problem with what they are doing themselves. It's only what other people are doing. I've gotten criticism for allowing my dds to wear toenail polish. Apparently I'm teaching them to be hussies. Whatever. :)

I've gotten criticism for allowing my dds to wear toenail polish. Apparently I'm teaching them to be hussies. Whatever. :)

Whoever thinks toenail polish causes girls to become hussies, tell them I have a bridge to sell 'em.

Sometimes distance is a good thing. I've learned that some people just want SOMETHING to point towards as...bad...so that they can feel good. I've had the strangest reactions from some of the most benign things. :confused:

True. Mind if I quote you? You describe it beautifully!

Actually, I did think it was kind of funny...mostly that instead of going to my website and reading my books/articles/blogs, someone decided it would be easier to type the question into Google.

SWB

Creepy!:glare:

You didn't think you were asking for this when you wrote TWTM, did you?:svengo: Keep taking the high road!:grouphug:

I think Jesus overruled the legalism idea...it seemed like he was constantly "breaking the rules". There's tons of examples...the woman who had committed adultery, complaints that he and the disciples didn't wash their hands before eating (I can't remember where this was - Mark, maybe?), working on the Sabbath, there's a point where Jesus says that the religious leaders complained that he eats too much, drinks too much and enjoys friends...

I just don't think Jesus cares if you want to read a Harry Potter novel. I think being judgmental or self-righteous might be much worse than watching the surfing movie. I also think the American-Christian legalism is damaging Christianity and causing people to go off the deep end.

When I read the New Testament, it seems like Jesus is overwhelmingly concerned with compassion for other people, helping our fellow man and alleviating suffering. NONE of us measure up in this department.

Oh well...Feel free to ignore me. :tongue_smilie:

I'm sorry that happened to you.

Not ignoring you...what you said makes perfect sense. There are some ppl I *know* not to mention what we do/don't watch/read b/c they automatically judge.

Btw, my oldest has read 5/7 HP books and he reads many other books that very conservative Christians would probably gaf at, but the boy has a heart for Jesus and it shows. Does he sin? Yes. Is he *trying* to better himself according to God's Word...YES. That's what matters in my eyes. He's 10 yrs old btw and just an awsome kid.

OK, I have to show you this. A friend sent me a screenshot of this. Actual question on one of those Web info sites. I like the answer. :glare:

attachment.php?attachmentid=4975&d=1302391969

Oh for heaven's sake!:001_huh: Some people need to just get a life and focus on themselves!:lol:

My mom and I have talked quite a lot about this. It's all about Me, and My salvation, and since you are not like Me, you are not saved.

Some folks seem to take great delight in putting a limit on the number of bodies who get to heaven. Is heaven just one more gated community with outrageous HOA fees?

When I was a teenager, I worked at my grandfather's church. His ministry attracted some strange people. I had a guy tell me once that even if he killed his wife, he would go to heaven because it is all covered under grace. All I could say was, "Uh, why would you want to kill your wife? So grace can further abound?" Yes, that is an issue too!

It seems legalism's only purpose is to feed the sin of pride. Funny how legalists never have a problem with what they are doing themselves. It's only what other people are doing. I've gotten criticism for allowing my dds to wear toenail polish. Apparently I'm teaching them to be hussies. Whatever. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

If you want the opposite of legalism, you gotta love sinners. (Yes, it helps when we acknowledge we are the biggest sinner out there too).

Exactly what Jesus wants.

My mom and I have talked quite a lot about this. It's all about Me, and My salvation, and since you are not like Me, you are not saved.

Some folks seem to take great delight in limiting the kingdom of heaven.

:iagree::iagree:

Well said!

You can have plastic bracelets made up. :p WWGS? Some erasers, too, that Oriental Trading can sell.

I withdrew from a grad level "research methods" course after reading inthe syllabus that the instructor expected students to use Wikipedia as a primary source. Wikipedia! Maybe SWB ought to double check what her entry there says...

A

Obviously the girl in Soul Surfer wasn't Christian enough either. :glare:

I read Harry Potter. That's even worse than Twilight. :D

Its funny that you should mention HP. While visiting a friend in NC last spring, we were told how Twilight was so awful and even evil. Without her ever even reading the books or watching it, this was decided by my friend and her extended family. One day while we were there, she asked if she could watch it- we had our copy with on vacation cuz we dont leave home without it. :D She was curious about it since I watch it and allow my kids to watch it. She watched it and said how she enjoyed it but that it reminded her of Satan. :001_huh: Ummmm, ok- whatever. Then she asked if we could watch New Moon. Uh-huh, sure I said. But the thing I dont understand is why its okay to be involved with anything Harry Potter? The idea of vampires, the way they are in the Twilight series is fantasy. Witchcraft is practiced by many in todays world and according to the Bible is to be avoided at all costs. I dont get it and I am glad the OP has had this realization. :001_smile:

Well, the Duggars we are not! We wear regular "worldly" swim suits, although mine gets more and more modest with weight gain and things saggin! :lol:

We read and watch HP.

We personally don't care for the Twilight saga, but that is personal preference.

We have a TV, I wear jeans, dance and oh, and I drink wine and occasionally something stronger!

I still love Jesus.

Dawn

SWB

Hm, this is a different form of what I was complaining about on my facebook this past week. WHY do you let some pretty-faced-non-journalist tell you what to think? It is sad to me that in this information age people are *lazy* and unwilling to discern fact from fiction.

But the thing I dont understand is why its okay to be involved with anything Harry Potter? The idea of vampires, the way they are in the Twilight series is fantasy. Witchcraft is practiced by many in todays world and according to the Bible is to be avoided at all costs. I dont get it and I am glad the OP has had this realization. :001_smile:

Because Harry Potter is nothing but fantasy. It has no basis in reality. It has nothing to do with witchcraft of the real variety.