Menu

Need feminine pad recommendation please

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also....I like fleece backings. Not a fan of fleece tops though.

Chenille is SUPER comfy. I like flannel as well, though it can stain.

Otherwise I have velour, hemp (kinda like inside of a sweatshirt, and organic cotton. Those are nice as well.

I suggest you get a starter set with a couple different sizes.

If you can sew, they are pretty simple. (I can not so.... Lol )

Check on Etsy. Look at different shapes to see what you think would work best for you. I like wings with snaps under. But everyone is different.

They are super comfy. I will never go back! :)

I am looking at buying some reusable feminine pads. Anyone have a particular brand that they love? Thanks!

My favorites are the Wemoon pads. They are made in Australia so they cost a bit more for shipping. I've also bought different ones on eBay and etsy, but the Wemoon are my favorite.

Wemoon

Used to make my own and hope to get back to it one day. A friend of mine owned Mimzie's Wimzies on Hyenacart and I liked the ones she made as well. I've heard good things of Mothers & Maidens and of Gladrags. There are plenty of WAHM's on Etsy and Hyenacart. You may find a deal, style, and type of materials you like. Some WAHM make customs (you choose this and that and they sew it & send it).

A friend used to laugh at me when we'd be on the phone. "What are you doing?" "Ironing." "Ironing what?" "Mamapads." Made a great intro to conversation with my oldest daughter about some of the facts of life as well.

It's news to me, too! My choice may not be eco-friendly, but disposables sure are convenient (and less messy!)

Oh, but the cloth is so much more comfy and pretty! I thought people were nuts until I tried them for myself.

If you sew, I made a free pattern for them - the page gets hits from all over the world, and several groups have used the pattern for charity projects. I've also listed a bunch of other patterns. The discussion thread on Craftster is particularly useful (though lengthy!)

I cannot remember the brand I use, I don't think it matters much. I do like the snaps on the wings though.

ITA cloth is sooooo much more comfy than disposable. I have read that using cloth leads to shorter period times as well, not sure if that is true though.

It's news to me, too! My choice may not be eco-friendly, but disposables sure are convenient (and less messy!)

Of course, I used disposable diapers for my ds, too...

Cat

Actually, I've found cloth to be less messy, less irritable, and less smelly (the scents and chemicals they add to disposables just make things worse, ugh!).

I didn't even know they MADE such a thing! Learn something new every day!

Try it for a month, you might be a convert... I ran out one month, and used some microfibre cloths I had around the house. I haven't bought disposable since (4 months), and am trying to find a pattern I like to make myself some proper ones.

Question! What do you do when you're out and about and need to change one? Do you bring a special baggie with you? I like the concept, but am thinking of the execution in reality... LOL

Actually, yes. They even sell homemade, waterproofed bags for them...or you can carry a little ziplock. Same with cloth diapers, you use a zipper bag...just bigger for a diaper and smaller for a pad.

Question! What do you do when you're out and about and need to change one? Do you bring a special baggie with you? I like the concept, but am thinking of the execution in reality... LOL

Some people use disposables for when they're running around, but cloth pads aren't as hard as you might think. The nifty thing with them is that you can fold them up and snap them closed so they are a tidy little package and then just tuck it in your purse till you get home. Wemoon sells little "purses" that you can keep a fresh pad in and put your used one in - that's what I use when I need to.

Embarrassingly enough, about 5 years ago, I heard about this, and decided to try just washcloths folded in thirds for a month or two to see if I could handle the whole idea or not. I planned on making myself some, but just never got around to it. Yep- still using those washcloths :blush:. I couldn't ever justify spending the money on buying something so simple, and I never found time to sew them!

So, question. I had little plastic trashcans that the lid popped up and there was a seperate liner inside. I would fill the liner up with water for my "moon pot". However, my liner broke! As I'm currently new with child and nursing, I won't be needing another anytime soon, but I had to order this one.

What do you all use for your "moon pot"?

So....to be totally gross..umm, how do you care for these during that time?

I mean, I am not a total dunce:lol:, I used cloth diapers for DS. We used the toilet for dropping "chunks" into and if extra-sticky, did a little swishing in the toilet, and had an two-sink bathroom, where one was designated as "diaper only soak sink" if needed. Lined trashcan was rectepacle until wash day. While all of that was fine, I was happy when those days were over. My DH was fine with all of this but I am pretty sure he wouldn't be the same with my stuff! He has a "blood fear" in general, and plus doesn't even like to see a box of tampons on the back of the toilet (such a child!)

But I am not getting these. I mean, a bit TMI here, but some of my flow is quite heavy and gloppy (I think I just made that word up!:D). What do you do with the pads while in cycle, as far as storage? How do you deal with "glop"? How do you prevent long term staining?

My favorites are the Wemoon pads. They are made in Australia so they cost a bit more for shipping. I've also bought different ones on eBay and etsy, but the Wemoon are my favorite.

Wemoon

:iagree: The Wemoons are my favorites, and the shipping from Australia actually isn't that bad. I also like the Glad Rag nighttime ones, but just for nights - I dont' like the Glad Rag daytime ones at all.

I just use a sandwich ziploc... :tongue_smilie: Wemoon also sells a little carrying pouch, so I have 2-3 extras fresh ones in there, plus the ziploc for used ones.

I mean, I am not a total dunce:lol:, I used cloth diapers for DS. We used the toilet for dropping "chunks" into and if extra-sticky, did a little swishing in the toilet, and had an two-sink bathroom, where one was designated as "diaper only soak sink" if needed. Lined trashcan was rectepacle until wash day. While all of that was fine, I was happy when those days were over. My DH was fine with all of this but I am pretty sure he wouldn't be the same with my stuff! He has a "blood fear" in general, and plus doesn't even like to see a box of tampons on the back of the toilet (such a child!)

But I am not getting these. I mean, a bit TMI here, but some of my flow is quite heavy and gloppy (I think I just made that word up!:D). What do you do with the pads while in cycle, as far as storage? How do you deal with "glop"? How do you prevent long term staining?

I want to know, too. Can someone tell us from start to finish EXACTLY what is involved in this? The nitty-gritty?

I hate the disposable pads, but didn't really know there was another option...

Do they work all night, or does it leak? (The disposables often leak for me overnight.)

And why bother with a pretty print? Doesn't it just get stained?

Please, tell all!

I am not being snarky, I am truly asking: Why does it matter if it is stained?

I love my cloth pads and they have totally lessened my flow. *TMI* but if there is a clot I just toilet paper and wipe it off, throw it into the toilet.

I have overnight pads for overnight. They are extra long and absorbent. I do get leaks sometimes at night but I would with a disposable, too.

As for DH's opinion: He thinks it is weird and gross but that's why it's called personal hygiene. he doesn't get a say.:D

Oh, but the cloth is so much more comfy and pretty! I thought people were nuts until I tried them for myself.

If you sew, I made a free pattern for them - the page gets hits from all over the world, and several groups have used the pattern for charity projects. I've also listed a bunch of other patterns. The discussion thread on Craftster is particularly useful (though lengthy!)

Thanks for the pattern -- I know I'll be too lazy to use it, but it gave me an idea of what these things actually look like!

Now I'm wondering if anyone else I know has ever heard of these pads. I'm betting they don't, although I know one fellow homeschooling mom who just might; she seems to know everything about natural and eco-friendly stuff!

Thanks again! :001_smile:

Cat

Nitty gritty ahead:

I don't treat mine special in any way except to not wash in hot. As I use them, I fold them into their little self-bundle and put them in a basket on a shelf in our bathroom. When I run a load of laundry - any load except whites - I toss in all the used ones. That's that. No soaking, no separate load, no damage to other laundry. If you are queasy about it, do a separate load or throw them in with towels or sheets. Some of mine have faint stains. Nothing awful. Party in My Pants sells a special detergent or laundry additive or something. I forget what it is. Probably something like oxiclean or rockin green. I'd still rather have lightly stained cute prints than sticky uncomfortable disposables. Yes, I've had an overnight leak or two. Depends on the pad, obviously. You can order them or make them in different lengths, widths, and absorbancy. Figure out what works for you overnight, and stick with those. Use lighter/smaller for day. Similar to disposables really. I have a pretty big variety of sizes/absorbancy and grab what's appropriate.

FWIW, I was cloth diapering but still creeped out by cloth pads. I am so glad I finally tried them. They really are so much more pleasant and comfortable than disposables. They're much easier to care for than cloth diapers. And not to get too tree-hugger hippy dippy, but I do worry about the chemicals in disposables.

And why bother with a pretty print? Doesn't it just get stained?

Some fabrics seem more prone to staining than others. Obviously, dark colors are a good choice. But it's really amazing what will come out with cold water. I wash mine with a cold load of wash, then with a warm load. This is usually sufficient. Some folks soak them first. Any sort of container will do - a 4-cup yogurt container in the bathroom cabinet will do just fine, or you could have something beautiful if you like.

If you think you'd like them, just try a couple for light days, when you're at home, and see how it goes. If you like them, you can mix-and-match cloth and disposables depending on your flow and your day's plans; no need to be exclusive. They're also great for tampon or Diva Cup back-up if you've got a heavy flow.

I mean, a bit TMI here, but some of my flow is quite heavy and gloppy (I think I just made that word up!:D). What do you do with the pads while in cycle, as far as storage? How do you deal with "glop"? How do you prevent long term staining?

Well, I always (when using disposable pads, etc.) use a bit of toilet paper to get any clots or "glop" (LOL) off my pad/liner and put into the toilet. Sometimes I can feel it and go to the restroom just to get rid of it and *don't* need to actually change the pad, kwim? So I think you'd probably just do the same before removing the pad and then washing? That's my plan, anyhow, if I get some of these. But my periods are only light-moderate, so maybe I'm not the best person to answer this... :)

I've rarely had to change one when I'm out. I only use cloth liners on the heaviest days as back-up to my Diva Cup. If I do need to change one, there's typically just a bit on the liner. I roll it and snap it closed and pop it into a zippered pocket of my purse.

I've been doing this for about 7 or 8 years now with no problems. Using the Diva Cup and cloth liners has definitely decreased my flow and cramping. Love them :001_wub:.

Thanks for posting the sites with other cloth pads! I use Lunapads, but they were pricey and I'd like to get some new ones. I can't complain too much. They've obviously held up!

I am not being snarky, I am truly asking: Why does it matter if it is stained?

As for DH's opinion: He thinks it is weird and gross but that's why it's called personal hygiene. he doesn't get a say.:D

Guess it doesn't matter, on the other hand, the whole pretty fabric etc, would just make it seem as if stain-free is the optimal choice, just as I always strove to make the cloth diapers stain free.

I wasn't implying that my DH would have a say on what products I use for my period. Maybe I was muddling in my first post. My point was that our master bathroom was cloth diaper central, with one sink devoted to soaking, sometimes one soaking from side of toilet, large can full of dirty ones waiting to be washed etc. DH has a fear of blood, and add to that a teenage boy's fear of womanly products (For example, last month: Him : "Do you HAVE to keep those on the back of those toilet, so I have to look at them?!, speaking of tampons. Me: "Well, I am not planning on walking across the bathroom with my underwear around my ankles and blood dripping to get a new one, so yeah, they have to be there for the moment!".) While he was fully accepting of the cloth diaper situation, he wouldn't be happy to see our bathroom taken of over, with products soaking in sinks, bloody at that, etc. Thus my question of how everyone stores, cleans them, etc during that time of the month.

But now that some have explained, I see that it wouldn't need to be an issue at all.

I keep a little waterproof bag next to the toilet (our commode is it's own little room). I switched to reusable menstrual products (menstrual cups and cloth pads) eight years ago and like them much more (obviously) than disposable. When I'm done with my period I soak in the washer (separate load) and then wash in cold. Dh is a bit squeamish about the whole topic and I think simply averts his eyes from my stash. :tongue_smilie:

Ok, now this just isn't fair.

Why did I ever open this thread?

Now I'm thinking of trying these pads, when up until this afternoon, I'd never even heard of them.

You're all just a big, evil bunch of enablers!!! :D

Cat

Honestly....you will LOVE them! I actually almost have no cramps when I use them. It is amazing!

Honestly....you will LOVE them! I actually almost have no cramps when I use them. It is amazing!

Ok, now I'm very interested...have been thinking about trying cloth for a long time, but this is new news to me.

They really decrease your cramps? (Not saying I don't believe...I'm just sitting here all incredulous and hopeful, lol)

Do you have any idea why that is?

Anyone else have this experience?

Now I'm thinking of trying these pads, when up until this afternoon, I'd never even heard of them.

After 4 months of wash cloths this thread finally prompted me to buy some bamboo hemp online and to download 2 patterns I like from the 10 or so I found online. I'm off to the fabric shop tonight for some flannelette.

As for the practical side of things, with the wash cloths, I've been throwing them into the washing machine and leaving them there until the next wash. If I've had a very heavy flow I might quickly rinse them first, but it doesn't seem necessary .

I've used CPs for 5-6 years now & dd has only used CPs. She even took CPs to uni with her this year & has taken them on tramps, camping, etc. We have a small lidded rubbish bin next to the toilet that the used CPs go in. The 1st month or so I had this half filled with water for soaking, but found that it was too much hassell & wasn't really necessary. Instead we each rinse our pads out during our showers & rub a stain stick over any possible stains. Then the rinsed pads are put in the hamper for the next load of laundry. About once a year I'll wash my whole set of CPs in a separate load on warm & dry in the drier. Normally they are washed with our daily laundry on cold & hung outside to dry.

When I was considering changing to CPs I first bought a dozen navy washcloths to see if I could handle the "mess." I found that it was a lot less messy to use cloth. Using CPs also did not irritate me like DPs do. I was used to that time of the month being extremely painful due to being rubbed raw by reactions to something in DPs. I use NewMoonPads & dd uses LunaPads. Both are made in Canada. A couple years ago I tried a Diva & found that was great for the first 1-2 days when my flow was heavier. I still use the navy washcloths occasionally for nighttime as they are don't tend to leak on my heavier days. Dh only wondered what was up when I put the rubbish can next to the toilet. He now just ignores the whole thing. My boys have never commented on the CPs even when they hang out the laundry. I think they see them as a female thing to be put up with, but ignored like bras. :tongue_smilie:

One unexpected benefit about using CPs is that dd doesn't dread her "." or be embarrassed about it. It's just a natural part of her life. Dd has spoken to her friends about CPs & has had a few switch to CPs.

JMHO,

Edited by Deb in NZ

For the poster with the DH that is icked out: you can get a moonpot; basically, a medium sized container to set behind or near the toilet, or under the sink, that has a lid and you keep some cold water in it. Just put the pad in there to soak till you wash. He doesn't have to see anything. For keeping pads, put them in a cut basket up on a shelf above the toilet...toss a handtowel over it if need be.

Dark fabrics may be better for staining, but lighter fabrics are better for absorbency as they have absorbed less dye. Same goes for towels in the bath...a cream coloured towel will absorb more than a dark brown or red towel.

There are pads that have a w/p backing if you feel better about it at night. Most women have experienced less symptoms (clotting, cramping, heavy flow) with cloth than with disposables. There is speculation that the chemicals in disposables may negatively affect our cycles.

Edited by mommaduck

I just wanted to add that if you contact Michele from Gem Cloth for a custom need she will do anything! I asked her for a flannel or fleece longer piece to wear under one at night for leakage to the front or back and she sent me 2 styles for free!!! She is on the diaperswappers forum if you want to pm her directly. She really is great and her pads are not too $$$.

a moonpot; basically, a medium sized container to set behind or near the toilet, or under the sink, that has a lid and you keep some cold water in it.

New to this, but the only time I've thought it was a bad idea was when I did soak the wash cloths in water overnight. I couldn't handle the smell. I found leaving them dry didn't create a smell. Anyone else have a similar experience? Would tea tree or something in the water lessen the smell? Or it might just be a personal reaction to the specific odour.