Menu

Hidden costs of homeschooling

There is a time when we all started and were starry eyed at all the curriculum choices that we had. Some of us may have had the "money is no object" view, while others pinched their pennies. But, no matter how carefully you may plan, something that you didn't think of comes up.

Library fines! lol

Printing paper. This was expected, but I never thought I would go through 5 reams of paper in just a few months!

Ink! I just recently estimated that I would use 6 xl cartridges of ink a year. At $40 a pop (without sales) that is $240!!!

Gas for any extracurricular activities.

Money spent on new curriculum when the first (or second, and third) just didn't work out.

Anything else?

Field trips! I am a glutton for field trips! At the moment, I am pondering an overnight trip to Philly for the opening weekend of the Silk Road exhibit. We don't have to go, but it sure is a good excuse for a family outing.

Ink - we switched to a continuous ink system and the savings has been spectacular.

Paper, card stock, art supplies - we go through more than ever before.

Time - I admit that I enjoy planning, but there are times I'd like just a tiny bit of that time just to do something, anything, else. Have to figure that one out.

There is a time when we all started and were starry eyed at all the curriculum choices that we had. Some of us may have had the "money is no object" view, while others pinched their pennies. But, no matter how carefully you may plan, something that you didn't think of comes up.

Library fines! lol

Printing paper. This was expected, but I never thought I would go through 5 reams of paper in just a few months!

Ink! I just recently estimated that I would use 6 xl cartridges of ink a year. At $40 a pop (without sales) that is $240!!!

Money spent on new curriculum when the first (or second, and third) just didn't work out.

Anything else?

Switching curriculum twice in one year :glare:

Ink and paper are good ones

Pencils! We go through pencils like Kleenex here!

Staples had a sale over the summer, with a rebate, and I asked my MIL to buy 2 reams of printer paper for me, so I could get 4 reams total at the great price. She was so puzzled why I would want 4 reams of paper, and kept questioning why I would want so much paper in the house when I could just go to the store and buy it when I needed it. :banghead: I told dh this was precisely why I never ask her to help.

So dh texted her, "Just get the paper!"

The next week she came over with the paper.

:D

Library fines! lol

Anything else?

So true, my home library has taken to reminding me everytime I take out more books to call and renew things, because my fines get so high some months. I also go through so much paper and ink it is insane. DUe to our current love of lapbooking, I go through my ink cartridges every 2 weeks, so I do between $40-80 of ink a month depending if I need a new color one or just black(and there is no ink refill places close to my tiny town).

I also spend a ton of money on extras, not associated with a particular curriculum. So the cool science kit I found, or craft supplies, or board games etc.

Plus of course there is the cost of conference, hotel, gas etc. I didn't go last year because we were moving and I really noticed a difference in my excitement/energy level. I truly NEED to go to conference each year to recharge and get focused again on my reasons for hsing. This is not a cost I ever thought would be REQUIRED of me. Kwim.

Fieldtrips is a big one. It was different when we lived in the city, everything was close by AND due to being low income we got into most things for free. Now I live 2 hours away from the city and do not get free access, so field trips are a new expense I did not think about. THe same goes for the membership fees to the indoor playground and toy lending library, something I would not of thought of joining if I was not home all day teaching the kids.

The new expense I need to bite the bullet for is internet. In the city it was fairly cheap so I never thought about it much as an extra expense of homeschooling. Living in a tiny town it is WAY pricier. We have not had it at all since moving, which has it's upside, but I am finding it more difficult to hs my older 2 without it, so I need to come up with the $$ to get it. The monthly fees are more than double what they were in the city so that is an unexpected expense. (and the reason why I am now taking on a 2nd job doing newspapers again).

I often think of just the wear and tear on the house having 5 people here all day instead of just a couple hours waking in the morning and evening. Things

like toilet paper and electricity just because we are always here.

:iagree:

Extra carpet cleaning, more cleaning supplies, definitely more water consumption...

Keeping the air on in the summer because we are here all day. And art supplies. Who knew paint and brushes (and canvases and clay and a dinky kid version of a potter's wheel and clay tools and so on) could cost so much? Not to mention the cost of art lessons and paying someone to fire ds's home creations. I love that he has this interest, but geez!

For me it's art supplies.

Luckily when I was contemplating homeschooling dh suggested we buy a color laser printer (I now have 2 of them, the first one he got me has some issue from being so old, but we kept it for the kids printing needs) That was such a great investment. The printer cost us $250 when we bought it, and the toner is about $110 for each color (times 4 colors) but those cartridges last me easily 1.5-2 years each. Each cartridge will print about 7 reams worth of paper before needing to be replaced.

My paper also costs me but I'm a paper snob and won't use less than 28lb paper with a 98 brightness rating. :lol:

Staples had a sale over the summer, with a rebate, and I asked my MIL to buy 2 reams of printer paper for me, so I could get 4 reams total at the great price. She was so puzzled why I would want 4 reams of paper, and kept questioning why I would want so much paper in the house when I could just go to the store and buy it when I needed it. :banghead: I told dh this was precisely why I never ask her to help.

I got in on the same deal last summer. I only got 2 cases though. Love how cheap it was! :D

Case after case of Mike's Hard Lemonade . . .

Which definitely helps preserve Mom's sanity. ;)

For me, the hidden costs haven't mattered much. A long time ago, in a job far away :D...

My manager taught me to budget very carefully, then once I had accounted for every possible thing, to add 25% to the budget to get a final total. That rule of thumb has helped me tremendously over the years.

I keep a spreadsheet with my expenditures to detail what the 25% is, to see if I can do better next time around. :)

Between Staples, Office Depot and Office Max we really scored with all the paper (almost free with the rebates). I think I have over 40 reams :D.

Extracurriculars. DD was MUCH less interested in "I can take another dance class, mom!" when she was exhausted after a day in school. Even when it's something "free" or inexpensive, it still adds up-driving, food that can be eaten on the go or meals out, bringing snacks for the end of the season party...

Amazon has all my money!! :lol: Seriously, just knowing I can have something in my hands in 2 days (or less!!)....click!! Just bought another book!! :lol:

I have definitely spent more on ink, and I am researching laser printers now. Which I can then add to the cost of homeschooling...;)