Menu

am I paranoid??

My husband just got a phone call from a friend of ours, inviting him and our 2 sons to a 2 day trip to a professional hockey game. I think this is a great thing for my husband and boys to do, but I am nervous that a week before Christmas and a week before our annual 2 week vacation to visit family, that the extra exposure to germs will put our family at a higher risk for sickness. My husband thinks I am nuts in the head for being concerned...and I think he is crazy for not caring about the added risk. They will be staying in motels, sitting in a crowded stadium, shopping at Mall of America to kill time Monday afternoon, eating in restuarants...what would you do....would you be concerned and want them to stay home...or would you not care and take the risk??

Kathy

I'll admit that it would bother me too- especially the thought of one of them picking up a stomach flu :willy_nilly:. But, it wouldn't be enough for me to be opposed to their going. Really, anyone could get just as sick by going to the local grocery store. :glare:

So yes, *I* would be concerned and *want* them to stay home, but I'd keep those thoughts to myself, not worry about what *might* happen and wish them a great time.

On a side note... make sure they know how to check the motels for bed bugs. :tongue_smilie::willy_nilly:

I'll admit that it would bother me too- especially the thought of one of them picking up a stomach flu :willy_nilly:. But, it wouldn't be enough for me to be opposed to their going. Really, anyone could get just as sick by going to the local grocery store. :glare:

So yes, *I* would be concerned and *want* them to stay home, but I'd keep those thoughts to myself, not worry about what *might* happen and wish them a great time.

On a side note... make sure they know how to check the motels for bed bugs. :tongue_smilie::willy_nilly:

oh thanks...something else for me to worry about....how do you check for bed bugs????

they won't take airborne...is there an alternative?? Does vit C and suppliments like airborne keep the stomach flu germs away...I could really care less about a cold...you can still do Christmas and take a trip with a cold...not so much with a kid throwing up....

Ahhh. See, those are my worries too. Colds, I can handle. Stomach viruses, not so much.

Do what you can to keep their immune systems strong and have them take some extra probiotics as well. I don't really know what you can do to ward off those stomach bugs. :001_unsure:

If I were you, I'd try not to worry about it though. Honestly, those things are picked up everywhere. Making sure they know good hand washing techniques may help put your mind at ease. Besides, there's been a few threads here about posters picking up horrid germs from going to visit family. Best laid plans and all that... :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug:

but I am nervous that a week before Christmas and a week before our annual 2 week vacation to visit family, that the extra exposure to germs will put our family at a higher risk for sickness. ....would you be concerned and want them to stay home...or would you not care and take the risk??

Kathy

It would have never occurred to me to think about picking up germs.

Just like I wouldn't have thought that the extra traffic for the event could result in a car accident.

Yes, those things can happen, but I don't let the possibilities stop me from living my life, nor does dh. So, if it was us, the trip would be a go.

I wouldn't worry & would send them off to have a fabulous time. :001_smile:

BTW, I just took a trip to DC for a long weekend w/ my dad & sister. We stayed in a hotel (actually 2 different rooms), were out in public places w/ crowds, ate in lots of restaurants, traveled by plane & train, etc.... Everything was (& is) fine.

I'd be way less worried about germs than about the lack of sleep and change of routine...that's what gets my kids sick. Can you insist that they get enough sleep while gone, as a condition of letting them go?

I wish I could...chances are, the nights will be late and long...and my 6 year old is normally in bed by 8 every night...and I am sure it will be way later than that...the game is a night game...although, I don't know what time the games starts...

My husband just got a phone call from a friend of ours, inviting him and our 2 sons to a 2 day trip to a professional hockey game. I think this is a great thing for my husband and boys to do, but I am nervous that a week before Christmas and a week before our annual 2 week vacation to visit family, that the extra exposure to germs will put our family at a higher risk for sickness. My husband thinks I am nuts in the head for being concerned...and I think he is crazy for not caring about the added risk. They will be staying in motels, sitting in a crowded stadium, shopping at Mall of America to kill time Monday afternoon, eating in restuarants...what would you do....would you be concerned and want them to stay home...or would you not care and take the risk??

Kathy

I do the same thing this time of year. It makes enjoying any kind of outing really tough for me. I know it is a little rediculous, and though I haven't read the other replies I bet you'll hear that yes, you are paranoid--but you aren't alone. I'm actually this way all year long, but it really ramps up the few weeks before Christmas. If they do go, send them with hand sanitizer to keep in their pockets and use til their hands bleed! :001_smile: Seriously, though, my husband works in a very high-germ profession and religiously washing his hands and using the sanitizer really makes a difference. We even use it to wipe down the tables and chairs at restaraunts, wipe it on any item handed to us at a drive-thru or store--I think it really helps. At least I need to think it helps!

Hope you're able to come to an agreement you're both comfortable with! Fortunately my hubby and I are equally germ-phobic, though I find myself inching into crazy territory lately, so we are usually on the same page about that kind of thing. It does sound like a fun outing!

What's funny is that it would be DH worrying in our household, not me! He'd have DD wrapped up like a cabbage and fussing over whether or not she's getting exposed to this, that, or the other germs all the time. Me, I'd be off and running (not to hockey, mind you, but the girly-girl equivalent!).

Let them go, cross your fingers, remind DH to keep them bundled in the cold, and let them have fun. :)

I am a hypochondriac and I would not hesitate one minute to let my dh and kids go! You can't protect them from every little thing from now till Christmas! They could get sick at church, at the mall Christmas shopping, at the gas station, playing with a friend, at the grocery store, etc. Let 'em go!

P.S. I'd worry more about bed bugs at the hotel than them getting sick!

We always carry extra hand sanitizer & wipes this time of the year - more people out & about, and some of them are indeed sick but don't want to 'miss out' on things, need to get christmas stuff, etc. We always sanitize our hands before eating, after leaving stores, etc - sometimes still in the mall/whatever, if we've just used something with a high likelihood of being germy (bathroom doors, railings, etc) - and I use wipes on tables/chairs or other things we're about to use.

It *sounds* like a lot of work, but it really isn't. It's pretty much habit for us and takes very little time at all. You don't even need to stop walking to rub some sanitizer on your hands. :)

It would have never occurred to me to think about picking up germs.

Just like I wouldn't have thought that the extra traffic for the event could result in a car accident.

Yes, those things can happen, but I don't let the possibilities stop me from living my life, nor does dh. So, if it was us, the trip would be a go.

Yes, this.

Although I admit to being the mom at the mall who has always told (okay, sometimes I've barked at) my kids to not touch the escalator railing, and I've always been after them to stop touching their faces. But I would never think about it ahead of time.:001_smile:

OP, I would also be thinking of these things, so you are not alone. It wouldn't stop me from letting them go, but you'd better believe they'd be armed with plenty of hand sanitizer! I stress when the kids are sick, especially when it's around larger events (ie. holidays, vacations, etc), but sometimes things just happen.

I hope they have a fantastic time!

I recommend the book "Wild at Heart" for you to read. It will help you release him to be the adventurer and to perhaps be less fearful (or at least more understanding) of his non-concern about the risks that worry you. Not that you can't be wise and cautious but it might help you as your boys continue to want to do more and more adventurous things.

But I'd give conditions:

• They must drink 6 to 8 cups of water daily.
  • They must try to get enough sleep each night.
  • They must eat a breakfast cereal high in fiber (this grabs stomach bugs and carries they out of the digestive track).
  • They must blow their noses several times a day, and, if they are use to using a neti pot or sinus rinse, they must use that each day, too.
  • They must use waterless hand cleaner whenever they get into the car and carry it with them to use as needed. When shopping, they might want to consider leaving their gloves on.
  • They need to remember to take a good multi-vitamin daily.

Did I forget anything?

That, imo, is the best you can do any time, any where. Then I'd send them out for the fun!

Jean