Menu

Veteran HS'ers If you could have only ONE

mom2bee

program for the 3R's in for the 1st-3rd* range, what would it be?

(Or K-3. We don't really do 'K' we do first grade for ready 4yo's.)

I mean ONE Math program, ONE Reading program and ONE Writing/English program, what would it be? Of course, if you're doing English and Reading from the same program, thats equally valid.

What would you pick for Reading?

What would you pick for English/Lang Arts?

What would you pick for Math?

PS. What does it mean to be a HomeSchooling veteran? :001_huh: I'm just wondering if there is some (un)official/widely accepted standard that I should know about, given the way I titled this thread...

I mean ONE Math program, ONE Reading program and ONE Writing/English program, what would it be? Of course, if you're doing English and Reading from the same program, thats equally valid.

Now I would use CLE for all three. Previously, my choices would be Rod & Staff for reading and English, and Developmental Mathematics for math.

With reading it would be hard to pick just one program though, because I have found that not every program works for every kid. I have had a lot of success in the past starting with the first 3 books of Explode the Code before beginning Rod and Staff. Rod and Staff just moves too fast for some kids. I have not used CLE from the beginning for teaching reading, so I don't know how well it would work by itself.

Susan in TX

I have not taught K-3 grades in a while since my oldest is 12 and the youngest is 12 months, but I would choose:

Reading and Language Arts: McRuffy

Math: Rightstart Math

Science: Real Science Odyssey by Pandia Press or Elemental Science

History: SOTW, Sonlight, and/or FIAR

Not sure if I'm a veteran - we're only a couple of years in....! BUT, we have looked at/tried quite a few things...it feels like!

I'd go with:

Reading - A Beka - A Handbook for Reading and their leveled readers

Math - Math Mammoth (we use MUS with Math Mammoth, but if you could ONLY have one with no supplements, I'd go MM)

English - Rod and Staff - it's a great gap filler, throw in the free skills of narration/copywork/dictation and you are set to go!

I don't consider myself a veteran yet, we're only on our third year. However, we do several subjects in the grade 2-3 range, so here's our list, narrowing it down to one (or trying).

Reading

- We already finished our reading program, so I'd say ETC for review. I could also say All About Spelling, as that's great review too.

Language Arts

- Growing With Grammar (for now, may change grade 4+)

Math

- Singapore Math

Science

- R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey

History

- SOTW

Those are our main core programs.

This is my 11th year of homeschooling. And I knew I wanted to homeschool while I was in high school. But I don't feel like a veteran! Every year there is a new level to teach. Every few years there is a new student. Who, amazingly, is completely different!

I've been having fun putting my kids' info into Home Ed Expert. My 14yo dd & 11yo ds, who have been my two "academically minded" children so far, scored radically different in learning style.

All that to say it is hard to pick ONE thing.

However, ALL of my school-aged children are currently using Math-U-See!

And the older four all use/d First Language Lessons, and I plan to use it for the next two.

Those are the only two programs I've gotten much repeat usage from (so far).

Not a veteran yet...

But I vote Rod and Staff

But I am finishing up 3rd grade now, and we have used Rod and Staff all the way for the 3Rs (excluding reading. I only use it for 1st grade. After that we move into WTM reading narrations.) I am also almost done with 1st grade with my 2nd child, and I plan to do the same with her.

I have been homeschooling for 11 years. I have 5 children and I am getting ready to start my last one in Kindergarten next year.

What would you pick for Reading? This is a hard one. Nothing really impressed me over the years. I ended up getting the new All About Reading program for my son and I am really excited about it.

What would you pick for English/Lang Arts? Another one that I have used a lot for. Most of my kids have been naturally strong in this area. We have basically done the Charlotte Mason method with this one.

What would you pick for Math? Christian Light Math hands down.

PS. What does it mean to be a HomeSchooling veteran? I don't know, I guess it means you have successfully homeschooled for quite some time.

`

Reading - Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading Very user friendly with short,fun,engaging lessons

Spelling - Spelling by Sound and Structure 2 I am using this a second time and seeing the same success.I would say its greatest perk is that it is very user friendly

English/language arts - First Language Lessons We love this program and I love that I can reuse it with all of my children. We have used levels 1-3 and are getting ready to begin 4.

Math - Math-U-See This has been a very good fit for my children and it is so easy to allow them to move at their own pace.

Math: MEP (Singapore is a close second)

Reading: Phonics Pathways

LA: with an attentive parent and incidental teaching, I don't think it's necessary until 3rd, then MCT

Writing: GDI

Spelling: copywork, then SS or Megawords

Veteren or not, I've only got two kids, and so won't be going through this stage again.

Edited by nmoira

Ruth Beechick's three skinny little books, A Strong Start in Math, Reading, Language.

Her ideas are simple, effective, fun and gentle. No bells and whistles, just one-on-one learning/discipleship. They accomplish exactly what a child needs in a short amount of time so that they have lots of time for their real job -- being a child!

Jean

Y'all are going to think this is strange, but in my 15 years of teaching K-12, my favorite curriculum was a packaged curriculum--ABeka.

I liked it for it's Christian content, colorful presentation, ease of teaching-providing I had all the teacher support materials--and it's *one-stop-shopping* concept (a few clicks of the mouse and it was *all* at more doorstep within 2 weeks). I liked that it was all tied to together, it's proven track record, it's ability to allow me to teach my children by myself or use the dvds to "hold" my hand when I needed it back when I had teens and toddlers AT the same time.:lol:

I supplemented the not-so-boring textbooks with fiction & non-fiction books from the library (later called "living books" according to the CM method).

I used the language arts off and on all the way from K-12 for my older kids and their ACT scores were high in this area. I wished that I had stuck with their math using the dvds for my son, but we ventured into Teaching Textbooks (both are a traditional method of teaching math). I also wished that I used the math dvds for my daughter all the way through jr/sr high, but we used Saxon (she hated this math) and other math programs to find a good "fit".

The only thing I would change in Abeka is the composition part. I would keep the writing projects (except the creative writing in the early years), and supplement with the WWE method in the early years then switch over to IEW for jr./sr. high years.

Abeka introduced creative writing too soon in the early years, and I think creative writing should be a topic to touch on later maybe jr./sr high, but not be the main focus of composition. JMHO and experience.

I've used a lot of methods over the years (finishing up the 15th year), but it's funny to me when I'm using a different method/text, how I long for Abeka.

My biggest problem is the awful amount of 'second-guessing" that I do throughout a school year. :glare:

It's only by the Grace of God, that my older kids did as well as they did and get into college. :w00t:

Edited by luvtheOzarks

Not exactly a veteran, but this is our 5th year of HS and my 2nd time doing K.

Phonics: All About Reading/All About Spelling plus BOB Books, Hooked on Phonics readers, library easy readers

Grammar: if I had to pick just one program to use through the end of 3rd, it would be FLL/WWE. But really I'd prefer to stop FLL after then end of level 2 and then start MCT "island".

Math: again this is hard because what I like for K-1 (Right Start) is different from what I like for 2-3 (Singapore). I guess if I had to pick just one, I'd go with Singapore and just use my knowledge of RS methods to make it more "hands-on".

Not yet an expert. Only on my 5th year & two & a 1/2 kids into this adventure, but I'd say:

Lang. Arts/Reading/etc.: Phonics Road

(We use 100EL/SWR w/no formal grammar until 3rd when we start gently with GWG)

Math: CLE if your kid needs spiral. MM if not.

(We use ABeka & it gets the job done. But it isn't for everyone.)

I'm not a veteran, but not really a newbie either. I do feel that we've found our way with our curriculum choices.

Math: Singapore

Reading: ETC with McGuffey readers

English/Writing: R&S English...also adding their spelling next year

Phonics/Reading (and spelling) : Phonics Pathways and lots of library trips

Language Arts (grammar/writing) : FLL with WWE

Math: MEP (which is fabulous!), but please let me keep on adding in Miquon. It is sooo good for an advanced student who wants to explore, or a "average" student who needs to "see it to believe it". :)

Y'all are going to think this is strange, but in my 15 years of teaching K-12, my favorite curriculum was a packaged curriculum--ABeka.

I did Abeka for all three subjects for 1-3 grade with DD10 starting at age 5 and she did fantastic. We have since moved on to other things but do still use BJU and Abeka too and I think the groundwork Abeka paved for her has served her very well. She's in 4th grade and on lesson 50 of Saxon 7/6. I would use Abeka again in a heartbeat.

ps. In my opinion, Abeka phonics is outstanding.

Math: Math Mammoth, although I'd probably just do quite a bit of informal math first

Reading: I really do an eclectic mix and don't think it matters much what program as long as it follows a logical progression, so maybe something like HOP (and then do my own thing along with it)

Writing: just my own thing for those ages

I'm pretty relaxed in the early grades plus feel that I have a good handle on what I think needs to be covered, so if I HAD to pick just one program, those would be my choices. I prefer to mix and match things though, taking what I like and discarding the rest. :tongue_smilie:

Math: Horizons (skipping every other problem unless extra review was needed)

Reading: All About Spelling with the American Language Series readers

English/Language Arts:

Old textbooks: Primary Lessons in Language and Composition by Maxwell followed by Maxwell's Elementary Grammar

I'm on my third time through 1st grade and I'm pleased with what we've used so far.

Math--Rod and Staff starting in Kindergarten with level 1

Reading--Ordinary Parents' Guide and Explode the Code then lots and lots of good books.

Writing--copywork, oral then written narrations, dictation, (WWE and Charlotte Mason methods for these). I use Memoria Press copybooks and choose my own selections. GD Italic for handwriting and then New American Cur

I also use First Language Lessons 1-2 and then start Rod and Staff Grammar in 3rd grade along with CW Aesop A for imitative writing practice.

And then I love AO for everything else in those years. :)

I don't think there are many programs that do all-in-one well at this age. Skills in reading and writing can be so varied or if a grammar program is strong it may be weak in writing. I suppose if I were telling a mom *one* program that covered everything pretty well for LA I'd say use the Peace Hill Press FLL and WWE materials after OPG.

Edited by Jami

Phonics Road till reading well, then using Bible, History & Literature for Reading from VP or something like that.

Phonics Road

Rightstart Math

PS. What does it mean to be a HomeSchooling veteran? :001_huh: I'm just wondering if there is some (un)official/widely accepted standard that I should know about, given the way I titled this thread...

My 3 years don't qualify me to be a veteran, but I thought I'd vote. I love our programs and know they are rock solid!

8th year of homeschooling. Three chidren all through the years you've mentioned.

Math: Saxon - The scripted lessons are helpful for a parent who isn't sure they will know what do do in a lesson. The manipulatives are tangible items to associate with early counting and operations and help to link math and fun in the mind. (At least that was our experience.)

Reading: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (with the caveat that you need to not force it if the kid isn't ready and you may need to explicitly teach sight words and/or take a break around lesson 65-70 when the learning curve gets a little steeper). I've used this with three kids. I would also consider the book by Jesse Wise if I were starting over.

Language Arts: First Language Lessons and Writing with Ease. Italic handwriting. (I don't think that there is one product that adequately covers the various skills associated with language arts.)

What is a veteran is a squishy concept. I've taught three kids now. And they were all unique and having taught one only gave me limited insight into how to teach the others. None had learning difficulties, so I can't speak with experience on that world.

Also, I've found that as the number of homeschool curricula increases, my experience with what I picked ten years ago may not be helpful in assisting someone pick from what is currently available. On the other hand, there is something of a law of diminishing returns on the new programs. In many cases, I'm not seeing much of a real breakthrough so much as a new packaging of something that was already available (and sometimes at a much lower cost).

This is my 11th year of homeschooling. And I knew I wanted to homeschool while I was in high school. But I don't feel like a veteran! Every year there is a new level to teach. Every few years there is a new student. Who, amazingly, is completely different!

I've been having fun putting my kids' info into Home Ed Expert. My 14yo dd & 11yo ds, who have been my two "academically minded" children so far, scored radically different in learning style.

All that to say it is hard to pick ONE thing.

However, ALL of my school-aged children are currently using Math-U-See!

And the older four all use/d First Language Lessons, and I plan to use it for the next two.

Those are the only two programs I've gotten much repeat usage from (so far).

What frustrated me about Home Ed Expert was that there were several major curriculum options that didn't show up in the results. I'm not sure if they focus on what they can sell or packaged curriculum or curriculum with a certain slant or what. (I don't remember Story of the World or ABeka or IEW, for example.) It's been a while since I tried using the site, but I wasn't as impressed as I expected to be. But maybe they've added a lot more in since then.

This is what I've done for my last few children, and this is what I plan for my youngest two. I've homeschooled going on 18 years/12 children.

Reading: OPGTTR, then SOTW* (I'll explain this below.)

English/Language Arts: FLL, WWE, Spelling Workout

Math: Singapore, standards edition

*I consider SOTW a reading program because the narration exercises are so effective for working on comprehension and summarizing. Combined with FLL and WWE, which teach other age appropriate reading skills, it makes a perfect reading program. Add in a few of the books used in WWE as read alouds and you're good to go.

What would you pick for Reading? CLE

What would you pick for English/Lang Arts? CLE

What would you pick for Math? CLE

:)

I need to stay off of here when we aren't doing well. That secular thread and now this one have me re-thinking nearly everything. At least I am sure about Phonics Road.

:iagree::iagree:

I am going to make myself crazy if I keep reading this board! I guess having too many good choices is a good thing, but I can't afford to buy everything that looks good so I'm just going to have to pick something and roll with it!

Math: Miquon

Reading: Alphaphonics or Reading Reflex, with real books to read

English/Language Arts: probably copywork, dictation, and Mad Libs. I like Rod and Staff for 4th grade and up (with a little MCT mixed in for the joy of language, but you said only one program), but I don't really like RS English 2 and 3 that much.

I have read that a veteran is someone who has homeschooled for 5 years. My older two graduated/will graduate in 2010 and 2011, and were homeschooled all the way through, so I guess I'm a veteran--though there are still a few subjects (especially writing) that I'm still not sure I've found a good approach to teaching.

I am far from a veteran so I can only share my plans for my first grader next year.

Reading, 100 easy lessons, FIAR Vol 1 & 2

LA- FLL

Math- MEP and random things I toss together.

Not sure about the 100 easy lessons, it seems a little to slow for her just having done a few lessons together. She is a pretty decent reader (I think) for being 1/2 way through kindy. hard to gage where she will be next year.