Menu

Does Anyone Only Use One Math Program?

TheAutumnOak

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I used to do just one. It wasn't that it wasn't successful (it was), it was that I wanted my children exposed to different ways of doing things and to fill in weaknesses (all math programs have their strengths and weaknesses. With all my kids my main math program is Math U See (which I LOVE). With my dd who is in 1st grade I add the Blue Series of Math Mammoth and with my high school children (if you can call kids that are taller than you children:lol:) I add Life of Fred. When Life of Fred comes out with it's elementary series I'll also use that with my dd. I LOVE LoF because it's more application than I've seen with any other program and it's FUN! It's also not overwhelming because there aren't lots and lots of problems to do.

I am using just one program with my younger student (MEP). My oldest did RS B by itself but then I did find she needed additional word problem practice so I added in Singapore CWP once she hit C.

She's now doing mostly Singapore; however I do need to supplement in places with the MM single-topic "blue" worktexts. Maria Miller does a much better job walking the student through the concepts step-by-step-by-step without making all the conceptual leaps that SM does. I thought about switching to MM as DD's "spine" but I really love the CWP and IP books in Singapore. So I decided to keep SM as the "spine" and just supplement where needed with MM.

Kids are so individual that it's hard to find the "perfect" math program.

Most math programs will be enough by themselves.

I found myself with a ds who is very mathy, but has difficulty reading busy pages...so I'm trying to accommodate a child who does math mentally with ease, applies it to real life naturally, understands new concepts with little nudging by me *but* truly struggles with the typical layout of a math workbook b/c of the reading involved.

My favorite math for him is Miquon and I don't feel that it's enough by itself and yet I can't let it go. So, I start from Miquon and fill in the gaps as I see them. (Singapore Challenging Word Problems done orally and games to gain fluency with mental computations)

For my dd who is an early reader and *hearts* workbooks, I'm going to try Math Mammoth and add Miquon as a side dish.

I am using just one math program and I think it is enough but........my dd loves workbooks and asks for fun math (math done outside of school time) so I give her what she wants. :tongue_smilie: We are going to have to add in Life of Fred when dd get older because it looks like soooo much fun. I think most programs are complete on their own. I would start with your chosen program and only add to it if you think there is a need/want at some point.

I am going to use Math Mammoth and started to wonder if it would be enough since I noticed that most use more than one...We are going to start with only that...

We will only be using MM too. I think it will be fine. It's seems pretty thorough and focuses on mastery of a topic before moving on to the next. I'm very excited that we found it and can't wait to start using it ! I used just Saxon with my dd, then Lial's for pre-algebra and she did just fine. I think if we had added more math it would have been overkill. Good luck!!

I think MM is perfect to start with! That is what we use too and it is enough on its own. However I want ds to get used to different styles of thinking so I do use a few other workbook type thinks especially as he is learning math facts etc.

I would start with MM and go from there, I wouldn't start with several. One of the nice things about the downloadable MM is that you can always print previously worked pages again for review and they do have extra tests and worksheets included in the other files that come with the main program.

Stephanie

We use Singapore through 5B and have then switched over for the upper grades. For 6+ it used to be Saxon, but now we use Life of Fred. We supplement with fact drills in grades 1-4 and with the Key to series for fractions, decimals, percents in grades 5-6. If a child is having difficulty with a concept in Algebra or Geometry I'll pull from a supplemental text as needed. Our go to lately for Algebra II has been a Larson text. But we only use one complete curriculum.

I had decided on a math program, but only one...I see that many use more than one...

Why do you use more than one?...Does anyone just use one with success?

A few years ago I looked at my life and realized there was only so much I can do and do well. I am very careful to ensure we only use 1 curriculum for any given subject, and math is no exception. Saxon is my poison of choice. ;) We use it to the best of our abilities and don't skip steps, especially as it's the only math curriculum we use. Also, dh and I both discuss 'real world usage' with the children... finances, shopping, construction, etc. I also leave puzzle books around the house for the children to amuse themselves with at other times. Personally, I believe puzzles do more for teaching a child to think outside the box than any regular math program. :D

I use Math Mammoth as my only math program with DD8. I think it's very complete and there really aren't any "weaknesses" I feel need supplementing. DS12 did LoF for fun, in addition to MM, but that's because he loves LoF not because I felt MM needed anything else. We've also tried several other programs (including MUS, TT, and KB) while waiting for MM6a and 6b to be released, and I haven't found anything in those programs that MM doesn't do better (IMO). I'm thrilled that MM6b is supposed to be released in the next few days, because I've wanted him to finish MM before we start algebra.

Jackie

I only use Singapore with my 3rd grader. We use Standards edition with IP and CWP books on level. If it isn't broken. When it comes down to it, K-4 is arithmetic and any solid program should be fine. Especially if the teacher is competent.

I used some MEP in first grade and we've played a few of the Rightstart card games for facts practice. We also do all kinds of other things for fact practice, but not for teaching the concepts themselves.

I do plan to use Hands-on Equations, but I consider that a fun supplement, not a separate curriculum.

For my 7 year old, I use Singapore because it seems to me it gives more depth, and lots of mental math which my son excels at. I also use A Beka with him because I think it gives him more breadth and also just to give him a little break. He does well with the Sinapore, but after a while I can see him getting a little tired of it, so we do A Beka for 3-4 weeks and then go back to Singapore. It's really worked out great for him. My 6 year old is only doing A Beka. He's not a really mathy person. I may start him on some Singapore next year, I may not. He's doing well with A Beka.

I only use SM, with the EP and IP. I have a couple MM books, but have never used them....when kiddo is stuck, I pull it out, he howls about "another book", buckles down, and "gets" the concept. It is becoming a rolling joke. I get it out of the drawer and wave my MM about. I just bought fractions, so I'll be ready to wave it about.

Edited by kalanamak

I only use SM, with the EP and IP. I have a couple MM books, but have never used them....when kiddo is stuck, I pull it out, he howls about "another book", buckles down, and "gets" the concept. It is becoming a rolling joke. I get it out of the drawer and wave my MM about. I just fractions, so I'll be ready to wave it about.

Do you have my child? :lol:

I bought MM for borrowing and carrying with the same effect. Now I am considering buying MM for 2 digit multiplication.

I am hoping not to have to buy fractions, fractions went over well last year, and this year's fractions do not look too much harder.

It is kind of crazy to buy something knowing you will most likely not use it, though!

I only ever used one at a time. Trying to figure out how to coordinate one with another would have made me a crazy person. And it isn't efficient, either.

What she said. We do have LoF, Wrap-Ups, games and other fun supplemental stuff around, but I don't attempt coordinating them with my kids' main curricula. They'll get them out on their own accord.

I do have one kid who isn't content with just one math book. She usually ends up working in three different books in any given week. However she doesn't mind spending the time to work out any coordinating kinks.

I really should, but I don't :eek:

I was a one math curriculum for years. Then, I read about Life of Fred and fell in love. My son also fell in love. We bought it!:001_rolleyes:

So now, my older son does New Elementary Math and Challenging Word Problems and Life of Fred.

I only went to Life of Fred last year with Decimals. So, I have two programs. Just so you know both New Elementary Math and Challenging Word Problems are from Singapore Math.

So, for years I was a one math program person! I only went to two after falling in love with Life of Fred. I will probably go back to one.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I was one of those people who asked this on the boards a while back, thinking how on earth people actually pulled it off, well here I am just a few years later and I'm sort of using two. I use Moving With Math as my main program, and I supplement with worksheets from Mastering Mathematics.

For us, one program would be ideal, but right now the needs of my son dictate two programs as he is about a year to two behind grade level. Maybe eventually we will mesh it out to only one, but for now, two is fitting the bill and it isn't any more work than I thought it would be. :lol:

Dee :tongue_smilie:

I planned and expected to use two, but at the moment I'm actually only using one -- and it's not either of the two I'd most wanted to use.

We're using Math Mammoth Blue, which suits my teaching style better than Light Blue at this age. If we stick with Math Mammoth as our main curriculum, I may eventually buy the Light Blue materials, but I don't have any need for cumulative reviews or tests right now.

I'm hoping to include work from Miquon and/or MEP again in the future. So I'm a multiple math programs wannabe.

You're in your own category when it comes to math :D Is there any secular program that you HAVEN'T tried?

Is SAXON secular? :D

I've also never used Math Mammoth, although from reputation and the previews it looks like another outstanding option. But my plate is full.

Bill

Guest Dulcimeramy

I used to think that these people were crazy. I thought that one curric., used well, was more than enough and some people must just have too much free time.

Well, I've joined 'em. I like to use one mastery and one spiral program, but my dc don't all use the same combinations.

I like the mastery program to be solid, old-fashioned torture (Ray's, R&S, Saxon), to really get those facts in the brain. I like the spiral program to be colorful and/or fun (MEP, Horizons, Singapore) so that the boys have a sense of enjoying math and a sense of applying those facts that were so hard to learn.

I always thought that using two curriculums would make my boys hate math, even if they got better at it. I suspected that the extra 30-45 minutes per day would make them shut down and refuse to concentrate on any math.

I was wrong.

They now love math, and they are all much better at it. They've all improved so much.

But Bill, you'd have to get past the name.

(Remember that thread from last Spring? The name bugged me too, but I caved. And I love it!! :))

I do remember :lol:

I even decided to re-christen the program "Finnish Math." A name I think works on several levels :tongue_smilie:

Bill

I even decided to re-christen the program "Finnish Math." A name I think works on several levels :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

Finnish Math would have been a much better choice! I think the curriculum probably would have been taken more seriously if it didn't have such a silly name.

OTOH I think the fact that the name was so clearly not chosen with marketing in mind is sort of charming, because it reflects that this "business" is really just one person, who happens to be passionate about math and really gifted at teaching it, rather than a corporation. If you have a question about a lesson or a problem, you can immediately email the author — and usually get a response within hours. Life of Fred is the same way: silly name, fabulous program, written by a truly gifted teacher who loves his subject and who is very accessible and generous with his time and expertise. The world needs more quirky people who love what they do and want to share it with the world — silly names and all. :)

Jackie

Finnish Math would have been a much better choice! I think the curriculum probably would have been taken more seriously if it didn't have such a silly name.

OTOH I think the fact that the name was so clearly not chosen with marketing in mind is sort of charming, because it reflects that this "business" is really just one person, who happens to be passionate about math and really gifted at teaching it, rather than a corporation. If you have a question about a lesson or a problem, you can immediately email the author — and usually get a response within hours. Life of Fred is the same way: silly name, fabulous program, written by a truly gifted teacher who loves his subject and who is very accessible and generous with his time and expertise. The world needs more quirky people who love what they do and want to share it with the world — silly names and all. :)

Jackie

You have done a great deal to make people see the value of this math program. I commend you for that. Maria Miller does seem to have a gift for both explanation and for following up with well demonstrated exercises and problems to build on the topics.

I have very much liked what I've seen in her sample pages, and almost ordered ordered a printed set recently (like I need another math program) before I realized they were not in color. We have a b/w laser, which has been fine for MEP, but ideally I'd prefer color. Maybe not a big deal.

I also realize that while *I* like juggling multiple books, as in Singapore where there are 4 or 5 separate books (depending how you count it) and juggling multiple additional math programs on top of that, that not everyone finds this sort of thing fun, or practical (or sane :D).

So the straight-forwardness and clarity of MM seems like a huge boon for the home education market. It seems like there are a great many people who might feel intimidated (rightly or wrongly) with Singapore, who might otherwise pick something like CLE, but could get both the simplified teach-it-in-the-text organization of something like CLE along with the whole-parts math approach of Singapore math. That fills a pretty important niche.

It is easy to be shallow, and get stuck on the name (as me how I know :tongue_smilie:). But I think you are on to something. And I am very glad you became an advocate for MM on this forum as I'm sure many children will benefit as a result.

Bill

You have done a great deal to make people see the value of this math program. I commend you for that. Maria Miller does seem to have a gift for both explanation and for following up with well demonstrated exercises and problems to build on the topics.

Bill

OTOH I think the fact that the name was so clearly not chosen with marketing in mind is sort of charming, because it reflects that this "business" is really just one person, who happens to be passionate about math and really gifted at teaching it, rather than a corporation.

Jackie

:iagree: That is what I love about MM and Maria. She's so authentic and simply wants to share her passion for math.

Thank you, Jackie, for introducing us to her.

Thanks everyone...I bought the download for Math Mammoth last night and we will see how it goes...I haven't looked through all of it yet...I bought the light blue series for my middle son and some of the blue series for my oldest...Once I know he is on grade level, I will buy the light blue series for his grade...

Thanks everyone...I bought the download for Math Mammoth last night and we will see how it goes...I haven't looked through all of it yet...I bought the light blue series for my middle son and some of the blue series for my oldest...Once I know he is on grade level, I will buy the light blue series for his grade...

Sounds like a very wise decision.

Maria Miller's explanations of "whole-parts" mathematics have been outstanding in all the samples I've seen (and that is the consensus opinion of MM users).

If you don't mind one bit of advice, take your time to get caught up. Have your son "explain" what he is doing as much as you are able. Ask leading questions when you need to, teach directly when you need to, but if you can patiently find time where he (sort of speak) "teaches" you or at least talks you through his strategies and reasoning in his problem solving, then this style of math really pays off.

So focus on the means, the strategies, the understanding of how math works (all of which are in the MM materials) rather than just getting the right answers as quickly as possible. It is a slower and more parent involved way of doing things, but long term benefits will show. And when children really understand what they are doing they tend to love the subject.

Enjoy, and best wishes!

Bill

I do remember :lol:

Bill

But I thought I read somewhere on the website that she chose the name "mammoth" to mean big, not as a reference to the wooly mammoth.

I think it's sort of funny, myself. But I also tend to call MEP "mep" rather than "M-E-P," which is pretty ugly.

But I thought I read somewhere on the website that she chose the name "mammoth" to mean big, not as a reference to the wooly mammoth.

How do you explain the wooly mammoth on the front cover? :D

I think it's sort of funny, myself. But I also tend to call MEP "mep" rather than "M-E-P," which is pretty ugly.

I call it mep too. But I know it is short-hand for "The Mathematics Enhancement Programme" from the Centre of Innovation in Mathematics Teaching. To me the extra "-me" in Programme alone is worth the price of admission. Which is free :D

Bill

I also realize that while *I* like juggling multiple books, as in Singapore where there are 4 or 5 separate books (depending how you count it) and juggling multiple additional math programs on top of that, that not everyone finds this sort of thing fun, or practical (or sane :D).

So the straight-forwardness and clarity of MM seems like a huge boon for the home education market.

Oh, I find the juggling fun and it wards off boredom for both ds7 and me.:001_smile:

MM fits a need though...when I realize I'm juggling 3 dc between the ages of 4 and 7....and next year they will be Kindy, 1st grade and 3rd grade. :eek::blink::svengo: Imagine juggling Miquon, MEP, SM and RS games with 3 dc. It's just not going to happen if my dc are also going to get other subjects like writing and grammar and science and history and languages.

My dd5 is an independent little thing and a good reader. I'm going to have MM be her main math and schedule in 2-3 Miquon sessions per week. I'm hoping I can do the same for my ds4 when he's ready.

MEP and MM are the best math currics available to elementary ages that I've seen...if one is looking for ONE SIMPLE math curric to stick to. (and I've seen a few...even SAXON:tongue_smilie:) I've wrestled with the idea of combining my 4yo and 5yo in MEP or MM for both at their own level with afternoons of combined Miquon a few times per week. ds7 still struggles with his reading (I suspect I need to pursue vision therapy further.) and so he still needs much of his math to be done orally which eats up lots of time in our HS schedule.

...and I thought motherhood was supposed to get easier when they were all 3 out of diapers...:001_huh::lol:

Nope, she chose it because of the wooly mammoth:

Well, folks, you might be in for a surprise, but when I was thinking what to name my math program.... You know, first of all, English isn't my native language. Secondly, I'm not super creative when it comes to naming math programs.

I chose "mammoth" because it sort of rhymes with "math". I thought people would be able to REMEMBER it easily! You know, let's say a person stumbles on my website, and days later they try to remember what was it called? Maybe, just maybe, the woolly animal would have made a connection, even if an amusing one, in their mind.

So there you have it. There are no hidden implications. It's not ancient math, nor "humongous" in any sense.

http://homeschoolmath.blogspot.com/2008/12/whats-in-name-math-mammoth.html

Jackie