Menu

What are your hobbies?

Do any of you have any hobbies that you regularly pursue either individually or as a family? It could be anything, even couponing, training for a marathon, scrapbooking, etc. I would just like to see what you do outside of hs'g. Also, when do you have time?

I have 7 kids (5 still hs'g), 1 grandchild, so with hs planning/teaching, responsibilities and regular household chores, cooking, shopping, doc appts, etc, I just don't seem to have the energy. I do love to read as it is so relaxing. Does that count?

We were going geocaching but this winter has been too cold and long for us to enjoy our hiking with the kids looking for treasure :tongue_smilie:

Lisa in DE

Crocheting, sometimes sewing or making hair things (with cloth, wood, flowers, beads - I'm not picky!). Exercise isn't really a hobby, but it feels like one because I usually enjoy it. Lots of reading and writing (but some of that is work and not a hobby).

My husband's into woodworking and knot-tying, board games of many sorts, karate (sometimes this is work) and a gazillion other things (I can't remember them all).

Our kids have started tagging along on these things, helping their dad woodwork, or learning crafty stuff from me. I'd say we're a family who enjoys making things.

I am a foodie- I love to learn about diet, health, nutrition, and eating well. That is definitely a hobby.

My spiritual path that incorporates the study of many traditions from shamanism to buddhism...is another lifelong interest. Not sure I would trivialise it by saying it s a hobby, but it is somethingI spend a lot of time on.

My garden and my chooks could be called hobbies.

I knit sometimes.

But when I was homeschooling, homeschooling was my all consuming passion.

My regular hobbies are: reading, writing (sometimes poetry, sometimes narrative articles or essays such as for homeschooling magazines, and always writing in my blog) and games- sometimes computer games, sometimes board games.

Of course, I can't ever think of the word "hobbies" anymore without thinking of that youtube cartoon that went around a little while back, the one about "mom friends," where one mom said to the other something like: "My children are my hobby. I strive for perfection."

That might be sort of true, too. lol.

sailing, reading, piano, sewing, learning history (yes - for fun....), starting to get into surfing- trying to anyway (bad knee), used to snow ski (bad knee - hoping to do so again), used to kneeboard (same as the other), camping, being an oenophile, planning vacations for myself and others who ask.

I read, read, read, read! Less of a hobby, more of a necessity.

I take fiddle lessons. I really love it but I am a beginner and don't compete or perform or anything. I love to just play for my family. I started in September.

I embroider but I'd like to sew. I'm converting the school room to a sewing room and am desperate to add more sewing. The problem is that I don't know how to sew. We'll see how it goes. The sewing doesn't really count for the answer, though, since I haven't started. Embroidery, though: love it.

In the spring and summer, I do a little gardening. In fall and winter, I enjoy Christmas crafts and experimenting with crockpot cooking. I also enjoy singing in our local community choral music guild, quilting, studying the Bible and church history, and also collecting Christmas cookie cookbooks/pamphlets and award-winning/classic children's books. (I also tend to collect curriculum, particularly history programs. :lol:)

Edited by ereks mom

I am a foodie- I love to learn about diet, health, nutrition, and eating well. That is definitely a hobby.

My spiritual path that incorporates the study of many traditions from shamanism to buddhism...is another lifelong interest. Not sure I would trivialise it by saying it s a hobby, but it is somethingI spend a lot of time on.

My garden and my chooks could be called hobbies.

I knit sometimes.

But when I was homeschooling, homeschooling was my all consuming passion.

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what the heck a chook could be. I looked it up. We enjoy our chooks, too, especially my youngest. She can spend hours watching them, petting them, talking to them. And the fresh eggs are wonderful.

Guest Dulcimeramy

I play the mountain dulcimer and am in leadership for a local not-for-profit folk music organization.

I used to knit, crochet, quilt and embroider, but I just don't have time for those hobbies right now! I miss them. When the boys are grown, I would love to return to fiber arts. I want to learn spinning and weaving.

I used to knit, crochet, quilt and embroider, but I just don't have time for those hobbies right now! I miss them. When the boys are grown, I would love to return to fiber arts. I want to learn spinning and weaving.

This is me too. I took a spinning and weaving class when my oldest was 2 but quit when I got pg with my middle ds. I loved it but it's hard to find the time right now. I also love embroidery and knitting and I do those occassionally in the evenings while watching tv.

My biggest passion though is genealogy. As a family we really enjoy volkswalking.

Organic gardening, heirloom organic chickens, food preservation, reading, kayaking, taking really long walks, knitting really badly lol, drumming really badly with friends, going to interesting food shops and farmer's markets in various cities (love Asian markets), watching funny movies, cooking, reading to my kids, playing Scrabble & Bananagrams (is that a hobby? lol), riding my bike when it is not cold, soaking up the sun on pretty beaches (I like walking more than sitting).

I do have hobbies but I rarely have time to pursue them. Once in a while I find time to do something creative -- usually sewing for the house or knitting (which I find tedious, so I only do quick knits). I do love to play the flute and one day I hope to have time to participate in a community orchestra.

I love outdoor activities during warmer months.