Menu

Please help me name my new kitty!

We just picked up my new kitty! She's a 7 mth old blue-point Ragdoll with rabbit-soft fur and she's very regal looking with her cream coat, thick tail and dazzling blue eyes! I'm looking for a regal name, perhaps an ancient princess' name, and dh prefers a non-human name, or at least a very rare human name. :tongue_smilie: I've been bashing my head against the wall with a "soft" sounding name, something like Chanel or... or... arg! Please help me!

For some reason I can't upload my pics, so here is a link to a cat that looks identical: the second cat down, called Destiny.

Names we've bashed around: Chantilly, Lacey, Chanel, Ophelia, Minuet, Saigon (Miss Saigon, Sigh for short?), Sapphire, Zippora, Freesia... please add to this list because I don't think any of these are "it"... thank you! Kitty needs a name!

UPDATE on post #40

Edited by specialmama
update

I am not fond of "people" names for pets.

(I guess that happens when my name is in the top most popular dog names. When I go to the park and hear my name called in a certain way I feel like I should pop a tennis ball in my mouth and go running towards the person calling me! Annnnnnnyyyyyywaaaayyy...)

Cupcake

Muffin

Honey

Mittens

I am not fond of "people" names for pets.

(I guess that happens when my name is in the top most popular dog names. When I go to the park and hear my name called in a certain way I feel like I should pop a tennis ball in my mouth and go running towards the person calling me! Annnnnnnyyyyyywaaaayyy...)

I have a funny story about people names for pets. We lived next to a young couple with 2 dogs--Jacob/Jake and Jessica/Jessie (the dogs' names). The couple also had J names. They had a son--named him J-name after the dad. Then they had a daughter--another J-name. Years later, after we'd moved a couple times and they'd moved, we ran into mutual friends who still kept in contact with our former J neighbors. Turns out they'd had another daughter. Named her Jessica. :001_huh:

"After the dog?" I asked. Actually they'd had to give away that dog several years before so no one knew they'd once had a dog named Jessica.

Can you imagine being named after the dog? Like Indiana Jones, I guess. :lol:

ETA: I didn't give any cat name ideas. Ours is an orange tabby named Squirrel. Doesn't quite fit your kitty, though. Ok, I actually don't have any good ideas. Sorry!

Edited by Cinder

You have some great names to choose from. We just got 3 ragdoll kittens. (Yes, crazy, but we needed one for each of us.) We have a blue lynx like yours, a blue point and a seal/flame point. They are wonderful pets! You wouldn't like my names though; they are Molly, Maxwell and Mitzi.

I have a funny story about people names for pets. We lived next to a young couple with 2 dogs--Jacob/Jake and Jessica/Jessie (the dogs' names). The couple also had J names. They had a son--named him J-name after the dad. Then they had a daughter--another J-name. Years later, after we'd moved a couple times and they'd moved, we ran into mutual friends who still kept in contact with our former J neighbors. Turns out they'd had another daughter. Named her Jessica. :001_huh:

"After the dog?" I asked. Actually they'd had to give away that dog several years before so no one knew they'd once had a dog named Jessica.

Can you imagine being named after the dog? Like Indiana Jones, I guess. :lol:

Heh. Let us hope nobody tells (Human) Jessica.

A family I knew as a kid had a baby and named her Candy. A few weeks after the baby was born, they adopted a dog, also named Candy. They decided to rename the baby, who became Cindy, reasoning that the dog already knew her name and the child did not.

Can you imagine being named after the dog?

I know someone else who did this, too. They had a few dogs, and one was named Hunter. Later, they had a daughter...whom they named Hunter. Everyone who knew about the dog Hunter was...:confused: "Wasn't that their dog's name?" :lol:

You have some great names to choose from. We just got 3 ragdoll kittens. (Yes, crazy, but we needed one for each of us.) We have a blue lynx like yours, a blue point and a seal/flame point. They are wonderful pets! You wouldn't like my names though; they are Molly, Maxwell and Mitzi.

:ack2: I guess it's a popular cat name now, too. :lol:

I know someone else who did this, too. They had a few dogs, and one was named Hunter. Later, they had a daughter...whom they named Hunter. Everyone who knew about the dog Hunter was...:confused: "Wasn't that their dog's name?" :lol:

I don't like that name for a DOG or a GIRL.

:confused:

Do you want your dog to be a hunter? Or your DD?

For those prices, I'd name it Silver :)

:lol: No kidding! FWIW, we lucked out and got this girl at the Humane Society. She's 7mths old, and owner surrendered. The reason they gave: they didn't realize that cats shed. :confused::001_huh::lol: Their loss, my gain! hee hee!

Well thank you everyone, there were some AWESOME names here, and I seriously could not decide. That is so frustrating for me because I love naming pets/people and have never hit such a road block as this. As much as I loved many names, none of them felt right, if that makes any sense. Anyhoo, I had a dream about a name in the middle of the night, bolted up and shouted "THAT'S IT!" and so it is. Her name is... Persia. :D I toyed with the spelling a bit, Purrja, Purrsia, Purr-Ja, but ultimately wanted it more regal and ancient and feminine sounding, so Persia it is. :D Thanks for playing along everyone! You all had amazing ideas!

Anyhoo, I had a dream about a name in the middle of the night, bolted up and shouted "THAT'S IT!" and so it is. Her name is... Persia. :D I toyed with the spelling a bit, Purrja, Purrsia, Purr-Ja, but ultimately wanted it more regal and ancient and feminine sounding, so Persia it is. :D Thanks for playing along everyone! You all had amazing ideas!

Nice! It bet it fits her well. I had a similar experience naming our kitten (now 6yo). We were driving home with her, throwing out names. From the driver's seat I glanced into the rear view mirror at my daughter holding her on her lap, and the next thing I know "Mira" came from nowhere and out my mouth. Later I realized it must have been because I'd been looking in the mirror!! (Say it like a southerner! Meer-uh. LOL). Enjoy your kitty! I've definitely learned over these past 5-6 years (esp. the last two) that I'm a cat person and not a dog person. Our cat was feisty for several years -- we couldn't really hold her. Then we moved to the sorta country last year, let her become an indoor/outdoor cat, and now she lays on my lap purring contentedly for an hour or more every night. Apparently having the freedom to chase mice, birds and bunnies was what she needed.

Edited by milovaný

I don't like that name for a DOG or a GIRL.

Do you want your dog to be a hunter? Or your DD?

:iagree: The outspoken grandmother reportedly said, "UGH! Hunter? That's a horrible name for a little girl!" :tongue_smilie:

And Persia is awesome! What a great name!

I do this thing with DH when we hear "occupation" names.

"Why not call the kid Butcher or Plumber? Cop? Proctologist?"

I'm reminded of a Frasier episode in which a character is suggesting baby names such as Tanner, Cooper, and Fletcher; her husband says something like, "Where are you getting these names? The Big Book of Medieval Professions?"

I'm reminded of a Frasier episode in which a character is suggesting baby names such as Tanner, Cooper, and Fletcher; her husband says something like, "Where are you getting these names? The Big Book of Medieval Professions?"

ROTFLMyeslf silly! This just made my morning.

I never saw that episode but that is exactly what I mean!

"Bailey" kills me, too.