Menu

What Handwriting Program is Your Third or Fourth Grader Using?

nova mama

What Handwriting Program is Your Third or Fourth Grader Using?  

1. 1. What Handwriting Program is Your Third or Fourth Grader Using?

• Handwriting without Tears
    • Zaner-Bloser
    • Getty-Dubay
    • Cursive First
    • A Reason for Handwriting
    • Penny Gardner
    • Other!!!

Dd is technically fifth grade, but I've had her keep working because her penmanship is truly 'below grade level,' if such a thing can be said.

She used HWT for printing, but switched to Spencerian for cursive. I'm having her start SmithHand whenever it arrives.

I use ZB for everyone. But, I don't use the grade level materials. We work on letter formation and letter joining from a white board and when they can write and join all letters well, we work on paper with ZB's online sheets.

I use their "self-instruction in handwriting" as a reference. It is meant for middle school or older, but I use it K - at least 4th, until they stop needing handwriting practice.

http://shop.zaner-bloser.com/p-905-self-instruction-in-handwriting.aspx

we no longer use one, so i checked "other". at the beginning of the year, my daughter used handwriting without tears cursive. it really only takes a few weeks to work through. we now use Dictation Plus for spelling & my daughter writes her sentences in cursive. she also uses BJU English, and that gives her a lot of handwriting practice too.

I don't actually have that age yet, but by then, we'll just do copywork via Startwrite software. Since we're switching to GDI for second grade, it will likely be GDI font that I use for copywork. I don't have any plans to buy handwriting workbooks at that point.

We used Spencerian Penmanship with mine. With DD (who is 9), it worked FABULOUSLY!! She has some of the most beautiful penmanship I've ever seen in a 9 year old. (VERY important to me, since my own handwriting is pretty much illegible. When DH was deployed, he asked me to type my letters to him. It's that bad.)

DS (who is 8) SP didn't work as well for, though. He begged me to let him learn cursive, so I did, and it was a fight ever since. We got through almost 4 books... and DH finally had enough and said I have to find something else. We're going back to A Reason For Handwriting, but I think I might research Classically Cursive as well.

self-educating, I am using multiple resources of D nelian (sp?) and it's generic form Modern Cursive.

I do a LOT of tracing and some copying from worksheets I make up in StartWrite and then I have downloaded and purchased a few workbooks that are okay but not excellent.

I like that this font is less slanted than some. HWT has 0 slant, and I thought I would like that, but the double o and the r are examples of why a little slant is good. I would use HWT for someone with a disability, but I prefer a small amount of slant otherwise.

The capitals are not printed, but are still fairly simple.

This font is softer than italic cursive. I like italic for boys, but not for myself. I wanted something softer. Also writing in a smooth font is more soothing than writing in a crisp font, and since I am a very tense person, I find practicing my soft font to be more relaxing than a crisper one.

• 4 months later...
My 4th grader learned cursive in first grade and hasn't used a handwriting program since.

:iagree: My #2 child will be going into 3rd, learned cursive in the summer between K & 1st, and hasn't used a (formal) handwriting program since. We use Cursive First.

I don't yet have a third grader, so I haven't voted. But I hope we'll be continuing with the Getty-Dubay Italics that we are doing now.

BTW sorry for a slight hijack; those using Classically Cursive, is this font different from Cursive First or D'nelian? It looks similar to me.

I bought Handwriting without Tears cursive since I had used their print program. My daughter took one look at it and said, "That's ugly! I don't want to write like that. I want it to be prettier." I ended up purchasing Pictures in Cursive and she loves it. Not one problem with getting her to write now. :) The only problem I have with it is that she is left-handed and when she writes her hand covers the word she needs to copy. We just make a copy of the page and place it next to her. HWOT does deal with this issue, which I would of liked, but she enjoys learning a "prettier" handwriting. So I chose other.