Menu

What are your wardrobe staples?

I was looking through my closet and realized two things 1) too many of my clothes are now ill-fitting and 2) too many of my clothes could also be found in a teenager's closet. Therefore, I think it's high time I started a little wardrobe remodeling, which brings me to ask, what are your grown-up wardrobe staples?

I was looking through my closet and realized two things 1) too many of my clothes are now ill-fitting and 2) too many of my clothes could also be found in a teenager's closet. Therefore, I think it's high time I started a little wardrobe remodeling, which brings me to ask, what are your grown-up wardrobe staples?

It depends on what you think is teenager clothing. All I wear is jeans and tshirts, which is what I see lots of teens wearing. I don't wear tank tops, a very popular fashion around here with teens, though I would if I didn't have a too-large chest and flabby upper arms. And I wear sneakers or moccasins. I loathe sandals. I don't show my toes to just anyone! :D

It depends on what you think is teenager clothing. All I wear is jeans and tshirts, which is what I see lots of teens wearing. I don't wear tank tops, a very popular fashion around here with teens, though I would if I didn't have a too-large chest and flabby upper arms. And I wear sneakers or moccasins. I loathe sandals. I don't show my toes to just anyone! :D

I am in my early twenties, so really, a lot of my wardrobe is serious teen gear.

There are a lot of good fashion blogs out there that are not full of high-end designer looks that'll break your bank. There are some for various ages and different styles, too. It might help to google around and see what fits your lifestyle.

That said, I have 2 basic wardrobes: 1 for work; 1 for home.

Work staples are: black or charcoal slacks, matching or coordinating jacket, another good blazer or jacket, good white blouse, a couple of silk blouses in a nice print, colourful scarves and accessories.

Home staples are: dark jeans, a good pair of khakis, turtleneck sweaters, long-sleeved and short sleeved t-shirts, a couple of fitted cotton blazers, funky accessories.

When home clothes get worn out or stained beyond repair they become chore clothes.

The key is that everything needs to fit well. When it doesn't you look frumpy and old (if it's too big) or cheap and trying too hard (if it's too tight).

skirts or skorts--1" above the knee

plain v-necked t-shirts, any color

dark jeans

gauzy, long-sleeved tunic-styled shirts or fitted henleys

hoodies

basic sandals, knee-high boots, tennis shoes

This is such a individual thing though. I spend most of the summer in t-shirts and skorts and most of the winter in jeans with a hoodie or henley. And I'm 38.

Winter:

Jeans

"Nice" t-shirts (fitted with some kind of detail, a gather, or ruffle, etc.)

Cardigan sweaters - this year I have 2 longer sweaters with no buttons that I wear all the time.

Flats, Boots, Vans

Summer:

Capris

The same "nice" t-shirts

Flip-flops

For home: jeans, t-shirts or knit tops, hoodies, Birkenstocks

For work: brown, green, khaki, and black slacks, cotton blouses, layering T's with cardigan sweaters (I have sage, ivory, black, and tan), with brown Mary Janes, black loafers, and sort of a gold color loafer flats (can't wear Birks to work). I can mix and match a lot.

For church: khaki, green, black skirts, paired with whatever tops I use for work, one pair bone heels, one pair black heels, black or neutral hose.

For me now, jeans (higher waist and slimmer fit if I can find them - currently Levi's); mock-necks (I have no chin) for winter with just a hint of stretch, longer in length; and a sweater or jacket to go over this, with a coordinating longer scarf of some kind.

I wear more woven tops and tees in warmer weather.... I've gotten really fat, though, since going through menopause, and have to get back on some kind of reasonable diet plan for myself or I'm not going to have anything that fits!

1) Jeans, dark and light, low-rise, somewhat flared

2) T-Shirts

4) zip up sweaters in various colors

5) My sarongs (they can be short or long skirts, or a sundress)

6) A pair of Sketchers Sassies in Natual and Black

7) Really good sneakers

9) A pair of canvas espadrilles in Natural and Black

10) tan/beige capri pants

13) a few well fitting, button up shirts

11) camisoles

12) sunglasses

Wow, that's bizarre - I don't even own any jeans.

For essentials, it really depends on the style you want. I'm 38 and not religous. All I have are skirts: a few dark, a tan, and a tweed. The skirts are all about knee length. They look different depending on the shoes: boots, sandals, flats. If it's cold, I wear dark tights. For tops, generally nice v-neck tops or sweaters.

Although I recently found a pair of yoga pants that I've been living in.

Thanks for all of the responses! Love the "No Crocs!" picture. I own a pair. I tried to like them because of the comfort, but I just can't bring myself to wear them.

Ladies who mostly wear skirts: what do you pair with the skirts? I love the idea of wearing lots of A-line skirts, but I always feel like the appropriate tops make skirts too dressy for daily wear and that makes me sad (I wore ruffled, frilly, usually pink dresses every single day as a small child, to my mother's great annoyance).

I'm about to Google Tim Gunn's essentials now. :D

skirts or skorts--1" above the knee

plain v-necked t-shirts, any color

dark jeans

gauzy, long-sleeved tunic-styled shirts or fitted henleys

hoodies

basic sandals, knee-high boots, tennis shoes

This is such a individual thing though. I spend most of the summer in t-shirts and skorts and most of the winter in jeans with a hoodie or henley. And I'm 38.

You must have looked in my closet! Same clothes, same age!! :)

Ladies who mostly wear skirts: what do you pair with the skirts? I love the idea of wearing lots of A-line skirts, but I always feel like the appropriate tops make skirts too dressy for daily wear and that makes me sad (I wore ruffled, frilly, usually pink dresses every single day as a small child, to my mother's great annoyance).

t-shirts, tanks, and hoodies for the most part.

and crocs. :p

Thanks for all of the responses! Love the "No Crocs!" picture. I own a pair. I tried to like them because of the comfort, but I just can't bring myself to wear them.

I'm about to Google Tim Gunn's essentials now. :D

With my casual skirts, I can almost always wear the same top I would with jeans. For instance, I have a khaki knee-length skirt that I can pair with almost any 'nice' T-shirt. I feel much better and think I look nicer than I would in the same outfit but with jeans. ;)

My essentials are:

khaki skirt, navy (or denim) skirt, black skirt (one long, one shorter)

two or three nicer solid colored tops, one print

black, red and blue sweaters

one pair of active shoes that match everything (currently Mary Janes from Eddie Bauer) and one pair of nicer shoes that match everything (currently brown flats from Kohl's) and black knee-high boots for winter.

I always have a black skirt, black 1 inch heel pumps and a black purse. Usually a black raincoat. Then I can put a colorful or dressy top/blouse/sweater with them. It is very versatile. Also a pair of nice black pants and nice black jeans can expand it from casual to dressy.

Summer- 2 pairs of blue jeans, one pair of denim shorts, several light cotton pairs of pants, cotton skirts, cotton long dresses and cotton tops. A range of colours, mostly bright and light colours.

Winter- 2 pairs of blue jeans :) , several other pairs of different coloured jeans, a dozen various coloured long sleeved tshirts, and a collection of unique and beautiful "sweaters" (we call them woollen jumpers here). And a few jackets. I mix and match, basically, and have a good colourful scarf collection to top off any combination of jeans, tee, and sweater.

I wear a lot of mid-length skirts, mostly black or brown. I wear them with tanks for casual wear or dressier stretch material tops for dressy days (I am nursing). I just got a few at TJMaxx and Kohls. I don't even own jeans, and for me, t-shirts are only for night wear at home. I also don't wear pants unless it is freezing...very rare in AZ. And that includes for mountain hikes. If it matters, I am 34 and not religious.

Days off work in winter: Jeans, Eddie Bauer t-shirts (no prints), micro fleece Northface zip jacket (aubergine or black in color), black leather Merrill Mary Jane shoes.

Work: Black dress pants, black Eddie Bauer sweater.

Do pjs count?

My basics have fluctuated greatly over my life. When I was a teen I wore jeans and nice shirts. As a young working adult I wore skirts, women's style suit pants or suits and nice blouses (I didn't even own jeans). Then I moved on to my mom wardrobe of jeans and t-shirts. I have currently reached a point where jeans are no longer very comfortable and I am looking for stylish but comfortable options. It's funny because my oldest two children remember when I didn't even own jeans and my youngest have rarely seen me in anything but jeans. If you talked to them seperately you would think that they had totally different moms.

Black pants

Jeans -one pair

Black pencil skirt

Grey knit yoga pants

Khaki crop pants

Black 60's (Ad Men type) Jumper

Linen jumper

Little Black dress

Print afternoon day dress

Print summer sun dress

White dress blouse

White shirt

White tee shirts - short, 3/4, long sleeve

Other tee shirts - brown, grey, purple and black long sleeve

Other tee shirts - khaki, grey, navy and sage

Cami - white, black, purple

Cotton sweaters - cartigans (sp?) - black, red, white, white and navy stripe

Jackets two blazers, beige linen jacket, one khaki safari type jacket, two mackintoshes, red and hot pink

Various scarves of various colors

Two hats - one winter, one summer

One bathing suit and beach cover and sun hat with tote

One tennis/shorts set with sun hat

Shoes - black boots, white tennis shoes, black ballet flats, black dress shoes, black loafers, brown dress sandals, brown street sneakers

One bathrobe, one set of PJ's, one night gown, slippers

Undies - 10 panties, 10-bras, three slips, all lingerie colors are black, beige, white only.

- 2 pair black trouser socks, 2 pair blue socks, 2 pair white athelic socks, 6 pair of footies, 3 pair of nylons, 3 pair of black tights.

There is very little color in my basic wardrobe, but I always have something to wear.

Edited by Anne Rittenhouse

-skinny jeans, wide leg dark denim or leggings

-boots (black combat style and heeled) or black converse, I also have a thing for patent leather type heels (I currently own burnt orange with gold and standard black).. ballet flats with ankle strap.

-cotton top with black hoodie, if it's cold I add a tailored jacket and scarf

-tunics galore with open long cardigan

-dresses almost always vintage style

-and always, either my Indian gold dangly hoop earrings or dangly silver afghani earrings

kind of like these:

http://www.thebeadgoeson.com/silver/afghan-silver/afghanearring1

http://www.meenajewelers.com/details/Earrings/Hoop_Earrings/8352/22K__Chandelier_Bali/

WOW! I'm either in a rut, or I finally found the style that works for me. :001_smile: I am predictable.. it's a uniform.

I did just stock up on (mostly) tops at JCrew tonight. They're having a great sale.

Oh yeah, my colors are either dark, or obnoxiously bright (colors I like to call "leo orange or leo gold") :)

Edited by helena

It's interesting how hard it is describe why any of those clothes are different from what teens wear. In my life, it's not about the category of clothes (jeans, t's, henleys, blouses), but the style. Teenager jeans are just different from grown-up jeans, even if they're both stylish. I live in my jeans, and they're plenty stylish, but they're not too low in the waist or too tight. My t's are form-fitting, but not too snug, and made from thicker cloth. I wear hoodies, but they're made out of nice fabrics. No need to reinvent yourself, unless you want to. There are plenty of ways to upgrade and still have your same basic sense of self.

My fav what-to-wear book: http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Wear-Five-Step-Common-Closet/dp/1594630283.

They talk about finding YOUR style, not some new style, and sticking with it. I'm a Classic/Bohemian. :)

Crushed velvet or other hippy style skirts and black tshirts.

I do need some jeans for winter, though. Or some tights to wear under my hippy skirts :)

Rosie

Cuddle duds! What I wear under my skirts all winter. They are silk long underwear and not bulky at all.

I mostly wear:

Skirts paired with hoodies, sweaters, nice stretchy tops or blouses depending on the circumstances and my gym clothes!

My STAPLES in my closet are....

-A pair of skinny jeans

-A pair of wide leg jeans

-A couple scarves

-A cardigan/sweater/military jacket/ladies fitted suit jacket

-Tank tops

-Long Sleeve white top (It's amazing how easily this top can be transformed with the right setup of jewelry and the right cardigan and scarf)

-A couple different colored short sleeve V-neck or scoop tops (again they have be transformed into many different looks just by accessorizing the top!)

-Jewelry

-Maxi Dress/Flow-y comfy dress

-Pair of nude/beige flats

-Pair of favorite COMFY heels

-Pair of COMFY boots

-Pair of COMFY running shoes

This is my STAPLE list for MYSELF....but again I have over 17 pairs of shoes! And have ALOT of jewelry! and I LOVE fashion!!!! and the nice bragging moment about it all is...I'm SUPER frugal and the big coupon clippin fashion diva...so even though my outfits might look like I pay retail price...RARELY ever do I! I buy thrift stores and clearance 90% of the time!

Edited by mamaofblessings