Menu

What Do You Feel Like You Should Be Doing, But Aren't

SnMomof7

Art, Music, some kind of drawing since I know DD would love it, simple memory work (like her address, days of the week, months in the year).

I have more regret with dd2 as I was doing SO much more with dd1 at her age. I need to carve out more time for learning letters, numbers and colors as she BEGS to do 'school like Sissy.' We do Starfall every day, and occasional puzzles but I know she'd love the focused attention and would soak it all up. I may need dh's help with taking dd1 somewhere else as she loves to answer for dd2 :tongue_smilie:.

For those of you who want something open and go for art, try Artistic Pursuits. http://www.artisticpursuits.com/ I bought mine from Rainbow Resources and am still waiting to receive it. I bought the supplies from Mister Art. They will automatically put the right things in your cart if you click on the link on the Artistic Pursuits website and you get it all for about half price. My son is really into art and I didn't want him to miss out so I went with this. It also has art appreciation included.

Might I just say that I think this is one of my all time favorite threads! I don't feel quite so bad now. I hold you all in such high regard that I couldn't possibly ever think any of you are inadequate, so by comparison, I'm not inadequate either. Yah, that's what I'm sticking with.

Okay, music doesn't get done formally, unless you count my dc learning the lyrics to all of my favorite Pink Floyd, Queen and Police songs.

Art doesn't get done formally but the middle 3 dc do art all of the time using a Discovering Great Artist book and ideas off the internet. They do like to copy the works of different artist...so, I guess in essence, they are self teaching some art.

Formal science and history isn't happening with the two oldest. But, one is doing a dolphin lapbook right now and one is reading through and taking notes on a Life Science text book. They both did part of Medieval history at the beginning of the year.

Formal literature study isn't happening with the two oldest either. They are both reading but no where near what many on this board are doing. They just don't like reading which is something hard to fight against. My oldest did surprise me the other day though when she asked to read the LOtR books next year. (She finally got into The Hobbit) I showed her LLfLOtR and she said she would like to do it...so YAH! we will actually have a real lit study next year, at least for her.

In general we just don't seem to be able to get through a single week without some type of derailment. So, I guess that would fall under this thread topic because I feel like I should be better at keeping us on track but I let so many things distract me. We are only supposed to have 12 more weeks of school left until our 6 week summer break and I don't think we are going to be able to meet that deadline. Some days I feel like we aren't getting anything done but I look at where the bookmarks are in my TMs and I realize that we are about 3\4 of the way through most of them. I'm definitely ready for a new start in July though. New curriculum (that will hopefully hold me more accountable) and new plans are just around the corner.:D

Taking care of myself. :glare:

I feel very happy with our curriculum, and that my boys are learning everything I feel is important (grammar, writing, latin, spelling, memorization, math, history, music). However, It takes up ALL of my free time. I don't make time for anything I enjoy like hobbies, exercise, friends, etc.

Ok....share what art programs you have found...:bigear:

Faithe

Artistic Pursuits....check it out. It's a wonderful program, and art is getting done at least once a week at our house now.

EXACTLY! :lol: I really don't have a creative bone in my body. I need there to be step by step instructions for art.

Artistic Pursuits is very scripted......you would really like it.

For those of you who want something open and go for art, try Artistic Pursuits. http://www.artisticpursuits.com/ I bought mine from Rainbow Resources and am still waiting to receive it. I bought the supplies from Mister Art. They will automatically put the right things in your cart if you click on the link on the Artistic Pursuits website and you get it all for about half price. My son is really into art and I didn't want him to miss out so I went with this. It also has art appreciation included.

I second Artistic Pursuits! I got my supplies from RR, but the actual curriculum book used on the for sale board.

Ok, now my laundry list.

Science experiments and other hands on. We READ a TON of science related books we check out weekly from the library, but we don't really get experiments or other fun hands on projects done on a regular basis.

PE/Outdoor play and things like Nature walks, etc. My girls take ballet, and they play out in the backyard, but that's about it. We really need to get outside more, into nature. At least I did sign up for that Nature Hike field trip next week, lol!

Taking care of myself. But I'm not referring to hobbies, etc., but rather REALLY taking care of myself. Somehow their doctor's appointments always get booked, but mine get put on the back burner. I need to go to the eye doctor, the dentist, the hairdresser and get a well woman's exam. All of these are long overdue.

Sleep...have an 11-month-old so never get enough.

History and science are consistently on the backburner for us. We tend to read books here and there or watch science shows. Also hate doing experiments...yuck!

We could be doing better with writing (have several formal writing programs), but my dd is not very weak in that area since she likes to write, so that usually gets put to the side. Also, been meaning to get around to English From the Roots Up, but every time we start it we get distracted by something else and then I forget about it.

We definitely could be doing more for PE. We used to get out more and do homeschooling PE classes, gymnastics, etc, but lately there is nothing my dd is interested in and it is hard taking out a little one during random hours of the day. Thinking about getting a trampoline in the backyard for exercise!

I have to say at the very least we are doing well keeping up with the basics like math, spelling, and other language arts and I am getting exercise for myself every day (which relieves a lot of stress). My top priorities for this year were math and spelling so I could get my dd caught up to where she needs to be for 8th/9th grade in the next year or so.

Next year, probably we will focus more on PE, writing, doing research/study skills, and getting involved with more outside activities since the little one will be old enough to get involved more.

:iagree::iagree:

Or, you won't get them. From a Momwith grown children, let me just say, they will remember your smile & lap more than whether or not you finished the Latin curriculum...or even started one. Hugs and kisses go a long way to making a calm and peaceful homeschool. Your kiddies are so very young. Put your duckies in a row...prepare for the upper years, and enjoy these younger ones. They go so fast. Don't fall behind on the major things and the minors will find their place.

Faithe....

This is such a wonderfully refreshing post to read! Thank you, thank you! :)

If there is some subject that you ladies feel horribly guilty about neglecting, then consider making it an area to focus as you plan for the future. What is "major" vs. "minor" can change somewhat from year to year. Homeschooling can take on a different focus at different times, depending on the needs of your family.

I noticed lots of posters mentioned cursive. I decided at the start of the school year that we needed to focus on improving handwriting and spelling. We spend more time on those subjects this year than in years past. We're making significant improvements in those areas. Next year, I will probably put less emphasis on those areas and place a stronger emphasis on grammar and creative writing.

Memory work- vp flashcards, poetry and other stuff. I just cant work up the motivation to get it done.

and Latin.

We've had such a crazy year and a half and I am so thankful that we are getting done what we are. I'm not feeling too guilty over the memory work becasue we have order and peace.

And I am also really thankful for our CD's right now- SOTW and IEW's poetry and CC cycle 3. It is filling in my gaps.

I have completely let science go. Which is sad since science was always my favorite subject. It's just that right now we're so focused on Phonics, Reading and Math. I just keep telling myself that if I help dd become a strong reader then she can always persue science later, but I still feel guilty. :001_unsure:

Well...I haven't duplicated myself, but I'm still working on it. :D

Seriously, we need to be more involved in things like music (piano) and organized sports. We are in our last semester of a master's degree and anticipate a move soon. It's hard to get involved when you know your leaving. :tongue_smilie:

What Do You Feel Like You Should Be Doing, But Aren't?

Umm. . .let's see. . .

losing weight

laying on a beach with a good book

taking in a good Russell Crowe movie

uncluttering the basement

shopping for an updated wardrobe

enjoying a pineapple-cherry shake (yes, I know this conflicts with the first task, but a girl's gotta eat :lol:)

walking through the park with a good CD playing in my ear

getting a massage

posting a very lengthy FS post to help with aforementioned decluttering

Oh, did you just want "school stuff" :D

Memory work- vp flashcards, poetry and other stuff. I just cant work up the motivation to get it done.

and Latin.

I'd forgotten that so thoroughly, I'd didn't even remember to add it to my list :lol:

And, the year you've had makes what your missing seem really small... small enough that I forgot we were supposed to be doing that. ;)

I have completely let science go. Which is sad since science was always my favorite subject. It's just that right now we're so focused on Phonics, Reading and Math. I just keep telling myself that if I help dd become a strong reader then she can always pursue science later, but I still feel guilty. :001_unsure:

:grouphug: If your child is young enough to be still learning to read, you have *PLENTY* of time to do science later on.

My 2nd doesn't do much in the way of science except for reading Let's Read and Find Out Science and Magic School Bus picture books (killing 2 birds with 1 stone) and watching Bill Nye the Science Guy DVD's (allowing me to take a shower or make dinner or whatever).

Art and music/composer definitely. We've started piano lessons - 3 TIMES - and not followed through. Sad part, I'm a piano teacher and I don't feel like standing over making her practice, when I sit beside her all day and make her do school work - We both need a break, KWIM? I've done better this year adding in more hands-on stuff for history (not a lot, but enough it's been fun) and I need to do that with science.

Lastly, read-alouds - We started Peter Pan in January, both of us really enjoy it, and still are half-way through since I get to it only once a week. But the basics get done everyday, and we both are enjoying HS so much more than 1st grade, so in all, it's a success. Great post, BTW, since we moms are so great at beating ourselves up since we think we're the only ones not doing it all. I like reading that everyone else struggles with the same things I do.

Writing...anything...for DS8. We stopped WWE2 in anticipation of changing course this spring. I'm excited we're getting ready for the change because his study/schoolwork muscles are flabby.

Memory work

Math extras like games, memorizing, CWP, Miquon. Working on this though!

For those wanting to get memory work more regular, I highly recommend setting up a file box or binder like SCM suggests. Then include a box to check for it on your lesson plan. This gets it done regularly and painlessly in our home.

What do you put in this box? We set it up for scripture memory but I'm curious about "other uses". Do you use it as a group or does each kiddo work their own box? If I was using it for multiple subjects my box would be huge . . . do you use a binder or a box? :)

1. Art - I'm using How to Draw with Children, which I love, but it's just hard to have the patience to get it out when a 4 year old is participating!

2. Foreign language - not doing anything, but it's our first year.....

3. Physical Education - I do not have a structured plan. My kids played soccer in the fall and are doing track this spring.... they play outside a lot but I wonder if we should do more?

4. Shakespeare - I really wanted to do Shakespeare with them this year, but, alas I don't think we are going to get to it!

We are consistently doing math, grammar, spelling, science, history and Bible.

Jennifer,

Your post inspired me to get to what I was putting off. ;) I haven't had any energy lately, so we've been dragging through some things.

Today we did Handicrafts (burlap sewing) and a fun, hands-on science lesson. The girls had fun, we'll do a read aloud in a few minutes, and then it's Nap Time for everyone. Yeah! Thanks for posting. :D

After reading all these posts, I notice an overall trend...WE ARE ALL DOING GREAT!

Truely, in the vast scheme of things, how important is it going to be if we do not teach art, music, Latin, logic, etc? Our kids are getting the best core they could have because they are getting it from someone who truely, unflailingly LOVES them! And THAT is the best education anyone can have.

everything i had planned on top of the 3 r's didn't happen even close to plan....science, world geography, specific lit, spanish, music theory, memory work, art...but he is working through mm 1A, his letters are coming along through copy work and we just finished opg today!

the other thing i was supposed to work on this year was establishing good habits overall...which hasn't happened either. all of that said, i am 3/4 of the way through my first year of homeschooling and still want to do it next year. i am very thankful for this board.:001_smile:

I'm glad everyone is having fun with this! It's so easy to beat ourselves up over our perceived shortcomings, but rest assured - you aren't alone! We ALSO aren't getting in music, picture study, or composer study. And hey, I totally count PE as the children running around the house, dancing in the living room, and jumping on the beds. Totally.

FWIW, we didn't do ANY history or science last year outside of informal read alouds of picture books (think Magic School Bus here folks!) We moved twice and I was pregnant. Enough said! It is getting done this year though :)!

Reading many of these posts and also thinking about what we do and do not do consistently, I have come up with this idea. There are many things we are not getting to and many we get to occasionally. I think with subjects like art, music, and even science, if I picked just ONE of those and scheduled it for next week it would be good. It wouldn't be overwhelming, like saying, "Okay, next week we need to do art, music, and science because we've been slacking in those areas." Then I could schedule a different one for the following week. Okay, so it's not much art to do it, say, every three weeks, but it is more than doing it once or twice in the winter. What do you guys think?

Dictation didn't make sense to me, either, for my natural writer older son. However, it was work well done for my writing challenged younger son, as is copywork, which I continue to this day (I could still be doing dictation with success, too, but just haven't).... It really does help them start to be able to hear the natural pauses where they will insert commas, periods, etc. It really does help them to put spelling skills into practice....

I, myself, have ignored logic for most of this year. I hate doing logic. I keep promising myself that I'm going to resume it (maybe next week)....

I put mine into an outside art class last year and he loves it, so I've let him continue it this year. I sometimes question whether or not he's really getting anything out of it, then he'll go through a sketching phase, as he's been doing the past week, and I'll re-comit to allowing him to continue with it.... If only I could figure out a way to get my boys to STOP sketching on lined paper (yes, they have plenty of artists notebooks of all sizes and paper types)....

Reading many of these posts and also thinking about what we do and do not do consistently, I have come up with this idea. There are many things we are not getting to and many we get to occasionally. I think with subjects like art, music, and even science, if I picked just ONE of those and scheduled it for next week it would be good. It wouldn't be overwhelming, like saying, "Okay, next week we need to do art, music, and science because we've been slacking in those areas." Then I could schedule a different one for the following week. Okay, so it's not much art to do it, say, every three weeks, but it is more than doing it once or twice in the winter. What do you guys think?

It sounds like a great start! :001_smile:

Poetry, the classification system, pronouns, prepositions, Latin prepositions, scout oath/promise, metric prefixes, the last paragraph of Patrick Henry's The War Inevitable speech, Egypt's principal pharaohs, books of the Bible, and such. That's just a sampling of the box nearest me, which happens to be Joy's. Our roots for vocabulary are about the only thing that don't land in that box. Those are so plentiful they have their own box which is only divided into three sections: daily, odd, even.

Each kid has their own box. They look like these, but they're index card sized. I'm considering something like this for my big kids next year, to keep their roots and everything in one handy place. Once in awhile we do work on a piece as a family, like the Nicene Creed. When they have it down well enough for it to go straight to the odd/even section I'll print a card for each kid.

Moon,

I am truly fascinated and beyond impressed with how you run your school. I have so much to learn . . . I flounder. Do you have any previous posts or threads where you explain, in DETAIL, how you flesh this out? I really do have several questions about these boxes.

1. How do you decide what to put in each kid's box?

2. How does the daily review look and work? Each kid separately? On their own? With you?

3. What do you mean by odd/even (odd days on calendar/even days?)? Do you do the CM box approach first and then move to the odd/even after they've mastered the material? Details please.

4. Sheesh. I know there is more but I can't think of the questions now.

Can I visit you and take "Mom of Many Classically Educating while Nursing a Baby, Teaching Latin and Moving" classes?? I need them. And, I'm done nursing and NOT moving right now. Oh, and I only have 4 children. :D You are one of my WTM heroines!