Menu

Best opening line of a children's book?

Can it be a two-sentence line? ;)

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. This story is about something that happened to them when they were sent away from London during the war because of the air-raids.

Two lines, but well, you know...

I just love this phrase in the second sentence: ...about *something* that happened... delicious understatement!

How about the first line to Understood Betsy?

When this story begins, Elizabeth Ann, who is the heroine of it, was a little girl of nine, who lived with her Great-aunt Harriet in a medium-sized city in a medium-sized state in the middle of ths country; and that's all you need to know about the place, for it's not the important thing in the story; and anyhow you kinow all about it because it was probably very much like the place you live in yourself.

Not as weighty as most of the already mentioned books, but I'm partial to the first line of Millicent Min, Girl Genius:

"I have been accused of being anal retentive, an overachiever, and a compulsive perfectionist, like those are bad things."

I also like the opening to Kevin Henkes's picture book, Chester's Way:

"Chester had his own way of doing things."

Once upon a time there was....

"A king?" did I hear you cry?

But if you did cry "king" children, you were wrong. Because once upon a time there was.....

..... a piece of wood.

from Pinocchio. I liked this line when I read it and although I'm sure other great opening lines to children's stories I've read in my life, this is the one I could think of. :tongue_smilie:

I admit I had to check for accuracy, because it's long, and perhaps not as good as some---but, this is what first came to me:

"Most motorcars are conglomerations (that is a long word for bundles) of steel and wire and rubber and plastic, and electricity and oil and gasoline and water, and the toffee papers you pushed down in the back seat last Sunday."

Edited by LibraryLover

The Mole had been working hard all the morning, spring-cleaning his little home; first with brooms, then with brushes, then with ladders and steps and chairs, with a brush and a pail of whitewash. (punctuation is a guess)

Wind in the Willows

We used to have this on tape when I was a small child, and it's one of my earliest memories.

I also love:

Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin.

- A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh

The Mole had been working hard all the morning, spring-cleaning his little home; first with brooms, then with brushes, then with ladders and steps and chairs, with a brush and a pail of whitewash. (punctuation is a guess)

Wind in the Willows

We used to have this on tape when I was a small child, and it's one of my earliest memories.

I also love:

Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin.

- A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh

I love the first line of Wind in the Willows too. :)

A cow jumping over the moon.. Sorry, couldn't resist. I love Goodnight Moon!

One of my favorites:

"By the big red barn

in the great, green field,

there was a pink pig who was learning to squeal."

Big Red Barn

I also like

"Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. They were the last people you'd expect to be involved in anything strange or mysterious, because they just didn't hold with such nonsense."

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Edited by sagira