Menu

What Do You Feel Like You Should Be Doing, But Aren't

SnMomof7

Okay - confession time here ladies! There are quite a few areas I feel like I should be covering, but that I'm having a hard time getting around to.

Consider this my confession.

We finished AAS 1, and I meant to start AAS 2, but for some reason I haven't yet.

Art, we have a great program, but it isn't getting done.

Dictation - why doesn't this make sense to me?

Whew. Glad I got that off my chest! :lol:

I did start teaching cursive today to DD #1 though, yay! Check another 'to do' off that big 'ole list.

So, your turn....who's next? :D

Sleeping. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I should be doing those VfCR books I have. Haven't cracked them open all year, and I likely won't! :tongue_smilie: Also, CW Homer but only made it half way through.

Are we limited to schooly things? Because my half-painted wall has been glaring at me since August of 2009. I have all the materials I need. Just no time or motivation.

Gack. History, Art, AAS, Sign Language.

I had noble plans :D Then youngest ds starting climbing! I go mental right now just focussing on the basics. But, math is getting done consistantly, as is WWE, FLL, HWT, piano theory and practice, and science gets an hour or two a week. We're on track to finish OPGTR in the spring, and I figure AAS can wait until that's done and take its place! Sign language was just a fun extra that I was hoping we could fit in, and I was thinking of just doing it 5 mins a day, but didn't!

History is what's killing my conscience! I know ds is just 6, but that's the fun subject! Now that dd isn't in preschool, I do plan to get going on that! Same with art. I have a lovely program, but my dd is the artsy one. I put them in an art class instead that ended in the fall, so I guess I should start up on that again too. But, I probably won't! At least until I get history up and running around here!

My big one is Art. My kids love art and make up "projects" on their own, but I know they would be thrilled to do it formally every week. I also started the year doing a very easy, informal composer study that they enjoyed, but we haven't done that for months. Ok, now I feel like a failure. :tongue_smilie:

Poetry was big time on the list until we started FLL this week. Now we finally have poetry AND memorization, which also wasn't being done.

Art is pretty limited. We do Draw Write Now, but that's it. I'm ok with that for our first year though.

Read-alouds... We don't have nearly as much as I would like. Part of the problem is logistics with a toddler. I hope this will change in another year as toddler gets closer to 3. All of my children have loved being read to, but at the 1-2 year old stage, they'd only let me read certain short picture books. I have Sandra Boynton's books Horns to Toes and Inbetween, Doggies, and The Going to Bed Book memorized. I try to get audio books for the van often, but I also want to read myself more. We'll get there.

Latin and Science. We fell off track back in December when we took a break and I haven't picked those back up again.

Also, we lack physical fitness. I'm not an outdoors person so we don't go out for walks and things like that, and I wish we did. My kids also don't play any particular sports except for weekly roller skating with friends, plus I fell off the wagon with my workout plan, so I feel really badly about our general level of exercise. :(

Science experiments~We like science but we prefer ours in books and documentaries.

Great artists and composers~The kids aren't as familiar as I think they should be. I'm sort of putting it off for a music and art history class in 9th? Not good, I know.

Handwriting~They have bad grips. They do not have good penmanship. They fight about both those issues. I've let it drop assuming they can keyboard their way through life or at some point they will want it to work better and take charge of it themselves.

1. Science. Well, we do it, daily actually, but I've never found a program I really like and the kids are so-so about it.

2. More writing. DD10 should be writing more across the curriculum. She does WWE3, Kilgallon's Sentence Composing, Writing Skills, some MCT, and some Scholastic workbooks, but nothing for science or history; no book reports, etc. It just feels like until we finish up some of those how-to writing books it's kind of a waste, no?

Most of our literature, I try to squeeze some in at bedtime, but even that is limited, because I have to be up early for work every day.

Piano. Ariel's teacher went back to school in August and since then I've had her practice maybe 5 times. Really need to get back on that.

The only reason any grammar or spelling is getting done is because we now school on the weekends to make up for the stuff that doesn't get done during the week. Yay. Fun. :glare:

Guest aquiverfull

With my 12 year old, I feel it's Latin and Writing. We started off doing Latin this year and it's just been hard to fit everything in, so we've Latin slide for now. I'm hoping to pick it back up in the fall. Another thing that I wish I were doing more of with my 12 year old is writing. I'm really at a loss with the writing. She's very reluctant and always fights me. We are getting some in PR but right now it's not that much.

With my little ones, I wish I could find a balance between doing too much and not doing enough. I also wish that I could be more consistent with them in all their subjects.

Art skills for my oldest, art projects for my middle one (though for the past eight weeks he's been in an outside art class w/ a project every week, at least), more intense work with foreign language, even more writing focus than we already have (for my oldest).

I should also probably stay on top of the laundry better, but that's a different thread. :lol:

Okay - confession time here ladies! There are quite a few areas I feel like I should be covering, but that I'm having a hard time getting around to.

Consider this my confession.

We finished AAS 1, and I meant to start AAS 2, but for some reason I haven't yet.

Art, we have a great program, but it isn't getting done.

Dictation - why doesn't this make sense to me?

Whew. Glad I got that off my chest! :lol:

I did start teaching cursive today to DD #1 though, yay! Check another 'to do' off that big 'ole list.

So, your turn....who's next? :D

I feel like we should be doing...but aren't for various bad reasons:

Latin...Just can't seem to get started on this with this bunch of kiddoes

Art projects...Just can't find anything that is worth the mess (I know, bad mom)

Phys. Ed. This is the first year in 8 years my kids are not swimming competitively. It has been a freezing cold snowy winter. I like my kids physically fit, but I am so burnt out on competitive sports. Ideas please....

Music Lessons; procrastination.....

Foreign Language: see Latin

And the one that really hurts:

Writing: I have not been keeping up on our assignments, dictation has not happened once this year, copywork does happen, but it is included in their curriculum.

This is a good thing to do now while I am planning out next year. It gives me something to plan. Now to read everyone else's responses...and remember NOT to kick my own butt.

Faithe

ETA: SCIENCE!!! I forgot all about SCIENCE!!! Ok, we are doing some science, just not from our curriculum. DD is only on MOD 4 of GEN SCI, but we spent 9 weeks on Mod. 1 as a unit study....sigh....Time to get busy!

Edited by Mommyfaithe

My big one is Art. My kids love art and make up "projects" on their own, but I know they would be thrilled to do it formally every week. I also started the year doing a very easy, informal composer study that they enjoyed, but we haven't done that for months. Ok, now I feel like a failure. :tongue_smilie:

Another Art failure here.

Music too (ducking).

I wanted to be MORE into history, ds is doing modern times after all, but all we've done is read it. I wanted to do MORE science experiments, but that's not happening either. Again, we read about science, we just don't do much of it :(

Art. DD draws constantly, but when it comes to actually TEACHING art, I fail big-time. I think I may need to contract this one out.

Science. I started the year with good intentions of doing all this nice hands-on stuff...but it's devolved into doing hands-on only at Mad Science class and co-op, and doing worksheets from Enchanted Learning and Teacher File Box at home.

Honestly our biggest failing here is not getting out to be involved with the homeschool co-op that I joined. The fieldtrips look great but it kicks up social anxiety for me and the eldest, I don't really know anyone in the co-op so that makes it harder. No formal outside activities at all, just school, going out for library/shopping and church once or twice a week. I know they should do more but it's so hard just keeping up their schoolwork and maintaining the house and laundry at a bare minimum... Oh well, you can't be super mom! Maybe next year we will neglect some of our studies and so more social activities. LOL:)

I feel like we should be doing...but aren't for various bad reasons:

...Art projects...Just can't find anything that is worth the mess (I know, bad mom)

Phys. Ed. This is the first year in 8 years my kids are not swimming competitively. It has been a freezing cold snowy winter. I like my kids physically fit, but I am so burnt out on competitive sports. Ideas please....

:lol: It's not as bad as it looks. Our lists are pretty similar and I have less kids :D

I bought Lifepac for dd next year (I figure as long as we do SOME formal art before they graduate I'm not too bad). It doesn't look like there is much mess to that, but it's for older students. I have Art with a Purpose for the boys... we do one project a monthish and that's not really messy either.

PE, we just started trying to meet the national standards. Run a mile in the morning (walk, crawl, job, skip, whatever). Do situps for a few minutes. Stretches and things. I plan on taking them to the park to work on their pulling up skills soon. hth

Art here too. :leaving:

I had all intentions of using Drawing With Children this year, but it's just not open and go enough for me. I don't like art so I need a lot of hand holding. I already have a better one lined up for next year, so we'll just call this year a bust and hope for a better one next year! ;)

Art here too. :leaving:

I had all intentions of using Drawing With Children this year, but it's just not open and go enough for me. I don't like art so I need a lot of hand holding. I already have a better one lined up for next year, so we'll just call this year a bust and hope for a better one next year! ;)

I own that. We tried to use that.

It requires more creativity (or something) from the parent than I have to offer.

EXACTLY! :lol: I really don't have a creative bone in my body. I need there to be step by step instructions for art.

I was really disappointed. With the rave reviews I was so excited. Then I look at it and think............. "Are we supposed to do this for hours a day?!? Where are the projects??? Why all the exercises?!?"

Ugh, I found other art programs that have projects and objectives. :lol: I love art, I'm just not that good at it.

Jennifer! Take it easier on yourself! You have a newborn AND young school-aged children! Just getting yourself dressed before dinner is a major accomplishment. There are years and years and years and years ahead in which to do all of those lovely things you want to do!

Hmm.

Instrumental music (flute)---I wasn't able to find an ensemble for dd to play with that worked with the rest of our schedule. She's been noodling around with the flute on her own. I think I might find a highschooler to give her private lessons over the summer, and then I'll try again for an ensemble in the fall.

Art---but I'm not stessed about that.

Writing---She hasn't done as much as I had planned, just writing around history and science, but she did participate in NaNoWriMo this year :)

French is going slower than I had thought (nothing for an entire month because I was so sick) but again, I'm not stressed about that. Slow and steady wins the race.

Piano - I had planned to teach this myself and bough two different programs. I still haven't managed to make time. Hopefully, will get to it this summer.

Spanish - I just haven't ever found a program that we like. I'm planning to subscribe to Discovery Streaming starting in the summer in hopes of finding our answer.

I own that. We tried to use that.

It requires more creativity (or something) from the parent than I have to offer.

This is ou exact problem! I've been trying to use this for years. I wish there was something easier.

We have neglected art, nature study, and science far too long. And I wish I could play more and hold my baby more. I have a strained intercostal muscle that has had me in constant pain for 2 months. :(

I was really disappointed. With the rave reviews I was so excited. Then I look at it and think............. "Are we supposed to do this for hours a day?!? Where are the projects??? Why all the exercises?!?"

Ugh, I found other art programs that have projects and objectives. :lol: I love art, I'm just not that good at it.

Ok....share what art programs you have found...:bigear:

Faithe

Jennifer! Take it easier on yourself! You have a newborn AND young school-aged children! Just getting yourself dressed before dinner is a major accomplishment. There are years and years and years and years ahead in which to do all of those lovely things you want to do!

:iagree::iagree:

Or, you won't get them. From a Momwith grown children, let me just say, they will remember your smile & lap more than whether or not you finished the Latin curriculum...or even started one. Hugs and kisses go a long way to making a calm and peaceful homeschool. Your kiddies are so very young. Put your duckies in a row...prepare for the upper years, and enjoy these younger ones. They go so fast. Don't fall behind on the major things and the minors will find their place.

Faithe....

Lifepac is looking doable, it's a workbook and (from what I've glanced at so far) is pretty self driven (thank goodness!). That's for dd.

Luke and Drew are using (whever I get around to it) Art with a Purpose. It's really more coloring and cutting and glueing than anything else, but I'm just glad to have something that is considered art :lol:

Music theory and piano (actually keyboard) is not getting done ever since DD finished Music Ace. I have level 1 of Faber Piano Adventures but DD resists the work of actually learning to play the keyboard rather than just fooling around. I really need to outsource it but we don't have the budget :(

Geography as a formal subject rather than just informally looking at maps & atlases in the course of our history studies also is lagging.

We haven't been doing any formal science or history, but DD doesn't miss either subject at all, and honestly neither do I. I had originally intended to do Spanish, but we dropped that, too. I asked DD if she thinks we're missing anything, and she likes what we're doing just as it is. Science and History were boring the heck out of her, and Spanish we just didn't have quite the right resources to hold her attention with it even though she wanted to learn it.

Next year we're going back to Latin, she might get Spanish as an elective in her enrichment program, she'll probably have some kind of history and science there, too, and we can continue to focus on the basics in our home lessons.

The other thing I think I should be doing is having this baby, but apparently he still disagrees, too!:tongue_smilie:

My main one is science. It is my nemesis. Like someone else said, I hate doing experiments. Hate it. If it was just reading, I'd have no problem. But I really can't stand doing experiments. Fortunately, my kids do have a great science class that they do at homeschool co-op once a week. So, I guess it could be worse. :001_huh:

I've also fallen down on music. My kids were taking piano, but we really didn't like the teacher, so we dropped it. I've been meaning to find a new teacher, but haven't. :glare: I need to get on that.

I would be a huge failure in art if I didn't farm it out. Luckily, we have a wonderful art program that my girls go to every week (an hour and a half each time). In addition, they also take art at the homeschool co-op.

I bought Rosetta Stone German 2 years ago and haven't even installed it yet. :glare:

And I am pretty sure that my girls have also forgotten most of their cursive handwriting since we don't practice it enough.

I'm glad that I'm not alone! :lol:

We started this year planning to continute Spanish and begin a Elementary Greek. My son hated both and didn't get very far before I gave up.

We've tried several approaches to Latin, Greek and Spanish over the last few years, and not much seems to stick. I finally decided we'd just take a break and try something new next year.

Right now it's science. :tongue_smilie:I have kids that love science, who will dig out the big book of experiments on weekends and play with it even. We love our science curricula, too. Why does it keep getting bumped? :glare:

We're putting the books up in a week, well, packing them up, actually. I'll leave the playful science stuff out for awhile. They can do messy experiments in the already mostly packed dining room while I work on their rooms. When we restart, I. will. plan. science. better.