Menu

Do you think gluten is being blamed for everything under the sun?

Just pondering after doing some reading. I'm not completely dismissing the idea of gluten intolerance/allergies, but it seems like it is offered as the magic cure for so many things right now. Surely it can't be the answer to every health issue??? Can it??? What do you think?

Shannon - who really doesn't want to give up wheat products:tongue_smilie:

People who have celiac manifest multiple varied symptoms : neuorological (siezures, ADD, brain fog, more), gastro (gas, diarhea, general upset, constipation), poor absorption leading to iron and vitamin deficiencies and conditions related to such, dermatological. In my family the symptoms have run the gamut.

So, yes in many cases gluten is being blamed for everything under the sun, but that blame is earned.

It probably does cause a great number of issues for people who are intolerant. However, it is believed that only a tiny percentage of people are celiac (though more people than test positive) and that it's only several percentage for intolerances.

So if you are one of the 7% or so of people with intolerance? Yes, it can cause many different symptoms. If you're not, then it probably won't hurt you to go gluten free but....

My daughter has been GF for a few months and honestly believes it's made a difference. She's cited certain things she can do now that she couldn't before.

I can't go GF long enough to even guess if it'd help me.

Yes, I do think gluten is being blamed for everything under the sun. In some cases it is well deserved.

In some cases I don't think it is the root cause but symptoms are alleviated by removing it from the diet.

If you are not suffering any ill effects then I don't think need to give up gluten (says the woman chowing down on some gluten right now.)

Personal opinion: I think it's processed foods in general and until we get back to natural food our bodies will continue to have issues.

:iagree:

Gluten is simply one component of many processed foods that is easy to identify, IMO. Giving up gluten will often result in giving up a lot of processed food!

However, it is believed that only a tiny percentage of people are celiac (though more people than test positive) and that it's only several percentage for intolerances.

1 out of 33 (~2.8 million) Americans is a pretty large number. Most people with Celiac have no idea that they even have it. It may seem like ((Gluten=evil)) is the fad of the moment, but to me it's just the tip of the iceberg, when it comes to our food supply, and how it's effecting us.

As the mother of two Celiac's, I'm more than happy that GF is in fashion! :lol:

Guest Dulcimeramy

:iagree: As the mother of four children with celiac disease, I'm with her.

I wish we were only working with a theory about gluten intolerance in our family, but we're not. It is actually celiac disease, proven by tests and verified by four doctors, and it is a hard way to live.

The more truly GF products on the market, the better. The more natural foods available, the better. If a GF fad advances those things, I'm for it.

I gave up gluten 2 years ago and feel so much better. But I don't think gluten is the main issue for all the food allergies/intolerances.

Personal opinion: I think it's processed foods in general and until we get back to natural food our bodies will continue to have issues.

:iagree: I think people are finally starting to see the connection between disease and the food they eat. Right now, genetically modified wheat (with 5x the gluten content of wheat 50 years ago) is in almost every food most Americans eat. I imagine a lot of people are having trouble digesting it.

I went gluten-free a year ago, and it really was the magic cure that solved all my problems - including a lot of emotional problems that I thought were "normal." I have since gone onto a digestive healing diet (SCD/GAPS) to try to regain a working digestive system and better improve my wellbeing.

This from a woman who grew up on Velveeta and Bologna and fought my husband tooth and nail when he suggested a gluten-free diet to help our ASD son (who also benefited tremendously from these changes). I now think food and poor diet is the cause of a great majority of the illnesses currently plaguing our generation.

Not to mention that there are many intolerant to gluten that do not come up at celiac. All five of us are gluten intolerant, and though it may be the health "fad" of the moment does not negate the fact that for many, many people around the world, going gluten free clears up many issues - not just physically (only two-fifths of us had any real gastro issues with gluten), but emotionally (depression, anxiety, etc.) and neurologically (add, spd, apraxia). When we went GF 3 1/2 years ago, ds#2 suddenly did not "have" Childhood Apraxia of Speech, was no long scared to death of water, could suddenly go down a slide without screaming, and could suddenly swing without intense fear.

Gluten being a cause of many health issues is not a fad; but cutting gluten is becoming a fad even for those that may not need it (though often people don't realize they had any problems until an offending food is cut and then it's suddenly a feeling of "Oh, I didn't know I could feel this way" - we get used to certain "ailments" just being there to the point of not even realizing they are there). It is a diet fad because cutting gluten, as another poster said, will cut tons of processed foods, which usually means cutting the weight.

But for the millions of people that are gluten intolerant, allergic to gluten, and celiac, gluten is not the scapegoat, nor is it a health fad. Going gluten free is a real thing that has solved many health problems for us. The same holds true for dairy free (it can be argued which causes more health issues - gluten or dairy), soy free, and corn free, not to mention what artificial ingredients can do to people's brains.

As a gluten free family, I too am glad GF is in fashion. :D

:iagree: As the mother of four children with celiac disease, I'm with her.

I wish we were only working with a theory about gluten intolerance in our family, but we're not. It is actually celiac disease, proven by tests and verified by four doctors, and it is a hard way to live.

The more truly GF products on the market, the better. The more natural foods available, the better. If a GF fad advances those things, I'm for it.

I agree - my son and I are both celiac, and trying to find something to eat that didn't either drain our bank account or taste like week-old cardboard used to be very, very difficult.

And if you're one of the millions of people with celiac, or any form of gluten intolerance or allergy, or in truth any sort of auto-immune disease that is affected by gluten...yes, that reputation for gluten being the cause of many evils is well-earned. The symptoms are all over the board, but believe me, they're not fun.

If you don't suffer from any sort of gluten intolerance, having gluten (or not having it) is not going to affect you in the least. If you do, though...it really is a big deal.

I have mixed feelings about this. I can't tolerate wheat, so I eat a pretty gluten free diet. But I see a LOT of people who assume gluten is the culprit when they live such stress-filled, chemical-laden lifestyles that I have no idea how they could ever pinpoint a single cause. It is certainly easy to try going GF for a month to see if it really does cure your symptoms.

I think it's just one of the foods worth investigating if one is having any sort of GI, behavioral, allergy/asthma, or immune function issue, among others. I've also read that those who are NOT gluten-intolerant should not avoid it, though, so it can be tricky.

Edited by Mejane

I have mixed feelings about this. I can't tolerate wheat, so I eat a pretty gluten free diet. But I see a LOT of people who assume gluten is the culprit when they live such stress-filled, chemical-laden lifestyles that I have no idea how they could ever pinpoint a single cause.

Yes! This is what I'm wondering about and seem to see a lot lately.

It is certainly easy to try going GF for a month to see if it really does cure your symptoms.

It seems like it would require a major effort, to me. We don't eat a ton of prepared and processed foods, but I do have my meal planning and grocery shopping very well organized. Going gluten free would require me to spend a lot of time restructuring and maybe extra trips to stores not close to my home. No more easy grocery list or using stock recipes that are second nature to me. Not that I'm not contemplating it.

I'm not sure who posted it, but I did not know that wheat today differed in gluten content from wheat of years ago. I do agree that there is a major cause for concern about what is being done to our food.

I do believe there are lots of people suffering from Celiac and gluten intolerance. I am so glad they are able to find relief.

I am thinking through this issue because of my fibromyalgia. Several friends insist there is no such thing--all fibro is really a gluten issue. Hummm, maybe, I'm not sure. They are advocating I try to go gluten free for a week and see if I am cured, or better. I am thinking it over, but I'd really prefer to have a diagnoses first. I am never able to tell if things are effecting my fibro, and there are just too many variables. I have weeks at a time where I have no symptoms, so if I happen to go gluten free that week it would seem like that is the answer when it is just coincidence.

I am pretty highly functioning. Most people probably have no idea there is anything wrong with me. I use no meds--my treatment is diet,exercise, supplements and lifestyle changes. I am so much better today than a year to two years ago, but I do have flares.

Also, wanted to clarify, I'm not suggesting there is no such thing as Celiac disease or gluten intolerance--just wondering if it is being a little too readily self diagnosed.

Shannon

Shannon,

I just want to comment on the fibromyalgia issue, as my father also has fibromyalgia. He went on a gluten-free diet with my mother last year, and it was *not* the magic cure-all for him. He is not sensitive to gluten like the rest of us in the family. In that way, I suppose you are right. It's not always the gluten. But *if* it is, it is worth checking out.

However, he stays gluten-free because of the benefits of a less processed diet. He has also found that many of his flare ups (including the 3 types of arthritis he has) may actually be an intolerance to nightshade plants (potatoes, tomatoes, etc). He has benefited greatly from those diet changes. He is about to start the GAPS diet to see if he is able to find more relief by cutting out all grains & sugars and introducing probiotic foods.

but I'd really prefer to have a diagnoses first. I am never able to tell if things are effecting my fibro, and there are just too many variables

I agree with this strategy. I also agree with your overall premise in your OP. While I believe there is celiac disease and I believe there are food intolerances and allergies, you can drive yourself out of your mind by trying food eliminations and "seeing if you feel better." I have gone that route with both myself and one of my children; I don't recommend it. As you said, there is constant second-guessing, i.e, "Well, I don't feel good today, but is it because I had a half a cracker at the office luncheon or for another reason?"

IME, it is better to be able to eat "normally" unless there truly is a medical reason not to.

(All said by someone who recently had to go dairy free and is having zero stomach issues now. But it took a Dr.'s strong recommendation for me to suffer ice cream withdraw and stop eating cheese! :tongue_smilie:)

IME, it is better to be able to eat "normally" unless there truly is a medical reason not to.

My only caution with this is that "normal" in current American society includes a lot of things that are really not normal, healthy, or good for a human body. There is a lot of miseducation out there (including the government still trying to convince us that "Corn Sugar" is perfectly safe). It's not. Our food makes us sick. Eating petroleum (many additives and colorings) is a bad idea. So I think that anytime someone starts taking a hard look at their diet as a cause of their sickness, it's a good idea.

"Let food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." -Hippocrates

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better since going dairy free! It took me well over a year to finally jump that hurdle too. :)

My husband told me about an article he had read recently. It mentioned that a large group of people who tested negative for celiac later tested positive for it (I think it was 10 years later). I'll try to link the article if I can.

If so, then that begs the question: why are healthy people developing a problem? Very interesting.

Amy,

I understand that, but what I mean is to be able to eat in all normal settings. Having a restricted diet is a major pain in social settings. To be sure, I'm not advocating eating Chef Boyardee for dinner and Egg McMuffins for breakfast. What I mean by eating "normally" is not cutting out entire categories of food unless you have a true medical reason to do so.

Other than that, I'm a huge fan of eating an abundance of fruits and veggies straight out of my backyard, organic garden; making homemade food nearly all the time, etc.

I really don't think eliminating wheat/gluten is all that difficult. I do have a slight advantage because I am fine with rye and barley. Basically, that means I can eat generic cornflakes that have malt extract, or accept a beer at a party. I make a soup or stew with barley maybe every 3 months. Being able to eat rye means I can eat the Ry-Krisp natural crackers that have no wheat. Aside from that, I eat like most folks with celiac. I refuse to buy specialty "gluten-free" versions of foods that usually contain wheat since it's not in my grocery budget. I might feel differently about this if I had a GF child who missed pretzels or cookies, but since I am an adult I feel like it's no big deal to substitute rice/corn/potatoes for wheat. If you focus on what you can eat rather than fixating on what you can no longer eat, meal planning becomes pretty simple. I just don't think it's actually more difficult or expensive than eating wheat, at least in my experience.

I am thinking through this issue because of my fibromyalgia. Several friends insist there is no such thing--all fibro is really a gluten issue. Hummm, maybe, I'm not sure. They are advocating I try to go gluten free for a week and see if I am cured, or better. I am thinking it over, but I'd really prefer to have a diagnoses first. I am never able to tell if things are effecting my fibro, and there are just too many variables. I have weeks at a time where I have no symptoms, so if I happen to go gluten free that week it would seem like that is the answer when it is just coincidence.

I can tell you that my celiac symptoms are pretty much exactly like a fibro flare up...and that as long as I stay off gluten, I'm fine. Within an hour of consuming gluten, I'm so achy and tired I can barely function.

I'm not saying that your symptoms are from gluten, or even that they'd be helped by going gluten-free. Honestly, there's pretty much no way to know that for sure without trying a diet elimination. Yes, there's testing...but the tests aren't exactly known for their accuracy, especially when there are other medical difficulties thrown in the mix. (And please know I'm not telling you not to be tested - just to understand that the tests are not the be-all and end-all of medical accuracy.)

It's not that difficult to go gluten free, there are actually a lot of mainstream products that are probably already in your house that are already gf. If you choose to try it, it's a lot easier than it was even a couple years ago; and if not, that's totally up to you and your dr. :) Anyhoo, just wanted to throw that out there...

It probably does cause a great number of issues for people who are intolerant. However, it is believed that only a tiny percentage of people are celiac (though more people than test positive) and that it's only several percentage for intolerances.

So if you are one of the 7% or so of people with intolerance? Yes, it can cause many different symptoms. If you're not, then it probably won't hurt you to go gluten free but....

My daughter has been GF for a few months and honestly believes it's made a difference. She's cited certain things she can do now that she couldn't before.

I can't go GF long enough to even guess if it'd help me.

The bolded part has been very true for me. I do not have celiac and I am not gluten-intolerant. I am, so says my doctor, "gluten-sensitive." I removed gluten from my diet about 6 months ago. I've lost 50 pounds yet done NOTHING else with my diet or exercise. I feel much better, and sleep much better. I have more energy and I've lost that phlemgy thing I used to have every morning. I notice that when I do have the rare gluten food, I get the phlemgy thing right away and I don't feel my best for the next day.

To the OP: I don't see where gluten is being blamed for everything, though. Maybe I'm not inundated with the same media as you, but I certainly don't see a blame game going 'round about gluten. I do see more gluten-free products, but that may just be because I'm looking for them now and wouldn't have bothered to notice before.

I'm not sure who posted it, but I did not know that wheat today differed in gluten content from wheat of years ago. I do agree that there is a major cause for concern about what is being done to our food.

I do believe there are lots of people suffering from Celiac and gluten intolerance. I am so glad they are able to find relief.

I am pretty highly functioning. Most people probably have no idea there is anything wrong with me. I use no meds--my treatment is diet,exercise, supplements and lifestyle changes. I am so much better today than a year to two years ago, but I do have flares.

Also, wanted to clarify, I'm not suggesting there is no such thing as Celiac disease or gluten intolerance--just wondering if it is being a little too readily self diagnosed.

Shannon

Just to comment on your fibro - have you looked at your zinc to copper ratio in terms of diet and supplements? I have read that too much copper in one's system can cause the same exact symptoms attributed to fibro. I know about nine months ago I thought I was headed to a fibro diagnosis; that is when I started researching. After reading, I started supplementing zinc (60 mg a day) and felt a huge improvement within a day or two. I have not been doing well with my vitamins this pregnancy and I can tell when I am getting low in zinc; all the same fatigue issues and aching issues come back (not sure how to describe what I was feeling but it starts coming back when I don't make sure I'm at least making sure I am taking zinc).

My only caution with this is that "normal" in current American society includes a lot of things that are really not normal, healthy, or good for a human body. There is a lot of miseducation out there (including the government still trying to convince us that "Corn Sugar" is perfectly safe). It's not. Our food makes us sick. Eating petroleum (many additives and colorings) is a bad idea. So I think that anytime someone starts taking a hard look at their diet as a cause of their sickness, it's a good idea.

"Let food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." -Hippocrates

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better since going dairy free! It took me well over a year to finally jump that hurdle too. :)

I totally agree with this. Many times intolerances can't be "tested" for with usual allergy testing, celiac can have errors in testing, and in many instances the easiest, least invasive, and usually the best way to decide if one has an intolerance to a substance is to eliminate it. The going length of time is 1 month to completely clear one's system, but often people feel some relief of symptoms after a week or so. Our food is often what is making us sick - just read the packaging labels as you walk through a grocery store. It is amazing what is in our food. Everything not only contains either gluten, dairy (whey), soy, and/or corn, but many things have petroleum-based artificial ingredients as well. Though it might be an inconvenient to eliminate an otherwise major food group from one's diet, if someone suspects there might be something amiss, it's worth it.

Oh and to address a comment upstream ... if one does eliminate gluten, for instance, any slip-up will cause a reoccurrence of problems if gluten was causing them. There is no "I'll reduce my gluten intake" or "I'll just have this tiny piece of cracker/cake/fill in the blank today" when it comes to elimination. The smallest amount can set one's body off ... so yes, if you eliminate a particular food group/protein/substance, and they you have *any* of it, chances are you will feel poorly and can attribute it to that "little piece of cracker" you had a lunch or even to that french fry that was fried in the same oil as the chicken nuggets and thus contained trace amounts of cross-contaminated gluten. Ask me how I know. :001_huh: Elimination diets for whatever one thinks is causing issues are all or nothing - there is no gray area.

I really don't think eliminating wheat/gluten is all that difficult. I do have a slight advantage because I am fine with rye and barley. Basically, that means I can eat generic cornflakes that have malt extract, or accept a beer at a party. I make a soup or stew with barley maybe every 3 months. Being able to eat rye means I can eat the Ry-Krisp natural crackers that have no wheat. Aside from that, I eat like most folks with celiac. I refuse to buy specialty "gluten-free" versions of foods that usually contain wheat since it's not in my grocery budget. I might feel differently about this if I had a GF child who missed pretzels or cookies, but since I am an adult I feel like it's no big deal to substitute rice/corn/potatoes for wheat. If you focus on what you can eat rather than fixating on what you can no longer eat, meal planning becomes pretty simple. I just don't think it's actually more difficult or expensive than eating wheat, at least in my experience.

:iagree: I have a limit on potatoes, personally, because they seem to produce similar reaction to wheat in me -- not as bad, but still...

I don't find it an imposition to give up gluten. I can get gluten free flour (a rice based one) for about the same price as regular ww flour, and it makes good gravy and muffins. I don't miss bread much either. It doesn't make me feel good. I guess that's another thing to think about -- how much better you feel without gluten. For me, it's a great motivator. :001_smile:

Amy,

I understand that, but what I mean is to be able to eat in all normal settings. Having a restricted diet is a major pain in social settings. To be sure, I'm not advocating eating Chef Boyardee for dinner and Egg McMuffins for breakfast. What I mean by eating "normally" is not cutting out entire categories of food unless you have a true medical reason to do so.

Other than that, I'm a huge fan of eating an abundance of fruits and veggies straight out of my backyard, organic garden; making homemade food nearly all the time, etc.

I think for many, the tricky part is defining "true medical reason". We did not consult our doctor before going Feingold (eliminating artificial ingredients), gluten free, or dairy free. As cool as he is otherwise (he's pretty old school), he also tends to ascribe to the idea that what we eat does not correlate to how our bodies function. I've had others tell me that when they talked with their doctors about possible food intolerances, they were shrugged off as not a big deal. Naturopaths and the like are much more aware of intolerances and much more willing to help uncover them and even test them if one wants (though again, tests are known for being inaccurate), but ND's and other alternative health care providers are often out-of-pocket expenses. So, the easiest and cheapest way to find out if one is intolerant of something is to cut it out and see.

This coming from one who is used to having to take our own food anywhere we go, who is shunned from most social events my my ILs because we won't just eat what everyone else eats, and who loves my mom to pieces because she'll go out of her way to make sure she cooks something/serves something/buys something that we can all eat. (Oh, and dh's aunt and my aunt are the sam way.) Yes, social eating is pretty much a thing of the past. So is going out to grab a quick bite - for us that means either Chipotle Grill or Whole Foods. But, I'll take what may seem to be major inconveniences over what life was like for us all before eliminating what we have eliminated. Just having ds#2 be able to speak has been worth it all and will continue to be worth it all.

Shannon, fibromyalgia is a catch-all phrase for a group of symptoms. Different things can cause these same symptoms in people. For some, it truly is a gluten intolerance. As for myself, I've been tested for celiac and gluten intolerance and that isn't my problem. I've gotten my biggest help from having different vitamin deficiencies diagnosed and treated and from being treated for internal parasites. I also do best on an adrenal diet which avoids processed foods, and is high in vegetables and low fat protein.

:iagree: I have a limit on potatoes, personally, because they seem to produce similar reaction to wheat in me -- not as bad, but still...

:001_smile:

This is what fascinates me -- it varies so much from person to person! Potatoes cause ZERO reaction in me, while any grain, including rice and corn, eventually catches up with me, so I end up limiting my grain intake to roughly 2 servings per week (and often go weeks on end with no grain at all). My symptoms are worse when I cut out dairy, so I never skimp on that. For years I could tolerate up to one serving per day of wheat and now I suffer if I have even a bite of wheat.

They are advocating I try to go gluten free for a week and see if I am cured, or better. I am thinking it over, but I'd really prefer to have a diagnoses first.

I went GF without a diagnosis and I wish I had gotten one. Go get the test. The standard test is a endoscopy. Bloodwork can be wrong from what I have heard.

From my experience a week of going GF won't necessarily help. For me it took at least a month until I noticed a difference. Now when I accidentally eat gluten I get such bad leg pain that I can't walk.

I hope you find that this helps you. I am pretty skeptical that going gf is the solution for everyone. It has done wonders for me though and I am thankful for a friend's zeal in convincing me to try it.

My theory is like that of vitamins being the answer to everything.

Think of scurvy and beriberi: a correction of a deficit is like a MIRACLE. People go from gaunt, gum-oozing to NORMAL very quickly. The collective wisdom clings to this hope for all of life's ills.

My last untreated gluten enteropathy patient had Vit D, b12, K, plus iron deficiency. His skin was a mess. He was gaunt and whining. A simple change in diet, which he complained about daily, made him blossom into a bouncing, smiling happy 22 year old (granted, still with a 6 year old's mentality). It was like a miracle from days of old.

Your life is a wreck. Your kids are out of control, your husband barely comes home, you are tired and grumpy and overwhelmed. Your stomach hurts, your head hurts, you get dizzy if you lift too much. Wouldn't it be incredibly wonderful if you could just change your diet and become Martha Stewart? Many of us do live lives of quiet desperation. I know many people who bounce from "great last hope" to great last hope: eat for your blood type, eat no carbs, have your blood chelated every month, take this pill, take 10 of them....free offer. And for each person who lives like that, there are 10 that get a "slight case" of hopeful hope on the latest science has to offer.

When my dad was in his late 80s he confessed to trying some expensive supplement. Mr. Sceptical! He literally whispered to me "I don't know why I did...I couldn't resist". This was the around the time he told me he'd give every penny he had to just be 70 again. Sometimes what we are buying is just hope.

</off soapbox/>

:iagree:

Gluten is simply one component of many processed foods that is easy to identify, IMO. Giving up gluten will often result in giving up a lot of processed food!

I also agree. Giving up corn results in the same thing - corn is in EVERYTHING processed!

I can't eat corn and my husband can't eat corn or gluten, and we're SO much healthier than we were a few years ago. I can't help but wonder how much is the resolution of allergies, and how much is the simple fact that we no longer eat any processed foods or chemical additives whatsover.

Another Celiac/GI family here. I think it is far more prevalent than realized and as pp stated it really can cause such a myriad of symptoms. I had serious depression- I didn't understand happiness until off of it. My 4 y.o. son was taking a knife to his wrist and hadn't grown in over a year. We had a whole foods/homemade diet.

I see a lot of people lament about how it is this catch- all and don't believe in intolerances and such. However, often times I see those same people display classic intolerance signs. It is worth it to us certainly to give up these foods. To be able to have a son who is growing, who is learning, who is not depressed- for me to be able to sleep(no more insomnia), is happy and actually able to get things done around here. So, many more things I cannot even begin to name it all.

However, I must say I resisted going GF for a long while. Was in total denial that it was the problem for me and my son. I did get to that desperation point- as I said w/ a 4yo that started taking a knife to himself and was not growing - you better believe I was ready to move heaven and earth to find the problem. I didn't divulge all the reasons to others irl but I know many did and still think I am looney about it. They really don't grasp the fact that gluten very much is related to mental health and all sorts of other issues. We started Feingold and gf/cf/sf all at once. I am not so 100% strict on Feingold anymore- as I let them have a sucker from the bank or other things if it comes up. Food at home is still homemade.

Anyway, this is a soapbox to me. Big time. I hear all kinds of crap about it- how well it doesn't exist- older people didn't have this problem etc. Don't buy it. Dh's grandpa cannot drink milk. My mil was the baby who couldn't tolerate any formula- as was her daughter. Dh's grandma now cannot hardly go anywhere in public as she don't know when she will have to go to the bathroom all of a sudden. Both my own parents apparently cannot tolerate milk either(man that would have been helpful info when my son was a baby). My parents evidently only drink it on the weekend at home that way they are close to the bathroom. Seriously, lots of people have various stomach issues- heck how many people these days have normal elimination?

Although, I do have to say that the difference between 90-100% gf is monumental to me. We were almost gf for a while but to go all the way, big difference. Having to worry about everything, knowing that out and about the food we might be able to eat is virtually non-existent. We are accustomed to it now but it sure can be a pain. Worth it, but a pain.

I advise anyone w/ health issues to give a gf trial a go. You really have nothing to lose. A gf diet is certainly a healthy one.

/soapbox off

I met someone who adopted a child from Korea who had classic, severe autism. She started cooking gluten-free for the entire family. It made absolutely zero difference for anyone except the autistic child. Basically, this child was gluten intolerant, not autistic. She had no symptoms of autism after being gluten-free for several months. So... I can see the value of trying gluten-free cooking to see if it helps if a person has symptoms that could be caused by gluten.

My theory is like that of vitamins being the answer to everything.

Think of scurvy and beriberi: a correction of a deficit is like a MIRACLE. People go from gaunt, gum-oozing to NORMAL very quickly. The collective wisdom clings to this hope for all of life's ills.

My last untreated gluten enteropathy patient had Vit D, b12, K, plus iron deficiency. His skin was a mess. He was gaunt and whining. A simple change in diet, which he complained about daily, made him blossom into a bouncing, smiling happy 22 year old (granted, still with a 6 year old's mentality). It was like a miracle from days of old.

Your life is a wreck. Your kids are out of control, your husband barely comes home, you are tired and grumpy and overwhelmed. Your stomach hurts, your head hurts, you get dizzy if you lift too much. Wouldn't it be incredibly wonderful if you could just change your diet and become Martha Stewart? Many of us do live lives of quiet desperation. I know many people who bounce from "great last hope" to great last hope: eat for your blood type, eat no carbs, have your blood chelated every month, take this pill, take 10 of them....free offer. And for each person who lives like that, there are 10 that get a "slight case" of hopeful hope on the latest science has to offer.

When my dad was in his late 80s he confessed to trying some expensive supplement. Mr. Sceptical! He literally whispered to me "I don't know why I did...I couldn't resist". This was the around the time he told me he'd give every penny he had to just be 70 again. Sometimes what we are buying is just hope.

</off soapbox/>

Kay, this is why I now go to MDs and/or NDs who test for things. I know that not all tests are blood tests, some are trials of diets etc. But I want to narrow the variables and get as scientific a diagnosis as possible. This is because I've gone 20 years and have spent thousands of dollars on one cure after another. I'm not sorry that I kept looking because I am finally finding answers. But I really started finding answers after I started to insist on hard science to back the diagnoses and treatments.

I went GF without a diagnosis and I wish I had gotten one. Go get the test. The standard test is a endoscopy. Bloodwork can be wrong from what I have heard.

From my experience a week of going GF won't necessarily help. For me it took at least a month until I noticed a difference. Now when I accidentally eat gluten I get such bad leg pain that I can't walk.

I hope you find that this helps you. I am pretty skeptical that going gf is the solution for everyone. It has done wonders for me though and I am thankful for a friend's zeal in convincing me to try it.

Disagree with this. I had an endoscopy 9 years ago when we suspected I had a gluten intolerance and it came back negative. So, I went about my life eating gluten. I did give up dairy about 5 years ago and that made a difference, but nothing like when I gave up gluten out of curiosity about 3 months ago. Remember that the endoscopy test only checks for celiac- damage to the intestines. Not an intolerance or allergy, etc. Just go GF. But do it for at least a month or you may not see a difference. And it's free. A hassle, but totally free and without risks. Why not try it? Fear that it won't work or fear that it will?

Margaret

Edited by Margaret in GA

With a proper study of science you cannot be sold a bill of goods like this recent debacle. Sorry but caveat emptor applies to ideas as well. If you cannot spot absolute bs mumbo jumbo being passed off as science then you deserve to be taken in.

I wouldn't write it off so quickly. Wheat is such a staple that it is pretty hard to get anyone to seriously consider that it might be contraindicated for more than a small percentage of humans.

It is too early to know for sure, but there are some intriguing results out there that aren't quackery, like this paper. Not conclusive by any means, but it makes you go hmmmm.

There's at least one mainstream MD (a cardiologist) who is impressed with the results in his patients when they go wheat-free: Heart Scan Blog. Another mainstream MD (a radiologist) has written extensively on this as well: PāNu.

Three other non-quacks include Stephen Guyunet, a neurology PhD who writes Whole Health Source; Petro Dobromylskyj, a British veterinarian who writes Hyperlipid; and Art Ayers, a cell biologist who writes Cooling Inflammation. All of them have expressed concerns about gluten consumption for a larger percentage of the population than those that are celiac by biopsy.

Personally, I do think that gluten is a problem for some people who would test negative for celiac by intestinal biopsy. I believe the cause is poor intestinal health, related to changes in gut flora and the loss of tight junctions. Ultimately, I believe the underlying cause will be shown to be diet and other lifestyle factors. I'm particularly interested in the research of Alessio Fasano's group on gut integrity and autoimmunity.

Edited by jplain

The standard test is a endoscopy. Bloodwork can be wrong from what I have heard.

Endoscopy can be wrong too, as the intestinal lesions are often patchy enough that they're missed during endoscopy. Some physicians are now recommending that a diagnosis of celiac be made with even if the biopsy is negative, assuming other conditions are met. I can dig up references, if anyone wants them.

I went GF without a diagnosis and I wish I had gotten one.

Can I ask why? It sounds like you have a really dramatic response to gluten challenge, with debilitating leg pain. Why would you have wanted to undergo an endoscopy, with its associated risks, when a simple elimination and challenge had such dramatic results?

That may be true, but so many foods have gluten that any difference in wheat would not alone account for the number of celiacs being diagnosed.

My friend, who is the worst-case-scenario celiac, says that it takes an average of 7 years for someone to receive a diagnose of celiac disease. :glare:

I haven't read all the posts. I do think it is being blamed for everything under the sun. However, I think there are enough people out there that do respond to a gluten free diet, that if someone is suffering and there is any indication it could be causing problems, it's totally worth it to make some dietary changes for a trial period and see if they get some relief. I think that's why it's recommended so often. It's a harmless, fairly easy thing that can be tried and may really help.

My son has been gluten free for 8 years. We put him on a gluten free diet when we were at our wit's end and his future was looking bleak. We didn't believe for a second it was going to help, but we were so desperate, we were ready to try anything. Within a week, we had a miracle. It would have been tragic for our whole family if we had never tried it.

Lisa

My mom didn't know that she has celiac until she was in the hospital for a lung removal. The doctors couldn't figure out why her blood count was so low. They thought she was bleeding out, she was so anemic.

After having her swallow a camera that took pictures of her GI tract, they saw that the intestinal villi were practically nonexistent, so she wasn't absorbing nutrients. At about 70 years old, she had to stop eating gluten AND learn how to live with one lung, on oxygen nearly all the time.

She had no apparent symptoms at all except some bloating, which seemed to be linked to foods like cucumbers, not wheat.

Could you describe a little more what was going on? Thanks

My son has been gluten free for 8 years. We put him on a gluten free diet when we were at our wit's end and his future was looking bleak. We didn't believe for a second it was going to help, but we were so desperate, we were ready to try anything. Within a week, we had a miracle. It would have been tragic for our whole family if we had never tried it.

Lisa

I wanted to hear lots of different opinions, and I got them. I'm still pondering. It's not a simple issue. I'd like to respond to specific posts, but will have to do it later. Today is a busy day. Just wanted to pop in to say thank you to all who contributed so far.

Shannon

Could you describe a little more what was going on? Thanks

He had major language delays. He was not able to play. He had sensory issues. No matter what he tried to do, he would get extremely upset. For example, if he was playing with the train set and the trains weren't moving the way he wanted, he'd be whining and crying. This went on all day long. At every meal, he would whine and cry about whatever food I put before him. I used to put his food out and then go upstairs and turn the blowdryer on so I wouldn't hear him because it was so upsetting. The worst thing was that he was extremely oppositional and irritable. If I wanted to take him outside, he would fight me, if we were getting in the car, he would fight me, if I tried to put his socks on, he would fight me. It didn't matter what it was, he just fought me on everything and I often had to physically drag him to get him to go where I needed to go.

After he went gluten free, his language skills improved about 1 year's worth in 6 weeks. (We had him evaluated right before we went gluten free and when I took him back for his first speech session the SLP couldn't believe it was the same child.) He would sit and do an activity and he was able to play happily. All my friends commented how they had never seen him participate in "X" many, many times over the next few months. Best of all, he became the sweet, dear, loving child I always hoped he was. It still brings tears to my eyes when I think of it.

The biggest regret of my life is that I did not start him on this diet when I first heard about it when he was 2. He was 3 when we finally did it and I believe he would not be struggling with the language-based lds that he has if I would have changed his diet sooner.

Lisa

Endoscopy can be wrong too, as the intestinal lesions are often patchy enough that they're missed during endoscopy. Some physicians are now recommending that a diagnosis of celiac be made with even if the biopsy is negative, assuming other conditions are met. I can dig up references, if anyone wants them.

I didn't know this.

Can I ask why? It sounds like you have a really dramatic response to gluten challenge, with debilitating leg pain. Why would you have wanted to undergo an endoscopy, with its associated risks, when a simple elimination and challenge had such dramatic results?

Clearly I am happy with the results of my diet and I am not going to change them for any test. However I have some sypmtoms that have never gone away and it frustrates me not to know what is going on with my body. Is it celiac or some other condition that is dramatically helped by a gf diet? I actually eat SCD-completely grain free because it makes a huge difference in my health.

I would not change my diet, I just want to know. Does that make sense?