Menu

Need feminine pad recommendation please

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New to this, but the only time I've thought it was a bad idea was when I did soak the wash cloths in water overnight. I couldn't handle the smell. I found leaving them dry didn't create a smell. Anyone else have a similar experience? Would tea tree or something in the water lessen the smell? Or it might just be a personal reaction to the specific odour.

Yes, it's just like with diapers: some prefer wet storage and others prefer dry (I prefer dry, but have heard of women that preferred wet). I would think some baking soda might help with smell?

I, too, found that soaking them was smelly, but just putting the used CPs in the bin & rinsing later I had no trouble with smells.

Yep. Soaking smelly, dry no problem. I just put 'em in an old ditty bag I have left over from cloth diapering days. To wash I do a soaking load on cold with washing soda, then wash them in warm with a load of towels or whatever - similar to what I used to do with diapers, except there was no room to add towels and there might have been a third run on hot with those...

If you toss them in on cold first, there is no need to soak them and they won't stain.

Ok, now I'm very interested...have been thinking about trying cloth for a long time, but this is new news to me.

They really decrease your cramps? (Not saying I don't believe...I'm just sitting here all incredulous and hopeful, lol)

Do you have any idea why that is?

Anyone else have this experience?

I have less cramping and bleeding. :)

After reading all the responses I'm so excited to try some!! I switched to a Diva cup awhile back so I rarely wear pads, but dd is too young for one of those and absolutely despises the disposable pads. When I told her I was thinking about some reusable pads, she was very interested. She's willing to try pretty much anything if she can get rid of the disposables. :001_smile:

As for the cramping, I've found I have less just by switching to the Diva Cup. But I also only wear a pad 1 or 2 days so not sure if the decreased cramping is from wearing a pad less days or using the Diva.

I just wanted to add that if you contact Michele from Gem Cloth for a custom need she will do anything! I asked her for a flannel or fleece longer piece to wear under one at night for leakage to the front or back and she sent me 2 styles for free!!! She is on the diaperswappers forum if you want to pm her directly. She really is great and her pads are not too $$$.
:iagree:She was SO helpful to me and responded to my emails very quickly. BTW: Until viewing this thread I didn't even know these alternatives existed and now I am anxiously awaiting my first purchase! What an awesome community you all are!

Um....did y'all say "reusable"?:001_huh: I have never heard of anything like this! So, you really think you have a lighter flow, and less cramping? Really?? And they aren't that hard to take care of? Hmm. Oddly intrigued by this.

Someone said something about an insert. Do they all have an insert, or is it just one unit? I don't think I'd want to take out an insert after...well, you know.

So, just asking, but why not tampons? Someone mentioned they get irritated using disposables, and I find that happens too. I usualy use tampons because of that and the mess, but sometimes they make be feel crampier.

I cannot believe I might end up trying these.:blink:

Um....did y'all say "reusable"?:001_huh: I have never heard of anything like this! So, you really think you have a lighter flow, and less cramping? Really?? And they aren't that hard to take care of? Hmm. Oddly intrigued by this.

Someone said something about an insert. Do they all have an insert, or is it just one unit? I don't think I'd want to take out an insert after...well, you know.

So, just asking, but why not tampons? Someone mentioned they get irritated using disposables, and I find that happens too. I usualy use tampons because of that and the mess, but sometimes they make be feel crampier.

I'm looking into these as well. There are kinds that have inserts, but most I've come across are the all-in-one design. or the AIO :)

What I found intriguing were the all-in-one panties :) Lunapads sells an all-in-one panties for light flow, and wemoon has an all-in-one panties for overnights.

Party in my pants and Lundapads have liner giveaway for the newbie for the price of shipping (3.99 for the former, $5.00 for the latter). Party in my pants is running a 15% off sale til the end of year.

Some of us don't use pads or tampons for various reasons. All the chemicals, fragrances, etc are not good for your body. On top of increasing cramping and flow (tampons make cramp REALLY bad...and as a teen I could not insert them, not till after I married *cough...sorry if TMI*), they also dry out your vaginal area, damaging the balance that is supposed to exist there. So not only is there myself to worry about, but there are also my daughters (aka, I wouldn't want them using, or trying to use, tampons).

Just like with cloth diapers, there are various kinds of mamapads. some are like pocket diapers, where you have an outer layer and then you stuff it how much you need for your current flow (light, heavy, etc). Some have a waterproof backing and some do not (some women have an issue with using anything synthetic, so they would not want the waterproof backing). Some are all in one's, whether with or without waterproof backing and come in various sizes, materials (cotton, bamboo, flannel...or a mix of outer and inner materials. Some will have one for the outer, different for the inner, and different again for the top), and different ways of attachment if at all (snaps, hook & loop, pinning, or not at all).

Edited by mommaduck

Once I tried nice flannel pads I knew I would never go back to anything internal or any processed paper product and all the irritation those cause me. The cloth pads are SO much more comfortable.

IMO they are not hard to take care of.

If I can use tampons without problems, can they still be bad for me?

IOW, can they be doing damage without me knowing? :confused:

The chemicals are not good for you. Holding blood up in you is not good for you. Just because you aren't experiencing symptoms doesn't change the fact that it still isn't good for your body.

They absorb more and feel dryer to me. Like disposables, some are better than others. I change disposable or reusable often.

And the questions are very reasonable. Heck, I remember feeling a pretty big gross out factor when I first read about them.

Edited by Tammyla

Really, the things I learn here --- and then the questions I end up asking!!!

So, I would think that the wet feeling next to my body would be uncomfortable. Do these item wick away moisture as well as the disposables?

Yes, but without drying out your vaginal area to the point of irritation and imbalance.

Popping back into this thread to say that I find the cloth pads so much more comfortable than the disposables (lots prettier too!). The adhesive on the disposables always ends up giving me a rash. I don't find the cloth hard to take care of either - I usually rinse in cold water right away and then wash with the normal laundry. My pads have held up very well - the Wemoon brand have lasted me for years - and very few have stained at all.

Honestly....you will LOVE them! I actually almost have no cramps when I use them. It is amazing!

OK, someone please explain to me the correlation between disposable pads and higher cramping or bleeding? I'm sure it rocks to be more comfy, which is one of the reasons I'm willing to try these (along with environmental benefits), but I'm curious why/how their use might actually change a woman's cycle itself?

For the poster with the DH that is icked out: you can get a moonpot; basically, a medium sized container to set behind or near the toilet, or under the sink, that has a lid and you keep some cold water in it. Just put the pad in there to soak till you wash. He doesn't have to see anything. For keeping pads, put them in a cut basket up on a shelf above the toilet...toss a handtowel over it if need be.

Dark fabrics may be better for staining, but lighter fabrics are better for absorbency as they have absorbed less dye. Same goes for towels in the bath...a cream coloured towel will absorb more than a dark brown or red towel.

OK I'm weird. I understand my dh may not see it... but I'm always thinking about bizarre things like, who will find it if I die in a freak accident during my cycle? :001_huh::lol: What will they think of me? :tongue_smilie: (I know, who cares! I'm dead!) :lol: But I DO think about stuff like that and I DO care for some weird reason. I want my kids and dh to remember me for who I was when I controlled it (BAH!), not to remember the weird stash of poon-juice they discovered with a supply of wretched fabric honey-pot-handlers, ya know?

I think my dh twisted me on this one. He found a pair of my stained monthly undies, you know, the fashionable granny ones LOL, and he was SO grossed out he actually recoiled in horror. I remember being all cool and turned it around on him by saying "dude, seriously, get over it. Try to find a normal woman out there who doesn't go through this! Pish!" And I flipped him the side-hand like he was completely off his rocker. But inside? Oh, inside I was horrified and could have just died right there!

Anyhow, I did buy a Diva Cup a few months ago and LOVE it. I've recently developed sensitivities or allergies (not sure which) to commercial sanitary products. My skin was pretty much raw and inflamed. So using a sensitive skin feminine wash (no more soap) and the Diva Cup have helped. But these cloth pads would be good for emergency back-up should the front line need reinforcement. Does anyone know of a good link for ultra thin ones with some sort of under-the-bridge fasteners?

Do any of you use some natural/light colored pads for if you're wearing light colored pants? I'm thinking that even though stains may show a bit, if I'm wearing my khaki pants to church I may not want bright purple pads...LOL!! (But otherwise, I do! hehe! ;) )

I found these: http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonbees I really like the looks of these.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Has anyone tried both the Homestead Emporium and Wemoon pads? Those are the ones I've narrowed it down to and I'd love it if someone (or several someones) could compare them.

What do you all use for your "moon pot"?

I got a small yellow trash can with the pop open lid and liner like you mentioned. It was clearanced for $5 at Wal-mart and was in the 'college' section of color coordinated dorm supplies. It's perfect.

ETA: I don't put water in mine though, I just put the dirty pads in there until my cycle is over and wash them all. I wouldn't like dealing with a bucket full of icky water. But then I don't mind if mine get a little bit stained either.

OK, someone please explain to me the correlation between disposable pads and higher cramping or bleeding? I'm sure it rocks to be more comfy, which is one of the reasons I'm willing to try these (along with environmental benefits), but I'm curious why/how their use might actually change a woman's cycle itself?

You know, I have looked and looked, and never found a medical explanation, but plenty of testimonies that all state the same. I'm guessing that no one has ever done a study.

Mine are all natural cotton in off white. The colored pattern ones look cool.

Do any of you use some natural/light colored pads for if you're wearing light colored pants? I'm thinking that even though stains may show a bit, if I'm wearing my khaki pants to church I may not want bright purple pads...LOL!! (But otherwise, I do! hehe! ;) )

I found these: http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonbees I really like the looks of these.

I think my dh twisted me on this one. He found a pair of my stained monthly undies, you know, the fashionable granny ones LOL, and he was SO grossed out he actually recoiled in horror. I remember being all cool and turned it around on him by saying "dude, seriously, get over it.

If my dh acted that way, I'd be like, "Dude, when you stop leaving me skid marks to wash, I'll try harder to remove stains made by my God-given bodily process."

I'm still chicken of the DIVA, but the pads don't gross me out. I do wash them daily and keep them in a draw string bag, that no one but me touches. I guess you could tag a container...Icky, gross don't look just toss:D.

OK I'm weird. I understand my dh may not see it... but I'm always thinking about bizarre things like, who will find it if I die in a freak accident during my cycle? :001_huh::lol: What will they think of me? :tongue_smilie: (I know, who cares! I'm dead!) :lol: But I DO think about stuff like that and I DO care for some weird reason. I want my kids and dh to remember me for who I was when I controlled it (BAH!), not to remember the weird stash of poon-juice they discovered with a supply of wretched fabric honey-pot-handlers, ya know?

I think my dh twisted me on this one. He found a pair of my stained monthly undies, you know, the fashionable granny ones LOL, and he was SO grossed out he actually recoiled in horror. I remember being all cool and turned it around on him by saying "dude, seriously, get over it. Try to find a normal woman out there who doesn't go through this! Pish!" And I flipped him the side-hand like he was completely off his rocker. But inside? Oh, inside I was horrified and could have just died right there!

Anyhow, I did buy a Diva Cup a few months ago and LOVE it. I've recently developed sensitivities or allergies (not sure which) to commercial sanitary products. My skin was pretty much raw and inflamed. So using a sensitive skin feminine wash (no more soap) and the Diva Cup have helped. But these cloth pads would be good for emergency back-up should the front line need reinforcement. Does anyone know of a good link for ultra thin ones with some sort of under-the-bridge fasteners?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
If my dh acted that way, I'd be like, "Dude, when you stop leaving me skid marks to wash, I'll try harder to remove stains made by my God-given bodily process."

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I haven't ever used cloth pads, but I started using a Diva Cup several years ago and love it. I always found tampons to be very drying at the beginning and end of my cycle when flow was lighter. With the Diva Cup, I can put it in the day my cycle is expected and wear it through the end with no discomfort at all. I may have to check out these cloth pads - I do need to wear a back up pad on my heaviest days. Thanks for all the info, ladies!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I placed my order and can't wait for it to arrive:001_smile: Does it mean I'm weird if I can't wait for my period so I can try them out:blush::lol: At least I can try the panty liners:D Merry Christmas to me! Deck the clothes line with panty liners, fa la la la la la la la la:lol::lol: I think my teenage boys will be :001_huh: on wash day but I'm:001_smile:

I placed my order and can't wait for it to arrive:001_smile: Does it mean I'm weird if I can't wait for my period so I can try them out:blush::lol:

I couldn't wait when I bought mine either! LOL

Having pretties really did change my outlook on the whole period thing. It changed it from "so gross, throw it away" to "what a beautiful process that gave me my babies" I looked forward to choosing the pad that fit my mood at the time. Ok, so I am a little hippie-ish. :D

Enjoy!:lol:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Having pretties really did change my outlook on the whole period thing. It changed it from "so gross, throw it away" to "what a beautiful process that gave me my babies" I looked forward to choosing the pad that fit my mood at the time. Ok, so I am a little hippie-ish. :D

Thanks:001_smile: I just noticed we are both in SoCal. We're in the Inland Empire.

:iagree: And making them opened the talk with my oldest girl. We eliminated "the curse" part, though admittedly that it's not pleasant, and went to the "this is the way we were designed". I've been lazy and the sewing machine is in need of repair. I need to get her a stash made.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
:iagree: And making them opened the talk with my oldest girl. We eliminated "the curse" part, though admittedly that it's not pleasant, and went to the "this is the way we were designed". I've been lazy and the sewing machine is in need of repair. I need to get her a stash made.

Do you mind sharing what you use to make yours?

Do you mind sharing what you use to make yours?

I've used a cotton flannel for mine in the past. A friend sent me a bamboo (sherpa?)/flannel one and I like that as well. I use snaps for the closures. I've also made, for the insertable ones, a waterproof layer out of a quilted, waterproof cribsheet I bought just for the material. I just layer it under the absorbent layers.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I've used a cotton flannel for mine in the past. A friend sent me a bamboo (sherpa?)/flannel one and I like that as well. I use snaps for the closures. I've also made, for the insertable ones, a waterproof layer out of a quilted, waterproof cribsheet I bought just for the material. I just layer it under the absorbent layers.

Thanks! The ones I ordered are made of bamboo velour, which intrigued me. I want to try them and if I get brave may buy some bamboo velour. What do you use for the inside? I have lots of cotton Warm-N-Natural batting. ETA that I can't use the plastic so I was looking at something more breathable. The ones I ordered have WindPro fleece on the back.

Thanks! The ones I ordered are made of bamboo velour, which intrigued me. I want to try them and if I get brave may buy some bamboo velour. What do you use for the inside? I have lots of cotton Warm-N-Natural batting. ETA that I can't use the plastic so I was looking at something more breathable. The ones I ordered have WindPro fleece on the back.

Personally, I've not known anyone to use batting. I'd be afraid of it falling apart inside (balling up) with all the use (but again, speaking as one that has not tried it). I just used multiple layers of flannel. I've also used layers of birdseye (diaper cloth).

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Personally, I've not known anyone to use batting. I'd be afraid of it falling apart inside (balling up) with all the use (but again, speaking as one that has not tried it). I just used multiple layers of flannel. I've also used layers of birdseye (diaper cloth).

Warm-N-Natural is different from regular batting. It looks like fleece and doesn't bunch like regular batting. Sorry, I used to work in a fabric store and just assume people know what I'm talking about.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Oh, my dream job! I know most materials, but didn't know that one!

LOL. It's been a long time (late 80's) but it was fun, and I loved the discount. I used to use Warm & Natural a lot when I made baby blankets because it doesn't bunch, really more like sewing with fleece than batting.