Menu

NYC preschool lawsuit. Hysterical and sad.

It is not the lawsuit that I find hysterical and sad (although, a bit obnoxious)... just this general attitude and delusion that Manhattan dwellers get sucked into.

My brother has dealt with this. There is a bizarre culture of forking out tons of $$ and worrying about academics at this level. It is a cutthroat business/situation. Assigning worth to your child's potential income level at 4 is ridiculous. Paying $19,000 for a preschool is insane. Since when has $ garaunteed outcome?

So many things wrong with this....

My brother did not understand why things should be this way, but.... he jumped right onto the ship. He also left one preschool as the parents ousted the directors for not meeting their "exmissions". He said the parents were psycho and the whole thing was bizarre.

Edited by radiobrain

Why? She paid to attain a certain level of specific service that they claimed to be providing. If they were not actually providing that level of instruction - then I think her case is valid.

If I enroll in oh say a class advertising the goal is to raise an ACT score by so many points and it turns out all they do in class goofs off and puts little to zero effort in going over the exam - am I wrong to be ticked and want my money back?

I don't think so.

Yes the child is 4.

That does not negate the obligation of a business to fulfill it's agreements and back up it's claims.

The school said they would prepare the child for the exam. This does mean the child will pass it.
:iagree:

I don't know that it is ridiculous. In my world it is ridiculous. I couldn't and wouldn't pay that kind of money for preschool. But for some people that's not such a big deal. I have been promised various things in the past (even by schools) that were not delivered on that I paid good money for. Had I had the money and time I would have considered a lawsuit. Schools should not make such promises.
To me it's ridiculous because I would never consider spending $19K on preschool. Plus, like GreenKitty said, just because they promised to prepare a child for an exam does not mean the child will pass the exam. From the limited information in the article, it sounds like sour grapes.

It is not the lawsuit that I find hysterical and sad (although, a bit obnoxious)... just this general attitude and delusion that Manhattan dwellers get sucked into.

My brother has dealt with this. There is a bizarre culture of forking out tons of $$ and worrying about academics at this level. It is a cutthroat business/situation. Assigning worth to your child's potential income level at 4 is ridiculous. Paying $19,000 for a preschool is insane. Since when has $ garaunteed outcome?

So many things wrong with this....

Am I the only one that thought of Daddy Day Care when reading the article? :tongue_smilie:

OK, the universe she lives in is twisted and wrong. But within that universe, she got bilked of $19,000 and is perfectly right to sue.

My thoughts exactly.

They shouldn't be making any claims. Just like any other business can't make those kinds of claims. That's why a vitamin label can't say that vitamin cures cancer

But to even *live* in that twisted universe...poor kids. Those are the ones that pay.

OK, the universe she lives in is twisted and wrong. But within that universe, she got bilked of $19,000 and is perfectly right to sue.

:iagree: , sort of. Maybe.

If this little girl wasn't ready for formal academic work, the school was between a rock and a hard place. They could force the academics on a child unwilling and not ready, keep her in with the younger kids doing more developmentally appropriate activities, or remove her from the program completely. If that was the case, they did the right thing and the mother is out of line, even if the system is ridiculously designed for this type of "heartbreak".

On the other hand, my 2.5 year old knows his colors and shapes. If I sent him to an expensive, private school that was promising phonics and Miquon, and he wasn't learning anything but red squares and green circles, I'd be ticked and wonder how many other parents are being scammed.

If this is a reputable preschool, I'm more inclined to think it's the first scenario. If it is the second, then suing might be one small step in stopping the high-stakes kindergarten testing madness.

Why? She paid to attain a certain level of specific service that they claimed to be providing. If they were not actually providing that level of instruction - then I think her case is valid.

If I enroll in oh say a class advertising the goal is to raise an ACT score by so many points and it turns out all they do in class goofs off and puts little to zero effort in going over the exam - am I wrong to be ticked and want my money back?

I don't think so.

Yes the child is 4.

That does not negate the obligation of a business to fulfill it's agreements and back up it's claims.

:iagree: I think the whole mentality behind preparing a 4 year-old for an ivy league school is ridiculous, but if these are indeed the services she paid for, she has a case.

Her kid didn't get into a particular school. Maybe she's a slacker 4 year old...doesn't test well. Maybe they aren't a good fit for the school. Maybe she scored high, but the other children scored higher, or had better personalities during the swimsuit portion of the interview. Maybe the mother didn't do well at the parent interview ( ya think?) and ruined her daughter's entire Ivy League future.

Edited by LibraryLover

If this little girl wasn't ready for formal academic work, the school was between a rock and a hard place. They could force the academics on a child unwilling and not ready, keep her in with the younger kids doing more developmentally appropriate activities, or remove her from the program completely. If that was the case, they did the right thing and the mother is out of line, even if the system is ridiculously designed for this type of "heartbreak".

No that would NOT have been the right thing.

If this is a reputable school, they would have tested her readiness prior to acceptance. Heck, I'm in Oklahoma, not Manhattan, and that is exactly what the elite preschools do here, even a decade ago. Those not ready are not accepted. If they later can't keep up, it is deemed the program does not meet their current needs and the parents are told what steps to take to either help their child over the block or to seek another program elsewhere that would better meet the individual student needs. Anything less would be misleading and failure to provide the type of program they claim to be offering. This was the case when we scouted programs for oldest two way back in the day and last I checked, it still is.

Her kid didn't get into a particular school. Maybe she's a slacker 4 year old...doesn't test well. Maybe she scored high, but the other children scored higher, or had better personalities during the swimsuit portion of the interview. Maybe the mother didn't do well at the parent interview ( ya think?) and ruined her daughter's entire Ivy League future.

Maybe. If they provided what they claimed they would provide and it simply was not utilized or there were other factors, then she has no claim.

However, she is claiming they failed to provide what they said they would. A program geared towards passing the elite schools kindergarten entry exam. If in fact, all they did was goof and send her dd to play with 2 year olds, then yeah that was a failure to fulfill their claim and likely contributed to not passing the exam and the mother has a valid reason to sue.

I didn't get the impression from the article that her daughter had even taken the test though-just that she didn't think they were doing what they had promised and was unhappy. I would think, since the school had been around for 30 years it would be easy enough to check into whether they really have a history of getting their kids into elite public and private schools. It seems to me that if they are charging $19,000 a year and filling their school they must have some sort of success, and if they don't, I think lack of due diligence on the part of the mom is partly to blame. Regardless, the academic push at 4 makes me sad.

Prep is not a guarantee. Ask all those poor Phillips Andover Academy kids with perfect SATs who are now having to do time at Hamiliton College because Harvard said no. Tradegy abounds.

Maybe. If they provided what they claimed they would provide and it simply was not utilized or there were other factors, then she has no claim.

However, she is claiming they failed to provide what they said they would. A program geared towards passing the elite schools kindergarten entry exam. If in fact, all they did was goof and send her dd to play with 2 year olds, then yeah that was a failure to fulfill their claim and likely contributed to not passing the exam and the mother has a valid reason to sue.

The Manhattan private school scene. Well, it's not just about ERBs. Let's say there are 3 openings in the 4 year old room at...Dalton, just for fun, and let's say Caroline Kennedy has 4 year old triplets (she doesn't). Say the Schlossberg triplets score 10 points lower on the ERBs than this little girl. Who gets the 3 spots?

I didn't get the impression from the article that her daughter had even taken the test though-just that she didn't think they were doing what they had promised and was unhappy. I would think, since the school had been around for 30 years it would be easy enough to check into whether they really have a history of getting their kids into elite public and private schools. It seems to me that if they are charging $19,000 a year and filling their school they must have some sort of success, and if they don't, I think lack of due diligence on the part of the mom is partly to blame. Regardless, the academic push at 4 makes me sad.

Prep is not a guarantee. Ask all those poor Phillips Andover Academy kids with perfect SATs who are now having to do time at Hamiliton College because Harvard said no. Tradegy abounds.

And again, I didn't say it does. Agreed in fact.

The question here is whether they actually provided the prep or not. If not, then her claim is valid.

As the school year is not over yet, she might be under contract and desiring to break it since they aren't offering what they claimed? Many of the elite schools require a one year contract. If you drop out or whatever, you still have to finish paying out your contract. You have to prove it is the schools fault to break your contract and stop paying.

I don't know anyone who doesn't purchase Tuition Insurance.

At any rate, this woman has shot herself in the foot. I am sure her picture is hanging in admissions offices all over Manhattan.

They can all see her in 13 years, screaming, 'I paid for As! I paid for Yale!"

And again, I didn't say it does. Agreed in fact.

The question here is whether they actually provided the prep or not. If not, then her claim is valid.

As the school year is not over yet, she might be under contract and desiring to break it since they aren't offering what they claimed? Many of the elite schools require a one year contract. If you drop out or whatever, you still have to finish paying out your contract. You have to prove it is the schools fault to break your contract and stop paying.

Edited by LibraryLover

At any rate, this woman has shot herself in the foot. I am sure her picture is hanging in admissions offices all over Manhattan.

Oh I agree. But tuition assistance pays to the school, not her. If she truly feels scammed, she is justified for wanting her money back.

And yes, this might come back to haunt her.

Otoh, one could say the same about any suit. Sue your boss for sexual harassment, lack of payment, unsafe working conditions and it could bite you when you go job hunting. But it is a service to the community when just claims are filed and bad or fraudulent practices of a business come to light.

Guest Dulcimeramy

:lol:

I am not sure what that means.

She'll drop it, or it will be dropped. The school is a perfectly fine one, with a history of children hitting the lottery at the end. She is caught up in the acceptance/rejection frenzy right now, which is classic Manhattan. In terms of mourning stages, she is at anger. She'll eventually move onto resignation.

You don't know the hysteria that goes on. I haven't personally experienced it, but I know people who have. It's like nothing else...except maybe in South Korea at the university level, where there are far more kids than spots, and very few with all the right criteria. One might have a better chance winning Mega-Millions Lotto.

Oh I agree. But tuition assistance pays to the school, not her. If she truly feels scammed, she is justified for wanting her money back.

And yes, this might come back to haunt her.

Otoh, one could say the same about any suit. Sue your boss for sexual harassment, lack of payment, unsafe working conditions and it could bite you when you go job hunting. But it is a service to the community when just claims are filed and bad or fraudulent practices of a business come to light.

I think the lawsuit is absolutely ridiculous. My son just took the exam the ERB uses to determine kindergarten placement and its not as if kids need to be writing their letters, doing complicated math problems or reading. It's mostly vocabulary, compare and contrast and figuring out patterns. A good proctor presents the whole exam as a series of games. A classroom that the mom derided as just one big playroom is the perfect setting for developing the ERB test skills. An academic preschool isn't going to help

If I'm paying almost 20k for preschool then I'm going to tour the school, ask about where last year's class went to kindergarten and check in frequently with the teacher to see where my child might have deficiencies. There is no way I would wait until February, and sue the school after I didn't get the kindy placement I wanted.

I Won't even dignify the complaint about being in a room with 2 and three year olds. The horrors! Back in my former life, DS attended a neighborhood Montessori preschool where the classroom ages ran from 2 1/2 to 5.

Christine W

eta: we're not trying to get DS into any fancy elementary program. DS' preschool administers the WSSPI to all 4-5 year old students to assess kindergarten readiness and as a benchmark for the school to see if its meeting its own goals. I didn't know he was being tested until he began describing the "games" he was playing with his teacher and I remembered them from my education training.

Edited by ChristineW

The whole thing is absurd, and New Yorkers do this year after year. You gotta feel for them. Some of the York Avenue preschoolers manage to have futures, even when they are playing with slacker 2 yr olds at age 4. The preschool does list the primary schools their graduates have attended:

http://www.yorkavenuepreschool.org/site/learning_for_tomorrow/

You can also see that the school makes 0 admissions promises...not even in the finest print.

The mom's original aspirations are easy to laugh at, as are the school's claims. However, I am certain the mom knew her suit would win her no friends at top private school admission departments. I think the suit, as absurd as it is, is a bit brave.
Edited by LibraryLover

I am not sure what that means.

She'll drop it, or it will be dropped. The school is a perfectly fine one, with a history of children hitting the lottery at the end. She is caught up in the acceptance/rejection frenzy right now, which is classic Manhattan. In terms of mourning stages, she is at anger. She'll eventually move onto resignation.

You don't know the hysteria that goes on. I haven't personally experienced it, but I know people who have. It's like nothing else...except maybe in South Korea at the university level, where there are far more kids than spots, and very few with all the right criteria. One might have a better chance winning Mega-Millions Lotto.

I am not sure what you don't understand about the tuition insurance? It pays the school, not the parent.

Iow, let's say I enroll little Timmy in x school and sign a one year contract of payment.

About half way through the school year, I am thoroughly dissatisfied with the school, or my dh looses his job, or the school boots Timmy for being a perpetual brat.

I still owe the money on the rest of my contract. So instead of paying it out of my pocket, I file a claim on my tuition insurance.

The tuition insurance then pays the SCHOOL the allotted amount as per my insurance policy so that I am done with my contract.

I'm still out what I already paid to the school.

I'm still out whatever portion the tuition insurance didn't cover.

And if I'm leaving bc the school didn't provide what they said they would, then I'm still out the wasted funds already paid for a service my child did not receive.

I completely agree it tis the season for school insanity, parallel only to August.:tongue_smilie:

That does not however mean the mom is wrong in her claim that the school did not provide the education they claimed to her daughter. Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't. Court will tell.

Thanks. I've purchased penty of tuition insurance. Assistance is not insurance. You don't get back what you paid, because care and service was provided.

You can't buy scores or grades...well, I am sure you can, but not in this case.

You're angry at me because you think she has a case, and I don't. That's OK.

We can both handle it. ;)

You should go play around the school's website. I posted the link above. I think you'll enjoy it.

I am not sure what you don't understand about the tuition insurance? It pays the school, not the parent.

Iow, let's say I enroll little Timmy in x school and sign a one year contract of payment.

About half way through the school year, I am thoroughly dissatisfied with the school, or my dh looses his job, or the school boots Timmy for being a perpetual brat.

I still owe the money on the rest of my contract. So instead of paying it out of my pocket, I file a claim on my tuition insurance.

The tuition insurance then pays the SCHOOL the allotted amount as per my insurance policy so that I am done with my contract.

I'm still out what I already paid to the school.

I'm still out whatever portion the tuition insurance didn't cover.

And if I'm leaving bc the school didn't provide what they said they would, then I'm still out the wasted funds already paid for a service my child did not receive.

I completely agree it tis the season for school insanity, parallel only to August.:tongue_smilie:

That does not however mean the mom is wrong in her claim that the school did not provide the education they claimed to her daughter. Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't. Court will tell.

Edited by LibraryLover

Actually I am not angry at all. With anyone.

*confused*

My ONLY disagreement is simple.

If she paid for a level of education that was not provided - I think her claim is legit.

I am NOT talking grades, guaranteed entries, or whatever else MIGHT result from the level of education.

I am strictly saying if she had reason to believe a certain academic rigor would be provided and it was not provided - then she has a valid complaint.

If it was provided, but for whatever plethora or reasons didn't "stick" for her dd - well that stinks for her but it isn't the schools fault.

Based on the info I have - I have no way of knowing which is the case. :)

Did this mother actually ask what the preschool children do all day? Did she really expect the children to sit at little desks and study all day long? I would much rather have my (hypothetical) preschooler sitting on the floor playing with other children under a well-qualified teacher's supervision than working diligently at a desk. The whole thing is crazy, and the mom is clearly out for publicity.

When my daughter was newly four, I had her tested at our local country day school. She failed the test because she couldn't talk. When the tester would ask her to point to a circle, or a square, she would stare helplessly and bat her eyelashes. She had *known* all the material since before she was one year old from watching the Baby's First Impressions videos. She just couldn't communicate with a stranger. The school denied her admission, and I homeschooled her instead. The school asked me twice in later years to please enroll her (because after she began to talk it was clear that she was quite capable). She was exactly the type of student that they really wanted, but they hadn't perceived that from their preschool test.

Edited by Rebecca VA

If you want to read more about the insanity, I recommend "The Kindergarten Wars"

http://www.amazon.com/Kindergarten-Wars-Americas-Private-Schools/dp/044657774X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300217609&sr=8-1

I read the book, then moved to VA, where I actually met some people like that! Then, we moved to LA for a year and I met some more! And, I actually liked some of them, although their nannies were sometimes more interesting to talk to, especially the older nannies. I know actual people that I actually like that camped out overnight for a preschool slot and/or placed multiple page applications for a preschool/K school that cost more than I would consider spending for high school. (When I read the book, I never thought I would never meet anyone like that, they do not hang out in Arkansas or Texas or the other places we had been stationed up until then.)

I also snapped once when I was at a park in VA and someone was trying to talk me into sending my daughter to preschool and kept going on about how could you succeed in life if you didn't go to the one of the "good" preschools. I usually do not tell random people how early my daughter was reading, but I was so fed up with her I that I asked what they taught in the preschool and told her my daughter was reading already. (Reading at about a 3rd grade, level, but I did not mention that, this was before I found Webster's Speller.:D) It did get her to stop badgering me! (Usually, I only tell people that are interested in teaching a young child to read. And, I usually talk about my remedial students first and my daughter as an aside.)

Edited by ElizabethB

What I wonder, seriously, is if the parent had a mismatch with the school. A developmentally appropriate Montessori school with multi-age classes certainly would have had materials available to work on colors or shapes, but also higher skills as well, and it's typical for children to work in a progression. And such schools often do VERY well at preparing students for further study.

But, it doesn't happen in a few months. You really need to commit to all three years of an age group to see the benefits, because they're very additive.

And, in general, this is going to be the case with other developmental methods too. You don't sit a class of 4 yr olds down and teach them to read-but if one's ready to read, they'll be given what they need to learn.

FWIW, I hadn't realized how competitive it could get, even in our area, until I had parents complementing me and talking about how lucky it was that my DD got into a private school for their 3 yr old program-because "You won't have to worry when it's time for Kindergarten". The only reason I'd picked that particular school initially was that it was on my way to the University, so I could easily drop DD off and pick her up, and when I visited the school, I liked their response to DD and that they'd talked to HER as much or more than to me. Kindergarten wasn't even on my viewscreen yet.

Edited by Dmmetler2

I lived in NYC when my oldest was 4. The insanity is pernicious and horrible. I managed to avoid it not because I have wisdom or strength of character--it would take far more than both of those anyway--but because I was 1. toying with the idea of homeschooling, 2. too cheap/broke to pay outlandish tuition, and 3. on my way out of town. Had these factors not been in play I fear I would have been swept up too.

Among my beautiful, smart, down-to-earth, not-weird friends there was not one who managed to resist going at least a little insane trying to get her child into preschool. It was hard to watch. Six year later all the kids are fine, and the moms are too.

Oh, one related thing among the paying too much for preschool crowd in VA, a story I just have to share, the irony gets me every time I think about it:

A lady who we all knew better than to try to argue any sense into (she was actually nice, just not persuadable by rational arguments) was making a purse from plastic bags. Someone complemented her on it and asked how you got the crumpled bags to crochet well. She replied adamantly, "Oh, you don't use bags that have been used already, you have to use nice flat new ones." She did not see the irony. The non-paying too much for preschool ones and those grounded in other aspects that did pay a lot for preschool just looked at one another, we saw the irony.

This "world", while alien to many, and not the one I chose, was one I lived next door to for 10 years, and went to school with many people who grew up in it. Some were jerks, but some were good caring people who went on to thinks like MD/PhD in bio-research in retro-viruses. Even the jerks got better (most of them) in the years I schooled with them.

I lived in NYC when my oldest was 4. The insanity is pernicious and horrible. I managed to avoid it not because I have wisdom or strength of character--it would take far more than both of those anyway--but because I was 1. toying with the idea of homeschooling, 2. too cheap/broke to pay outlandish tuition, and 3. on my way out of town. Had these factors not been in play I fear I would have been swept up too.

Among my beautiful, smart, down-to-earth, not-weird friends there was not one who managed to resist going at least a little insane trying to get her child into preschool. It was hard to watch. Six year later all the kids are fine, and the moms are too.

Yes. The parents aren't evil, it's just something in the air. This woman let her her heightened anxiety get the best of her in a bad way.