Menu

What program did you use to give your child a firm phonics foundation?

Time for Chocolate

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I am using the method of Phonics Road to Reading and Spelling for the Kindergarten year so he will be ready for PR Level 1 in 1st grade.

:confused: I'm confused - is this a different program than the level 1? or is there a kindergarten program? I'm interested in doing PR next year for first grade.

We are using a combination of Phonics Pathways and Bob Books. It's working great and we love it.

We have the old Hooked on Phonics that someone gave us but my DD found the audio tapes realllly boring and too repetitive. The gal on the tape said, "let's do that again!" and my daughter rolled her eyes, looked at me pitifully and said, "do I havvveeee to?" She also just didn't seem to like the program. So, we'll be passing it on.

I did just buy Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading because it has such high reviews and I like to have multiple resources for a given subject. Haven't read it yet though.

So far I have just done our own spelling words. I have those word tiles that have the first 50 sight words a child should know and we've been doing 5 of those at a time. Reading them, writing them, using them in sentences, spelling them orally, etc. Once she has mastered them (can read, write and spell them orally) then we paste the words on her "word bank" a poster sheet hung on the wall.

I figure eventually we'll move to a formal spelling program but this is great for now and helps with her reading because she knows so many of the sight words now. Plus, Phonics Pathways teaches spelling as well.

For the Bob books, we've had great luck getting them at our library. We also got Phonics Pathways at our library first before I bought it.

I just used Phonics Pathways. Strictly no frills. We just read through it. Everything was done orally. He was too little to do all that writing (which I think is intended for older folks learning to read, anyway)....

We haven't done any writing yet either and in fact, haven't even done the games yet. Just reading through the book. I do intend to copy and do some of the games at some point...

No one mentioned this yet, but we use Reading Made Easy. It fits our style perfectly - short lessons cuddled up on the couch with no worksheets required - and it has been very effective.

I'm still on the fence with spelling. I tried AAS with my 8yo this year, but I must not be a die-hard phonics believer. We ditched it after Level 1 and are back to a Ruth Beechickish spelling style.

My oldest learned her letter sounds and basic CVC decoding from Leap Frog DVD's and the Word Whammer toy. When she started getting frustrated by the more advanced phonics, I looked through the selection of phonics programs at our local library. Of the ones they had available, Writing Road to Reading by Romalda Spalding looked the best. It wasn't the most easy-to-use program, but it worked.

With my 2nd, I'm using a combo of Hooked on Phonics (workbooks & readers only, no audio) and All About Spelling.

:confused: I'm confused - is this a different program than the level 1? or is there a kindergarten program? I'm interested in doing PR next year for first grade.

It is based on the O-G method of spelling. I found it in the back of the "Learning at Home: Preschool and Kindergarten" by Ann Ward. It starts teaching the basic phonograms, then dictating spelling words, just like PR 1, however it moves at a slower pace.

It is based on the O-G method of spelling. I found it in the back of the "Learning at Home: Preschool and Kindergarten" by Ann Ward. It starts teaching the basic phonograms, then dictating spelling words, just like PR 1, however it moves at a slower pace.

I don't want to be annoying but can you be REALLY specific about exactly what this is that you found? I have been on the HUNT for a program to use before we start PR1. You will make my day!!:tongue_smilie:

Does anyone know, would Phonics Pathways be a good precurser to Phonics Road? Does it use the O-G phonograms and spelling rules? (I saw that it includes spelling rules so, hence the question) :001_smile:. I am desparate to start a phonics program for my Ker that uses O-G but does not confuse him when he starts PR1 with different markings and methods. I know he should be able to learn to read with PR1 but I would like a specific phonics program.

Thanks for all of the replies!:grouphug:

Can anyone tell me the difference between Phonics Road and Spell to Read and Write?

Thanks,

Judy

Essentially, PR takes OG methods and plans them out for you AND gives you teacher training via thorough DVD instruction. My first year of home schooling I had SWR and I was overwhelmed when looking at it. I couldn't get a handle. PR takes what you need and breaks it down into daily assignments, then offers you a look at how to teach the program. Essentially, you get the planning taken care of. Another bonus is PR continues as a complete language arts program, all the way through high school Latin. It is comprehensive and incredible.

No, it's the same program, just at a really slow pace for a Ker. My blog has some "Letter of the Week" posts that illustrate how to take the PR letter sequence and instead of learning several phonemes per week, taking one sound and practicing using OG methods to create a slow pace. It really leads nicely into picking up PR1 in week 5, where the spelling begins.

I don't want to be annoying but can you be REALLY specific about exactly what this is that you found? I have been on the HUNT for a program to use before we start PR1. You will make my day!!:tongue_smilie:
Just wanted to encourage you to use PR1...at a slow pace. See my explanation above and take a peek at my blog. It really is easier than I ever expected and we are doing great. My 5yo is spelling 3-letter words, reading them, blending, and only knows 11 sounds! We're following PR, and other knowledge I've acquired about OG methods and learning at a pace that is appropriate for his abilities. We'll start PR 1 when he's 6 or 6.5 and he'll be in a great spot!

Does anyone know, would Phonics Pathways be a good precurser to Phonics Road? Does it use the O-G phonograms and spelling rules? (I saw that it includes spelling rules so, hence the question) :001_smile:. I am desparate to start a phonics program for my Ker that uses O-G but does not confuse him when he starts PR1 with different markings and methods. I know he should be able to learn to read with PR1 but I would like a specific phonics program.
It's my understanding that PP uses sight words that are not sight words. For that reason alone, I'd encourage the slower paced PR1. It honestly is So.Very.Worth taking the right pace instead of the quicker route.

I've been sharing love for PR since 2008. It's the bee's knees!

Here is our group discussion:

Pre-Phonics Road If you have ideas how to get started with Pre-K children or what your are doing before starting PR,...

I used the workbooks (because my kids like workbooks:lol:) and the readers from the Sing, Spell, Read and Write program to get them started. We did not do the spelling lists, we just read over the words. IMO it does a good job at giving them a solid start on early reading and phonics rules. DD was reading way above level after finishing this, but her spelling was not great.

Then I switched to Phonics Road for 1st grade. The first 4 weeks were all about learning the letter sounds and teams in the order that PR teaches them. Some of the vowel and consonant teams were a bit of a challenge at first, but we made it through fine. Now we are learning spelling for the first time, and it is going really well. We really do like PR!

I like the progression we chose because in K we had the fun readers and colorful workbooks and a few games that DD really liked, and then in 1st we got a little more serious in our learning.

Now that I know the PR method some, when DS gets out of the SSRW letter workbook, I will probably incorporate the teachings of PR into the SSRW workbooks to give him a head start on the PR method.

"learning at home: Preschool and Kindergarten" is a book by Ann Ward. I did a google, and here is a cathy duffy review

for it.

Judy,

I think pretty much any reading program will give you a good start. I think long term your spelling program is what is going to really make the difference. Why? Because it is repeated exposure over a long period of time that makes things second nature.

I would recommend you finish the reading program you have and then look at All About Spelling, Spell to Write and Read, Writing Road to Reading or Phonics Road. All can be used for reading instruction as well, but the focus of the first three is spelling.

Heather

I'm using Phonics Pathways as a precurser to Phonics Road. It doesn't use the O-G method but I'm teaching my dd all the sounds of the phonograms as we come across them in PP, actually slightly before we come across them. I think, as long as you teach all the sounds a phonogram makes, there will be no problem transitioning. PP also has no word markings so that will be no problem either. The spelling rules are included in the back of the book and a couple sprinkled in here and there, and are compatible with PR. I'm strictly using PP for reading, though.

It's my understanding that PP uses sight words that are not sight words. For that reason alone, I'd encourage the slower paced PR1. It honestly is So.Very.Worth taking the right pace instead of the quicker route.

!

I have not run across any sight words with PP and we are almost halfway through. But, if I do, I will teach my dd to read them phonetically because she is learning all the sounds each phonogram makes.

Edited by momofabcd

I have not run across any sight words yet with PP and we are almost halfway through. But, if I do, I will teach my dd to read them phonetically because she is learning all the sounds each phonogram makes.

I am on my second time through PP and I do not believe any words are taught as sight words.

We're ODing right now on phonics but it's working for my little guy. He's using ETC and MCP Plaid PHonics. We also play on Click 'n Kids and Starfall. Most mornings he watches Leapfrog videos (Code word Capers 2 right now) while I'm doing Math with the older two kiddos.

I have not run across any sight words with PP and we are almost halfway through. But, if I do, I will teach my dd to read them phonetically because she is learning all the sounds each phonogram makes.

A word of caution--the reason they are sight words is because they are not phonetic and dont follow any rules of phonics or their exceptions. eg the word "the." I explained it differently each time so that it clicked for the dc I was teaching.

When my dc used Phonics Pathways we learned sight words separately. My ds prefered to use Dick and Jane. I'm rusty on how my middle dd did it, but we used a variety of other things such as Bob Books & the A Beka supplemental booklets.

I used this because it was both free and very solid (Orton-Gillingham) but I did not do the spelling approach because I wanted to be faster and get them reading solidly before we added that part and I wanted more of a Spalding approach to spelling. That program does spelling the O-G way and would be, I think, terrific. I used I See Sam and progressive phonics for readers as we learned those phonograms.

But I plan to use Phonics Road this year for our spelling. I'm just focusing on reading first. Spelling could be done well and free or essentially free too. I found a free spelling information that is along the Spalding or Riggs line and lots of other things as well that I've linked here and there.

A word of caution--the reason they are sight words is because they are not phonetic and dont follow any rules of phonics or their exceptions. eg the word "the." I explained it differently each time so that it clicked for the dc I was teaching.

When my dc used Phonics Pathways we learned sight words separately. My ds prefered to use Dick and Jane. I'm rusty on how my middle dd did it, but we used a variety of other things such as Bob Books & the A Beka supplemental booklets.

"The" can be explained phonetically. 2nd sound of "th" and the long "e" Every "so called" sight word, except for around 5 of them, can be sounded phonetically.

Here is a link about sight words, showing how to teach them phonetically. I didn't see what the 5 actual sight words are? I think this page says there are 2, but I don't see what those are either... scanning quickly.

I think I read "5" from a post somewhere on this board by Elizabeth B, actually. :001_smile: But, I see you linked me to her page.:tongue_smilie:

I think if you stick with A Beka and just pare it down to what you and your child need it will be fine. I have used the old Sing Spell Read and Write, MFW K and 1st, Phonics Pathways, and ABeka. Oh and the BOB books which I did not like.

Too much jumping ship. There were aspects of some I just didn't like or whatever. I am using Phonics Pathways in conjunction with A Beka's Handbook for Reading (has all the charts in the back and it's really all you need, no flashcards or big charts unless you want them).

I like the straightforward way Handbook for Reading lays it out , very clean and uncluttered. I like Phonics Pathways because there is a lot of practice reading right in the book and perhaps a few more explanations. I also love their games.

I used the BOB books and just did not like how they introduced phonetic words as sight words. I also felt they didn't flow well with PP and ABeka. So, I did buy some of A Beka's readers and find they flow well with both PP and Abeka (of course). I did get Letters and Sounds cause my kid likes workbooks. Not because I think it's absolutely necessary. But he likes doing the pages and it keeps him busy while my 3 younger kids (3 and under) keep me busy. So yeah, busy work, not absolutely necessary.

I think that those letters and sounds type workbooks are good for kids who need to work on phonemic awareness. They are not necessarily busy work. They do have a purpose.

I think I read "5" from a post somewhere on this board by Elizabeth B, actually. :001_smile: But, I see you linked me to her page.:tongue_smilie:
Yeah, I remember 5 too. I just wonder what they are.:001_huh::D

we started out with preschool-kindergarten using the printable phonics sheets from

http://www.kidzone.ws/phonics/index.htm

http://www.kidzone.ws/kindergarten/index.htm

we then went to spectrum.....we started doing phonics when he was like 3-4 and asking what everything said and he's progressed into a great reader....he's now 7 1/2---worked and is still working for us........

I think that those letters and sounds type workbooks are good for kids who need to work on phonemic awareness. They are not necessarily busy work. They do have a purpose.

Yeah, I remember 5 too. I just wonder what they are.:001_huh::D

I looked through that list. Good question:001_huh:

"The" can be explained phonetically. 2nd sound of "th" and the long "e" Every "so called" sight word, except for around 5 of them, can be sounded phonetically.

Do you pronounce "the" so that it rhymes with "thee" all the time? Everywhere I've lived it's pronounced "thuh" or very close to that except when used for special emphasis, but I certainly haven't lived everywhere. We normally say, "I'm going to thuh store" unless it's one specific, special store and we're emphasizing it. I don't know of any phonics rule that explains pronouncing an "e" as a short "u," but there could be areas where "the" is never pronounced that way that I am not familiar with.

Do you pronounce "the" so that it rhymes with "thee" all the time? Everywhere I've lived it's pronounced "thuh" or very close to that except when used for special emphasis, but I certainly haven't lived everywhere. We normally say, "I'm going to thuh store" unless it's one specific, special store and we're emphasizing it. I don't know of any phonics rule that explains pronouncing an "e" as a short "u," but there could be areas where "the" is never pronounced that way that I am not familiar with.

But if the is from when we used to say thee, then it was shortened to the and now it ends up pronounced thu. A is the same way is should be pronounced long a, but we are lazy and pronounce it u instead. With both I explain the correct phonics, and how when we spell it we need to think of the correct pronunciation, but in reading and talking they are free to use which ever they choose.

All my kids start out using the correct pronunciation, but then quickly fall into what we use for regular speech, and still read it with no problems and not need for sight words. :D

This think to spell type of idea is used in many of the strongest spelling programs: Writing Road to Reading, Spell to Write and Read, All About Spelling, Barton Reading and Spelling, Phonics Road to Reading, ect...

Heather

But if the is from when we used to say thee, then it was shortened to the and now it ends up pronounced thu. A is the same way is should be pronounced long a, but we are lazy and pronounce it u instead. With both I explain the correct phonics, and how when we spell it we need to think of the correct pronunciation, but in reading and talking they are free to use which ever they choose.

All my kids start out using the correct pronunciation, but then quickly fall into what we use for regular speech, and still read it with no problems and not need for sight words. :D

This think to spell type of idea is used in many of the strongest spelling programs: Writing Road to Reading, Spell to Write and Read, All About Spelling, Barton Reading and Spelling, Phonics Road to Reading, ect...

Heather

Good to know. Too late for my dc now, though. However, one could argue that we need to go by how we pronounce it now; in fact, that's most likely what at least some of miy would have done.

Now the word "thee" is the singular form of "you" in outdated English & I simply used that for pronunciation? Did the spell "the" the same way?

Reading came so easily for my dd's, and also for ds once we addressed a vision issue, but not prior to that.

I also have dd's who like to pronounce all of the silent letters for fun, such as in night, which ends up as a 3 syllable word when they do that.

OPGTR - You can do 3 lessons/day or 1 lesson/3 days. I do 15 min/day w/my Kinder and sometimes that means a whole lesson while other times we work on the lesson/words one day and do the practice reading another day. It is scripted, flexible, and THOROUGH! I LOVE it!

:iagree:

i hope you can find something that works well for you

Age 3...sounded out names of cars (he could read only car names), Letter Factory, played with letters on fridge. I never named the letters

Age 4, began the early games in SWR and nearing 5, the cards. Read to him 2 hours a day and sounded out one sound a day (i.e. every time I came to a CVC with /a/ in the middle, I would slow and sound out each letter.

Age 5, learned all the SWR cards, did the Bob Books, pre-ETC

Age 6, got through the spelling rule cards for lists A-K in SWR, did ETC 1-3 for some near-independent work, moved up to level 1 readers.

Age 7 Did SWR with the AAS tiles, as he was doing so much other writing and had tired of numbering the letters. Felt his reading was a little behind, started PP from scratch and he took off. Dropped SWR for SWO to promote some independent work (and for spelling, rather than reading). Finished Reading Pathways, moved into level 4 readers and then did Victory Drill, and moved into chapter books.

Age 8, started chewing through McGuffey's Speller for word study. It has a phonics approach.

HTH. Kiddo was not a "natural reader" (I think it has to do with eye muscle maturity) but is a natural speller and has a good vocab and can hear the phonograms easily. Translating that into seeing print and saying it outloud has been the challenge.

I have used Abeka phonics for my first 3 kids- AWESOME!! Each of them started with the K-4 book and were reading short sentences well by the end of it (the cat sat). By the end of their K-5 book ALL 3 of my kids could read most kid books off the library shelf. They are all excellent readers, have never found it difficult, and read several years above their level. I really believe Abeka phonics is to take the credit. All 3 of my kids loved it from the beginning.

** We never did the Abeka phonics exactly as planned. In fact, I never even purchased a teacher's plan book (I was an elementary teacher prior to homeschooling my kids though).

Edited by Denise Allen
just realize you said Abeka took too long