Menu

Help me understand this...

Today at church (I attended a ladies only Bible study during the "Sunday School" time) and there was a lady crocheting.

I don't crochet. Would love to figure it out-- just haven't made that happen yet. But, IF I did crochet, would I in a church? I don't think so. Although maybe it helps with her concentration... if it does then I should adopt this hobby ASAP for my 9 year old boy.

Am I too old fashioned? Am I missing something here? Did ladies take their crocheting to church a hundred years ago? Is that much different than playing a video game during church?

Too old fashioned (or too new fangled),

Today at church (I attended a ladies only Bible study during the "Sunday School" time) and there was a lady crocheting.

I don't crochet. Would love to figure it out-- just haven't made that happen yet. But, IF I did crochet, would I in a church? I don't think so. Although maybe it helps with her concentration... if it does then I should adopt this hobby ASAP for my 9 year old boy.

Am I too old fashioned? Am I missing something here? Did ladies take their crocheting to church a hundred years ago? Is that much different than playing a video game during church?

Too old fashioned (or too new fangled),

Sometimes doing something like that helps people to concentrate.. isn't that a specific learning style?

I'm not sure that crochet and video games are comparable, really - at least for me, I could crochet and talk to someone at the same time, but I couldn't play a video or computer game and have a sensible conversation; my mind would be too busy thinking about the game.

What was she crocheting? A lot of people at our church crochet during Sunday School, but they're working on prayer shawls for our church to give ailing members of our congregation. They think being surrounded by the prYers and fellowship helps with the qualities a prayer shawl should have.

If I am just listening to something, it absolutely helps me concentrate. Not counting and doing fancy stuff, but just cooking along.

You are too new-fangled. To me old fashioned is the woman who always is doing something. My mother knitted and my father tinkered all the time, even in front of the TV, until they were rather old, and financially secure.

I wouldn't compare it to playing a video game, not at all.

I'd happily hand my son (any of them who needed it) a pad of paper and a pencil or crayon, to use either for note taking or quiet drawing/doodling. I myself doodle often during church, be that the Bible Study/Sunday School portion or the worship service. It does help me concentrate.

I would never allow my boys, any of them, to take a hand-held video game into church (or any other situation where the noise of a video game would distract others, and where I wanted them to at least have a chance at paying attention). I would not, for example, read some other book during church, either.

But if she crochets often, so much so that it has become an easy thing to keep her hands busy w/o needing her mind focusing on it 100% to keep going, then I see nothing wrong with it at all.

What was she crocheting? A lot of people at our church crochet during Sunday School, but they're working on prayer shawls for our church to give ailing members of our congregation. They think being surrounded by the prYers and fellowship helps with the qualities a prayer shawl should have.

Our congregation in Chicago actually used to do this. They were a group of old ladies and they called themselves the "sewing circle". :D

Also, a Bible study class is not a Divine Service...so, it wouldn't raise any eyebrows in our church.

No offense, but I wish I could think of something to do during teaching time. I have a hard time listening to people talk if they dwell on topics and repeat themselves a lot. I find this to be commonplace in pastors and such. I often feel like the person could have condensed what he said into 10-15 minutes instead of 30.

One week, I browsed over the definitions in the back of my son's Bible.

I also have a hard time listening to people read aloud. I just have to see the words.

I have a real hard time sitting still do nothing as well. One of the reasons I like schooling in the kitchen is because I can clean something if Ben takes a long time on a worksheet. I feel like I'm going crazy if I just sit next to him and wait. But, he does much better if I am in the room with him. :ack2:

If I am just listening to something, it absolutely helps me concentrate. Not counting and doing fancy stuff, but just cooking along.

You are too new-fangled. To me old fashioned is the woman who always is doing something. My mother knitted and my father tinkered all the time, even in front of the TV, until they were rather old, and financially secure.

:iagree:

Just sitting, listening, & doing nothing else would have seemed like a luxury, I think, a hundred years ago. And it makes no sense. If there's a way you can make more of your time, why wouldn't you?

I know it bugs some people, but...that seems too much like minding someone else's business & pretty harsh. I don't mean to offend, but as a teen, I had an older woman next to me in church take sewing away from me. I was too young to think what to do or say, but now that I'm older? Oh. my. gosh. is all I can say politely.

Very interesting. I think I may have to learn this art!

She was making squares. (Hot pads perhaps? or squares to a larger blanket?) Either way, she was able to participate and I guess few (no one other than me) were distracted by it.

I like the comparison to doodling. :-) The great thing is that she was a young lady (thirty-something).

Thanks for the input.

New-fangled (yet somehow not hip),

:-)

I know it bugs some people, but...that seems too much like minding someone else's business & pretty harsh. I don't mean to offend, but as a teen, I had an older woman next to me in church take sewing away from me. I was too young to think what to do or say, but now that I'm older? Oh. my. gosh. is all I can say politely.

I think harsh might have been to say, "There's no place for something like this..." Just wanted to understand why someone would do this. For me, I enjoy sitting and listening quietly. I honestly wanted to understand why. Not judge.

My friend who taught me to knit began a campaign in her church to allow knitting during the service. At the time, I was very new to knitting and didn't really understand. Now I do.

I have a hard time just sitting still. I need to *do something*. Knitting (and crocheting, though I do lace, which requires concentration), are perfect. I can still listen, and participate and not feel like a squirmy 6 yo. It has become fairly common in my homeschoolling circles to see a woman or 2 working on a knit piece at any gathering or children's activity. Sometimes, I'm one of the knitters--though less often now that I have a toddler requiring my hands, arms and attention.

There are meditation groups that use knitting as a meditation. It's very similar to mala beads -which are not unlike a rosary. I prefer knitting to mala beads. With the beads, my mind someitmes wanders. The action and counting of knitting and crochet are much easier for me to focus on.

Prayer shawls are specificly chosen (simple, common designs) for their repetitive patterns which require little concentration and much rhythmic work to allow the mind to focus on the intended recipient. The idea is that you pray for the recipient, who is sick, grieving, dying, or in need of spiritual support for any other reason, while you work on the piece. The piece then (symbolicly or actually) becomes imbued with the qualities for which one has prayed during the making of the shawl. I knit one for my mother in her final days. My hope was that it would bring her comfort in her passing. As it turned out, it arrived just before she passed. Our last conversation-the last she ever had- was her thanking me for it, and assuring me that she would be fine. She died within hours. I like to think that it worked.

Edited by strawberrymama

I would not bring a crochet project to a worship service. It has nothing to do with my ability to concentrate on the sermon while my hands are busy. For me, that time is for God and I set aside everything else to worship. Also, it can be a distraction to those around me (as may be evident by this thread).

I can crochet and watch a movie and actually seem to retain more of it (I guess because I'm primarily listening). I seem to "space" more if I'm watching and listening to a lecture, but if I can use my hands and doodle or crochet (without counting stitches) yes, I comprehend and retain more. I guess I'm not good at active listening or is my brain so jazzed up all the time that by working one side (crocheting) the other side can pay attention????

I have learned that if I do not bring some sort of handiwork, I will either chew my fingernails until they bleed (literally) or fall asleep. Either way, I have a terrible time paying attention. Doing a little crochet or cross-stitch absolutely makes it possible for me to hear, pay attention, and benefit.

I do bring my handiwork to worship service, too. I never, ever work on it while singing or praying--I take it out to work on during the sermon. If I didn't, I would receive little to no benefit from the sermon.

Okay, so our church was a pretty hipster church with mostly young families, young singles, and college students. One of the gals started bringing her knitting into church. Pretty soon, my then-tween boys were bringing knitting to church. I'm just thinking that they are some pretty secure renaissance guys and let it go. It did help them to be doing something with their hands while their Daddy was preaching!

OP, I would find it distracting as well. Would I say or do anything about, no.

We used to attend a church where every Wednesday service there was a lady knitting. I was highly distracted because I could hear hear her needles click. Click, click, click, it nearly drove me nuts.

One of the reasons I like schooling in the kitchen is because I can clean something if Ben takes a long time on a worksheet. I feel like I'm going crazy if I just sit next to him and wait. But, he does much better if I am in the room with him. :ack2:

Me too!!! We have a whole school/play room upstairs but we now do all our school in the kitchen.

OP, I would find it distracting as well. Would I say or do anything about, no.

We used to attend a church where every Wednesday service there was a lady knitting. I was highly distracted because I could hear hear her needles click. Click, click, click, it nearly drove me nuts.

I find it distracting, too. A women who had her seat in front of me always knitted in theatre, during plays and concerts - the constant movement and the clicking was distracting to the people around her.

An old lady crocheting destracts from the word of the Lord?

Was she topless, or otherwise dressed immodestly?

Yarn is more interesting than salvation?

Yes, I find it distracting, regardless of the nature of the congregant's attire.

No, yarn is not more interesting than salvation. Neither are crying babies, overperfuming, toetapping/shaking one's leg, excessive yawning/sniffling/fidgeting, thermostat being set too high/low, etc. I'm pretty sure being "interested" in salvation doesn't mean that I have the ability to tune out everything in my environment besides my pastor.

I don't have a problem with young children bringing a quiet activity into the service, but that isn't necessary for most adults. I do not judge someone who believes/behaves differently, but *I* do not knit/crochet/etc. in service for that reason among others.

I would not bring a crochet project to a worship service. It has nothing to do with my ability to concentrate on the sermon while my hands are busy. For me, that time is for God and I set aside everything else to worship. Also, it can be a distraction to those around me (as may be evident by this thread).

I HAVE to bring something to church to do or I fall asleep, and thus get nothing out of the service. I can't crochet -- but more power to her if it helps her to get the most out of the service.

I think harsh might have been to say, "There's no place for something like this..." Just wanted to understand why someone would do this. For me, I enjoy sitting and listening quietly. I honestly wanted to understand why. Not judge.

This is just a raw spot for me. Even people saying that they think it's ok seems...like it's something questionable enough to be up for debate, kwim? I can't stand that people feel like they have to "get permission" for things like this.

I understand being distracted by some things. To be distracted by *sewing* seems...how about "surprising."

I'll refrain from feeding my kids pb 24hrs before going somewhere where someone's allergic. I'll adapt perfume, etc. Really, I'd rather be uncomfortable than make someone else uncomfortable. To me, though, being uncomfortable w/ someone else's sewing just crosses a line. Imagine if someone said they were distracted by someone else taking notes? In our western society, note-taking is acceptable, but sewing has somehow become something...private. :confused:

In any other environment, no one cares (although I know somebody will disagree). This is a purely legalistic issue, & at the heart of it, imo, is a misunderstanding of worship. Some people worship with song. Some people worship with burnt offerings. Some people worship with art.

No, everyone who is sewing in church is not doing it as an act of worship. Neither is everyone who is singing.

*sigh* I'm not saying this well, & I'm angry that it is necessary to defend this kind of thing (not nec. to OP, but to some people--on this thread, irl, wherever). I hope y'all aren't too mad at me. :001_huh:

*I* wouldn't, because I tend to take notes, but my sister would. And she would recall every bit of information shared during Sunday School or Worship Service. It baffles me how she can do amazing needle work and pay attention to something else at the same time, but she does it well.

The OP was asking for what the reason might be. Being able to concentrate and listen to the speaker is a very valid and honorable reason. I agree, Aubrey, that to put a barrier in front of a person being able to concentrate and listen to God's Word would be wrong. I disagree that the person crocheting would be putting a barrier in front of someone else. The movement of crocheting is quiet and small.

Several "little old ladies" in my very traditional Southern Baptist church crocheted during the sermon each week. While I found it odd (because I knew I would never be allowed to do that!), I totally understood their compulsion to do something while listening and found it refreshing and endearing that they felt comfortable enough to do it!

I am a doodler by nature. I must have SOMETHING to do with my hands or my brain other than just listen or I will completely lose focus. Just taking notes isn't enough--that is too focused on what I'm hearing. I have to be doing something different for it to work.

When I was in high school, my classmates teased me about not paying attention because I would draw during class. They tried to get me in trouble with the teacher but it would usually backfire when the teacher discovered I could repeat what had just been said verbatim, summarize it, and be ready to discuss relevant points :lol:.

My mom did draw the line when I tried to use a 24-pack of colored pencils during grammar class as it was becoming a distraction to my peers. We agreed upon a limit of 4 colors selected beforehand.:D I also discovered that my history teacher would tolerate origami folding, but not if I had to use scissors to cut the paper into a square first. Yeah, I was 17 and should have known better and deserved the detention I got for that one.:tongue_smilie:

In the Wed. night Bible study that I attend the leaders wife brings her knitting. She never misses a stitch nor a word of what is happening in our lesson/discussions. Actually our pastor's wife has brought knitting also.

Would I do this? No, as I would either drop stitches or not have a clue as to what was going on. In my opinion it is much different than a video game though. I do watch TV and knit but would never be able to watch tv and play a video game.

Yes, I find it distracting, regardless of the nature of the congregant's attire.

No, yarn is not more interesting than salvation. Neither are crying babies, overperfuming, toetapping/shaking one's leg, excessive yawning/sniffling/fidgeting, thermostat being set too high/low, etc. I'm pretty sure being "interested" in salvation doesn't mean that I have the ability to tune out everything in my environment besides my pastor.

I don't have a problem with young children bringing a quiet activity into the service, but that isn't necessary for most adults. I do not judge someone who believes/behaves differently, but *I* do not knit/crochet/etc. in service for that reason among others.

The OP said this happened during a Bible study - NOT during Worship Service.

Edited to say: Never in my life have I seen anyone take notes during a Service. Our Worship Service is like a workout - stand up, kneel, stand up, sit down, stand up again...and you have to juggle the bulletin with the catechism in it and the beginning of the Lutheran hymnal (with the liturgy) and the end of the Lutheran hymnal (with the hymn) and at some point, everybody goes up to the front.

Edited by starrbuck12

during church but it would impede notetaking and I think it would be frowned upon. I wouldn't mind if I saw someone else knitting.

If you knit continental style, it in no way impedes note-taking. I used to knit through all my college classes, and my pen was in my right hand along with my knitting needle - yarn and other needle in the left. I could just drop the needle, jot down my notes, and pick it right back up.

And it did help me from falling asleep - especially in those afternoon classes. :D

If you knit continental style, it in no way impedes note-taking. I used to knit through all my college classes, and my pen was in my right hand along with my knitting needle - yarn and other needle in the left. I could just drop the needle, jot down my notes, and pick it right back up.

And it did help me from falling asleep - especially in those afternoon classes. :D

:lol: I wish I had been a knitter in college! I think it would have helped me tremendously.

I have not read all the responses, but I would love to knit in church. It would help me a lot with being able to pay attention. Our pastor is a wonderful man, but his sermons are hard for me to follow. He stumbles over his words a lot and seems to preach on the same thing all the time as far as I can tell. Since we go to church at 8:15, I am not usually awake enough to sit there and pay full attention.

Alas, we attend a very small church, everyone could see me, and I'm sure it would not go over well. I never did try it in our old church because, frankly, I am just not interested in dealing with cranky people.

Anyhoo, I can see how it would really help someone like me to have something to do with their hands while trying to pay attention. I don't think she's doing it out of disrespect or anything.

The OP said this happened during a Bible study - NOT during Worship Service.

Ok, I missed that. Bible study is different in my opinion, and I've brought my knitting to a Bible study, I think....IIRC, it didn't work out so well for me personally.

Everyone should follow their own convictions. The OP asked for an opinion and I gave mine about myself.

Everyone should follow their own convictions. The OP asked for an opinion and I gave mine about myself.

Maybe you should ask Ken Ham :tongue_smilie:

(I'm sorry, couldn't resist. Seems like the newest forum game is to get his name into every thread at least once!)