Menu

Just for fun... (s/o on grocery shopping)

I shop the center for some things. We do use hamburger helper (with organic beef), Velveeta mac-n-cheese (no high fructose corn syrup in it), I let the kids choose a weekly dessert of whatever they want which is most certainly from the center aisles LOL, DH loves his Diet Cokes....so while I do try to purchase all meats, dairy, veggies, and fruits organically, I still shop from the center aisles as well.

I have to tell you a funny story.

My friend was lamenting not losing weight, so her son in law said, "OH, my mom lost a lot of weight by only buying on the outside edge of the grocery store!"

He failed to mention the word "isle" and my friend thought for a long time that his mother just didn't eat since there is NO FOOD on the OUTSIDE of the grocery store!

:lol:

Most of our stuff comes from the perimeter. I buy lots of fresh veggies and some fresh fruits. Mostly, especially this time of year when we've run out of home canned and fresh isn't so fresh, we buy frozen. That's from the center.

I also buy a lot in bulk and that's from the perimeter but I LOVE King Arthur Flour and that's from the middle. I buy my ww from bulk but then get ap from the baking aisle along with yeast and vanilla and olive and other oils, et c.

My family likes pasta. I do make my own sauce but we eat boughten pasta (but I fully expect to receive a pasta attachment for my KA from myself for my birthday) and that comes from the middle.

I really do mostly shop from the perimeter but I don't see how anyone could shop exclusively from the perimeter.

Last night's meal as an example . . . I went to the store to get some fresh spinach. I noticed bunches of fresh basil on sale for a great price so I got some to make pesto. We had a salad of

spinach

grape tomatoes

bell pepper

green onions (on the side)

pasta

tossed with pesto which was

walnuts

basil

garlic

olive oil

salt

parm

out of all that, the oil, salt and pasta came from the center of the store.

Oh, we had crackers, too, which I do not make myself, and they came from the center, too.

I can see shopping mostly from the perimeter but exclusively? I like salt and olive oil and stuff like that. And, while the bulk section is around the perimeter, so what? A lot of that stuff is also in the baking aisle: flour, sugar, nuts, beans, lentils, et c.

And need I mention that my Ghirardelli 72% Chocolate comes from the center of the store? I think not. That's reason enough to camp in the center aisles, inho.

Yeah I don't see how a person could ONLY shop from the 'perimeter'. At my grocery store, that's basically meat and fruits/veggies. A bit of the dairy, but not all.

Dh and the kids had a healthy supper last night - homemade meatloaf and baked potatoes. :D

meatloaf:

hamburger (perimeter)

veggie crackers crushed (aisles)

ketchup (aisles)

onion soup mix (aisles)

ketchup/mustard/vinegar sauce topping (aisles)

baked potatoes - perimeter

butter on baked potatoes - cold aisle

To drink, ds12 had orange juice (aisles), dd14 had water (brita), and dh had a beer. (different store entirely - but his brand IS on the perimeter there LOL)

(I'm not in this because a- I'm a vegetarian, and b - I'd already eaten something earlier.)

It's healthy food, but it's still a mix of perimeter and aisle.

dh had a beer. (different store entirely - but his brand IS on the perimeter there LOL)

(I'm not in this because a- I'm a vegetarian, and b - I'd already eaten something earlier.)

It's healthy food, but it's still a mix of perimeter and aisle.

I like it when the men take their own good health in hand. Congratulate your husband on his healthy choices for me!

I'm a veg too and as a default, I guess, most of my food comes form the perimiter. But we do eat a few meat analogues and those are all aisle foods.

I used to. But dd's food allergies have made it practically impossible to make ANYTHING from the center isles. I do buy a few things though...

Rice Crispies/Rice Chex/Cocoa or Fruity Pebbles

Ketchup (but only certain kinds)

Ranch dressing for dh

Crackers for dh

The junky peanut butter for dh (see a theme here?)

Me! I don't understand the outside edge thing. So if I want to make spaghetti, the meat is on the outside edge, but the sauce and noodles are in the center. The french bread and parmesan cheese and butter is on the outside edge. The outside edge stuff is supposed to be the healthy stuff? I don't know, it never made a lot of sense to me.

Yeah I don't see how a person could ONLY shop from the 'perimeter'. At my grocery store, that's basically meat and fruits/veggies. A bit of the dairy, but not all.

Yep. That's pretty much all I buy.

How do you make anything? All the baking/cooking supplies and ingredients are in the aisles, all the condiments, dressings for salad, sandwich stuff, toast toppings, crackers, all the soups, most of the breakfast foods, etc ?

Me! I don't understand the outside edge thing. So if I want to make spaghetti, the meat is on the outside edge, but the sauce and noodles are in the center. The french bread and parmesan cheese and butter is on the outside edge. The outside edge stuff is supposed to be the healthy stuff? I don't know, it never made a lot of sense to me.

Exactly! I make homemade spaghetti all the time - pasta (sometimes even whole wheat if I can get dh and the kids to eat it), sauce - to which I add chopped onion & green pepper - and hamburger. Healthy, yummy, and yet not all from the perimeter.

I guess I could go use spaghetti SQUASH instead... :p

Ooops, I forgot the few canned and frozen veggies we get, and rice. Our pasta is GF, so it IS on the outer isles at some of our stores...lol. Plus, I don't buy it often.

How do you make anything? All the baking/cooking supplies and ingredients are in the aisles, all the condiments, dressings for salad, sandwich stuff, toast toppings, crackers, all the soups, most of the breakfast foods, etc ?

We don't eat condiments. I don't bake because I have kids with egg and dairy allergies. We are gluten free. My kids eat dinner food for breakfast. Today they will eat a small piece of fish and broccoli rabe for breakfast. I can't stand dressings on my salad.

Raise your hand if you shop the CENTER aisles of the grocery store. I'll admit it. GASP! I feed my family Betty Crocker Potatoes and Nabisco cookies. AND I'm drinking my Coke Zero at 8:45 in the morning.:D

Kristen,

We really need to work on you! Betty Crocker Potatoes? lol

I shop most aisles of the store but I'm not serving Betty Crocker potatoes or Hamburger Helper (not picking on anyone, I just recall those two things being mentioned previously).

Baking supplies, dry pasta, pasta sauce, rolled oats, grits, Life cereal for dh, crackers, granola bars, rice, dry beans, peanut butter, honey...I can think of many items I purchase which do not come from the perimeter of the store.

Well, frozen pizza (and all that jazz - chx nuggets, Hungry Man, french fries, etc) is on the perimeter of my store, so that shoots the whole theory in the rear, lol.

I have to hit the center aisles for flours and sugars, oatmeal, olive oil, spices, canned tuna, ketchup, mayo (I won't make my own), the occasional bottle of juice, and I have no trouble admitting to boxed pasta and jarred sauce. I prefer homemade pasta, but I don't have a roller or the kind of time to do it regularly by hand.

Oh, and we're big on Cheerios when they're $1.50 or less!

I have to go to the center. Isn't that where the Pringles are? (Of course my craving comes when I am pissed I am pumping my own gas, and then have to pay Grand Theft Dough for 'convience' Pringles. :D)

Also, oils, tuna, pasta, bread, mineral water, chocolate chips for cookies, rice, lentils, oatmeal etc etc etc.

When I run out of my own saved and stored veggies, I also buy frozen ones. Isn't that also the center? Oh, Newman's Pizza and Amy's Shells? Center. :D

I shop all the aisles. I do what I can, where I can to offer healthy food to my family, but honestly, I work nights 28 hours per week in addition to homeschooling both kids. I cannot do it all. So, there are some processed foods in our diets. I have healthy kids so I can't stress about it.

Best response yet. You said exactly what I was thinking- and I raise my morning Pepsi Max to you!

I do...cereal is in the center...I ususally get multi grain cheerios or something not all loaded in sugar.

I also get a lot of canned fruits/veggies/chili/Rotel/tom sauce/soup etc. We eat pasta and mac and cheese.

I coupon and if I can get some boxed or frozen foods for free or really cheap I get it. My finances are on the edge of disaster, I have 2 hungry college sisters (plus friends) that come to visist often, and since I HS, coupon, do all the finances and cooking cleaning, taking care of the kids and animals....well basically I do EVERYTHING there are nights that I need a quick boxed meal or can of chili or soup. My kids are healthy and fine. They get good vitamins and green smoothies and I dont feel bad about any of it :D

We don't eat condiments. I don't bake because I have kids with egg and dairy allergies. We are gluten free. My kids eat dinner food for breakfast. Today they will eat a small piece of fish and broccoli rabe for breakfast. I can't stand dressings on my salad.

Ahhh. Okay, I can see that you have some stuff going on in your home that doesn't go on in all - it makes more sense now. That must make for some challenging cooking!

I'm actually quite the fan of 'dinner for breakfast' myself - the rest of my family likes their toast, cereal, poptarts, waffles, etc...but I love getting up, having my coffee, and then making a veggie burger. :D

I don't see how to avoid the inner aisles unless you are on a very restricted diet. Some people may be due to allergies, etc. but it's not something I would do voluntarily. Pasta, rice, eggs, juice, water, cereal, frozen foods, canned foods, organic dairy, spices, vinegar, olive oil, tea, coffee are all inner aisles at my store. Peanut butter and bread - which ds would gladly live on with the occasional banana or apple - are all in the outer edges. So is ice cream at our local store. Hmmm, maybe we could do this. ;)

We do a mix of made from scratch and semi-prepared (canned tomatoes, frozen veggies, quick cook rice). DH cooks dinner after he gets home from work and probably 1/2 the time it's from the outer edges (fresh fish, fresh veggie, baked pototo) not counting spices.

I shop most aisles of the store but I'm not serving Betty Crocker potatoes or Hamburger Helper (not picking on anyone, I just recall those two things being mentioned previously).

Baking supplies, dry pasta, pasta sauce, rolled oats, grits, Life cereal for dh, crackers, granola bars, rice, dry beans, peanut butter, honey...I can think of many items I purchase which do not come from the perimeter of the store.

As much as I wish I could I have to shop the aisles for the things you mentioned. Even if I were to make my own pasta from scratch I'd have to get flour. There are entire aisles that I skip - like baby products.

As a mostly-outside-edger I (often) make spaghetti with meat, tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, garlic, carrots, summer squash of some type spices, olive oil and pasta.

I can't say I've never bought canned/jarred sauce, but it is something that comes into the house once every few years. A year ago I was not making my own tomato sauce. All the other ingredients and Hunts tomato sauce.

Last night's dinner was totally outside edge - chicken, potatoes, fresh rosemary, a lemon, green beans (from the garden), tomatoes, mushrooms, onion