Menu

What are your favorite wines for $15 or less?

If you're interested in whites, I recommend Cupcake pinot grigio and chardonnay (LOVE this!), Crane Lake pinot grigio, and Souverain chardonnay (might be hard to find, I don't think there's much left). These range between $8 and $13 here. I've been trying to keep track of the ones I like, and I've identified these three in the last few weeks.

ETA that DH likes pretty much anything under the Mondavi and Woodbridge names. I'm not a hug fan of reds, but he is.

I'm particularly interested in Merlot, but would like to hear about any you particularly like. I'm looking for wine for drinking with dinner on a regular basis and am tired of trial and error.

What do you like/not like?

My dh likes cheap red wine like Lambrusco. I prefer light whites like Spatlese Rieslings.

I don't like wine that kinda "bites". (Since I am not high enough class to know the correct nomenclature, that is the best I can do!) Is smooth the right word?

I've liked nearly all Merlot I've tried, which is why I specified that. When I was younger, I drank more white wine, but have switched mostly to red (because of health benefits) over the years. Still, I'd be interested in white wines as well.

I checked with dh who remembers these things better than I and he said an Australian merlot from Rosemont Estates is one that I've liked. I just want more choices to try.

Edited by Laurie4b

If you're interested in whites, I recommend Cupcake pinot grigio and chardonnay (LOVE this!)

I really like the Cupcake pinot grigio, too! Lemon-y and yummy. I like it almost as much as my current favorite white, Santa Margherita pinot grigio, which is a few dollars more.

For reds, I'm a Pinot Noir or Merlot drinker. I love Louis Jadot, Louis Latour, or La Crema Pinot Noir. Pinot Noir can be expensive for the "good stuff, but for around 15$, I find those very drinkable.

Merlot can also be pricey, but Ravenswood and Frontera are generally inexpensive and still very drinkable.

Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages or B. Noveau (spelling) are also lovely light reds.

I'm not a big white drinker, but when I do drink white, I like Frog's Leap Sauvingon Blanc just because it makes me happy :-), or Pinot Grigio (esp. Barefoot -- it is super cheap, too!).

I don't like wine that kinda "bites". (Since I am not high enough class to know the correct nomenclature, that is the best I can do!) Is smooth the right word?

You don't like "tannic" wine. These tannins help big oaky wines like Cabernet Sauvignons bottle age nicely and add complexity at maturity. There is no fault in not liking them in a young wine.

You might enjoy trying a very young Beaujolais Nouveau from France. This is the season for this light bodied French wines.

"Two Buck Chuck" from Trader Joes is actually called "Charles Shaw." it could not be confused with a "great" wine, but for $2 it is a great value and not bad.

If you decant a wine you find a little "tannic" (astringent) and let it "breath" a while, you will find the wine "mellows" on its own with a little time. There are also several gizmos that you can pour wine through to "aerate" the wine which does make it "softer". This treatment might save some of the more "complex" wines for you.

Bill

Georges DuBouef Nouveau Beaujolais. It is my fave red, and can be served slightly chilled. It usually runs right at ten per bottle.

I wouldn't discount without trying them, the Oak Leaf wines from Wal Mart. They are THREE dollars a bottle, but are all really good. I like the Pinot Grigio, but dd enjoys the reds (cab and merlot). I read about them in a cooking magazine - they were in the top ten under ten one month. Worth a try!

Well, I particularly like Arbor Mist wines. They have many different types and flavors such as a Blackberry Merlot. They are a low alcohol content wine and are really more like a wine cooler but tasty and refreshing. Great for making sangria. I generally prefer rosatos and zinfandels though so if you are looking for a stronger taste they may not be for you.

The wines from either Yellow Tail or Alice White (an Australian brand) are very good and are generally less than $10/bottle. I favor the reds from either of them, like their merlots or cabernet/savignon blends, but their whites have also been excellent choices as well, particularly the chardonnays.

Yellowtail - merlot, pinot noir, chardonnay, whatever - is our "go to."

I like Robert Mondavi merlot... and Two Vines Merlot...

I really like cabernet sauvignon, BUT, I wake up middle of the night with a head ache when I drink it. NO, I don't drink a lot... we're talking 6-8 ounces and I will have a head ache.

I never get a head ache with merlot.

I'm particularly interested in Merlot, but would like to hear about any you particularly like. I'm looking for wine for drinking with dinner on a regular basis and am tired of trial and error.

I'd say that pretty much everything we drink falls into this category. Some brands to look for:

Concho y Toro (from Chile)

Santa Rita (also Chile)

Lindemans (Australia, though I tend to buy their whites, not red)

Black Swan (our go to brand for reds for dinner)

Chateau St. Michelle (Washington state, again, mostly for whites. This is sort of my hometown label and I've stuck with them for decades. If you like sweeter wines, their Riesling and Gewurtztraminer are very tasty.)

We rarely pay more than $10 a bottle for wine. Some wines we like:

Banrock Station (Australia)

Steeplejack (Australia)

Concha y Toro/Frontera (Chile)

Los Vascos (Chile)

Red Truck (California)

Vansha (South Africa)

Two Oceans (South Africa)

In general, South American red wines (Argentina, Chile) are very tasty and a great value.

I have some wonderful suggestions,,,, but I don't like Merlot - so here are some reds you may like...

Lucky Star Pinot Noir (to die for, especially for the price), Alamos Malbec, Red Bicyclette Pinot Noir, and sorta kinda maybe in a pinch - Fat B@st@rd Shiraz (sorry about the name.......) and Rex Goliath Shiraz.

I know a good friend of mine who drinks Merlot, and he swears that the best deal he has found has been Little Penguin - but I find them hit or miss. However, for $6.99, even a few misses are ok :)

Someone mentioned Beringer earlier in the thread. They make several versions of each kind of wine. The el-cheapo ones that I always have handy are the California Collection merlot and cabernet (Beringer has several different tiers; the California Collection is the least expensive, so check the bottle because the Private Reserve or Napa Valley, etc, are more expensive - but also really nice!). They sell around here for $5-$6 and are smooth and tasty.

Another inexpensive one that I like is the Menage A Trois California Red. It is a blend of zinfandel, merlot and cabernet and is a lovely mixture. I've never paid over $9 for that one.

Based on what you said you liked, I think you'd be happy with a blend of grapes, aka red table wine. Or a syrah (also called Shiraz) is fruity and smooth, but usually more expensive. Syrah is my favorite, followed a Pinot Noir, then a Zin, then the cab and merlot.

Edited by LauraGB

Can't say as I've ever heard of a 3 Buck Chuck... :bigear: Can you tell me more?

I always take advantage of the little plastic cups of vino they offer, but haven't found anything I like particularly.

3 buck (or 2 buck if you're lucky :tongue_smilie:) is the Charles Shaw label at TJ's. It's a crap shoot but normally okay. But then again my goal lately is to see how cheap I can go and still get a decent wine (taste buds are not refined - and I am keeping it that way).

3 buck (or 2 buck if you're lucky :tongue_smilie:) is the Charles Shaw label at TJ's. It's a crap shoot but normally okay. But then again my goal lately is to see how cheap I can go and still get a decent wine (taste buds are not refined - and I am keeping it that way).

They are $2 here. :001_smile:

I have found the Chardonnay and Shiraz to be quite drinkable. I like the Cabernet for cooking. And the Pinot Grigio for wine cooler mixing.