Menu

Are You on Track with Your Local Schools?

mom2bee

If you're students had to wake up and go to PS tomorrow, how do you think they'd do on a strictly academic sense in their 'age based grade'?

How do you think your students current work compares with their district peers?

Are you mostly ahead or mostly behind the 'publicly schooled pack' so to speak?

I know a lot of students are all over the place in abilities (3rd grade reading, 1st grade math and such) but when you average out all their grades and levels, how do you think they'd do?

Just wondering...

My dd would not make the cut off in my state so she would either have to be tested in or go straight into the 2nd grade next year. Now we are finishing R & S 2 in 2 weeks we have finished WWE 1 this week. She writes a 4 pt paragraph "essay" several times a week. She has finished Saxon 2 and we are almost in MM B. She will be halfway through 3rd grade LA by fall. Her reading level tested 2 weeks ago at 8th grade second month so I'm not worried if she had to go to PS. She would be bored in 2nd next year and if in 3rd, I imagine a bit challenged, especially math.

Guest Dulcimeramy

I do keep track of what the local ps is doing, and all of my children are far ahead.

I'm not saying that they are ahead of all public schoolers all over the country, but they are ahead of Indiana's standards as declared by the DOE and their academic performance is ahead of the local school's.

(Except in dance standards for first grade. When it comes to artistic expression through dance, my 6yo is not caught up to Indiana's standards for average little boys.)

Someone used this phrase in another thread last week, and I think it would be true of my boys as well:

"I don't send my kids to ps because I don't want them to be unpaid teacher's aides."

Mine would be bored senseless. The only area where either of them would be performing merely "on grade level" would be dd's math -- and she'd probably still be able to go from thinking that math is really difficult to thinking it's not so bad.

I don't have any idea. I have no idea what they do at the local public school all day. My son is only a first grader, though, so I'm sure he could catch up quickly.

How do you find out what they do in the local schools? I checked the local school website and I see that they use Everyday Math, Step Up to Writing, Harcourt Reading, etc. That doesn't really tell me much about what they're learning, though, or how long they spend on each subject.

Academically, I think dd7 would be pretty far ahead. However, her birthday is 9 days past the cut-off so she would be in 1st grade instead of 2nd where I think of her being. Emotionally she would probably fit best in 1st grade. I sort of dread what would happen if she had to go.

Dd4 would likely fit into pre-school pretty well, though.

Mama Anna

I've been pondering this exact question quite a bit lately. Dd wants to go back to school next year, and I think for her that would probably not be a catatrophe so I'm seriously considering it. (Her brother is my prisoner, though.)

She was behind when she came home, mostly due to her then undiagnosed ADHD, which is now much better managed. When she came home at the end of first grade she was at an early kindergarten reading level, and had to count fingers to do any sort of math. I used first grade materials for her second grade class and started with very basic stuff. She's now solid in her addition and subtraction, including multiple digit numbers with regrouping, and her reading is probably late second grade to early third grade level, though that's just a guess. I'm going to test her here in a bit so I can communicate better with the school about her progress, but haven't done it yet. She also has a MUCH better attitude about learning now that her ADHD is under control and it doesn't all seem impossible to her, and she knows she doesn't need to feel "dumb" if lack of focus causes problems with comprehension--she just needs to do a refocusing 'game' and then try again.

I'm going to try to get them to put her back in at the same grade level as the class she was with before, since her neighborhood friends are in that grade, but she might still need some extra help. I'm counting on the fact that she can't possibly be the only child in that grade who isn't ahead of grade level in everything. She is very cheerful and cooperative and eager to learn, and is a wonderful child for a teacher to have in a classroom.

But we'll see. If the school isn't willing to work with us on that I may just keep her home. I'm guessing they'll be good about it, though. We have pretty good schools here and almost all the people we've worked with through the school over the years for various reasons have been wonderful, so I'm anticipating a good transition.

If you're students had to wake up and go to PS tomorrow, how do you think they'd do on a strictly academic sense in their 'age based grade'?

DD#1 doesn't make the age level cut off for the grade I have her in, so she'd be one bored monkey in 3rd. If I could convince them to put her in 4th, she would still be ahead in math but probably not able to churn out the amount of pure busy-work writing that our local public schools expect. Her grades would be lower in language arts because of her poor spelling ability and wish to not write very much. Her reading comprehension/fluency is way above grade level. I'd definitely want her in 4th vs. (age-correct) 3rd.

DD#2 would be a little ahead in math. She would probably be in the lower reading level group, and her teacher would be exasperated with her until next fall because she writes just about everything in cursive. She loves to churn out writing but her spelling is purely phonetic with no regard to the spelling rules I've taught her. The other little issue would be that she wants to draw & color all day long so she would probably get into trouble for the drawings of horses & girls that would grace the edges & white space of all her papers.

DD#3 doesn't meet the age cut off for Kindergarten by a mile but would probably fit in perfectly scholastic-wise with her peers by the end of the "school year."

I would like to hear *how* people are comparing their homeschooling to their local public schools.

When she was in the first grade, because we enrolled in a home-learning type charter school, I did look at the state's standards for each grade (because I had to show how my curriculum would meet them). But they were fairly vaguely worded, as I recall, and would be rather open to interpretation. Basically useless for comparing ps to what I'm doing at home.

Annual testing is not required here, so I don't know how she would compare in that way either. When she was in the third grade, she did take an achievement test as part of an educational evaluation, and she scored at or slightly above grade level in every area. Up until that time, we had been doing a VERY relaxed academic program. We have gotten much more consistent and rigorous since then, so I would certainly hope that her scores would have improved! But the IQ portion of that evaluation showed that while she is very bright, she has a processing disorder. So I honestly just don't know how much this might handicap her compared to her peers, or affect her ability to function well in a classroom setting.

It is a very good question, and something that I want to be aware of. Not because she is likely to EVER go to ps in this state. But because we may move. And because she may go to a private school for high school. And because even if I homeschool her all the way through high school, I still have to be on track for preparing her for a college education at a reputable school. So, yes, I would love to know whether or not we are really keeping up with the Joneses when it comes to her education. I certainly believe that we are, but then I worry that maybe I'm not objective about it. I guess I really should just order an achievement test.

I would like to hear *how* people are comparing their homeschooling to their local public schools.

I talk to my kids' publicly schooled friends.

:iagree: There are two school districts near us. One is about a grade level behind the other. (If you switch from the nearest to the next one over, you sometimes have to be held back to repeat a grade. I don't know of anyone switching from the farther to the closer, but I'd assume you might be able to skip a grade.)

I know approximately what they teach in each lower grade in spelling/ writing/ reading and math facts just by talking to the other kids in the neighborhood.

Guest Dulcimeramy

I feel I can confidently compare because Indiana's academic standards are expressed very thoroughly.

Also, several of my cousins teach in the local public school system and they share information.

We don't know any! :lol: Nik goes to Cub Scouts with a couple of public schooled kids, but I don't know their mothers and he isn't interested in hanging out with them outside of Scouts, so I doubt the topic would ever come up. He attends the Scouts group that the kids in our homeschool group attend, anyway, and not the one in our town. Marc's niece and nephews are also in pubic schools. I've asked my SIL, who has a first grade boy also, and she gives me very vague responses. Everyone else we know homeschools!

I feel I can confidently compare because Indiana's academic standards are expressed very thoroughly.

I should look again. That was four years ago now (who knows how many times they've been revised), and it was for first grade. Maybe they get more clear as you move up in grade. I'll check it out.

Also, several of my cousins teach in the local public school system and they share information.

I know approximately what they teach in each lower grade in spelling/ writing/ reading and math facts just by talking to the other kids in the neighborhood.

I guess I have talked casually to friends with kids in ps, but not at a deep enough level to compare well.

One thing I have noticed, though, is that the requirements at the early elementary level seem ridiculously hard to me. Writing multiple paragraph book reports in first grade?!? You've got to be kidding me! I think I was still working on forming letters legibly in first grade, and I turned out alright! But then somewhere around or after fourth grade, it's like the standards really slack off. What kids are doing in middle school doesn't sound challenging at all. And the biggest challenge in the high schools around here is keeping the kids from dropping out. Somewhere along the way, something goes horribly wrong. I don't know what it is. But I guess there's not much use in comparing my daughter's homeschooling to a broken system. I should just look at the standards in a state that is reputed to have good schools!

Guest Dulcimeramy

That thought occurred to me, too, when I was trying to determine if Math Mammoth lined up with Indiana's standards.

I decided it would be helpful to compare to other states that do better in math. I learned that MM is a grade ahead here, but on track for California.

Mine are doing better than in the upper grades (she's the best student in her classes with a 99 this marking period) and the littles are perhaps on target or slightly below in the lower grades.

I would say that about 6/7th is when we hit the stretch where they catch up and surpass. So any earlier comparisons don't really matter to me.

Mine are doing better than in the upper grades (she's the best student in her classes with a 99 this marking period) and the littles are perhaps on target or slightly below in the lower grades.

I would say that about 6/7th is when we hit the stretch where they catch up and surpass. So any earlier comparisons don't really matter to me.

This is us as well. We don't really surpass, but we catch up and stay close to what the PS counterparts.

My gut feeling is that he is 1-2 years ahead in math, about grade level on reading, and 2-3 years behind in writing and spelling. His ability levels reflect his aptitude (he's very good at seeing relationships and patterns, and very dyslexic) and I don't know how he'd do in PS! He could technically go to the next grade up for math, but he isn't used to being taught in a classroom and he might just zone out and not "get it" like he does at home. He would have to be pulled out for spelling & get accommodations on writing.

He is weak and uncoordinated, and absolutely tone-deaf, so PE and music would probably be horrible for him. The poor kid really thinks the microphone must be broken when he's doing karaoke - he doesn't realize that he is THAT out of tune. ;)

He thrives on 1:1 tutoring, and can only work in a silent environment, so PS may be a bad fit even if the curriculum could work.

Now, my DD was only home for 8th grade, but in that year she learned a ton about being self-motivated and seeing the value in education. Previously, she worked below her potential. She is back in PS for 9th grade and is excelling in school and pushing herself.

Edited by ondreeuh

Dd would be far ahead in math even though she's only starting SM 3a. I suspect our local schools are really lame in math because of the astonished looks and "What grade are you in?" that she gets when she's doing work before ballet along with the psed girls. She'd be fine in reading, grammar and spelling, probably a bit ahead, but her ability to churn out reams of creative writing would be lacking. She occasionally writes a "book", but only when SHE wants to.

Ds would be woefully behind regular students and quite a bit ahead of his age mates in resource room. In fact, I'm not sure he'd qualify for resource room and a regular classroom would be a disaster.

In any case, I doubt the kids will go to ps any time soon.

I recently visited the webpage for the boys' old school and pulled up some of the teacher blogs, etc.

My oldest (at home) would be behind in math now but our scope and sequence has him on level by the end of the year. Just a different order for a few things. His writing is behind but that doesn't bother me.

My youngest has severe dyslexia and would be so far behind in reading, spelling, writing, etc. He is on level for math. But, that is why we brought him home this year was his anxiety related to his dyslexia. He'd still be behind if we had left him in public school.

They want to go back next year. Dh and I are not making that decision now. But, I did check to see where we'd be.

I know a lot of students are all over the place in abilities (3rd grade reading, 1st grade math and such) but when you average out all their grades and levels, how do you think they'd do?

Just wondering...

DD would be at 'grade level' in everything but math only because we're playing catch up where PS failed my dd last year. If I had continued on the path with our PS, she'd be 1 year behind in everything, I'm sure. Next year, I'm optimistic we will be ahead as she's flourishing at home and in private school. :)

The principal is our neighbor, fun, fun, let me tell ya! :lol:

Mine would be bored senseless. The only area where either of them would be performing merely "on grade level" would be dd's math -- and she'd probably still be able to go from thinking that math is really difficult to thinking it's not so bad.

:iagree:We take the CAT test the years we are required to, otherwise we take the state test each year so I know exactly where the youngest stands in comparison to his peers. At the end of this year (7th grade), the district is allowing us to test up to 8th grade. He exceeds in all categories.

That said, he may not remember to put his name on his paper.

my daughter would be fine academically & socially, the biggest adjustment for her would be the schedule. my son may surprise me, but my gut response is that he would not do well at all. academically i have not prepared him in the area of writing that would be expected of him (which is A LOT here). also, i think it would be emotionally difficult for him ...but like i said, i could be way off and he may be just fine. thank goodness i'm not a forced position to find out. by 3rd grade, i expect he'll be totally caught up academically though. this was the case with my daughter as well.

I have no idea. ::shrugs::

This. I have no idea what the school down the street is doing, and it has no bearing on how I choose to educate my own.

I know our writing would be "behind" at this level, because we've intentionally taken a different path to the same destination. One child would probably be behind in math. On the whole I'd say we're mostly ahead.

I pulled my DD to HS when her parochial school suggested putting her in a 2/3 split class for this school year. Since she'd be considered a Kindergartner by age in Public school,or possibly a 1st grader if they accepted her private school K as sufficient (public schools have cutoffs for both K and 1st-so it is entirely possible that they would have to place her back in K if she were to go to public school tomorrow just due to age), I'm not worried about her keeping up should she have to return to school. I'd be more worried about them keeping up with her. I think trying nearly drove her Parochial K teacher crazy last year!

Academically my 1st grader would be ahead. She is the type of student they would love. She'd be a real 'teacher's helper'. My 4th grade 9yo would be on grade level in math and science and far ahead in history (and mythology if it were a course) but probably behind in his grammar/writing. He would probably be behind if he had been in PS. It just seems to be his weakness.

Academically, my oldest is working quite a bit ahead of the state standards but the amount of physical writing PS would require would be a big issue.

DS would be quite a bit ahead in reading and spelling, about grade level in math, and behind on physical writing. Also, as he's a very high energy little boy, I don't think he'd have the patience to sit there quietly and do his work.

Mine would be fine, probably a bit ahead over all. His writing skills would need some work, since he hates it and I find it exhausting to keep forcing the issue. (I had the same problem with my daughter, by the way. But she caught on quite well when she went to college and had to manage.)

My son has done several of his classes through Florida Virtual School, which follows the public school standards. And he's working ahead of his grade-by-age level in all of those courses.

As for how I know enough to compare, we do have friends whose kids are in the local public schools. And I do chat with them. I also spend time whenever I'm desiging a course from scratch searching for and reading syllabi for similar courses in local schools.

I suspect my son would find the amount of work somewhat overwhelming, especially if many of the assignments were too easy and thus tedious. In terms of sheer academic knowledge and capability, though, he be more than fine.

This is one of the reasons I'm choosing to homeschool. Dd is a September birthday with a September 1st cut off, she wouldn't have been allowed to go to PS this year and should be starting K next year. I have been teaching her K this year. My MIL is a K teacher and comparing the two, dd is a bit behind in reading and handwriting, but not much, she is at grade level for math. Next year she will be ahead of her PS peers academically, but not socially. It is scary to think of sending my very sensitive dd to a 1st grade class where everyone will know the social rules of the classroom and she wouldn't. Hopefully it won't be an issue.

I know we are on or above grade level in Math and English. The Virginia Department of Education releases their Standard of learning Tests once they are complete and although my son is currently in 2nd grade on paper I am confident he could pass the 3rd grade test. (This is the youngest grade they test)

As for history and Science....we are behind and ahead. We don't follow the schools idea of what should be taught when, but I am sure that if he had to go to public school that he could fit right in.

As for writing.....nope, I am sure he is behind in "creative writing" I don't encourage filling a composition notebook with misspelled words, and incorrect sentences for the sake of writing.

9 yro :Angel_anim: - about a grade ahead...

8 yro :biggrinjester: - at grade level (but maybe not in writing - he struggles with this), probably ahead in math

6 yro :willy_nilly: - probably at grade level, but I'm intentionally trying to take it easy with her until she matures a little

3 yro :smash: - on grade level :tongue_smilie:

For the heck of it, I just checked the 'core' (some nationalized core my state is now a part of) for the younger grades?

Pffft. They can have them.

You know, every once in a while I get a wild hair about getting my teaching degree. Well, looking over that site just made me jump in the Atlantic. What a bunch of bupkis. There is no way I'd sit in a class of 30 some odd kids and try and cram that crep down their throats so they can spit it out for a test.

Nope. If I ever teach it's going to be because I opened my own school. They can so shove their core.

My 8th grader would struggle BIG TIME.

My 6th grader would do OK after an adjustment period.

My 5th grader might struggle, but she would also be able to have a 504 plan, so once accommodations were in place she'd be fine.

My 2nd grader would be a mess.

My 1st grader would THRIVE.

Guest Dulcimeramy
For the heck of it, I just checked the 'core' (some nationalized core my state is now a part of) for the younger grades?

Pffft. They can have them.

You know, every once in a while I get a wild hair about getting my teaching degree. Well, looking over that site just made me jump in the Atlantic. What a bunch of bupkis. There is no way I'd sit in a class of 30 some odd kids and try and cram that crep down their throats so they can spit it out for a test.

Nope. If I ever teach it's going to be because I opened my own school. They can so shove their core.

Can you clarify? I'm not sure exactly how you feel about this.

:lol:

Guest Dulcimeramy

I feel the same way about Indiana standards. A mess!

At first glance it all looks very academic and education-y. Close up, you begin to pity the poor teachers. Nobody could teach that jumble to a big group of kids, especially when they have removed proper reading instruction from the curriculum.

Also, why a fourth grader needs to know three science topics yet a first grader needs to be a proficient dancer is way beyond my feeble understanding.

I feel the same way about Indiana standards. A mess!

At first glance it all looks very academic and education-y. Close up, you begin to pity the poor teachers. Nobody could teach that jumble to a big group of kids, especially when they have removed proper reading instruction from the curriculum.

Also, why a fourth grader needs to know three science topics yet a first grader needs to be a proficient dancer is way beyond my feeble understanding.

I'm subtle with my feelings, no? :D

As I was reading that I began to pity them, too. What a hamster wheel.

You know, it's like engineering. It all looks good on paper and everything looks up spiffy, but then you get it on the ground and the train rails don't align.

But the actual problem isn't in the engineering-the whole educational philosophy is off kilter.

DD is probably ahead in math, just based on my niece who's in the same grade in public school and gets straight A's. I know dd's ahead of her, at least, and given that she's getting A's, I imagine she's a good example of what the ps is doing. Granted that's in another state, but it's the only one I'm close enough to, to really be familiar with what they know. I do know my niece writes a LOT more than dd, but it's full of misspellings and poor grammar, so I don't care about that. DD would be on par or slightly ahead in spelling. I don't know where she is in reading. I gave her 3 reading tests and she tested right on target or ahead on all three, but she definitely doesn't seem advanced to me, so I'm guessing she's about average. My niece can read with better inflection, but she can't sound out words at all - she just skips words she doesn't know. DD would be ahead in science, but that's just the kind of kid she is - she's interested in that stuff. I don't know about "social studies"...I have no idea what they cover or how I'd know if she knew more or less.