Menu

Need feminine pad recommendation please

Personally, I've not known anyone to use batting. I'd be afraid of it falling apart inside (balling up) with all the use (but again, speaking as one that has not tried it). I just used multiple layers of flannel. I've also used layers of birdseye (diaper cloth).

I have used Warm-and-Natural batting and it's worked just fine. It hasn't balled up or moved out of place or anything. It does shrink a bit, but that makes the channels "puffier" which is a look I like - kinda like vintage quilts, if you know what I mean.

Sometimes I'll cut up an old towel and use that as the top inside layer. (So flannel on the outside top, then one layer of towel (for wicking, is my theory), then several W-n-N layers, then flannel.) I've used anywhere from one to 4 layers of W-n-N.

W-n-N is also super-easy to cut with a rotary cutter.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. It's been a long time (late 80's) but it was fun, and I loved the discount. I used to use Warm & Natural a lot when I made baby blankets because it doesn't bunch, really more like sewing with fleece than batting.

ah! I mostly did clothing, accessories, diapers, bags, slings, and both mama and nursing pads. Blankets and such were a bit out of my range.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
ah! I mostly did clothing, accessories, diapers, bags, slings, and both mama and nursing pads. Blankets and such were a bit out of my range.

I think I've done most every type of sewing and even have a fancy embroidery sewing machine. Alas, now what I don't have is time:001_huh::lol:

Here is a picture of my last project, done 2 years ago right before my youngest came home. It's a blanket with words embroidered in English and Korean. His name (in English and Korean) is on the corner that is folded up.

100_7388_edited-1.jpg

100_7393_edited-1.jpg

Sorry to go OT!

I think I've done most every type of sewing and even have a fancy embroidery sewing machine. Alas, now what I don't have is time:001_huh::lol:

Here is a picture of my last project, done 2 years ago right before my youngest came home. It's a blanket with words embroidered in English and Korean. His name (in English and Korean) is on the corner that is folded up.

100_7388_edited-1.jpg

100_7393_edited-1.jpg

Sorry to go OT!

That is adorable!

I really need to get out my machine and make some things.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Beautiful! I hear you about time! That's why I've neglected my machine.

Thanks:001_smile: Hmmm, we're doing Home Ec this year, maybe I'll have my boys sew me up some cloth pads:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

100_7388_edited-1.jpg

100_7393_edited-1.jpg

Sorry to go OT!

Cheryl, that is simply stunning, and oh so precious!

I use snaps for the closures. I've also made, for the insertable ones, a waterproof layer out of a quilted, waterproof cribsheet I bought just for the material. I just layer it under the absorbent layers.

Do you use regular snaps or do you use the poly-resin snaps? If you use the poly-resin ones, where do you get them and where did you get the snap press (or whatever that tool is called that you use for the resin snaps)?

Do you use regular snaps or do you use the poly-resin snaps? If you use the poly-resin ones, where do you get them and where did you get the snap press (or whatever that tool is called that you use for the resin snaps)?

I used regular till I could get a snap press. I don't remember the name of the person I ordered through.

Could these be washed on hot? I'm a hot for undies and towels person and so I can't see doing these on cold or even warm water. Would hot water ruin them--say if I threw them in with towels? I think I've developed a sensitivity to the disposables so I'm willing to try this but I don't think I could do cold washes and not be icked out.

Could these be washed on hot? I'm a hot for undies and towels person and so I can't see doing these on cold or even warm water. Would hot water ruin them--say if I threw them in with towels? I think I've developed a sensitivity to the disposables so I'm willing to try this but I don't think I could do cold washes and not be icked out.

Mine have a nylon backing, so hot water would damage that.

Cold water will remove stains. Some fabrics don't hold up to hot. It depends on what you buy. If you buy fabric that can hold up to it, then do a cold followed by hot wash?

I have used regular metal ones. I use the short metal tool that comes with them (and a hammer), rather than the pliers. The pliers just don't do as good a job, as the pressure isn't applied evenly to the whole snap like it is with the hammer method.

My metal snaps have held up fine with no rust problems or anything like that. The plastic ones are nice but I've never felt the need to invest in the tool required when the metal ones are so easy to get and so easy to apply with the hammer+cheap-tool method.

I'd love to try reusable pads too.

How many do you need to buy? I want to start using these.

I would start with a few of the thinner ones, so you can try them out on lighter days to get the hang of things and get a sense of what style you like. After that, it depends on whether you will wash during your cycle or try to buy/sew enough to last the whole time. Most of the larger sellers have some guidance about it, but many suggest you start with a few as different people like different kinds.

I would start with a few of the thinner ones, so you can try them out on lighter days to get the hang of things and get a sense of what style you like. After that, it depends on whether you will wash during your cycle or try to buy/sew enough to last the whole time. Most of the larger sellers have some guidance about it, but many suggest you start with a few as different people like different kinds.

I am thinking of buying a set of this. What do you think? Maybe I need two sets? Thanks!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/64048702/set-of-4-75-inch-cotton-pantyliners-with

I have tried several brands. My favorite brand is Saucy Tots.

http://www.saucytots.com/catalog.php?category=49

Their mini pads were more absorbent than the maxi pads from other places.

Here's a link to the starter packages, so you can try an assortment of sizes/styles:

http://www.saucytots.com/catalog.php?item=274&ret=index.php

I've made my own. My pattern is here:

http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/crafts/pads/pads.html

I used an old flannel shirt, an old towel, some warm-n-natural, and some snaps. (I have been using old textiles in my work ever since I was inspired by some WWII museum exhibits on a trip to Paris. An exhibit at the Design Museum in London was also inspirational.) I've bought some water-resistant fabric from The Green Pepper, but I used it to make a lunchbox/bag instead. Using it in pads is on my to-do list. The Green Pepper has really interesting technical fabrics and all the associated hardware, and they are nice to deal with. The Rain Shed is another similar place.

I have tried several brands. My favorite brand is Saucy Tots.

http://www.saucytots.com/catalog.php?category=49

Their mini pads were more absorbent than the maxi pads from other places.

Here's a link to the starter packages, so you can try an assortment of sizes/styles:

http://www.saucytots.com/catalog.php?item=274&ret=index.php

Thank you, Angie, for the info. I like what I saw and just ordered a starter package.

Look what WTM did to me! More money out of my pockets! But I am so excited to try this! I hate those disposable pads. I tried DIVA cup and it caused my hemoriod to flare up so bad that I only used it for two days and out of the window flew my $35! I am looking forward to this set and I believe this will be a keeper.

I am looking forward to this set and I believe this will be a keeper.

The nice thing is that it isn't an "all or nothing" proposition. You can use cloth when it's the best choice, and disposable if there are situations that call for it. However much you use disposables, cloth can be part of your array of choices. Light days, just in case days, tampon or Diva cup back-up, during exercise (no bunching!) - most people will find cloth useful in these situations. I was amazed at how many fewer disposables I use even though I still use them some of the time.

I've *heard* of "reusable cloth pads" before, but never known anyone IRL who used them. Truthfully, the idea kinda grosses me out - I mean, it's blood (shudder). And worse - it's menstrual blood. (YUCK!) :laugh:

I'm curious though - how do you get these things CLEAN? Blood stains stuff. Do they not feel kind of. . . icky? . . . or anything? It's been YEARS since I even used a normal pad - I'm a tampons-only girl. (I have a very light & short flow; I wear 'slender' tampons in the day & at night for a couple of days.)

Does anyone make their own? I am looking for which fabrics I would need, and a good place to purchase on-line. I'm thinking it would be more economical to make them, and I found a pattern that seems really easy to try.

Advice for shops/fabrics, please?

Here's the pattern:

http://sites.google.com/site/shewhorunsintheforest/home

I make my own- I don't have a serger so they are not as pretty as some of the ones you can buy but they are functional. I traced the shape of the disposables I preferred to use, and that is my pattern. I just use plain flannel for the absorbent layers- I used nylon as the backing for some but it's just not truly waterproof so I've just ordered some PUL from Joann's online- they don't have it in the stores here.

I've had the Luna Panties before and they use rick rack (sp?) to hold the liners in place in the panties, and on the pads you can use extra liners too. I think I'm going to make some panty liners with rick rack to hold another layer in place- that way on light days you can just change the top layer of the liner and it's easy and uses less fabric to make the extra liner layers.

I've *heard* of "reusable cloth pads" before, but never known anyone IRL who used them. Truthfully, the idea kinda grosses me out - I mean, it's blood (shudder). And worse - it's menstrual blood. (YUCK!) :laugh:

I'm curious though - how do you get these things CLEAN? Blood stains stuff. Do they not feel kind of. . . icky? . . . or anything? It's been YEARS since I even used a normal pad - I'm a tampons-only girl. (I have a very light & short flow; I wear 'slender' tampons in the day & at night for a couple of days.)

I spray mine with Bac-out which takes out most of the stain, and then they get washed all together. I use them as back-up for my Keeper cup, so they aren't the first line of defense either, usually. But I love using it--WAY softer and comfier than tampons or ordinary pads. I was grossed out by the idea at first, but really, it's so much cleaner than you think. :D

We all have period leaks and leaks or messes no matter what we use, I had to get over it. I've got a teen, sheets, panties, jammies and other things that suffer leaks.

If it's too gross, don't worry yourself over it. Use what you like....Oh, yes...

And Have A Happy Period

I spray mine with Bac-out which takes out most of the stain, and then they get washed all together. I use them as back-up for my Keeper cup, so they aren't the first line of defense either, usually. But I love using it--WAY softer and comfier than tampons or ordinary pads. I was grossed out by the idea at first, but really, it's so much cleaner than you think. :D

Several of us have mentioned that we wash on cold, then on warm/hot; most stains come out, but even if they don't the fabric is clean - just a different color. If for some reason a pad doesn't come clean, you can just throw it in the next load and wash it again. (Most of us seem to be doing wash all the time anyway LOL.) If you have a very light flow, you might find cloth more convenient/comfortable than tampons - or not, they're not to everyone's taste. But it does seem to be one of those things that people think they won't like, until they've actually tried them.

Wow. I had thought about looking for something like this, but I had no idea it was so popular and widely available!

It took me 2 days to sit here and read every post, but I'm glad I did. You ladies are awesome! I will be trying this as soon as I can get some. I cannot sew at all, so I'm glad there are mamas out there that sell these.

Some of us don't use pads or tampons for various reasons. All the chemicals, fragrances, etc are not good for your body. On top of increasing cramping and flow (tampons make cramp REALLY bad...and as a teen I could not insert them, not till after I married *cough...sorry if TMI*), they also dry out your vaginal area, damaging the balance that is supposed to exist there. So not only is there myself to worry about, but there are also my daughters (aka, I wouldn't want them using, or trying to use, tampons).

Just like with cloth diapers, there are various kinds of mamapads. some are like pocket diapers, where you have an outer layer and then you stuff it how much you need for your current flow (light, heavy, etc). Some have a waterproof backing and some do not (some women have an issue with using anything synthetic, so they would not want the waterproof backing). Some are all in one's, whether with or without waterproof backing and come in various sizes, materials (cotton, bamboo, flannel...or a mix of outer and inner materials. Some will have one for the outer, different for the inner, and different again for the top), and different ways of attachment if at all (snaps, hook & loop, pinning, or not at all).

I had no idea that tampons were so bad. I used to use them and loved them. But they did make me cramp when I don't normally cramp much. And they did seem to dry me out, too. I found myself starting out with pads and then using tampons, and then I just went back to all pads, all the time.

I can't wait to get some of these reuseable pads to try out

One more thought...I don't think many of us advertise what type of product we're using, so you may know more women using cloth than you realize. You can't really tell what someone is wearing, unless they happen to mention it.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Me, three! OC Mom is left over from when we lived in Yorba Linda...I guess I could've asked to change it to "RC Mom" or "IE Mom" but they don't have the same ring. :)

Where in RC are you? I'm in SW RC:001_smile:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I guess it was too much to hope we were neighbors - Riverside County is HUGE! Sending you a PM.

Oops, your PM box is full.

Oops! I just cleared some space:001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Just resurrecting this thread to say I can't believe how much I LOVE cloth!!!!! I SOOOOO wish I knew about it eons ago! I also LOVE the quality of the cloth pads I've bought from Homestead Emporium, and I'm very difficult to please as I used to be an expert seamstress (before I started homeschooling). They are darn cute too! My dd wanted to buy me an iPod for Christmas but I talked him into buying me a custom order of cloth liners/pads. He was happy to oblige but said he's not sure what he's going to tell people if they ask what he got me for Christmas:lol::lol:

As a teen I remember thinking how lucky I was to live in a time when we could buy disposable "lady things." My dd's will be much better educated than I was;):D