Menu

woohooo!!!!! but would you eat THIS!??!?

Pot of black beans (nothing added but water), cooked a day and a half ago, now with white mold/fuzz across the top. Would you just scrape off the mold and fix the beans?

I'm normally a scrape the mold off and eat the rest as long as it doesn't taste funny kind of girl, but this is the longest I've forgotten beans on the stove and the mold is scowling at me. Hoping it's still ok to eat them, because they're sounding really good for breakfast, except for the mold part.

:party:

Edited by Classical Country Mama
split infinitive (gasp!)

Pot of black beans (nothing added but water), cooked a day and a half ago, now with white mold/fuzz across the top. Would you just scrape off the mold and fix the beans?

I'm normally a scrape the mold off and eat the rest as long as it doesn't taste funny kind of girl, but this is the longest I've forgotten beans on the stove and the mold is scowling at me. Hoping it's still ok to eat them, because they're sounding really good for breakfast, except for the mold part.

I rarely say I wouldn't eat something in these threads, but once mold has matured so much it can scowl, I think it's time to declare defeat.

So, no. I wouldn't.

No, I wouldn't eat them.

But I am more curious about the wooohooo! and the party smiley. Is that an inside joke or are you just really happy about moldy beans?

No, I wouldn't eat them.

But I am more curious about the wooohooo! and the party smiley. Is that an inside joke or are you just really happy about moldy beans?

Oh, no, most decidedly unhappy about moldy beans. Just excited to play the "would you eat this" game for the first time.

Wishing for different results, though. Maybe it would help if I posted a pic. Or would that spoil everyone else's breakfast too?

Oh, no, most decidedly unhappy about moldy beans. Just excited to play the "would you eat this" game for the first time.

Wishing for different results, though. Maybe it would help if I posted a pic. Or would that spoil everyone else's breakfast too?

<decides NOT to check back on this thread again> LOL.

You're funny! :lol:

BTW, I was just looking at our photos from Shenandoah Nat'l Park. So beautiful it makes my heartache.

Want to trade houses for vacations? You can go to Niagara Falls and I can go back to God's country. :)

I rarely say I wouldn't eat something in these threads, but once mold has matured so much it can scowl, I think it's time to declare defeat.

So, no. I wouldn't.

Yeah, this. I definitely would not eat that, and I think the only other time I said that on a 'would you eat this' thread was the horse semen conversation.

Yeah, this. I definitely would not eat that, and I think the only other time I said that on a 'would you eat this' thread was the horse semen conversation.

Wow, that's way grosser than hairy beans.

So now the question is, if you had to choose between a warm frothy glass of Mr. Ed or the aformentioned hairy scary beans... Which one are you downing?

No way. Yuck!

The only thing I would eat that had mold on it would be hard cheese. I know you can take the mold off of hard cheese and the rest is fine.

Other than that mold is usually a sure sign of bacteria build up in the food. What you see on the top isn't all of it. The rest would have bacteria growth as well.

Personally, I'd be more worried about what you *can't* see. Beans aren't cheese and don't have the protective microbial composition that cheese does.

My husband says to go for it, but I wouldn't listen to him as he tends towards sarcasm.

And there you have it! Oatmeal goes great with eggs. Use the slow-cooking kind, prepare al-dente, and it has a low glycemic index.

Yes, ma'am.

I just made a savory oatmeal with broth, garlic, pepper, and sriracha. Fried egg on top.

Except I used the quick-cooking oats, because it's 11:30am and will very shortly turn unfashionably late for breakfast.

I think I once read somewhere that mold isn't just what you can see - something about invisible strands going down into the food or something like that?

Mold spores permeate soft food. That's why it's okay to eat hard cheese with mold scraped off, but not moldy soft cheese. Moldy beans? Groooosssss!

Isn't most of it moldy, though? I mean........ some of my favorite soft cheeses are full of mold :lol:

But that is grown in very well controlled sanitary conditions. It is the type of mold that one (well most people, myself excluded) is okay to eat, and other molds and bacterias are most definitely excluded. When mold grows on one's food in the refridgerator, pantry or stove top one is not getting the same type of mold. (Yeah, you all might already know this, but I am just putting it out there.)