Menu

VENT...Is it just me or does anyone else cannot stand Kindles, Nooks, E-Readers??

I thought I hated them until I got one.

Then I realized I only hated the idea of them.

Clearing up some misconceptions.

They have bookmarks-I bookmark it and next time I open that book, it opens to the page I left off. You can highlight and know where other people highlighted. You can make the font large or small. You can make folders and store books in folders. I have a King Arthur folder, Robin Hood, Beatrix Potter, Jane Austen... and all of the books are in there. You can make notes.

Also, the font of the kindle makes it easy on the eyes. It is in NO WAY like reading a computer screen. And it's not backlit so it's easy on the eyes.

You're now not just reading your book, you're interacting with it. And this is the beginning. Pictures will come. Embedded video will come. Interview clips, linked footnotes, it's going to be amazing.

Edited by justamouse

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just be sure, Lightly Salted, that you research which do and don't work overseas. the Nook, for instance, makes it nearly impossible for those outside the US to actually purchase and load books. Stick with Kindle or the Sony eReader.

(probably you know this already, but just in case....)

good to know! I actually have 'research best ereader options' as one item on my long to-do list ... thanks for sharing! I was looking at the Nook, but will definitely reconsider based on what is best for life overseas! :D:bigear:

I am very dissapointed to hear that Borders is going out of business.

I don't know about the rest of you, but there is no way I could ever read a book from a Kindle, Nook, whatever they are called. I certainly hope this is not going to be a thing of the future, and REAL books a thing of the past.

I love browsing through bookstores. Getting books, and cracking them open The SMELL of books(okay, weird..but....:lol:)...........

Sitting in a comfy chair, reading a book or reading aloud to a child. Who does that with a Kindle?????

I am so sad that those things ever came around.

I really, really hope that bookstores and libraries will not be a thing of the past.

I completely agree with you. And another thing--I love to take my books in the bathtub!

Out of curiosity I just checked my Kindle against several average size hard cover books. Now, I have the K3, the newest version, so I don't know what size the older Kindles are. I do know the Kindle DX is large, but that's the point of the DX.

Anyway, the books are on average, 2 inches longer and wider than my Kindle. My kindle weighs a little over 8 ounces. The books weigh around 1-1/2 pounds (I used my digital postal scale that I use for selling used homeschool books). And just looking at it and estimating, the books are about 4-5 times as thick as the Kindle.

I stand corrected, but I don't think those differences are anything major. I don't see a hardback as cumbersome at all. That's just my opinion, though. The portability factor of a Kindle still doesn't outweigh the aethestic appeal of real books for me.

:agree:

It may be controversial to say so, and perhaps it's down to my own experiences, but I do feel that technology prompts one to be more selfish.

Do you mean in terms of sharing books? I agree with you there if that's what you're talking about. Both Kindle and Nook allow lending, but it's limited (one time, only for 2 weeks, and not all books can be loaned). However, these are the publisher rules and not Amazon or B&N.

I've always been one to think that books should be read, and are not meant to collect dust on a shelf. With ereaders, you can neither give away nor sell your books after you no longer want them. That, to me, is the only drawback of ereaders. I don't think it makes one selfish though. It makes the publishers look selfish, not the readers.

I love books, too. The sight of them on my shelf, the hunt for a rare classic or just something cool is comforting to me. However, I also have limited space for as many books as I would like to own. And truthfully....it's easier for me to read aloud from a Kindle while nursing the baby than it is with a real book. I can hold the Kindle *and* turn the pages with one hand...leaving my other to rock/cuddle the babe.

I've read a lot of newly published books on my Kindle since I received it because so many self-published authors offer them on Amazon...many times for free.

Oh! I also like being able to read books for free and if I love it, love it, love it then I can purchase it in hardcopy for my shelf. If I hate it, hate it, hate it I can simply hit the "delete" button and be done with it!

I think I've *maybe* spent $15 on ebooks on the Kindle ~ and the most expensive of those was a sequel to a book I purchased and I could. not. wait. to find out what happened next!

Elegantlion - e-ink is definitely the way to go, IMO. I really, really don't like reading things on the computer, but the Kindle is so nice. I was surprised actually by how much I like reading on it! Feels like a real book to me now.

My DD has a Literati and it's backlit and I don't care for it all. I wouldn't buy a nook color for that reason either.

I was totally against e-readers and didn't *get* them at all until I started getting tons of .pdfs for various homeschooling things and hated to print them all out but couldn't stand to read them on the computer.

I stand corrected, but I don't think those differences are anything major. I don't see a hardback as cumbersome at all. That's just my opinion, though. The portability factor of a Kindle still doesn't outweigh the aethestic appeal of real books for me.

Oh, I completely understand. I imagine I'd have been MUCH slower to fall in love with an eReader if we still lived in the US and had ready access to books.

I just wanted to put the info out there for others reading the thread, now or later, who might think of getting an eReader and decide "wow - as heavy as a hardback??? nevermind...."

I totally hear you on the aesthetic appeal of books, though. I'm quite glad to still have both. ;)

good to know! I actually have 'research best ereader options' as one item on my long to-do list ... thanks for sharing! I was looking at the Nook, but will definitely reconsider based on what is best for life overseas! :D:bigear:

glad I could help!

Most of my ex-pat friends (myself included) have Kindle; Amazon has truly the largest library out there *IF* you are keeping your US Amazon account (and I assume you will).

I also know folks with the sony ereader, though, and it works just as well here. So, for sure either of those work overseas; the Nook, unless they've very recently changed, does not (at least not for books purchased via B&N).

Good luck prepping for your move!

I also enjoy having every reading option available.

Yes! Yes! Oh, yes!!! I am obsessed with reading so much that if someday they were to start up a program for skywriting books, I'd giddily buy myself a chunk of stratosphere.

Audio books, Kindle, hardback, paperback, those glorious, ridiculous expensive paperbacks with rough-cut pages, antiques with the onionskin pages protecting the illustrations, falling-apart books of poetry that my grandmother read as a little girl... Who cares what format the book comes in--if it's a book, I love it and want to marry it.

I've just gotta READ!

I could have written your post last summer. But then my father bought a Kindle. I railed against him and gave him all the reasons I could never like one, marshalling many of your arguments. He handed it over to me with a grin and walked out of the room. I sat down with it and an hour later I was quite tantalized. Two months later, my husband took the hints and bought one for our anniversary. E-ink is far easier on the eyes than reading on a computer screen (which is why I wouldn't buy a color Nook or an iPad). I love having an entire library tucked in my purse when I'm stuck waiting anywhere, ready to serve me or the kids. Like another poster said, most of the books on my Kindle are free from the public domain. I think I could count on one hand the number of books I've paid to download. I still buy a great many "real" books, but the Kindle certainly has an important place in my personal library.

My husband has been trying to get me one of these since before the Kindle came out.

While I find the Kindle awkward, generally my problems with them are philosophical, not physical.

Kindles and other e-readers limit content transfer. Western society has evolved fair use laws. These are the laws which allow libraries to lend books and people to copy sections, create parodies and reimaginings, and sell their used copies. It allows for the movement and use of information. Because of the digital revolution, fair use laws are in limbo. Stringent software use rules and digital information limitations are creating a 2-tier world. There is a wealth of free amateur information (authoritative? true?) online. There is a wealth of professional information in ebooks and software--for a price.

Unfortunately we haven't evolved a means for this digital information to reach people who don't have the funds to buy brand new ebooks. There is no secondary market, the way paperbacks opened up the market. Because fair use laws have not reached the digital experience, it's also difficult for libraries to license the use of these items. They simply don't have enough money to pay for a wide range of ebooks and other digital items because these items generally depend on person-by-person use fees.

For these reasons I choose not to own a Kindle or other e-reader. I don't think our society has created a fair means to get information to everyone digitally. I don't like the idea of setting myself up as one of the 'haves.'

I'll stick with second-hand shops and rooms full of bookcases that I own and can send home with people. I'd rather see information be free.

I think I could count on one hand the number of books I've paid to download.

Downloading books. We sure have come a long way . But I am not so sure this advancement is a good thing or not.

I suppose that since these devices are out, there is no turning back. It was inevitable I suppose.

I think we are getting closer and closer to the Jetson Era.:confused: I wouldn't mind looking like Jane though:D

Let me preface this to say that I'm a lover of books...REAL books. However, I see good in eReaders as well. Not everyone has the space, the money, or even the ability to lug around (should someone travel a lot) as many books as I like to collect. I also do not believe that eReaders are the doom of bookstores. Online selling has been a larger issue, long before eReaders became popular.

While I agree with this for the most part, I feel that actually going to the bookstore is the greatest thrill.

It is like going to the library. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Also, I love going to used bookstores. You just never know what kind of gem you might find. You could find a book signed by the author, or a book with an inscription dated back to the early 1900's. You can't get that on an E-Reader.

Yes it is cheaper and easier to order from Amazon, which I have done myself. I just wouldn't like to see bookstores get replaced over technology.

:iagree:

I just worry that eventually they will be the doom of paper book production.

I love books. We go to the library weekly. We read constantly and love our books.

I also think ereaders are wonderful. I live in a very high cost of living area. The cost to have space to hold books is huge. We are going to have a minimum of books so that we can buy a house that fits all of our things. I literally think before buying anything "Do we have space to put that?". It is part of my life. An ereader eliminates that problem. We can have the huge library of books and still have space to read them in.

Downloading books. We sure have come a long way . But I am not so sure this advancement is a good thing or not.

I suppose that since these devices are out, there is no turning back. It was inevitable I suppose.

I think we are getting closer and closer to the Jetson Era. I wouldn't mind looking like Jane though

I am a desperate lover of books, but I also LOVE my Kindle. It's the greatest thing since indoor plumbing. :D To me, they are not mutually exclusive. There are some venues for which nothing but a physical book will do. And there are some venues in which an e-reader is astoundingly ideal. We still go to the library every few weeks and I still love skulking around in bookstores, drinking it in. Physical books will not disappear; not a chance.

Arguing against e-readers seems a little like saying, "What?! You can download music on a small device you wear clipped to your pocket? Who will ever go listen to an orchestra again?" Or, "If you can watch spectacular footage of Alaska on a NatGeo DVD, who would ever travel there again?" There is room for both. I'm glad to see it on DVD AND I would love to visit and see and feel it for myself in person.

Same with books.

Arguing against e-readers seems a little like saying, "What?! You can download music on a small device you wear clipped to your pocket? Who will ever go listen to an orchestra again?" Or, "If you can watch spectacular footage of Alaska on a NatGeo DVD, who would ever travel there again?" There is room for both. I'm glad to see it on DVD AND I would love to visit and see and feel it for myself in person.

Same with books.

very good analogies!

I hate the feel of old, scratchy paper such as that in older trade paperbacks. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me, so I pretty much won't read them at all. I've even bought or checked out books my husband already owns because I didn't want to read his scratchy, old, musty copy. Having so many classics available for my Kindle (many of which are out of print or difficult to find anyway) has actually improved the sensory aspect of reading old books for me.

Let me preface this to say that I'm a lover of books...REAL books. However, I see good in eReaders as well. Not everyone has the space, the money, or even the ability to lug around (should someone travel a lot) as many books as I like to collect. I also do not believe that eReaders are the doom of bookstores. Online selling has been a larger issue, long before eReaders became popular.

:iagree:

E-readers are not the doom of bookstores-PUBLISHERS are the doom of bookstores. Believe me, they are hanging themselves. THAT is the sad part. They are dinosaurs and are refusing to remodel their business practices.

Many authors don't want to sell to publishers anymore. They are paid too slow, too little, given too little support, not enough editing, the list goes on. There is nothing that a publisher can do for me that I can't now do for myself by acting as not only an author, but a general contractor. I can buy myself a gorgeous cover for 150. Get my book edited for 500, and then upload it to kindle and keep 70% of my sales. AND I get those sales immediately.

There are no reserves against returns, no advance sell outs, no small print-runs that make it impossible for you to get another contract, no mistakes in labeling or shelving which will cripple your sales and make selling your next book close to impossible.

You want real books to flourish? Then the publishers have to revamp their whole system. Until then, e-books are going to dominate and at this point I don't think we're ever going back.

Borders closing? Do you know all of those books that are not sold are going to have their covers torn off, returned to the wharehouses (Ingrams) and then those numbers are going to be counted against the authors? Some authors may never recover-never get another contract. Their print runs will become smaller, their $ even smaller. You make nothing as it is off of a paperback. Authors are not rich-only the HUGE ones are. Many authors I know keep their day jobs and they have 10-15 books out. Perhaps when you get to your 20th you can think about going full time.

So yeah, bring on the e-book revolution.

Edited by justamouse

I became an e-reader convert at Christmas this year, when I received two (count 'em) new books as gifts, and realized they were actually causing me anxiety because I had no place to put them when I finished reading them. I love books. And I already have plenty of them. 21 bookcases full, including one bookcase whose sole purpose is store books I don't have room for on my "regular" shelves. Almost all the books on my Nook are public domain or library books (my library doesn't have them, but I got a card from the Free Library of Philadelphia for $15). I'm reading more newly released books than I ever have; my local library isn't very big, and I don't have the time or energy to deal with putting holds on their very limited selection of popular new books and then remembering to go pick them up on time. No going anywhere and no fines with online library books, and the selection of new releases is great at FTP--more often than not if I hear about a book on NPR or it turns up on Amazon's best books of the month they'll have it. So I have anything in the public domain and most new releases covered for free with the Nook. I feel like I have so much more access to affordable reading material now that my choices aren't limited to what I already have, whatever I come across at the thrift store, plus the occasional splurge on a new book.

the thrill of having many books in a small space makes me giddy.

:iagree: LOVE my Kindle. I knew I'd like it, but I've been surprised at how much I absolutely love it. It's amazing to carry so many books around on a gadget that is about the size of a high-end paperback. I almost always have it with me in my purse so I can pull it out when I have a few minutes to spend.

I am a desperate lover of books, but I also LOVE my Kindle. It's the greatest thing since indoor plumbing. :D To me, they are not mutually exclusive. There are some venues for which nothing but a physical book will do. And there are some venues in which an e-reader is astoundingly ideal. We still go to the library every few weeks and I still love skulking around in bookstores, drinking it in. Physical books will not disappear; not a chance.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Same with books.

I agree. Great analogies. I have to say some of this discussion reminds of E.M. Forster's The Machine Stops. . . which I downloaded and read on my Kindle :leaving:

I am very dissapointed to hear that Borders is going out of business.

I don't know about the rest of you, but there is no way I could ever read a book from a Kindle, Nook, whatever they are called. I certainly hope this is not going to be a thing of the future, and REAL books a thing of the past.

I love browsing through bookstores. Getting books, and cracking them open The SMELL of books(okay, weird..but....:lol:)...........

Sitting in a comfy chair, reading a book or reading aloud to a child. Who does that with a Kindle?????

I am so sad that those things ever came around.

I really, really hope that bookstores and libraries will not be a thing of the past.

Haven't read the thread. Can't stand e-readers. :tongue_smilie:

Me!

Well, not with a Kindle, but if I had a Kindle, I'm sure I would.

I read classic ebooks from Project Gutenberg on my cell phone to the kids for bedtime stories when we haven't been able to get to the library. I do find it a bit harder to read aloud from my phone, since the screen is small.

DD1 begs me to do "reading together on the little computer" (Progressive Phonics on an OLPC in tablet mode).

I like paper books. I like ebooks. I lugged a suitcase full of paperbacks all over Europe when I was 19, and was sold on ebooks as soon as then-future-DH showed me how to do Gutenberg texts on a Palm Pilot a few years later as a result of that experience :). Doesn't mean I don't like "real" books, but I'm not tied to them as the one and only "True Book Experience" either.

Edited by ocelotmom

I really do like my Kindle. I find it easy to hold and read. At this time I am clearing out classics that I have that have no pictures that I can put on my Kindle. I love books, but we are drowning in them . . . they have taken over our house. I like the idea of having a portable library. I know I will always have books but I am hoping ebook readers may help me tame my addiction a little.

I don't know about the rest of you, but there is no way I could ever read a book from a Kindle, Nook, whatever they are called.

I thought exactly this, until I reluctantly tried it. I wasn't particularly interested, but it seemed silly not to at least try, since I had a device (an iPad) that could be used to read ebooks.

Now I'm hooked. I'm not big on things, but my Sony Reader is easily my favorite thing. :D

I have slight macular degeneration. We co-sleep and it's getting harder and harder to read using a reading light as time progresses. I sometimes sleep in our guest room if I have a lot of reading I want/need to do.

I'm thinking of confiscating my DH's ipad when the new one comes out this summer because simply adding the optional light to the kindle isn't going to be helpful enough. Unless anyone else out there has a better suggestion. :)

Dh and I are both big readers and dd is starting to become the same.

I only recently received an ereader but we have been using our phones and computers for reading for awhile. Bookshelf space is at a premium. We are hoping the ereader will help us temper our book purchasing a bit.

We do go to the library, a lot, but sometimes there are things you want to reread so going to the library doesn't completely halt our purchasing. Even with an ereader I am sure we will still purchase books..it will just help us temper it a bit. I love to read in the bathtub and there is no way I am bringing my ereader into the tub. I am super clumsy.

Dh just bought me a nook but we have mostly been using it for the crossword. We didn't realize we were such crossword addicts before. :lol:

Edited by Sis

I do like a "real" book and would be sad to see that sector of the publishing industry collapse.

At the same time, I don't feel that sad about Borders going out of business. Borders isn't a "book store" to me. It's a big box store that is like the Wal-Mart of books. The people who work there never seemed to actually know anything about books or their inventory. The whole place seemed like a book shelf lined Best Buy to me with five dollar a cup coffee.

Our market in this town was over saturated with "book stores." A year ago we had 2 Barnes and Nobles, two Borders, one "Books A Million,"a Joseph-Beths, and probably a number of other book stores within five miles of me. Ridiculous. I actually like these stores - like that they have so much stock and you can browse to your heart's content. But ultimately, they are about money, not about books, and they made poor business decisions. As long as ONE of them stays open, I am happy. They are one of the things about modern life that I really love. But we didn't need that many book stores and I need a balance of real books I can mark up and devour and those I can carry around on my one pound Nook. I carry about 75 books on it and can take it anywhere I go.

My husband bought me a Kindle for Christmas and keeps asking me why I'm not reading it. It's not really that bad - it's not like reading from a computer screen.

I think it's fine if you are just reading a book for fun, beginning to end, without stopping to reread, take notes, or underline anything. But I am not really reading that kind of stuff lately (I've been dogearing a copy of WTM and reading my Bible) so I haven't been using my Kindle.

I

QUOTE]

:D Lots and lots and lots of folks! I don't have one yet, but I am planning one; dd & I will absolutely do this. We will be able to pick a book the same way we choose some Netflix films; at the last minute. :) Several families in our hs group have & love them, plus I saw a mom and tot at the dentist the other day reading together-- not sure the type, but the mom was reading aloud.

I also love libraries! ;)

I think the problem is people shopping online at places like Amazon, not e-readers. It's one of the reasons I don't shop Amazon anymore.

A book sale is a book sale is a book sale. Getting on a best seller list on Amazon is a much coveted spot. It means sales.

If anything, Amazon caters to the long tail.

I read to my kids from my Kindle All. The. Time. Most of the books I have for AO are on there, and we sit at the table/couch and read/narrate-all with the kindle. I can take school-many classes of it-anywhere with me.

While I might like the convenience of a Nook for a very specific use, I don't want to *buy* all of my books. I know that there are freebies, but I want to read...what I want! I'd rather use the library and then purchase the best real books to have on my shelf. I, personally, think that it's silly to buy all of those books just for the convenience, especially for a first-time read. For classics and free stuff? Maybe. But that's only scratching the surface of my reading tastes.

I don't have one, but am considering getting one. When we go to the library, we are always in the kids section and never make it to the adult section. Same with the bookstore. Our library has an amazing children's section, but the adult section is lacking. The end result is that I never have anything to read. For that reason, I am considering getting a Nook.

My one concern is that one of my twins would want to use it, and I prefer that the kids read the real thing. :tongue_smilie:

My husband bought me a Kindle for Christmas and keeps asking me why I'm not reading it. It's not really that bad - it's not like reading from a computer screen.

I think it's fine if you are just reading a book for fun, beginning to end, without stopping to reread, take notes, or underline anything. But I am not really reading that kind of stuff lately (I've been dogearing a copy of WTM and reading my Bible) so I haven't been using my Kindle.

But you CAN take notes and underline in your Kindle! I highlighted a lot in One Thousand Gifts on my Kindle and like that I can reread them so easily because they're all in one place. I also posted several quotes directly to my Facebook while reading.

A book sale is a book sale is a book sale. Getting on a best seller list on Amazon is a much coveted spot. It means sales.

If anything, Amazon caters to the long tail.

I read to my kids from my Kindle All. The. Time. Most of the books I have for AO are on there, and we sit at the table/couch and read/narrate-all with the kindle. I can take school-many classes of it-anywhere with me.

Do you use Kindle for any Google books? If you do which format? Have you used PDF format and does it have the dictionary component as well?

Edited by priscilla