Menu

If You Love WTM, SOTW or any SBW Stuff, Post Here

Right now, I'm obsessed with the audio lectures. I saw the link for the videos which started my addiction. It's all great but I really do think "rest time" is the most brilliant idea in the whole package. We started it a couple of weeks ago and it has transformed our lives and restored sanity. It made me want to hop on a flight to VA, take SWB a bottle of wine and say "Bless you bless you bless you!" lol!

Disclaimer: Do not EVER use rest time as an opportunity to go into a room, turn your back to the door and spend an hour on the phone with your mother. There is a risk that, if you have a little boy, he will sneak out to the kitchen and gather 5 varieties of vinegar and take them back to him room and commence his "mad scientist" play. That sort of takes the fun out of rest time. Just sayin'. It's better to use it to just read and enjoy the quiet...in a place where you can keep one eye on bedroom doors. ;)

Homeschooling in general has blessed my life and the lives of my family in more ways than I can ever count. Reading Susan's book, The Well Trained Mind, was an early source of inspiration that led me to believe that I could do this. We've enjoyed every product of hers that we've used and I do value her input.

I am so thankful that SWB spends weekends giving talks for people like me. The Real Child workshop... LOVED IT. Her writing workshops - I really should make sure to listen to these audios a few times a year to remind myself WHY I'm doing this!

Homeschooling in general has blessed my life and the lives of my family in more ways than I can ever count. Reading Susan's book, The Well Trained Mind, was an early source of inspiration that led me to believe that I could do this. We've enjoyed every product of hers that we've used and I do value her input.

This!!!! :iagree:

I love the scope of Story of the World. I myself always preferred English, French, and German medieval history. This series for elementary school has opened my eyes to other cultures in the same period. I consider WWE as SWB holding my hand and telling me it will be OK. My hands down favorite of the moment is the audio downloads. They serve as guidance and inspiration- especially for those days in which I want to throw in the towel!:lol:

Story of the World is the BEST history curriculum hands down! I LOVE it; my 8th grade son still gushes about how much he learns while just listening to his little sister's history. He asks why can't they use that history in 8th grade.

I also love FLL and WWE! It works.

I loved OPGTR. It worked. It was easy.

Thank you Susan and Peace Hill Press for making our homeschool journey so enjoyable.

:thumbup1:

Love it. I got to see SWB and Jessie in Maryland a few years ago too.

I don't always use all of the main materials suggested for any subject, but greatly appreciate all the resources listed, costs, addresses.

We enjoyed using SOTW Volume 1. :)

Edited by gingerh
clarification

I love SWB's materials. I also hope Dr. Enn's comes out with curricula for older kids soon:D

Dr. Enn? Who is this?

Btw, isn't SOTW for older kids too? My boys are just 7 and we're on SOTW 2, but don't they have two more rounds through SOTW 1, 2, 3, 4?

I'm not even sure how that works to be honest.

Alley

Where do I begin?!?!?! I bought WTM BEFORE we got our first! It was my 'light' reading on the trip to Vietnam! I feel like I've been homeschooling her since she came home, at 12 mos. And, as her parent, I guess i was, but I mean formally! But that was because of some therapies that we did. But it helped me flow right into homeschooling. There was no formal transition like "Today, we start Kindergarten" or anything like that.

I don't use her methods exactly. I am too unorganized. BUT, I am using WWE, and we used SOTW for 2 years. (I'm switching to MFW next year, as it suits my younger one MUCH better!!)

In addition, the forums here have kept me homeschooling. Talking to, sharing with, and listening to everybody has helped me tremendously!!!!!!

I'm glad you all mentioned the audio lectures. I'm going in search of them now!

Count me as an SWB enthusiast :001_smile:.

I was wishy washy about spending the time and money to go to the Greenville convention. I am SO glad I went. We are in our 7th year of homeschooling, and I was in desperate need of some inspiration. I was not disappointed. The lectures by SWB and Julie Bogart were more than worth it!!

DD2 cheered when the postman brought a copy of SOTW3 (we've already got the audio, but she wanted the book too) This evening, she read it in her free time.:D

We use other SWB resources, but I thought this story was the best illustration of how much we appreciate her contribution to our studies.

I just want to encourage everyone to read TWTM, to read it over again, and to use SOTW and OPGTR before looking around. :)

Sticking to the basics in TWTM and provided by PHP keeps homeschooling on the right track! Not re-reading TWTM and seeing what every other homeschooler that posts here does can be confusing.

I just want to encourage everyone to read TWTM, to read it over again, and to use SOTW and OPGTR before looking around. :)

Sticking to the basics in TWTM and provided by PHP keeps homeschooling on the right track! Not re-reading TWTM and seeing what every other homeschooler that posts here does can be confusing.

Oh... and watch the PHP videos on youtube, so helpful! And videos of Dr. Bauer on youtube. She is a great example of a fine historian and educator.

My boys and I have used a number of PHP products over the years and we have loved them all: TWTM, SOTW, FLL...

A few years ago I went to my one and only convention to hear Susan speak on teaching literature. She gave us all permission to toss our literature 'programs' and just read and discuss the books with our kids. What a blessing that was to my family!

These days I am slowly reading her History of the (Whole) World books. I so enjoy her style.