Menu

Strange moral dilemma for me regarding my professor. (heavy CC)

Well, I'm an atheist, so I wouldn't normally feel that I had any input on a Christian conversation at all!

I think it would be a good idea to talk with the department chair about this. It's a matter of cultural sensitivity, and public universities and colleges do care about this issue. Even if it doesn't cause any immediate change, it may have a long-term positive effect. For example, a section on religious sensitivity may be inserted into a future training session for faculty.

Honestly, I am atheist and still think she should go directly to the professor first and make a request on a person-to-person level. I would be far more offended if a boss came to speak to me about something that a student could have addressed with me personally. It would make me feel embarrassed and upset and I would not have a lot of respect for the student.

And as an atheist in this role, I would be fine changing my language. But of course, I would need to be made aware of the situation in the first place, and as I've said I think that would best be accomplished by waiting after class or going to the professor's office hours, pulling her aside, and saying "I don't expect you to stop saying "G-d" in class, but it hurts me to hear that and I would greatly appreciate if you would try to stop saying that during lectures." I don't see how any reasonable person would not at least try to stop. If the professor turns out to be a jerk about it, then at that point I would consider going to the department head.

Students in college classes are expected to exhibit some form of adult behavior, speaking directly to a professor about such a concern is an adult thing to do. And since most college students are far from adult, I just can't help but think the professor would be impressed by your simple, direct request. I KNOW she would be more impressed with that than you going behind her back, straight to the department head.

Edited by OH_Homeschooler

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I might tell you a story about my mom: one of the most lovely, faithful, devoted Christians, imho. She was terrible with saying, "Oh God" or "Oh Lord". She grew up hearing from everyone around her. My father tried for almost 50 years to get her to quit. She tried to quit. She prayed and asked for help. It was a bad habit, and as we all know, habits are very, very hard to stop. When my dad would be getting on her about it, she would say, "I'm trying, but I have to believe that God is much more patient with my bad habits than you are." Even though she improved greatly, she never did quite conquer that habit. I will assure you there was never, ever any intent to blaspheme.

All that to say that maybe you need to be a little more patient with your professor and give her some grace. All the more so if she isn't Christian.

I would look at it this way. You aren't paying her to blaspheme, you are paying her to teach. She happens to blaspheme at the same time, but that is not what your money is going towards. If you buy a shirt you pay for the shirt. The seamstress may have blashphemed while making it, but you didn't pay her for that, you paid her for the education.

Kind of like eating food that was offered to idols...

Katie

I'm going to say this as gently as I can, but I don't think she is commiting the sin of blasphemy. To commit "the sin of blasphemy" she has to have a heart knowledge that this is what she is doing. If YOU are convinced by the Holy Spirit that saying "Oh my god" in anyway other way than directly to Him, you would be sinning. That is a conviction that you hold. She on the other hand doesn't hold to that conviction, nor does she knowingly use it to put Him down.

I think of this like where Paul says...some eat only vegetables, some eat meat. The one who eats only vegetables faith is weaker than he who eats meat. (total paraphrase, but I'm in a bit of a hurry)

Blasphemy is serious charge, and I truly do not believe anyone can commit it without the express intent too commit it. Also, the foundation you are interpreting this from is the old covenant...remember there where many times Jesus was accussed of blasphemy, because he didn't follow the letter of the law...but the spirit.

Or you can consider well Paul calls Peter on the carpet about putting Old testament rules on new believers...and how they resolved not to hinder the new believers with a bunch of rules.

Just some things to consider....I personally wouldn't have a problem paying the salary of a non-believer (so to speak), I'm sure she has already experienced enough judgement by well meaning Christians...I'm sure Peter was a pretty foul mouthed fisherman, and I don't think that magically went away upon meeting Jesus :D

Take care...and I don't think God will hold being generous against you.

Well, I'm an atheist, so I wouldn't normally feel that I had any input on a Christian conversation at all!

In this case, though, I think I might have something useful to contribute.

I worked at public universities for many years, and I can tell you that if someone had complained to me about the language used by a person who worked for me, I would have taken it seriously, spoken with the employee in question, and expected them to try to be more considerate in the future.

I think it would be a good idea to talk with the department chair about this. It's a matter of cultural sensitivity, and public universities and colleges do care about this issue. Even if it doesn't cause any immediate change, it may have a long-term positive effect. For example, a section on religious sensitivity may be inserted into a future training session for faculty.

I'm a Christian but to be honest I found this to be the best answer yet!! I totally would take her advice!

Honestly, I am atheist and still think she should go directly to the professor first and make a request on a person-to-person level. I would be far more offended if a boss came to speak to me about something that a student could have addressed with me personally. It would make me feel embarrassed and upset and I would not have a lot of respect for the student.

Sorry, I wasn't clear -- I agree with you that the best first step should be to talk with the professor. But if she's not comfortable doing that, talking with the department chair or the campus diversity officer is a reasonable alternative.

I had a conversation with my step-dad once. It went something like this:

Setting: sitting around, being cozy. Everyone's in a good mood.

me: "what was your dad's name again?"

him: "Jaques."

me: "wouldn't it be weird to hear your dad's name as a swear or exclamation? Like if I dropped a dish, 'Oh Jaques!' or if someone cut me off in traffic, 'Jaques dammit!' that would be so weird, wouldn't it? I mean, how would that make you feel?"

him: "that would really tick me off."

me: "ya. That's how I feel when I hear the Lord's name taken in vain. His name means a lot to me, just like your father's name means a lot to you."

You get the idea. Bethany, I agree that we cannot hold unbelievers to the standard of believers. It's not fair to expect them to live in a way that honours God and come down on them when they don't. I agree we must release them of that responsibility. But I also believe that you are feeling you need to do something not because of the pay, but because if you do NOTHING then you are condoning it. Would Jesus sit there and not do anything? No, He would do something. He would likely overturn the tables in righteous anger. Not that you should do that LOL! But you must do something. He will guide you if you let Him. Be open to His leading and He will speak through you when the time is right. :grouphug:

I thought I might tell you a story about my mom: one of the most lovely, faithful, devoted Christians, imho. She was terrible with saying, "Oh God" or "Oh Lord". She grew up hearing from everyone around her. My father tried for almost 50 years to get her to quit. She tried to quit. She prayed and asked for help. It was a bad habit, and as we all know, habits are very, very hard to stop. When my dad would be getting on her about it, she would say, "I'm trying, but I have to believe that God is much more patient with my bad habits than you are." Even though she improved greatly, she never did quite conquer that habit. I will assure you there was never, ever any intent to blaspheme.

Similar story here - and my mom is a former nun (i.e., extremely religious). In fact, I never realized there was an issue with the phrasing until I was well into adulthood and friends with people of other Christian faiths.

I won't pretend to be any kind of expert on blasphemy (obviously LOL) but in the case of the teacher, it seems like the blasphemy is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. That is, I doubt the teacher considers her words to be blasphemy.

If I were in your shoes, I might consider either an in-person chat or an anonymous note offering some "education" on the subject, if that would make you feel better enough to not drop the class.

Edited by wapiti

Sorry, I wasn't clear -- I agree with you that the best first step should be to talk with the professor. But if she's not comfortable doing that, talking with the department chair or the campus diversity officer is a reasonable alternative.

Oh OK. :001_smile:

I think the suggestion to go to the diversity officer and speak about the issue (regardless of the outcome of an initial discussion with the professor) in a general way is a good one. This could be a positive way to bring it up with an appropriate person who has the job of educating the staff of a university on cultural issues without pointing the finger at a particular professor. I think a lot of people simply need a reminder that certain things could be considered offensive even though they've gotten used to saying them.

It's a matter of cultural sensitivity, and public universities and colleges do care about this issue. Even if it doesn't cause any immediate change, it may have a long-term positive effect. For example, a section on religious sensitivity may be inserted into a future training session for faculty.

Sounds great - but just how far does religious sensitivity have to go?

If I teach about astronomy and a Christian student is offended that I mention the universe being much older than the several thousand years she believes? Do I have to be sensitive? Do I have to count her answer correct if she puts what she believes rather than what the astronomy books says?

If I talk about Galileo and discuss the inquisition, that probably would offend some, too.

And if were to discuss evolution, oh my, how many people could be offended by that!

And if I, as a woman, demand something form a male muslim student, should he be allowed to refuse?

The list goes on and on... another big one would be for instance the prohibition against images... now how do you teach certain classes without???

Demanding religious sensitivity at a university sounds like a great plan - only in practice it is an extremely slippery slope and not at all easy to decide what is sensible and what would compromise the quality of the education of the students who do not adhere to that particular religion.

Oh, dear, I'm quoting myself!

I just talked with a friend of mine who is a professor at a community college, and he told me that if the campus doesn't have a diversity officer, they probably have a "campus ombudsman" or someone else in the human resources department whose job it is to handle these kinds of things. If you were to go to him or her and say, "I don't want to get my professor in trouble, but I'm just not comfortable addressing this issue with her myself," he thought that person would do a good job of bringing the issue to the professor's attention without singling you out or making the professor overly uncomfortable.

There is pretty much nothing I hate hearing worse than blasphemy. I'd rather if she used other four letter curse words than blaspheme. Ok, maybe an f-bomb would get the same reaction from me, but that's about it.

-Bethany (who's a little nervous to hit submit)

I don't have any bright ideas about how to handle it, but just thought I'd let you know you're not alone. :grouphug:

I can easily tolerate any number of 'offensive' things--but I feel the same way about this. When people use God's name paired with **** I'm VERY uncomfortable. Not that I think they should follow the same rules as I do, or that I'm judging them personally--as a Christian it is just a difficult thing to hear. I don't expect non-Christians to see it from that POV, I can completely understand why they don't.

I have one child who will be in college soon--and this is a good reminder to those of us making choices about where to send our kids. I'd been more concerned with sexual, cultural and political issues--hadn't thought about this one.

ETA--now that I've read through this thread, I agree that possibly discussing it with her coming from a 'cultural' sensitivity standpoint might be the way to go.

Edited by homeschoolally

Wow. I'm going to take a very different approach. I do work at a Public 4 year institution, and quite frankly, at my this, as well as my prior institutions, professors have cursed, shown rated R movie clips with profanity (if they illustrate important course concepts), and even dressed a bit oddly ;-).

You cannot sensor speech that is not hate speech, etc. You may not like it, but then you really need to attend a small Christian college. Not everyone sees the world the way that you do, and part of going to college is learning to deal with others who are different -- and YOU CANNOT CONTROL everyone around you. If the professor was attacking your religion, insulting Christians, etc. that would be a very different story. She's simply using an over-used colloquialism. I believe (with my whole heart) that saying "Okay Guys" when addressing a group of mixed sex students is sexist! -- but breaking that habit. UGH. "Okay humans" just doesn't work :lol:.

Furthermore, I often laugh when people say that profanity demonstrates lack of education -- the most educated people I know curse the most. In fact one friend openly tells people "My vocabulary is the same as yours, plus all the extra explicatives! I win." :D The point is not to defend her, but to simply drive home that you must recognize that you WILL hear words and phrases that don't jibe with your religious beliefs in college. I don't think you will accomplish ANYTHING by asking the prof or anyone else to stop -- and trust me, she will know it was you -- or have a good suspicion if it is a small class. I would hope that she wouldn't be vindictive, but that's a gamble with any human being.

Yes, you want an education, but along the way, you are simply going to have to learn that diversity means accepting that not everyone shares your worldview, too. :grouphug:.

Edited by 3littlekeets

Oh, in the same way that if I routinely and publicly blasphemed the name of a Muslim god I would be accused of being religiously intolerant.

:iagree: And for those that find this blaspheming okay or never knew it was harmful, realize that it makes many of us GRIEVE deeply inside. It is one of the saddest things my ears can hear. Nobody is wanting to control anybody, but if you knew how it hurt me inside, why would you choose to say it, when another word would fit in just as easily for your point to get across?

[quote name=skueppers;2042140

I think it would be a good idea to talk with the department chair about this. It's a matter of cultural sensitivity' date=' and public universities and colleges do care about this issue. Even if it doesn't cause any immediate change, it may have a long-term positive effect. For example, a section on religious sensitivity may be inserted into a future training session for faculty.[/quote]

Yikes...I would NEVER advise this -- you don't want the prof to feel attacked or submarined. She could play very passive aggressive with nastier tests for the class, harder grading for all, etc...and it would never be something that anyone could prove.

And, as an other large state school employee, I cannot see our diversity office caring one bit! They'd give her a sweet speech and do nothing. They are concerned with other issues -- including sexual harassment, homophobia, race, disability and gender equity. Off-handed colloquialism would be considered "trivial" and silly -- and I am in the SOUTH.

Sounds great - but just how far does religious sensitivity have to go?

If I teach about astronomy and a Christian student is offended that I mention the universe being much older than the several thousand years she believes? Do I have to be sensitive? Do I have to count her answer correct if she puts what she believes rather than what the astronomy books says?

If I talk about Galileo and discuss the inquisition, that probably would offend some, too.

And if were to discuss evolution, oh my, how many people could be offended by that!

And if I, as a woman, demand something form a male muslim student, should he be allowed to refuse?

The list goes on and on... another big one would be for instance the prohibition against images... now how do you teach certain classes without???

Demanding religious sensitivity at a university sounds like a great plan - only in practice it is an extremely slippery slope and not at all easy to decide what is sensible and what would compromise the quality of the education of the students who do not adhere to that particular religion.

That's a question of content. I absolutely don't think an astronomy professor should change his/her teachings to the point where it's no longer science. In fact, DH teaches social sciences at a local college (why this topic is so near and dear to me) and discusses the idea of evolutionary psychology. Well, trust me, he's gotten backlash on this from students saying evolution is not real. He just says "This is a class in the social sciences and social scientists believe that evolution is a real process, and the belief system of choice in this class" and leaves it at that. If a student doesn't like that, well he's out of luck.

IMO, that is way different than changing your audible pause from "g-d" to "gosh" or whatever.

Would it help to view the word 'god' as a term and not a name.

A 'god' is something that is worshiped. The I AM is the One True God. 'God' is not his actual name. If your teacher were using the term I AM or Jehovah or Yahweh, I would see it as blasphemy, but give that 'god' is a generic term I don't.

Could you possible view it that way to make it through the class?

Here's the thing: The professor is not a Christian. You cannot expect her to behave like one. She isn't purposely blaspheming; she's just ignorant.

IMHO, this is not the hill to die on. I wouldn't talk to her or to anyone else about it. My vote is to let it go (and pray for her, of course).

What pops into my mind is this. Why don't you just say a silent prayer for her when she does this. She probably doesn't know she's causing you pain and the offense is to God not you. Just pray for her eyes to be opened. As you pray as well, hopefully God will ease your mind and give you strength to endure it.

Blessings,

Would it help to view the word 'god' as a term and not a name.

A 'god' is something that is worshiped. The I AM is the One True God. 'God' is not his actual name. If your teacher were using the term I AM or Jehovah or Yahweh, I would see it as blasphemy, but give that 'god' is a generic term I don't.

Could you possible view it that way to make it through the class?

Now, that's an excellent point. Is her god your god? If she's not a Christian, she's not talking to--or blaspheming--your god. :) When she says it, just remind yourself, "she's not talking to you, Elohim/Jehova/Adonai." ;) Even if she is a Christian, and you do share a god, she's probably not even really considering it when she says what she says. No more than I really mean a god when I say, "God bless you" when someone sneezes.

It's a habit. I'm trying to find another expression to say, even going back to my first language, to respond when someone sneezes. I think it will be very, very hard for your professor to change, though she might, or might not try. :)

I do hope this time with your professor doesn't grieve you beyond what you can possibly bear.

T.

Blaspheming God physically hurts me, so I understand your dilemma. What I don't understand is why so many will say to let it go...looking at it from a strictly word choice..if I had a professor that was saying "sh**, da**, fu**" I would feel a moral obligation to ask that I should not be exposed to that language in a class...they do have clauses in their agreements that require a classroom setting that is not 'hostile', 'abrasive' or 'abusive'...some people do naturally let it slip, but this is a professional issue...in any sales meeting/national launch I attended if anyone used this in a group of professionals they would be reprimanded...it's simply unprofessional...you are paying for an education and the utmost modicum of professionalism should be adhered to..I think you are in your right to talk with him professionally and kindly....if that does not work, then write a letter to complain...make sure to not limit it to God comments, if he's throwing a 'da**' in there....he needs to curb it for the sake of professionalism.

Tara

Why are many posters assuming that the prof is not a Christian? She may be a Christian and she may be even a very good Christian IMHO. Not every Christian see the expression "Oh my God," as blasphemy IMHO and I am certain the prof does not. It is probably just a habit of speech. I also see this expression as different than yelling the name Jesus or God in anger.

My 2 cents:).

Edited by priscilla

Why are many posters assuming that the prof is not a Christian? She may be a Christian and she may be even a very good Christian IMHO. Not every Christian see the expression "Oh my God," as blasphemy IMHO and I am certain the prof does not. It is probably just a habit of speech. I also see this expression as different than yelling the name Jesus or God in anger.

The way I read it was the professor was saying "God da**"....that is blasphemy in my book.

Here's my dilemma. I'm paying to go to this class. Which essentially means, I'm paying to listen to this woman blaspheme.

I asked my sister, who often deals with religious people, what she does is someone keeps mentioning God. She said "I just hear the word "good"." (We are not religious, and it gets old to have someone rabbit on about it in conversation.) I follow her advice. Try hearing "Oh Goodness" whenever she says "Oh God". If I can learn this trick, so can you. :)

Just a different perspective for when you speak to her - I taught University level courses. One day a student came up to me and asked me to stop gesticulating so much because it distracted her. So, the next class I spent so much time concentrating on not moving my hands that my lecture suffered, I was irritated by it and my students could tell so I went back to gesticulating. Your prof may spend so much time worrying about insulting you that the quality of her teaching goes down.

You have several good suggestions. If you are early in our return to college you need to know that you will be facing this often with more teachers most likely. I remember one that cursed so much that I just cringed each time. When I finally said something to him, he actually failed the largest project of the semester that was 75% of the grade, just because he could. And I couldn't get it changed. It had a huge effect on my GPA. I also had him for other classes later and I became his target.

One thing I had to remember was simply that according to my beliefs, God will judge them. Not me. We are told to be in the world but not of the world. God knows there will be things we see and hear that are offensive. He also knows that there are many who do not recognize Him or respect Him in the same way we as Christians do. Yes, you find her speech offensive. I believe that God does as well. You can ask for her to be more sensitive of your beliefs, but that doesn't mean she will or that she will be 100% able to use other terms. You may become a target as I did.

Some of my favourite people take very seriously the Biblical instruction to feed the hungry, visit those in prison, etc. They hear much worse and don't seem bothered by that sin over another.

Or as I once heard it said, "If you work at a pig farm, and smell like a pig, that doesn't make you a pig."

Or refusing to capitalize God when referring to Muslim beliefs? "Allah" is the Arabic word for God, not a specific name anymore than "God" is a specific name in English.

Thank you for this courtesy.

BTW, it is interesting how as a Muslim I get dragged into a discussion that was totally unrelated to my religion nor did any Muslims interfere in it. Gosh. (Or might I dare say, Oh, my God?????)

The way I read it was the professor was saying "God da**"....that is blasphemy in my book.

I originally understood that she was saying "Oh my God" but not "God d-", though now that I look back at the OP I guess it could be both (I think there's a big difference between the two, though I realize that others might disagree, including OP):

She regularly says 'Oh my G-d', or says 'G-d' in a way that is not at all religious, iykwim.

Oh, in the same way that if I routinely and publicly blasphemed the name of a Muslim god I would be accused of being religiously intolerant.

Actually, you could be accused of being religiously intolerant for not understanding that the "Muslim god" and the Judeo-Christian god are one and the same.

If you decide there is no other alternative, then I would advise that you overlook this professor's speech. You simply cannot expect a non-believer to behave like a believer. You chose to attend a secular college in the first place. You should not be surprised to find professors speaking and acting in ways that go against your beliefs. Taking the Lord's name in vain is just the tip of the iceberg - you will keep encountering situations like this. I think you should have anticipated it.

:iagree: I'd get over it or attend a college with like-minded people.

Personally, I don't find the use of, "Oh my God," such a big deal. I don't really consider that blaspheming. When I think of blaspheming I think of putting words in God's mouth. To me, it is far more blasphemous to say, "God said..." when he didn't then to say, "Oh my God."

To boil down that commandment to the words OMG is to seriously undermine the intent, in my opinion.

And yes, it would irritate me, but only because the use of slang isn't very professional, imo.

Edited by Daisy

Thank you for this courtesy.

BTW, it is interesting how as a Muslim I get dragged into a discussion that was totally unrelated to my religion nor did any Muslims interfere in it. Gosh. (Or might I dare say, Oh, my God?????)

You are more than welcome.

To expand further on my point, the failure to capitalize struck me (perhaps incorrectly) as intentionally offensive and insulting. Therefore it's not just ironic, as I mentioned earlier but also quite different than the casual use of "Oh My God" in modern American society. The response that seemed to imply that that was how it should feel for the original poster really took me aback. It really is not the same thing at all to purposely belittle the major beliefs of an entire religion as to use a common phrase that happens to offend a very small subset of people in religion. For one thing, in the second case, one may not be aware that anyone at all would be offended. In the first case you are doing something that serves no other purpose, however casual, than to offend.

Blaspheming God physically hurts me, so I understand your dilemma. What I don't understand is why so many will say to let it go...looking at it from a strictly word choice..if I had a professor that was saying "sh**, da**, fu**" I would feel a moral obligation to ask that I should not be exposed to that language in a class...they do have clauses in their agreements that require a classroom setting that is not 'hostile', 'abrasive' or 'abusive'...some people do naturally let it slip, but this is a professional issue...in any sales meeting/national launch I attended if anyone used this in a group of professionals they would be reprimanded...it's simply unprofessional...you are paying for an education and the utmost modicum of professionalism should be adhered to..I think you are in your right to talk with him professionally and kindly....if that does not work, then write a letter to complain...make sure to not limit it to God comments, if he's throwing a 'da**' in there....he needs to curb it for the sake of professionalism.

Tara

I must agree that it is HIGHLY UNPROFESSIONAL to hear this (OMG). In my many years of college and post-graduate classes, I guess I lucked out and never had a prof. that used profanity or vulgarisms or even OMG. Reading all these posts makes me realize just how lucky I was to study under professors who were gentlemen and ladies as well as outstanding scholars.

That being said, I just don't know what advice to give to you, OP. I understand where you're coming from and feel for you. I flinch every time I hear someone swear, although I don't ever comment on it. I don't feel as strongly as you do about OMG, but that really doesn't have any bearing on what *you* think and ought to do.

Whenever I was disturbed by ignoble acts, my father often reminded me that I should be above being disturbed by the behavior of a cad. (I have a wonderfully old-fashioned dad.) Not that we should be haughty or proud, just that the mountain should not bend to the wind. As dh would say, "be strong and let the water roll off your back like a duck." This is far easier said than done, and, frankly, I still cannot do it.

I think this comes down to the ever-vital issue of when to act and stand up for what you believe to be right, and when to turn the other cheek. It's never an easy question to answer. :grouphug:

Edited by Medieval Mom

It would (and does) bother me to hear that, and it *is* blasphemy.

I would transfer to another class if possible, or plan to take it another semester if the school is big enough that it's likely to be offered with a different professor.

If I absolutely needed that class, I'd take it and use the semester as an opportunity to pray for the professor. Either way, as soon as I was no longer in the position of needing to submit to that teacher, I'd write (and send) a sincere letter explaining my viewpoint. I would include a ton of humility in the letter, along with the statement that I felt I had an obligation to let them know that even if it's done unintentionally, it's a form of religious intolerance that may offend others as well.

Just wanted to speak up that I don't think the red portion is accurate. In fact, it is ironically backwards, IMHO.

Someone following their own moral/religious code that happens not to comply with another person's code . . . is not religious intolerance. Insisting that someone else follow YOUR religious code IS.

Many/most people who say, "Oh my God! That's a huge watermelon!" and the like do not at all consider it disrespectful to God or to any other person. I suggest that the vast majority of people who say that DO NOT EVEN KNOW that ANYONE is offended by it! I lived in Utah among Mormons in my 20s for several years, where I first learned that *anyone* minded that saying! I couldn't fathom how it would be disrespectful to God to chat with him. Saying "Oh my God!" or "God knows!" in random silly times had nothing to do with disrespect, but was almost a small way of connecting daily life with the divine. This likely makes no sense to those who deem it disrespectful, but please realize that your vision of God is not the only one around.

Intolerance comes into play, IMHO, when one person demands that another comply with their religion. I.e, France banning burquas. . . Nazis jailing Jews. Protestant/U.S. gov't driving LDS across the country and still demanding they abandon a core principal (polygamy) to attain statehood and maintain peace. . . . There are many examples large and small. . . personal and political. . . but, someone else blithely living their lives is not, in any way, a signal of religious intolerance.

Now, I happen to believe that blasphemy is saying disrespectful or evil things involving the name(s) of God. I don't think chatting with God is a problem for God. I don't think random talking about God or naming God would offend him whatsoever. Personally, I think God has much more important things to worry about. And, I think God appreciates any inclusion in our daily lives. That's MY religion. What if I actually felt it was GOOD (in God's eyes) to be mentioned frequently & casually? Now, I don't think that b/c I just don't think God cares one iota. But, I can totally see it as a reasonable belief system (and there are plenty nonreasonable ones that I nonetheless acknowledge and respect). . . But, what if. . .?

Now, I also happen to know that my office manager doesn't like to hear cursing. (She kindly told us this at her one year review several years ago. . . Running a business does not bring out my nicest language some days.) And, I happen to know that LDS folks (several of whom I count among my friends) as well as at least one other family I know don't like or are offended by the casual use of 'God'. Since I know these things, it is my obligation as a nice human being (and a civilized boss), to avoid cursing in my office and to avoid casual 'God' language when in the presence of those folks. . . That is good manners. However, when I fail to edit my language as I do ideally intend to. . . it is a lack of manners NOT a lack of religious respect or tolerance.

I disagree with this. I think there is a huge difference between using racially offensive words and using words that may (or may not) be forbidden by someone else's religion. I don't think it's appropriate to insist that the professor speak in such a way as to avoid violating the commandments of a religion (or even a specific interpretation of a religion) that she doesn't even subscribe to. If a Muslim student asked the professor to please cover her head, because lack of a headcovering is offensive to her religion, would anyone here think the professor should start wearing a headcovering?

Jackie

No, but if a Muslim student asked a professor to stop using a particularly offensive phrase, I would bet an attempt would be made to accomodate.

Hmmm. . .well, here's my perspective as an atheist, and I assume that some might consider it insensitive, so consider yourself forwarned - I feel like "not taking the lord's name in vain" is a rule for Christians. I would resent being expected to follow the rules of a religion to which I choose not to belong. If someone brought this to me, I'd try to be sensitive and might try to watch it, but I doubt I would be very successful at it. If I came into someone's house of worship by choice, I would be very mindful of their rules, but in a classroom I was teaching in? It would probably bother me to be asked.

Aha! I just remembered the old "catch more flies with honey than vinegar" trick my mother seems to embody. (I already told you about my dad's stiff upper lip / noble stance.)

My mother would somehow manage to COMPLIMENT the professor on her lectures/ speaking, especially on the RESPECT that she (Dr. So and So) obviously has for her students, how LOVELY it is to listen to a lecture without blasphemy, etc., how THANKFUL she is that she can feel comfortable in this class, etc.

I am NOT a master at this art, so I cannot, unfortunately, give to the key dialogue that would work it's charm. But somehow, some way, my mother would manage to COMPLIMENT the professor, while instilling a nobler attitude in the professor toward her work, yielding the magnificent result of the professor's speech being risen to a loftier, cleaner, more professional tone. The professor is thrilled, feels uplifted, feels empathy and respect toward her student; the student now enjoys the professor's lectures without the offending speech.

Anyone here know how it's done? While I've witnessed this countless times, I still lack the elegance of speech, and quick-thinking, to pull this off. :D Thus, I'm stuck with the "strong as a mountain" approach. :glare:

Just wanted to speak up that I don't think the red portion is accurate. In fact, it is ironically backwards, IMHO.

Someone following their own moral/religious code that happens not to comply with another person's code . . . is not religious intolerance. Insisting that someone else follow YOUR religious code IS.

Many/most people who say, "Oh my God! That's a huge watermelon!" and the like do not at all consider it disrespectful to God or to any other person. I suggest that the vast majority of people who say that DO NOT EVEN KNOW that ANYONE is offended by it! I lived in Utah among Mormons in my 20s for several years, where I first learned that *anyone* minded that saying! I couldn't fathom how it would be disrespectful to God to chat with him. Saying "Oh my God!" or "God knows!" in random silly times had nothing to do with disrespect, but was almost a small way of connecting daily life with the divine. This likely makes no sense to those who deem it disrespectful, but please realize that your vision of God is not the only one around.

Intolerance comes into play, IMHO, when one person demands that another comply with their religion. I.e, France banning burquas. . . Nazis jailing Jews. Protestant/U.S. gov't driving LDS across the country and still demanding they abandon a core principal (polygamy) to attain statehood and maintain peace. . . . There are many examples large and small. . . personal and political. . . but, someone else blithely living their lives is not, in any way, a signal of religious intolerance.

Now, I happen to believe that blasphemy is saying disrespectful or evil things involving the name(s) of God. I don't think chatting with God is a problem for God. I don't think random talking about God or naming God would offend him whatsoever. Personally, I think God has much more important things to worry about. And, I think God appreciates any inclusion in our daily lives. That's MY religion. What if I actually felt it was GOOD (in God's eyes) to be mentioned frequently & casually? Now, I don't think that b/c I just don't think God cares one iota. But, I can totally see it as a reasonable belief system (and there are plenty nonreasonable ones that I nonetheless acknowledge and respect). . . But, what if. . .?

Now, I also happen to know that my office manager doesn't like to hear cursing. (She kindly told us this at her one year review several years ago. . . Running a business does not bring out my nicest language some days.) And, I happen to know that LDS folks (several of whom I count among my friends) as well as at least one other family I know don't like or are offended by the casual use of 'God'. Since I know these things, it is my obligation as a nice human being (and a civilized boss), to avoid cursing in my office and to avoid casual 'God' language when in the presence of those folks. . . That is good manners. However, when I fail to edit my language as I do ideally intend to. . . it is a lack of manners NOT a lack of religious respect or tolerance.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: