Menu

Do you go with the style or have your own?

What I mean is clothing? I tend to take awhile to like the latest styles. They usually have to grow on me. By the time I decide I like it I am behind the times.

I have a sister in law who I thinks just buys outfits for each season in style. I declare she doesn't keep them to the next season but buys new clothing again to keep in style.

I guess I can't see how you can keep in style but to only buy a little and than get rid of it.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't mind looking stylish, but not buying clothes all the time. How do you handle this one?

I now get my hair done every 6-8 weeks and I find I'm running around withe the layered look - cami hanging out below my shirt and sweater. Nothing is tucked in.

I try to stay somewhat stylish, but classic at the same time. When the fashion changes I'm able to wear the exact cami, shirt and sweater tucked in.

I have my own style. I usually buy one thing that is considered trendy each season. Like this winter I bought a colorful knit scarf. It fits my personality and matches several coats, so I will probably use it for several years.

I don't like to look dated, but I also don't replace my wardrobe every year. I buy my standards in basic colors, like black, brown, or grey for pants. I have a few colors in tops that look good on me so I will tend toward those colors.

One thing I've been bad about in the past is buying pieces of clothing. This spring I'm going to work on assembling real outfits from what I already own, then it will be easier to add and subtract when necessary.

What I mean is clothing? I tend to take awhile to like the latest styles. They usually have to grow on me. By the time I decide I like it I am behind the times.

I have a sister in law who I thinks just buys outfits for each season in style. I declare she doesn't keep them to the next season but buys new clothing again to keep in style.

I guess I can't see how you can keep in style but to only buy a little and than get rid of it.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't mind looking stylish, but not buying clothes all the time. How do you handle this one?

I don't like to look like other people; never have. Even as a kid I've always dressed a bit "uniquely" unless I was attending a family function, in which case I'd wear whatever my mom wanted me to wear that wouldn't embarass her. Pretty much that hasn't changed in the twenty-odd years since!

I love to shop and buy clothes. I'm just too stubborn and elitest to wear what the majority of folks do LOL. I'm the person who loves what she wears, but whose friends are dying to submit to that TLC show about what not to wear. I'm fortunate to have sisters, cousins, and friends who are uber-stylish and always trendy; if I need something for an event or family function, I let my mom dress me from their closets.

I think you're looking to be fashionable, rather than trendy. I second the idea to buy basics that flatter you (cut, color) and then purchase trendy accessories and the occasional trendy dress or jacket. Best of both worlds!

I tend to stick to basics that don't easily go out of style, and shy away from really trendy stuff. I do update my clothes fairly often though, just so things don't look worn out. Plus, I've had some weight flucuation over the years, so things that fit one year didn't the next.

The plus side is, I had packed away a tub FULL of clothes that were too small a while back...I lost enough weight to get back into them, and they are still in style :001_smile:

Any thoughts?

I just wear what I can find in my size that fits my budget, and looks good. That means I am rarely current with my style. Shopping at thrift stores doesn't help. When I was working full time however I was more conscious of style and would update my wardrobe more often. I saw fashion on others, wore some of my items to the point of being worn or at least very tired of them, and spent more time shopping. Those made me more fashionable.

My mom has always been more fashionable. She reads fashion mags, shops regularly, watches her figure... Sometimes she will wear clothing from one season to the next if it is a more classic piece. Otherwise it goes to the consignment store and she buys something else that is more current.

If I like it...

If it is comfortable, for the most part...

And if I am warm in it.

I love summer dresses on hot days.

I love jeans, pretty t-shirts and sweaters.

I love "lovely" things, but don't have the time or money to hunt them down, so when I find something I like and it doesn't cost much, I get it... like a purple t-shirt with some delicate embroidery at the neckline.

The trouble I have is with shoes... I wish I could buy more of them to go with more things and in more situations...

I am fairly bohemian so the styles of the last couple of summers here- peasant shirts, long maxi dresses, fitted tshirts, pretty stuff- suits me well. I also live in an alternative area where I can wear all sorts of things and get away with it.

However what I have found is that really learning about my figure and what styles suit my bodytype, as well as colours that suit my skin and hair etc, has been much more beneficial than worrying about any current fashion. Once you know whether you look good in olive green- or pastel pink - or whether you look best with an emphasised waist and low neckline or something else....it opens up a whole new world of what fashion means on a personal level. Just because it looks good on the rack doesn't mean it will look good on everybody.

I have a teenage daughter with a very similar bodytype to mine and she has an uncanny fashion sense while being totally unique. She has inspired me to explore what looks good on me, and I know I am a spring colour type (fresh, pure colours- often pastel- rather than olives and burnt or muddy colours)- and that I need to pull my waist in and show my figure with well fitted clothes, rather than cover it over with baggy clothes, which is what I did for most of my adult life.

So now when I wander through fashion stores or even op shops, I have a set of filters I look through- colours and styles- and quite often I cant find anything that suits me- but when I do, I feel better about buying it. Its so much nicer to have a wardrobe of clothes that all look good on my figure, rather than some that do and some that dont and not quite consciously knowing why (since they all look so good on the models, after all).

I ignore most style trends. I try not to look like I've lived in a cave for the last 10 years, but mostly by wearing clothes that don't go out of style in the first place.

I.E., jeans and basic shirts, little black dress, khaki capris in the summer

I look at the fashion mags and think, "are they kidding me???":lol:

I don't care about style, and I generally don't agree with it anyway. I think the current style of women's jeans looks terrible on just about everyone. I think dress shoes with jeans looks as ridiculous now as it did in the 70s disco days. I think white tennis shoes look clean. I think cushy comfortable socks look practical. I think empire waists make everyone look pregnant. I think women who go around wearing tight leggings as pants should put some pants on over those tights they were suckered into believing are pants ! When I observe people following fashion trends, to me it's like The Emperor's New Clothes...a joke. I realize the stylish mommies probably see me as an old-dressing frump. I don't care !!! I'm not falling for the colossal joke that is played on women and passed off as "fashion". :auto:

And someone should tell Stacy that the entire country doesn't live in NYC and want to waste all their money tripping around in ridiculous fussy impractical, uncomfortable clothes just chosen to impress everyone.

Also, if I can see someone's butt crack, tramp stamp, top of her thong, bare "muffin top", the bottom edge of her undies under a way-too-short dress, or she looks like she left the house but forgot to put her clothes on over her long underwear, or oops, forgot to change out of her jammy bottoms.....sorry, I just can't call any of that "style" ;) Trendy here, yes, style, NO.

Edited by laundrycrisis

Also, if I can see someone's butt crack, tramp stamp, top of her thong, bare "muffin top", the bottom edge of her undies under a way-too-short dress, or she looks like she left the house but forgot to put her clothes on over her long underwear, or oops, forgot to change out of her jammy bottoms.....sorry, I just can't call any of that "style" ;) Trendy here, yes, style, NO.

Yes, entirely too much butt crack and tramp stamp these days! Why or why did someone design jeans that low? I personally HATE them. I don't want to worry about "exposing" myself everytime I bend down. Plus, it's cold this time of the year!

I am not a fashion follower and since my hips don't match the top part of me, finding things such as dresses or suits, sometimes even jeans, is frustrating in the extreme. I'm also, when not toooooo busy with the kids, a professional pianist and it's a crazy maker finding "performance" clothes that are comfortable and yet, formal too. Most women's formal fashions these days are colors not appropriate for stage...I do a lot of Bach recitals, classical talks on Chopin, Beethoven, etc. that involve some interesting tidbits about their lives and then the playing too...strapless...I'm not big busted at all but I have hips I hate and so if I buy a dress that accomodates the bottom it's sooo huge on top that I couldn't even begin to alter it and have it lay nicely. Everything is strapless. As a result, I end up with beautiful white blouses, black velvet ankle or floor length skirts, and black velvet jackets. I'd love to wear some color....but I can't find it anywhere and if I have to make it, I'm dependent on whatever stretch velvet I can buy which is nearly always black.

As for casual clothes, I don't really have a style but I do like empire waist shirts, long sweaters to keep my behind warm in the winter, the long sleeve tees from Sonoma which I get a Kohls because they are comfy, come in lots of colors, and can be worn with many things and even dressed up a little with a necklace or pretty scarf, and I try not to buy anything trendy. I generally hate trendy clothes. My jeans are Levi's purchased from our local Tractor Supply Company, LOL.

I supposed that if I worked in business, such as banking or customer service, I'd be a lot more careful about my look.

I did just get few long, fringy bangs that I can sweep to the side and I like them soooo much, that I'm going to have just a few more cut along with a little bit more face framing fringes. I used to have nothing that could be referred to as a hairstyle.

I do think that whatever jeans fit and look comfortable and DON'T SHOW BUTT CRACKS will never really be out of style. Those Sonoma shirts do not go out of style either. They are classic and you just dress them up or down. I think basic skirts that are solid colors and kind of classic, a-line or straight and then flippy at the botom, never really go out either and if they are solid colors, black, gray, navy, brown, etc. you can then wear whatever you want with them.

I've seen the show "What Not to Wear" a couple of times and while I love what they do with make-up and hair, I think some of the clothing they pick is just bizarre. But, they do give good tips on the cut of the clothing and one reason everyone looks good is that they are given the kind of money that allows them to boutique shop for fitted clothes and not the "blob" clothes the rest of us are relegated to affording.

I do like to purchase from Van Heusen and Coldwater Creek. We have an outlet center about 50 minutes from here and a lot of my clothing in the past few years, minus the jeans, have come from those two stores. Van Heusen has beautiful colors and comfortable fabrics. I am the big sale shopper and won't go unless it's the 50% off the store sale. As for Coldwater Creek, they are quite expensive so I shop the clearance racks in the back. My latest black skirt and beautiful, turquoise colored top...oooooo....I get to wear turquoise at my next "Biscotti with Bach" recital, came from Coldwater Creek. Their sizes are generous and most of the store is mix and match which makes it so much easier for me to get the big hip and small bust issue conquered.

Faith

My style is comfortable. I won't wear something just to look good if I'm not comfortable in it. With that said, I wear mostly jeans, sweaters, layered tank tops, and occasionally a tshirt. Sometimes I buy "trendy" tops, but its only because I've seen them and like the way they look and they are comfortable, it has nothing to do with wanting to be trendy.

Once I buy something, I wear it until it doesn't look good anymore. I don't replace my clothes each season. The stuff I packed away last summer is the same stuff I'll pull out for this summer.

(Actually, I get a large financial aid check in 2 weeks, and my parents have told me that if I want to take 500 of it and buy myself clothes, they will help me out when I run out of money, but only if I buy for myself and not DD. I'm so excited to go shopping! Most of the clothes I have right now were bought by my mom for me since I tend to spend most of my money on DD and barely none on myself.)

I have my own....I go with what looks good one me.

Dawn

Same here.

I was more concerned about what was "in style" when I was younger. Now I have developed my own style. It's about what looks good on me and what is comfortable and practical for the occasion.

I complain every spring and summer when they bring out all the pastel colored clothing. Some people don't look good in pastels, myself included. Is there some reason that earth tones are not acceptable for summer apparel? I think not.

Guest RecumbentHeart
Am I fashionable? No, but I don't really care LOL.

This is me. :lol: Although I will say that several times over the years I have been ahead of fashion -- I like to think I led the way. :lol:

Depending on where I am, I do get funny looks for how I choose to dress these days. I wear dresses and skirts over slacks and jeans due to me not liking skirts and dresses by themselves and DH not liking my butt on public display in pants. :tongue_smilie:If I and DH are happy, I don't care about anyone else.

I'm also working on making my own dresses because I can't find what I like. I really don't get the idea of other people, or an impersonal industry, influencing my personal decisions about clothing. :confused:

I remember reading a comment from Angela Lansbury years ago saying you should create your own style.

At the time I was in my mid twenties, single and bringing home a good salary.

I decided to give her advice a try. The look I go for is "classic."

So far it has worked for over 20 years.

Any thoughts?

Edited by kalphs

• 2 weeks later...
However what I have found is that really learning about my figure and what styles suit my body type, as well as colours that suit my skin and hair etc, has been much more beneficial than worrying about any current fashion. Once you know whether you look good in olive green- or pastel pink - or whether you look best with an emphasised waist and low neckline or something else....it opens up a whole new world of what fashion means on a personal level. Just because it looks good on the rack doesn't mean it will look good on everybody.

:iagree:

Having watched lots of episodes of What Not to Wear, although, I haven't seen it (or much TV at all, for that matter) in the longest while. Seems like these boards (and others) have taken over. ;)

Now, that I'm close to 43, I'm much more aware of what would look good on me.

I love this book and highly recommend it.

how-to-never-look-fat-again-charla-krupp-240sc031110.jpg

My style is LL Bean. Sweaters and fleecies, khaki's and jeans (preferably Khaki colored Jeans). Summer khaki and jean shorts, tanks, polos and nice tees. I love tees that have goofy sayings on them, but they really aren't practical. So I try to limit myself to just one or two a year.

Gymshoes or mules.

Same here.

I was more concerned about what was "in style" when I was younger. Now I have developed my own style. It's about what looks good on me and what is comfortable and practical for the occasion.

I complain every spring and summer when they bring out all the pastel colored clothing. Some people don't look good in pastels, myself included. Is there some reason that earth tones are not acceptable for summer apparel? I think not.

:iagree: What looks good on me, what is comfortable, practical, and (I would add) affordable!

In the color department, I wish a range of colors would stay in stores each season. I hate it when "my" colors are out of style for a few years. I'm just not buying anything I don't think I look good in, no matter how "in" it's supposed to be.

I do pay attention to style and enjoy picking and choosing a few items each season that seem "fresh", but I don't revamp my wardrobe every 3 months. I pick what works for me and my lifestyle. I recently purchased a pair of skinny jeans after years of boot-cut. I like the new emphasis on belts and have purchased a couple new ones. I dislike the huge sleeveless sweater trend and won't be getting one. I'm a big fan of really nice shoes, boots, and handbages. I tend to buy the best quality I can without being outrageous (for me).

I would like to be a little more stylish. I feel dumpy and frumpy most of the time. However, I cannot afford to buy a bunch of new clothes each season, and I just can't bring myself to wear something for one season and get rid of it. Unless I really hate it. And then I even hang on to it for some strange reason. Probably some throw-back to my Depression Era ancestors.

I like to be in style but can't afford to purchase new things. I usually go to a thrift store with a general look in mind and see if I cant find something comparable. I will revamp things if I really really love something. For the most part I stick to nice fitting jeans, layered tops and spiff it up with good earrings, bangles, and/or necklaces. I have a pair of black high heeled boots that I wear when I need a more polished look. I have a pair of brown Ariat boots for every other day.

I think that the hair and accessories are more important to an updated look that the clothes. Basics always look good. A trendy pair of earrings are a lot cheaper than a pair of skinny pants. Less guilt that way. :D