Menu

Update on prayer request for my Jonathan...

Well, he was doing so well after his surgery...sitting in his chair on Friday and Saturday, watching ballgames, and being very responsive. And then he woke up on Sunday and things were just "different". He couldn't move his head because it was so stiff, no talking, lethargic, vomiting began, and then the 5 minute grandmal seizure later that night. I was devastated. And the seizures continued...this is not how it was supposed to be. Turns out he had developed chemical meningitis. Treatment began and we didn't see any improvements until late yesterday. He is back up in his chair today and we are hopeful and prayerful that this will continue and that he can possibly go home this weekend. The meningitis will take a week or two to clear up. They are still saying that we shouldn't make any inferences for longterm seizure control based on what we are seeing now, but it is hard.

I need to write down some things (thoughts that are by no means profound) that can help me put some words to my thoughts:

It is very hard to watch your child suffer - surely God himself is aquainted

with our sorrows.

God's plans are definitely not my plans.

I don't serve God because of what he does, but because of who He is. But sometimes I "imagine" that I would like him to DO what seems reasonable to me....not really, just evidence of my utter dependence on him and how truly

arrogant I can be to pretend to tell the God of the universe what he is doing wrong. (I truly am glad that He is in control)

Our 12 year old said as he and dad were having family devotions around the table based on our study of James, "You know, if God didn't use our suffering to teach us things, He would be mean.". Hmmmm.....hate that I missed out on that discussion.

In light of eternity, difficulties are temporary and should always be viewed through the lens of who God is. When I don't, my view of God isn't what it ought to be and it is easy to become discouraged.

We really don't have the strength to endure without his supernatural enabling. When I'm weak, He really is strong.

Knowing people are praying for you is a huge encouragement.

Thanks again for praying! ....and for letting me ramble.

Oh Penny :grouphug:

I'm SO sorry for this difficult time you are going through. I pray with you that this is no indicator of future seizure control and I praise His faithfulness alongside you.

My dd has a seizure disorder and I know how painful and difficult it is to watch your "baby" suffer in that way.

God Bless you and your family, and bring healing to your son. :grouphug:

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-Tina ~

-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

http://seasonsoflearning.blogspot.com/

Thank for updating us.

I agree with the medicos. Wait until the meningitis is gone before making any final decisions on the outcome of the surgery.

I so sorry about the meningitis on top of everything else J has had to go through recently.

:grouphug: thoughts and prayers for your and yours.

Well, he was doing so well after his surgery...sitting in his chair on Friday and Saturday, watching ballgames, and being very responsive. And then he woke up on Sunday and things were just "different". He couldn't move his head because it was so stiff, no talking, lethargic, vomiting began, and then the 5 minute grandmal seizure later that night. I was devastated. And the seizures continued...this is not how it was supposed to be. Turns out he had developed chemical meningitis. Treatment began and we didn't see any improvements until late yesterday. He is back up in his chair today and we are hopeful and prayerful that this will continue and that he can possibly go home this weekend. The meningitis will take a week or two to clear up. They are still saying that we shouldn't make any inferences for longterm seizure control based on what we are seeing now, but it is hard.

I need to write down some things (thoughts that are by no means profound) that can help me put some words to my thoughts:

It is very hard to watch your child suffer - surely God himself is aquainted

with our sorrows.

God's plans are definitely not my plans.

I don't serve God because of what he does, but because of who He is. But sometimes I "imagine" that I would like him to DO what seems reasonable to me....not really, just evidence of my utter dependence on him and how truly

arrogant I can be to pretend to tell the God of the universe what he is doing wrong. (I truly am glad that He is in control)

Our 12 year old said as he and dad were having family devotions around the table based on our study of James, "You know, if God didn't use our suffering to teach us things, He would be mean.". Hmmmm.....hate that I missed out on that discussion.

In light of eternity, difficulties are temporary and should always be viewed through the lens of who God is. When I don't, my view of God isn't what it ought to be and it is easy to become discouraged.

We really don't have the strength to endure without his supernatural enabling. When I'm weak, He really is strong.

Knowing people are praying for you is a huge encouragement.

Thanks again for praying! ....and for letting me ramble.

Your strength and faith are amazing. Your son is wise beyond his years.

Watching children suffer is the worst thing to endure. :grouphug:

We have had many conversations in our home lately about the nature of God in relation to the seemingly endless hardships in our lives during the past year. How can God be good and allow so much suffering? I never thought my children would need to ask these kinds of questions and encounter these painful realities at a young age, but it is what it is. I will continue to lift up all of you in prayer for peace and for complete recovery for your son. Thank you for sharing these beautiful words of faith and encouragement.

The chemical meningitis has really set Jonathan's recovery back. He has had a flare up in his seizures from it and is in quite a bit of pain also. At this point I don't even have a guess as to how much longer he will be in the hospital. I'm going home today to be with the kids and dh will stay with him. The kids at home are feeling the stress and I hope to go ride bikes with them or just do something fun.

Thanks for praying.

I remain prayerfully hopeful.

Penny

Continuing to pray, Penny. I hope that you can recharge while with your other children. Your dh needs this special time with Jonathan too.

You are right - he told Jonathan he wanted him to feel better so they could watch football together today. Unfortunately when he stayed with him on Thurs. night he had 8 grandmal seizures -not that he didn't handle it well, I just hated it for them both!.